HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 12:31 PM
not a cynic

Looks like the CUB interchange will never be built. The ACHD owned property at the south end and west side of Capitol is for sale.

http://achdidaho.org/SurplusProperty...aspx?ItemID=31

In case you missed it, I've previously posted about the CUB. That's the Capitol/University/Boise urban interchange which was proposed in 93 or so.

See a pic of the CUB proposal here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=256

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:48 PM

Thanks for the info boisecynic. That lot is prime for development.

More ACHD news...this is good news too. Info I heard is that when the time is almost up at these proposed sensors that electronic communication is sent to one of our friendly meter parking ticket giver outers and they will begin heading towards the automobile ready to write the ticket if indeed the time does expire before the auto is moved. The idea the city has to change the rates for on street parking is a bad move. And also, why is the mayor out to get ACHD when they keep the downtown streets looking pretty?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...rict-puts.html

Ada County Highway District puts the brakes on Boise's vehicle detection sensors

By Cynthia Sewell — csewell@idahostatesman.com

The Ada County Highway District Commission on Wednesday reversed its decision to allow the city of Boise to embed vehicle-detection sensors in the pavement of nearly 800 Downtown parking meter spaces.The sensors are wirelessly paired with a parking meter to send a signal whenever a vehicle enters or exits a space.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 5:30 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/a-d...nt?oid=2980134

A Different Track
Think of it more as a 'circulator' than a 'streetcar,' and picture it running north-south

by George Prentice @georgepren

Quote:
"Don't go into this with a closed mind, thinking, 'Oh, they just want to run this toy train downtown.' That's absolutely not what this was ever about," said Clegg. "This is about creating a last-mile connection from a regional transit system into downtown Boise that people can get into downtown without bringing their car; and once they get downtown, they can get to their destination more easily."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 7:24 PM

If this system does not connect with the University it will be a huge waste. Not that I am a transit expert, but I think it should go into the University. Perhaps down University from Broadway into Downtown. Great for students, staff and people visiting BSU events. They can park Downtown and take the streetcar or whatever they want to call it to their concert, etc.

I don't think it necessarily needs to follow a circular pattern either, if there are two tracks going each way. Obviously, more costly.

Just my two cents.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
If this system does not connect with the University it will be a huge waste. Not that I am a transit expert, but I think it should go into the University. Perhaps down University from Broadway into Downtown. Great for students, staff and people visiting BSU events. They can park Downtown and take the streetcar or whatever they want to call it to their concert, etc.

I don't think it necessarily needs to follow a circular pattern either, if there are two tracks going each way. Obviously, more costly.

Just my two cents.
Agreed. I think a lot of students would utilize it to get downtown. Specifically on weekends to go bar hoppin

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:18 PM
not a cynic

No discussion of a multi million dollar transit expenditure can be had without also discussing tunnelizing Front and Myrtle, imo. Is it really so far-fetched? No more so than a light rail circulator. Has anyone even done a ballpark estimate for a Front/Myrtle tunnel? We could start with Front, it wouldn't have to be both streets.

And what's this talk of connecting to The Depot? That implies passenger rail on those tracks, otherwise there is almost no reason whatsoever to take a streetcar to the Depot. Not to mention the viability of running transit on the rail from The Depot to Meridian/Nampa/Caldwlell is likely very very far into the future. Boise just isn't ready for that. We aren't even at a million in population yet.

It's too easy to come sailing in on I-184. Even at rush hour it's pretty much full speed ahead.

And then BSU, isn't most of the traffic people commuting from different suburbs? I bet most just want to drive home after class or to their job, which more than likely is NOT downtown.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
No discussion of a multi million dollar transit expenditure can be had without also discussing tunnelizing Front and Myrtle, imo. Is it really so far-fetched? No more so than a light rail circulator. Has anyone even done a ballpark estimate for a Front/Myrtle tunnel? We could start with Front, it wouldn't have to be both streets.

And what's this talk of connecting to The Depot? That implies passenger rail on those tracks, otherwise there is almost no reason whatsoever to take a streetcar to the Depot. Not to mention the viability of running transit on the rail from The Depot to Meridian/Nampa/Caldwlell is likely very very far into the future. Boise just isn't ready for that. We aren't even at a million in population yet.

It's too easy to come sailing in on I-184. Even at rush hour it's pretty much full speed ahead.

And then BSU, isn't most of the traffic people commuting from different suburbs? I bet most just want to drive home after class or to their job, which more than likely is NOT downtown.
Basically from your post it seems there is no use for a streetcar. Which probably is true. There still seems to be no clear picture of what this is for. If it has the same operating hours as the bus, it is basically shuttling office workers from work to lunch and back.

As far as BSU goes, they seem to be building a lot of apartments/dorms in and around the campus. Plus young people tend to be more open (or have to use public transit). It also may attract more young people, staff, etc to live near the University or Downtown. I really think it should be a key part of this plan.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:23 PM

The entire article is at the link.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/one...nt?oid=2961042

One More Two-Way
"After a detailed analysis of 13th Street by the consultant and ACHD, its conversion is also included in the Plan's final draft."

by George Prentice

A wide-ranging plan, dramatically impacting the way people will flow in and out of downtown Boise, is about to get even wider.

Of equal note is ACHD's proposal of mini-roundabouts, designed for intersections with less commercial traffic and with an inner circle of less than 75 feet, including:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
The entire article is at the link.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/one...nt?oid=2961042

One More Two-Way
"After a detailed analysis of 13th Street by the consultant and ACHD, its conversion is also included in the Plan's final draft."

by George Prentice

A wide-ranging plan, dramatically impacting the way people will flow in and out of downtown Boise, is about to get even wider.

Of equal note is ACHD's proposal of mini-roundabouts, designed for intersections with less commercial traffic and with an inner circle of less than 75 feet, including:
Do not like.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
The problem with the tunnel that much, if not most, of the traffic is coming from Downtown itself and from BSU and Vista, instead from Broadway and beyond. At the very least, you'd have to have full ramps at Capitol and 9th, and I just can't see where the room would fit for that with a tunnel.

The best option I can see (though it would also be expensive) is to extend the elevated Connector through the two block lot west of JUMP, and then due south across the river to end at the intersection of Vista and Federal Way. I might draw up a sketch up of this if there's more interest in what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, as you noted earlier it looks like ACHD is giving up on making an interchange at University Dr.

Quote:
One other benefit with getting some sort of transit to the Depot is to also get a connection to the airport. There's a spur off the railroad near the Broadway interchange that leads to the airport. Even if Boise isn't ready for rail for everyday commuters, having transit for visitors from the airport could be handy.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:40 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Looks like the transition to the new Airport Control Tower is finally going to be underway on September 15th.

This is a needed step for future long term growth at the airport. When needed, it'll allow the assault strip south of the airport to be grown to a future 13,000' third runway. See PDF: http://www.iflyboise.com/media/2624/...andUsePlan.pdf

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:06 PM

Good News BoiseAirport.

Cycling/Greenbelt news. I decided to post this here rather then the Boise Development Thread since there are so many bike commuters in area.

Frustrated by delays, Eagle officials order clearing of Greenbelt path; Laguna Pointe HOA upset

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...officials.html

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 3:40 AM

Boise Airport gets $4.7 million for upgrades

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:07 PM

Unrelated to local news...

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10...es-investment/

According to this article, a bus rapid system (BRT) generates the most investment with the least amount of upfront cost, beating out street cars and light rail. I know that COMPASS has been talking about building a BRT system on State Street/Hwy 44 from downtown out to Star. Maybe they ought to take a look at the study.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:24 PM

http://www.boisebikeshare.org/

http://www.ktvb.com/news/New-project...225915721.html

New project hopes to help ease downtown traffic

BOISE -- An exciting new project is in the works that will help alleviate downtown traffic.

It's called the Boise Bike Share Program.

It will include up to 140 bikes at more than a dozen locations for public use.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 3:24 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Great news for Boise air travelers!

According to their online schedule, it looks like Alaska Airlines is substantially increasing its Boise to Seattle service. In 2014 there will be progressive additions starting in March and in the summer it'll go to 12x daily nonstops (13x if you include the same-plane one-stop through Lewiston). That's a huge increase. Consider that in 2011 the route typically saw 6-7x daily.

As far as I'm aware, the route has never seen more than 9x daily, and even 9x daily has only been a recent occurrence.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Oct 3, 2013 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 4:29 AM

That's nearly shuttle service with that frequency! Interesting. Wonder if they're cutting someplace else? Fearful of a competitor?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 5:28 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
That's nearly shuttle service with that frequency! Interesting. Wonder if they're cutting someplace else? Fearful of a competitor?
Good question.

According to the 2012 Annual Report, Boise to Seattle is one of Horizon Air's three most profitable routes. Delta has been encroaching on Alaska's territory recently. They've launched nonstop service between Seattle-Anchorage/Los Angeles/Las Vegas/Jackson Hole and just a couple of days ago announced Seattle-San Francisco. With Southwest's exit and Alaska having the market to themselves for now, I'll bet it might be some kind of preemptive measure.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 11:46 AM

But judging by your picture, there still won't be a jet on the route?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 5:10 PM

This news is for the Hailey (Sun Valley) Airport, and because Boise is the gateway city to that area I decided to post this info here:

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2007148461

Alaska Airlines adds Hailey flights

Schedule expanded for Seattle, Los Angeles routes

By GREG MOORE
Express Staff Writer

Alaska Airlines is expanding its nonstop flights between Friedman Memorial Airport in Hailey and the cities of Los Angeles and Seattle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West