HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 5:05 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
I talked to someone who was awarded a contract to do work on this site. He told me the plan is still two 25 storey buildings with the second one to be started in two years. I don't believe this is new information. They worked on the Broadway build as well and things were constantly being changed/tweaked. He essentially said they are trying new things to be as cost effective as possible. He admitted to a lot of learn as you go (fake it til you make it?) He said the end game for baydo is to step into the Vancouver market once they've knocked the kinks out of their operation.
This is one of the most insane delusions I've read. It's a 400 plus unit twin tower project.

Thanks for the update. Still confused. Are those columns supporting the precast floor panels permanent? Did they previously pour foundations/ drill caissons for them and then back fill to support the shoring?

How much more for a longer reach arm for an excavator? I stayed at a Holiday Inn once and I would think a longer reach arm on the road side excavator would be vastly more efficient.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
How much more for a longer reach arm for an excavator? I stayed at a Holiday Inn once and I would think a longer reach arm on the road side excavator would be vastly more efficient.
It's saskatchewan. Surely someone had a grain augur they could borrow to push that mud up.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
There’s been 2 condos for sale in my 160 unit building next door in the last month, both sold within a week. Market is tight and our other developers continue to watch on the sidelines. Downtown needs this, no matter how messy the learning curve is for this young developer.
Downtown doesn't need Baydo. I wouldn't wish a Baydo build on my worst enemy.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
I talked to someone who was awarded a contract to do work on this site. He told me the plan is still two 25 storey buildings with the second one to be started in two years. I don't believe this is new information. They worked on the Broadway build as well and things were constantly being changed/tweaked. He essentially said they are trying new things to be as cost effective as possible. He admitted to a lot of learn as you go (fake it til you make it?) He said the end game for baydo is to step into the Vancouver market once they've knocked the kinks out of their operation.
Yikes. None of this inspires confidence --- not that anything about this project has so far. What a mess!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 2:52 PM

Wow I talked to someone, lol maybe he was wearing orange PPE, talk about fake news, maybe prove what you say before posting, any engineers out there to confirm this? This thread is becoming one in which no one knows what to believe anymore, maybe Ralfie can share some insights as he is the most knowledgeable person posting here.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 11:36 AM

Still, it’s a project that’s still going up faster than river landing and housing more people downtown than river landing lol. I only use RL because no local developer outside then has the guts and charisma to build downtown.

Most of RL’s contractors were out of town correct? That brings a big cost - these guys are learning and there’s definitely more projects to come - the first developer to actually bring a good chunk of people downtown in 20 years. Sorry we don’t have bigger city developers here that actually know what they’re doing? haha maybe these photos will incentivize them to come! The more the merrier since other developers here are twiddling their thumbs, making projects like “World Trade Center” - a empty commercial warehouse next to railway tracks their focus. Things could be worse - that company might be worse quality than Baydo lol - they couldn’t even put in two elevators in their “shangri la”

Look at how embarrassing this is for Saskatoon lol https://wtcsaskatoon.com/. things for the downtown can and will get worse if this Baydo project doesn’t proceed. Saskatoon’s nearing the century mark for quite a few towers and it’s going to be close to time to tear a tower or two down in our downtown. Maybe we should call the Saskatoon section of this skyscraper thread the “skyscraper demolition” thread since no one wants to build here and people get mad when folks do try and build haha

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 9:38 PM

Roryn, I won't take issue with your sense of embarrassment with Saskatoon's World Trade Centre, but I think your take on River Landing is off base on a couple of fronts.

The general contractor for No. River Landing and the Alt Hotel was from Winnipeg, but the GC for the two office towers has had a Saskatoon office for more that a decade. And the vast majority of the trade contractors on all four buildings were local.

As for the Baydo project going up faster than River Landing, I'm afraid your memory is very foggy. Your May 12, 2020 photo in this thread shows the site fully mobilized with the site cleared, some steel & pipe on site and a piling rig sitting there ready to go. It's been 22 months and the hole isn't yet completed, with only a bit of core construction done. The pace of this project is nowhere near that of River Landing.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 3:20 PM
I am the law!

A developer learning on the job fixing mistakes while progress is delayed doesn't exude confidence. That's the best way to scare investors but, by your rationale, this will lead to even more Baydo development? The chances of financing being pulled is only going up and the project being put on hiatus the longer the subterranean construction languishes in a learning curve. It only takes one major fuck up to end a run of successes as there's so many alternative places to invest in Canadian real estate.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 7:38 PM

I am not sure how anyone can defend this project. It is an embarrassment to the city both in terms of design and execution.

Also please stop sharing misinformation roryn. There is no comparison between this project and River Landing in terms of execution. Also what information do you have to support other buildings needing to be torn down? Your posts are all sizzle and no steak.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
I am not sure how anyone can defend this project. It is an embarrassment to the city both in terms of design and execution.

Also please stop sharing misinformation roryn. There is no comparison between this project and River Landing in terms of execution. Also what information do you have to support other buildings needing to be torn down? Your posts are all sizzle and no steak.
The best thing that could happen right now is for them to pull the plug on this hideous development. It simply will not do justice for Saskatoon, aesthetically speaking. Kill it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
A developer learning on the job fixing mistakes while progress is delayed doesn't exude confidence. That's the best way to scare investors but, by your rationale, this will lead to even more Baydo development? The chances of financing being pulled is only going up and the project being put on hiatus the longer the subterranean construction languishes in a learning curve. It only takes one major fuck up to end a run of successes as there's so many alternative places to invest in Canadian real estate.
You have to understand that Baydo is not a typical developer. They are self-financed with money from China and have purchased several local trade contractors who now do work only for Baydo. So the usual concerns about investor confidence don’t apply. They do have a record of quite a few low rise stick frame residential developments, but both their Broadway project and this one are outside of their usual wheelhouse and seem to present many challenges for them.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 3:34 PM
I am the law!

The only thing non typical would be that the money invested is their own. The life story of the founder doesn't scream billionaire.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Mar 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 10:10 AM

“ The company said that includes a large rooftop patio, a games room, a fitness centre, a yoga studio, a pet wash station, parcel delivery lockers, and a tenant lounge area.
There will be four levels of underground parking with 513 stalls plus secure bike parking and a bike tune-up room.

The main floor will have 11,000 square feet of commercial space.”

Not only will it be an exterior refresh from this ageing neighborhood with modern exterior and larger windows - seriously look up next time you drive by and look at the ageing facades of this tower’s neighbor’s -

It may not be River Landing, but it’s also not 3x the psf $$$ like RL which very few can afford. I can buy a 3,000sqft mansion in Edgemont right now, or a 1,300square foot RO condo overlooking the back of the Lighthouse/watch people experiment with new drugs - which would I buy for my fam lol. Edgemont is winning at 90% sold https://edgemontparkestates.ca/

Not that anyone needs to defend this project from a few keyboard warriors that haven't even lived downtown nor have a clue that the building i’m taking the photo from has in the recent decade of its 55 year life has had the most fire infractions in the entire province, been considered a slumlord residence by few “housing cartelliers” by the board (so much drama - we are basically an extension of The Lighthouse on the lower floors), has next highest rate of crime apart from The Lighthouse (see crime heat map)

Yes… let’s criticize the one developer that’s developing a surface parking lot formerly full of vehicle break-ins…

Anyway, no more photos as my condo sold in a WEEK $20k over what we paid as the concrete condo market is so right now - there is legit only 1 other unit for sale in my building / this time last year there was THIRTY/160 units, i’m off to a Calgary suburb to escape wildly loud downtowns and settle for a more family atmosphere with bearable weather, a skywalk network, and an awesome LRT system. I know there’s more positive than negative folks reading this thread that feel an inclined need to comment their moody thoughts… was fun posting these updates until the trolls came out of hiding that will probably be the demise of the thread

Last edited by roryn1; Mar 10, 2022 at 10:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 3:27 PM

Roryn1, I'm sorry to see you go and will miss your contributions to the Saskatoon threads, especially your updates on this project. Congrats on the good price on your condo and hope you enjoy your new life in Calgary.

I think most of the people posting on this thread are happy to see this development, regardless of its architectural merits. It's just the seemingly haphazard construction process that has so many of us baffled.

Again, thanks for your input and hope you can bring your Saskatoon perspective to the Calgary page. As an SK ex-pat, you certainly won't be alone.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 5:23 PM

yes sorry to see you go, will miss your take on this from a downtown point of view. Without your pictures this thread may very well die. Maybe Ralphie can keep it going.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
yes sorry to see you go, will miss your take on this from a downtown point of view. Without your pictures this thread may very well die. Maybe Ralphie can keep it going.
Yeeees Ralph you got this! I still expect weekly pics, maybe you have a drone

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 10:14 PM

Hey best of luck to you in Calgary! I have family there on my wife's side and we love exploring the city. They live close to downtown and it is pretty accessible to get around. Great restaurants and cool independent shops. My only criticism of the city when we have visited is the downtown is pretty dead after office hours. But Kensingon and other areas are pretty vibrant.

We will miss, bud.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 12:17 AM

We are ready for an update whenever King Ralph

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domthic View Post
We are ready for an update whenever King Ralph
I will take a snap of my dog's next #2 and share it. It and this project have many similarities.

Maybe roryn will take some photos next time he is in town from Airdrie?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
I will take a snap of my dog's next #2 and share it. It and this project have many similarities.

Maybe roryn will take some photos next time he is in town from Airdrie?
So that's a no for new pictures Ralph?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan