HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Cafe Dario is moving into the Ashdown Warehouse. Great news for the Exchange.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 6:46 PM
the first stamp is free

^ cool, that's a great restaurant. Although it's current location was part of it's charm, hidden away in the West End.

Hopefully the prices and food remain somewhat stable.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
According to their Facebook page, Famous Dave's opens 1 week from today, so that would be July 16

http://www.facebook.com/famousdaveswinnipeg
Woody's BBQ on Pembina says "Opening August"

So, did Katz ever sell his Hus on First Bistro on route 90? Sounded like Danny's Whole Hog BBQ was partnering with the new venture... but we weren't supposed to know that, right?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
According to their Facebook page, Famous Dave's opens 1 week from today, so that would be July 16

http://www.facebook.com/famousdaveswinnipeg
Was by there Sunday afternoon and they had a few of their trucks out front.
It looks like they had a mobile rib party truck out on the lot.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Woody's BBQ on Pembina says "Opening August"

So, did Katz ever sell his Hus on First Bistro on route 90? Sounded like Danny's Whole Hog BBQ was partnering with the new venture... but we weren't supposed to know that, right?
He must of done something with it, as the Hu's web page says that it is reopening under new ownership in the coming weeks.

According to the Winnipeg Free Press the new concept is going to be called Danny's Southern Smokehouse BBQ and Buck Pierce from the Blue Bombers is going to be one of the investors. Going to be a BBQ sports bar.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Yes, they do! In fact, I was tempted to put a scoop or two in my bag after I got my food... then I realized just how big the order of fries was and decided against the extra calories!
Was there for lunch on Sunday with one of my friends. It was not too busy for around noon. Basically walked in and only 2 customers in-front of us.

Have to agree thought with the size of the fry's. We could have done quite will on one order split between the two of us.

In all can't complain about the meal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Was by there Sunday afternoon and they had a few of their trucks out front.
It looks like they had a mobile rib party truck out on the lot.
I'm sure everyone will love their huge feast served on a garbage can lid...mmmm good, I kid you not.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 5:58 AM

Famous Daves opened today. Anyone go?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 5:11 PM
BANNED

The Standard on Sherbrook is changing it's name to the Rose n' Bee Pub.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 5:25 PM

The Standard is changing names / ownership AGAIN? Wowzers. I've lived in Winnipeg on and off since 2003, and in that time it's been Eddie's Garage, Hooligans, the Standard, and now this.

I've never understood why this location seems to be cursed for any pub incarnation that settles on the property; perhaps the rent is outrageous?

It's an up and coming stretch of the street, and it's really the only decent place to get both a pint and a meal. The Nook closes stupidly early, and Cousin's Deli serves shitty microwaved food in tiny portions by pretentious, often gloomy staff. The Standard was really the best option for both food and drink, and yet they apparently failed at creating a sustainable business. Anybody have a clue as to why?

I'm curious to find out how long the Rose n' Bee will last. Hopefully it will serve good food and drink at reasonable prices, employ staff other than transparently faux hipsters, and last more than six months.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 4:19 PM

It's been a bad week for West End restaurants. The Ellice Cafe (and Theatre) has announced plans to sell, and now the Black Sheep Diner has also announced plans to close (and possibly relocate).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black...89536861058025

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...163148936.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
It's been a bad week for West End restaurants. The Ellice Cafe (and Theatre) has announced plans to sell, and now the Black Sheep Diner has also announced plans to close (and possibly relocate).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black...89536861058025

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...163148936.html
yikes. if Ellice loses the Cafe, Black Sheep, and Lo Pub...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 5:09 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
yikes. if Ellice loses the Cafe, Black Sheep, and Lo Pub...
Gentrification would do a world of good around Ellice right now.

Still WAY too many sketchy people in that area.

Hopefully more apartment blocks are renovated and rooming houses burn down.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:23 PM

I certainly worry about Sargent and Ellice. For two thoroughfares that I had and in some ways still continue to have high hopes for, I worry that they are beginning to learn closer to Selkirk then the are to Corydon. Perhaps that point is a bit over the top, as those two are extreme examples, but I do not find certain sections of Sargent and Ellice comfortable to walk down.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:25 PM

Sorry for the rant, but....

Hmmm. I think it's a shame a couple local restaurants are closing down, as I live south of Ellice on Beverly Street. However, when I think of ways to spruce up the area, the word 'gentrification' doesn't really come to mind. While I am not always opposed to gentrification, I feel that it's clearly not the only way to improve a city.

I also think hoping rooming houses 'burn to the ground' is pretty harsh, and perhaps betrays the naive nature of the author in regards to this matter. At the same time I can concede that there are sketchy folks around; perhaps more than in most other areas. I actually LIVE here and can confirm visible prostitution and trade in hard drugs. But I can also recognize that rooming houses are not the disease, but a symptom. The disease is poverty, and while gentrification is a possible cure, it is certainly not the only one.

To get back on track, I do think it's unfortunate the Ellice Cafe is going under. As for the Black Sheep Diner.... I have mixed feelings. Even though I know a few folks who work(ed) there, I still think the service and atmosphere of the joint was pretty hit or miss. I'm almost surprised they lasted as long as they did.

I hope a couple cool new establishments open up in the area soon!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Hmmm. I think it's a shame a couple local restaurants are closing down, as I live south of Ellice on Beverly Street. However, when I think of ways to spruce up the area, the word 'gentrification' doesn't really come to mind. While I am not always opposed to gentrification, I feel that it's clearly not the only way to improve a city.
What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
At the same time I can concede that there are sketchy folks around; perhaps more than in most other areas. I actually LIVE here and can confirm visible prostitution and trade in hard drugs. But I can also recognize that rooming houses are not the disease, but a symptom. The disease is poverty, and while gentrification is a possible cure, it is certainly not the only one.
Poverty is more often than not a symptom of drug abuse and the belief that the government should give you a living wage if you don't feel like working.

There is no amount of money that can make poverty go away.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 10:58 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Poverty is more often than not a symptom of drug abuse and the belief that the government should give you a living wage if you don't feel like working.

What causes the drug abuse and entitlement? What causes people who would otherwise be successful to give up that success, get addicted to drugs and demand the government pay them for it?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:

I 100% agree. welfare is supposed to be a temporary relief so you can get back on your feet.

But also, bad news about the cafes. I've never been to black sheep, but the Ellice Cafe was great. Great breakfast with amazing service.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie88 View Post
Famous Daves opened today. Anyone go?
I went on Saturday. Never been to a Famous Daves before. It was pretty packed. Besides the length of time it took to get seated the service was great (yes it was an attractive early 18-22 year old but she did a good job. I think all the serving staff was under 22). I thought for the amount of food they gave me the prices were excellent. Good food. I'll go back for sure. It was hella loud in there though.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Further to that, here in Manitoba there are so many social programs available and the funds that go with them that actually becoming self-sustaining is a disincentive.

I read somewhere that in SK they were going to start changing the income level requirements as well as look at other factors to obtain govt. housing because of abuse in the system.

What's really troubling is that in certain groups generation after generation can be sustained on the taxpayer dime from cradle to grave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan