HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 12:58 PM

Dan Harper photo on Twitter of 201 Portage

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 12:59 PM

Dan Harper on Twitter - amazing view of Winnipeg at sunset

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 1:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Re-reading the article, I wondered whatever became of the proposed 150 room hotel that a developer was supposedly thinking of building on that lot if the Winnipeg Hotel was torn down? I get the feeling the city dodged a bullet, avoiding another empty promise that would have resulted in another empty lot in the downtown.
I believe the hotel/developer that was proposed for these buildings, but lost out when the Pollard's took over was the same developer that tried to build the Hyatt Hotel in the Keewayden Block on East Portage (138 Portage). They subsequently failed there too.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 1:41 PM
the first stamp is free

^ and that 138 Portage hotel project was almost certainly a scam too.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Stunning photo, thanks for sharing. I think I stared at it for 10 minutes. If only "Sky City" happened; it would have the perfect placement from this angle.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 12:46 PM

Postcard shot!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 3:59 PM
the first stamp is free

This is good news.

The Oake Family are good people. We of course need many more beds that these facilities provide, but every little bit helps.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
This is good news.

The Oake Family are good people. We of course need many more beds that these facilities provide, but every little bit helps.
Great to hear!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
This is good news.

Absolutely!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 9:15 PM

The department of Planning, Property, and Development has started the process to rewrite the entire zoning bylaw (currently about 550 pages in total). The process will likely take several years.

You can read/watch more about it here (jump to Item #16):
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=

It sounds like the City will be switching to form-based codes for all neighbourhoods built before about 1950 and stick with use-based codes for all neighbourhoods built after 1950.

Very excited to see this getting started! Rewriting the entire zoning bylaw will have a huge impact on Winnipeg (especially central Winnipeg) for decades to come.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 9:35 PM

Whoa nice! Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 9:53 PM

The city has yet to be informed by the Federal Government on it's application for $192M from the Housing Accelerator Fund, but the mayor is fully expecting the same response Calgary received regarding their zoning regulations.

Feds won't fund Calgary housing strategy unless city agrees to axe certain zoning rules

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 3:32 AM
surely you agree with me

^ where did you see that the mayor expects that?

I am hoping this is exactly what happens. Winnipeg’s application was typically meek. This is the chance for the feds to step in and force real change. It is clear in their RFP that the expect all cities to eliminate exclusionary zoning.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 3:33 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
The department of Planning, Property, and Development has started the process to rewrite the entire zoning bylaw (currently about 550 pages in total). The process will likely take several years.

You can read/watch more about it here (jump to Item #16):
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=

It sounds like the City will be switching to form-based codes for all neighbourhoods built before about 1950 and stick with use-based codes for all neighbourhoods built after 1950.

Very excited to see this getting started! Rewriting the entire zoning bylaw will have a huge impact on Winnipeg (especially central Winnipeg) for decades to come.
Hazel Borys, the new head of PPD is a big proponent of form based codes. She will certainly push this. Thanks for posting it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Hazel Borys, the new head of PPD is a big proponent of form based codes. She will certainly push this. Thanks for posting it.
I had to look up what a "Form Based Code" was, but it sounds like a terrific development tool; just what the city needs.

This forum is so edjucamational at time....

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:
^ where did you see that the mayor expects that?

I am hoping this is exactly what happens. Winnipeg’s application was typically meek. This is the chance for the feds to step in and force real change. It is clear in their RFP that the expect all cities to eliminate exclusionary zoning.
He was on the discussion panel for the Values For a livable City forum held last week and brought up Calgary’s application and response from the Feds.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post

Great picture, too bad the bridge wasnt lit up!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 4:48 PM

Quote:
I met with Hazel yesterday at lunch and she was very friendly! Since it's still the early stages of the bylaw rewrite, it sounds like everything is on the table. Hazel said she has already rewritten zoning bylaws for about 75 cities in North America, so yeah she has some experience haha. She emphasized re-legalizing buildings that used to be legal in central Winnipeg such as corner stores, duplexes, and small apartment buildings.

Might it be time for an article about form-based codes and how it's currently illegal to build mixed-use neighbourhoods even in areas that used to allow it?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 8:20 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I met with Hazel yesterday at lunch and she was very friendly! Since it's still the early stages of the bylaw rewrite, it sounds like everything is on the table. Hazel said she has already rewritten zoning bylaws for about 75 cities in North America, so yeah she has some experience haha. She emphasized re-legalizing buildings that used to be legal in central Winnipeg such as corner stores, duplexes, and small apartment buildings.

Might it be time for an article about form-based codes and how it's currently illegal to build mixed-use neighbourhoods even in areas that used to allow it?
I would love to see policies that allowed some of these mixed uses as of right in core areas. I saw a Youtube video some time ago where the topic was older neighbourhoods and how people used to set up storefronts as an addition to the house in the back. This is how you get some of the buildings on Corydon and others. The video discusses how this used to be typical and greatly contributes to the urban fabric of a location, but that now the way we develop suburbs (without even going into zoning and code bylaws), is hostile to this sort of organic development.

I can't for the life of me find the video, but allowing multiple uses and allowing more streets where the streetfront attached retail unit could be constructed without any red tape would be awesome.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I would love to see policies that allowed some of these mixed uses as of right in core areas. I saw a Youtube video some time ago where the topic was older neighbourhoods and how people used to set up storefronts as an addition to the house in the back. This is how you get some of the buildings on Corydon and others. The video discusses how this used to be typical and greatly contributes to the urban fabric of a location, but that now the way we develop suburbs (without even going into zoning and code bylaws), is hostile to this sort of organic development.

I can't for the life of me find the video, but allowing multiple uses and allowing more streets where the streetfront attached retail unit could be constructed without any red tape would be awesome.
This video maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHQizveO1c

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan