HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Man, I hope not. Prime chance to remove the monarchy from our currency and to rid ourselves of one more vestige of our long-ago past.

I know that the vast majority of people in this country have only ever known QEII as monarch and are sort of used to having her on our currency, but waking up to a morning with Charles (ugh) or someone else on coins or bills will further cement that we have more work to do to separate ourselves from that bygone era. Public acceptance of the visibility of any new monarch is going to be lower than with QEII.
It's doubtful we'll see anyone or anything but Charles on the heads side of our new coins.

Banknotes may be different.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Man, I hope not. Prime chance to remove the monarchy from our currency and to rid ourselves of one more vestige of our long-ago past.

I know that the vast majority of people in this country have only ever known QEII as monarch and are sort of used to having her on our currency, but waking up to a morning with Charles (ugh) or someone else on coins or bills will further cement that we have more work to do to separate ourselves from that bygone era. Public acceptance of the visibility of any new monarch is going to be lower than with QEII.
I'm old enough to remember coming across coins in my pocket change with George VI and even George V on the obverse. I always thought it exciting when I found them.

Charles belongs on our coinage, but I am open to the idea of placing a different visage on our $20 note.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces

Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died at Balmoral aged 96, after reigning for 70 years.

Her family gathered at her Scottish estate after concerns grew about her health earlier on Thursday.

The Queen came to the throne in 1952 and witnessed enormous social change.

With her death, her eldest son Charles, the former Prince of Wales, will lead the country in mourning as the new King and head of state for 14 Commonwealth realms.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: "The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon.

"The King and the Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow."

All the Queen's children travelled to Balmoral, near Aberdeen, after doctors placed the Queen under medical supervision.

Her grandson, Prince William, is also there, with his brother, Prince Harry, on his way.
Queen Elizabeth, Canada's head of state, dead at 96

Quote:
Elizabeth became Queen in 1952, at the relatively tender age of 25, and presided over the country and the Commonwealth, including Canada, for seven decades. Those 70 years as monarch were recognized during this year's Platinum Jubilee events, which reached their height in London in early June.

In her time as monarch, Elizabeth bore witness to profound changes at home and abroad, including the decline of the British Empire and decolonization of many African and Caribbean countries, along with the end of hostilities with Irish republicans.

As one of the most famous women in the world, she was also under great public scrutiny during some of the most painful moments of her life, including the death of her father, King George VI, the marriage breakups of three of her four children and the death of her former daughter-in-law, Diana, Princess of Wales.

But Elizabeth always had a keen sense of her role.

"I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice," she said during her first televised Christmas address in 1957. "But I can do something else: I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations."

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Maybe if a mod is so inclined, perhaps the last couple of pages from the British Monarchy thread could be transferred over here.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In any event, very sad news.

The Queen is dead. Long live the King!!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I think her passing deserves a separate thread. The debate about the monarchy is of course relevant, but the demise of the Queen is not the subject of this thread.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:

How and when we have that debate is the key.

Generally, waiting until the corpse is cold is somewhat more the classy method, but the dancing gifs show that internet be internet.

Let the King have a few years, then see where the pulse is at.

Anyways, rest in peace Elizabeth II. May the burden of the Crown trouble you no longer.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I think her passing deserves a separate thread. The debate about the monarchy is of course relevant, but the demise of the Queen is not the subject of this thread.
This forum is about skyscrapers. Don't think we need multiple threads on the British monarchy.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I just got another BBC News alert on my phone, and it began "His Majesty the King.............

This will take some getting used to.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
How and when we have that debate is the key.

Generally, waiting until the corpse is cold is somewhat more the classy method, but the dancing gifs show that internet be internet.

Let the King have a few years, then see where the pulse is at.

Anyways, rest in peace Elizabeth II. May the burden of the Crown trouble you no longer.
The problem is that we need to continue producing currency even if we're dillydallying on the decision.

I doubt we will produce new coins with a deceased monarch who no longer represents the Crown on them.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
This forum is about skyscrapers. Don't think we need multiple threads on the British monarchy.
She was the Queen of Canada.

Also, if you look at the threads in this Canada forum, you will see that almost none are on the subject of skyscrapers.

I have been an SSP member in various guises since 1999. I am quite familiar with the remit of the site.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It is not entirely about skyscrapers (for better or for worse), and the Canada section serves as a surrogate for the Skybar which is more American (and more combative).

I agree with Molson

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:16 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
She was the Queen of Canada.
Really, really don't think we need multiple threads on the exact same subject. The Current Events board (where you've also posted a thread on QEII's passing) serves that purpose.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:16 PM

Long Live the King.

Sad moment for all of us. She was a better person than any of us.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The problem is that we need to continue producing currency even if we're dillydallying on the decision.

I doubt we will produce new coins with a deceased monarch who no longer represents the Crown on them.
Ok, let the coins and bills be produced. It isn’t the first time we’ve changed monarchs.

Maybe we should have the funeral for granny before we decide what to do with the silverware.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I just got another BBC News alert on my phone, and it began "His Majesty the King.............

This will take some getting used to.
I'm saving my money with her on it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Ok, let the coins and bills be produced.

Maybe we should have the funeral for granny before we decide what to do with the silverware.
There really is no decision or debate to have. It's all automatic and pre-programmed.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
… She was a better person than any of us
Not so sure about that….

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Not so sure about that….
If you're gloating about someone's death, someone that meant so much to so many, I think the answer is self evident.

Monarchism is a core Canadian value.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
She was a better person than any of us.
Bold statement when you probably don't know most of the people on this forum. Plus, I doubt any of us really knew the queen anyway outside of her public persona.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada