HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 2:48 PM

I'm hoping for the addition of at least 10 more floors for the 1 Bloor Proposal.
The 4 year wait isn't worth a stubby 225 m tower.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 3:59 PM
gettin' rich!

well its actually 234 meters.... And when its all said and done and the height is official it will likely be over 240 meters.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 9:18 PM

Well we lost height, but gained a little architectural flare... the balconies should be interesting to look up at!. plus, i find the podium more welcoming at street level.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 2:20 AM
I am the law!

Has the 234 metres being confirmed? I thought it's just someone's estimation based on the previous height.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 2:57 AM
gettin' rich!

to the best of my knowledge its a guesstimate.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 12:34 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

The height of the drawing I made with the additional 5 floors was definitely a guesstimate.This one here: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=52003
I just added 15 metres to the official 219 metre height. There's nothing official as fas as I know.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 10:47 AM
I am the law!

I doubt there is another city with so many unconfirmed 500 footer heights. Oh well, at least there are only two unconfirmed 500 footers (both in Cityplace) and the Exchange Tower which definitely looks to be over 500 feet tall to the top of the mechancial from outside my window.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I doubt there is another city with so many unconfirmed 500 footer heights. Oh well, at least there are only two unconfirmed 500 footers (both in Cityplace) and the Exchange Tower which definitely looks to be over 500 feet tall to the top of the mechancial from outside my window.
isn't the city suppose to have some sorta database with the "official" heights of the buildings?...

And BTW: how do construction workers know how tall their building is?. I'm sure they don't send a measuring stick all the way down the building. is it some sorta laser measuring device???

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
Urban Fanactic

Why is there no pictures of a future skyline of Hamilton?...

Oh right, because in 10 to 15 years from now, the skyline will probably still look the same. Canada's worst big city skyline.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 1:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London's is changing quickly. It has just been announced that another 28-storey building (tied for second-tallest in the city) will go up downtown on the waterfront (Renaissance Tower 2: Condos) to join the recently completed twin. Small potatoes for the big cities, but not for London.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 8:23 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
isn't the city suppose to have some sorta database with the "official" heights of the buildings?...

And BTW: how do construction workers know how tall their building is?. I'm sure they don't send a measuring stick all the way down the building. is it some sorta laser measuring device???
I don't know about a database of buildings but there's mountains of paperwork to find a height quite easily. Most of it is a matter of public record. It's easy for any one of us to find a height of a particular building however, there usually are fees involved.

I don't quite understand the second part. Construction workers build from plans not at whim. These working drawings include thousands of measurements.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 8:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

The architectural drawings always have couple of pages showing the elevations of the building being constructed - what the building looks like from the North, South, East and West. These elevations always show the height to the top of the structure, parapet or spire.

So anyone knows how tall a given structure is.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:49 AM

oh.. okay. i see. so each floor slab is made a certain thickness, each column a certain height, etc..... add it all together and you get the height... cool

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:39 PM
Cambridgite

So how are people making these renderings? What program is being used? Some of these pictures are too high-quality to be done in photoshop or sketchup.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 3:44 AM

Hey, if you guys are unhappy with 1 Bloor, send it in peices and we'll construct it out out here in Calgary!! A residential tower like that (and a few more) would be just fine.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:01 AM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
So how are people making these renderings? What program is being used? Some of these pictures are too high-quality to be done in photoshop or sketchup.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I do all my drawing and photo manipulation on MS Paint and then some shading and blurring with Photoshop. However, I am a real amateur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Hey, if you guys are unhappy with 1 Bloor, send it in peices and we'll construct it out out here in Calgary!! A residential tower like that (and a few more) would be just fine.
We will only accept that as long as we get the Bow in the trade.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 2:19 PM

the guys who do these renders are pro's. that's why photoshop is great. ( i have the program and still there are a million features i haven't tried yet!)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:00 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
the guys who do these renders are pro's. that's why photoshop is great. ( i have the program and still there are a million features i haven't tried yet!)
Yeah, just asking. I'd like to do some of these myself. I don't use much MS Paint or Photoshop, but I do know a little Sketchup and I'm quite handy with AutoCAD if those are used at all.

I'd love to get the Kitchener and Waterloo skylines up here with all with all the U/C and proposed/approved developments on the pipeline right now. I'm sure we could get a whole ton of skylines up from across Canada, but there's only a few people on here who know how to make high quality renderings.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 5:11 PM
Community Guy

To give you all a sense of what the Katz Group is proposing for Edmonton...

Arena = squiggly lines TBD
Red = Office
Green = market condo
Blue = hotel (one 3 and one 4 star my guess)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 12:11 AM

omg edmonton's only contribution to this thread looks like it was done on MS Paint - those buildings look too extreme for the 2000s haha
who's seriously gonna build them?

i like the clear transparent building on the left, the one with the red stripe & roof element

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada