HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 3:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
^ zombies walking around everywhere there, unreal how many crossing street, shooting up w needles in open, fights. Sad state of affairs in that area. (Lije many in the world) The last 10 years, drugs on the streets are crazy potent
That is the only area I truly will never go. The North End has its moments but nothing in Winnipeg compares. That area East of Main and North of Disraeli is our DT East Side for sure. I guess from all the shelters being consolidated.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 9:26 PM

Winnipeg 1958!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrQYULk3cLY

Driving through P & M, I couldn't help wishing I had a Coke....and could fly BOAC!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 2:27 PM

See David Steinberg pilot the River Rouge in 1971! The Richardson Building looks so lonely in that shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lWecz-Kyw

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
That is the only area I truly will never go. The North End has its moments but nothing in Winnipeg compares. That area East of Main and North of Disraeli is our DT East Side for sure. I guess from all the shelters being consolidated.
That's not the North End. It begins north of the subway (CPR tracks). Many rough parts for certain, but most of the North End, which extends up to include McAdam and Carruthers Avenues, is quite decent and is beginning to improve as younger working people are buying housing they can afford. The St. John's (Scotia Street) area is really beautiful.

Try Karpaty's for (arguably) the best Kielbasa in Canada. Some swear by European and others by Metro Meats, and check out Luda's for a great breakfast!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:20 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/10369728/...-winnipeg/amp/

This is exactly why we need a refinery in every province. 3 months to fix a pipe??? CN and CP are gonna be happy from this boon.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:33 PM

Better fill up now.

3 months to fix a pipe is reasonable. They might need to bore a new pipe under the river. I don't think it's as simple as dig it up and replace the pipe section. Even then, 3 months ain't bad.

These are the risks we run in society. Even if there was a refinery somewhere close, you still need to get the oil to the refinery (pipelines), then get the fuel from the refinery to the local market (pipelines), then truck it where it needs to go.

So I don't know if having a refinery here (Manitoba) lowers the risk much.

It is interesting the City recently had issues with the sewage pipe below the river at Bishop Grandin. Unrelated, but similar issues.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:49 PM

They'll switch to rail from Gretna. Minimal impact. I thought 3mths to bore under a river during spring melt/thaw was incredibly optimistic honestly.

If they can do that in 3mths, I don't want to hear any more excuses about how long and complicated building rural overpasses are.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:58 PM

It will be 2 years to get the pipe under the river. I don't think they have even started to design it yet.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Better fill up now.

3 months to fix a pipe is reasonable. They might need to bore a new pipe under the river. I don't think it's as simple as dig it up and replace the pipe section. Even then, 3 months ain't bad.

These are the risks we run in society. Even if there was a refinery somewhere close, you still need to get the oil to the refinery (pipelines), then get the fuel from the refinery to the local market (pipelines), then truck it where it needs to go.

So I don't know if having a refinery here (Manitoba) lowers the risk much.

It is interesting the City recently had issues with the sewage pipe below the river at Bishop Grandin. Unrelated, but similar issues.
It makes strategic sense in my mind to have a refinery in somewhere like Brandon, especially with its proximity to the small Manitoba oil fields. If something breaks again, it's a lot cheaper to get good from Brandon than from Regina. That said, strategic considerations of critical resources are often overlooked for economic concerns and I'm sure I'm completely out to left field with my imagined cost of a new refinery and that it'd be untenable.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
It will be 2 years to get the pipe under the river. I don't think they have even started to design it yet.
Whoops. I didn't realize that the conversation was about Imperial Oil's river crossing. I was talking about sewers in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:56 PM

The railway ends at Altona, doesn't go to Gretna anymore.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The railway ends at Altona, doesn't go to Gretna anymore.
I was going to say that. They'll have to either truck it from Gretna, or move it by rail from elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

used tp be 2 refineries here one on henderson and the other on panet some reason both got sold and taken apart ship overseas

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I was going to say that. They'll have to either truck it from Gretna, or move it by rail from elsewhere.
theres 2 pipes to the city one feeds shell the other imperial oil but both owned by imperial, does this affect both pipes?

ive worked on that pipe line thats now over 70yrs old

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 1:32 PM
What could go wrong?

I wonder if there is a need for redundancy in the City's fuel supply. I mean similarly to the Bi-Pole line for electricity, could the area use a back-up or distant parallel supply pipeline. I really don't know much about pipelines so...

This would probably be cheaper than setting up a refinery, but I really don't know.

Regarding to AJ's point above, clearly the additional Shell pipeline does not serve this purpose otherwise we would not be having this problem now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 6:48 PM

^^ The Imperial Oil location on Henderson in E. St. Paul was never a refinery, just a storage facility. There was a Radio Oil (ROCO) Refinery on Munroe Ave. I think that closed in the late 60s or early 70s. Also the Shell Refinery in St. Boniface at Panet and Mission. It closed in the early 80s and was dismantled.

Winnipeg needs to convert some transit lines back to electrical operation, certainly on the transitway and on future FX lines based on the 2025 plan. Trolley buses were discontinued in late 1970, the main reasons given were that it was getting difficult to get parts for the aging buses and expansion of the system into suburban areas was next to impossible as people opposed the overhead wires on residential streets. Flyer makes trolley buses for Vancouver, which will not be discontinuing its fleet.

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infr...vancouver.html

Overhead wires along a transitway would not cause anyone concern. Not only would the city consume less diesel fuel and use Manitoba's own hydro, but the buses accelerate better, and I think, are warmer in winter.

A Winnipeg built articulated trolley coach in Vancouver departs Harrison Loop heading downtown up Victoria, through the Diversion and then via Commercial and Hastings.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/e4...5d2ee7f56c.jpg

Last edited by Curmudgeon; Mar 20, 2024 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 6:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I wonder if there is a need for redundancy in the City's fuel supply. I mean similarly to the Bi-Pole line for electricity, could the area use a back-up or distant parallel supply pipeline. I really don't know much about pipelines so...

This would probably be cheaper than setting up a refinery, but I really don't know.

Regarding to AJ's point above, clearly the additional Shell pipeline does not serve this purpose otherwise we would not be having this problem now.
imperial oil owns both lines and can be switched to feed either tank farm. question is did the issue affect both lines?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 7:00 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
^^ The Imperial Oil location on Henderson in E. St. Paul was never a refinery, just a storage facility. There was a Radio Oil (ROCO) Refinery on Munroe Ave. I think that closed in the late 60s or early 70s. Also the Shell Refinery in St. Boniface at Panet and Mission. It closed in the early 80s and was dismantled.

question is why did manitoba get rid of all its infrastructure yet sask still has bc and alberta as well like we gutted ourselfs and gave up

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That's not the North End. It begins north of the subway (CPR tracks). Many rough parts for certain, but most of the North End, which extends up to include McAdam and Carruthers Avenues, is quite decent and is beginning to improve as younger working people are buying housing they can afford. The St. John's (Scotia Street) area is really beautiful.

Try Karpaty's for (arguably) the best Kielbasa in Canada. Some swear by European and others by Metro Meats, and check out Luda's for a great breakfast!
I know, I was comparing the North End to this area. Ie the North End has its moments (Manitoba Ave for example) "but"....

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
question is why did manitoba get rid of all its infrastructure yet sask still has bc and alberta as well like we gutted ourselfs and gave up
Good question. Perhaps the aging refineries needed significant investment to bring up to environmental standards. Shell for instance was investing in its new facility outside of Edmonton.

They are very toxic operations to this day, Difficult to imagine how polluting a 1920s refinery was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan