HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 12:19 AM

site

Last edited by Doodler; Sep 21, 2024 at 12:24 AM. Reason: incorrect info

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 9:41 PM

UBCO site

I've never posted a photo before - so if the image doesn't show up, I believe the link should work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/201471...posted-public/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 3:37 AM

Here you go buddy! ^^

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 4:35 PM

What is the yellow crane on left side?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 5:33 PM

Thanks! - any chance you could DM me an explain how to put a picture in a post..?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 5:43 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
Thanks! - any chance you could DM me an explain how to put a picture in a post..?
Within flickr, on the photo page itself there is a share button. Select (click) BBCode (far right of the top menu). You can select a size and then just copy what is in the textbox. You can select a reasonable size for people to view (I usually go for 500 or 800 pixels across which works for most devices.)

This will give you the tagged code for the photo and include the title and link back to flickr as well. If you're on a mobile device, you will need to request the Desktop site to get the share button to show up on some devices.

Kelowna UBC by Doodler, on Flickr

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
1333 Bertram

https://developkelowna.ca/projects/1333-bertram

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 10:39 PM

Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
That's 1333 Bertram, rental building by mission group, 19 storeys.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 12:08 AM

Kelowna city Planners support the 40 story tower proposal next door to the UBCO tower project

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...O_campus_site/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 12:10 AM

Conservative Party promises a second crossing built by 2032 as part of their election campaign:

https://www.conservativebc.ca/get_bc...infrastructure

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:51 PM

Where would a second crossing go? Kelowna needs a bypass, but I don't think there is a good spot north of the city since the west side is so steep.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Where would a second crossing go? Kelowna needs a bypass, but I don't think there is a good spot north of the city since the west side is so steep.
A 2023 report on transportation in the area recommends no second crossing prior to 2040. Options include a northern connection and a central connection; you can see them starting on page 42 (page 57 overall) of the PDF linked below. The report does suggest that adding a sixth lane to the existing bridge - along with other highway improvements - may benefit traffic flow in the region.

Central Okanagan Integrated Transportation Strategy

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:20 PM
Community Guy

I hope to contribute to this thread quite a bit more going forward as I will be in Kelowna a lot more over the next few years working on a few projects.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Kelowna doesn't need a bypass either, most traffic originates in Kelowna or West Kelowna, so the bypass only benefits a small percentage (there was a study done a few years ago, think the number was 94% originates in one of the two cities). Unless you are driving to a destination in the Okanagan, the Trans Canada through Kamloops is the main route through the province. Even driving from the lower mainland to Vernon is about the same time driving the TransCanada through Kamloops and 97 through Falkland, as it is driving through Kelowna.

Old Posted Today, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
A 2023 report on transportation in the area recommends no second crossing prior to 2040. Options include a northern connection and a central connection; you can see them starting on page 42 (page 57 overall) of the PDF linked below. The report does suggest that adding a sixth lane to the existing bridge - along with other highway improvements - may benefit traffic flow in the region.

Central Okanagan Integrated Transportation Strategy
I've read through this whole "study" and its pretty awful, and is only suggesting band aid hodgepodge solutions, having Harvey remain as the 97 (which is the key problem) and having it essentially change road types frequently between Peachland and Vernon, from freeway, to local street, back to freeway, to major local artery stroad, back to freeway, back to local artery, freeway again, and then local artery again. Just bizarre and awful.

Its full of agenda and not any real focus on needed infrastructure. The "recommended path" through the heart of West Kelowna is by far the most head scratching: Freeway between the Connector to West Kelowna's town core, there it becomes a local street clogged with traffic lights, after the town core it becomes freeway again all the way to downtown Kelowna, where it continues as the Harvey Stroad. Honestly, you get the worst of both worlds.

Kelowna doesn't need a bypass, as in a new highway going up the west side of Okanagan Lake, but it does need a new primary highway route (a new 97) to allow Harvey to become properly traffic calmed and transit based.

A new crossing, with a free flow route then following Clement Ave, and then following the old railroad RoW to at least McCurdy is the only real solution to Kelowna's transportation infrastructure.

This WAS the plan until it was all scrapped the last few years for the dinky bullshit "plan" we have now...

Old Posted Today, 3:49 AM

Kelowna doesn’t need a bypass, or a second crossing? That’s news to me. If I needed to go from West Kelowna to the airport, which a lot of people do, because there’s TONS of industrial out that way, you need to go THRU Kelowna and take the only bridge that is 2 lanes Eastbound. ALL commercial traffic needs to go thru the centre of the city. Imagine when the airport expands, as well as all the industrial development going on reaches new capacities. More trucks, more commuters from West Kelowna, more congestion on all other alternative city streets like Springfield and Enterprise that are already at capacity. Not to mention all the tourists from Alberta and East that travel thru town to Penticton etc. this would greatly reduce congestion in the city to allow better traffic flow for everyday use.

What would we do in an emergency? What if something happened to the bridge or it was our only way out of town due to a wildfire or, the bridge suffers severe damage and has to undergo massive repairs shutting down the only major connection to the Westside and lower mainland.

We need a bypass from Westside Rd to the Manhattan/old Mill to Clement and extend clement as a bypass all the way to the airport. This is the only logical way and I can’t even believe this isn’t being considered anymore.

Last edited by Repthe250; Today at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:16 PM

I should clarify I was describing a bypass that goes around the entire city (i.e. Crosses the lake at the connector / 97 interchange and goes through the hills before connecting back up to 97 near the highway). This is definitely not needed due to most traffic originating in the two cities.

However, I do agree the route between West Kelowna and the airport needs significant improvement. I don't think a second crossing is part of the solution, especially with the hefty price tag with a new crossing. The current bridge cost ~$150m in 2008, crossing at the narrowest point of the lake with infrastructure mostly complete on both sides of the lake. A second crossing would need to be longer and requires pretty significant land purchase and infrastructure on both sides. With the rising costs of construction (between 2008 and now, and then between now and when a bridge would actually be built in another 5-10 years), I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a 2-3 billion dollar project. For comparison, the proposed George Massey bridge in Richmond was in that same range. Not a perfect comparison, but close enough.

What I'd like to see is 97 turned into an actual highway (like Metro-One commented, changing road classification every km is ridiculous). With the new Clement extension, I'd like to see that become the "road", turn 97/Harvey into a "highway" and remove the majority of the intersections amd business access. It's already connected to the highway on each end of town, and trying to move traffic to the Clement extension and the back again does not seem very logical.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia