HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 4:24 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The Great exodus from Calgary begins...

They're all coming home to the promised land.

actually it might be

in my dayjob I have access to various web traffic stats which are showing a lot of interest from calgary in jobs in winnipeg

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 5:52 AM
Youth of a Nation

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
actually it might be

in my dayjob I have access to various web traffic stats which are showing a lot of interest from calgary in jobs in winnipeg
Interesting Indeed!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:36 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
actually it might be

I would be interesting in knowing how you parsed that data.

I have access to the web traffic of about 7000 staff at my company. Yet parsing "job opportunities in Winnipeg" is a pretty stiff order to fill.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:42 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if i am not mistaken Archiseek is a admin at jobfind mb ?? correct me if i am wrong Archiseek

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

I have access to the web traffic of about 7000 staff at my company. Yet parsing "job opportunities in Winnipeg" is a pretty stiff order to fill.

And here comes Sputnik, the ex-Winnipeg Calgarian to defend Calgary's tattered reputation as the land of milk and honey.

Come and get us but good, Sput

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:36 PM

Quote:

i run jobs boards

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 1:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

from newwinnipeg

Re: 101 Reasons why Manitoba Hydro Employees will LOVE Downtown

by urban_thinker on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:17 pm
Here we go. If the Sun won't run it, maybe someone from the Free Press will.

Dear Winnipeg Sun Editor

In regards to the Winnipeg Sun story – Hydro workers moving in – but not all Happy –

And on behalf of the contributing writers at newwinnipeg.com, I would like to submit 101 reasons why Hydro Workers will fall in LOVE with our Downtown.

We hope that Mr. Ross Romaniuk will take the time to properly develop his news stories in a more balanced manner.

Top Reasons why Manitoba Hydro Employees will LOVE Downtown

1. Viola Cafe across the street is a hip and cool European restaurant.
2. Downtown is easier to access with public transit than any other place in the City. That means you can leave your car at home at save tons of money to spend on other things.
3. There's another Tim Horton's opening up a hop, skip and a jump away at Portage and Vaughan, or you can just go to one of the 20 other coffee shops in the surrounding 2 block radius.
4. Vastly better selection of restaurants within walking distance that can appease anyone’s taste buds.
5. The Second Cup across the street is one of my favourite coffee places, it will be yours too.
6. The new Starbucks on Graham is funky place to hang out.
7. Hydro employee can shop at The Bay, a hop skip ad jump away, especially on Bay days!
8. The Magic Room next door - slip out for a manicure and eyebrow wax.
9. Dozens of excellent hair salons and barbers all within walking distance.
10. When your kids are about to get married check out the strip of Bridal Fashion places between Hydro and the Bay, on Graham and Portage, so you can help do their wedding planning!
11. Affordable art reproductions at Picture Frames and More.
12. Go say to Ari from Paradise Perfume, she like hugs and carries perfumes not found anywhere in this city!
13. Catch a Ball game during the summer noon hour. Take off your tie eat a dog, sip back on a beer (root) and watch the Goldeyes kick some butt. Then go back to work, or not. Repeat for afternoon events at the MTS Centre.
14. Go to the Portage Place Y for noon hour for aqua aerobics, or hit the weights or run on the big track.
15. Check out the WAG, take evening art classes at the WAG
16. Lots of Medical centres close by for all you health needs
17. And no need to stop at a pharmacy on your way home. Get what you need downtown over lunch hour.
18. There is also a wonderful variety of local and unique restaurants and services available. The shoemaker in the Richardson building is great. Big Al's burgers on Albert - where you have to go across the street to eat.
19. Walking distance to the King's Head, Shannon’s Pub, and the Elephant and Castle.
20. Pickup a few groceries for supper at The Bay or Fredette's on your lunch hour.
21. Get a manicure for $6 or your hair cut for another $6 at Marvel.
22. Head over to U of W and check out some of their free noon-hour lectures.
23. The Millennium Library is an inspiring place to get away from it all.
24. Walking to Mountain Equipment Co-Op. Warning, leave your credit card in your desk
25. Getting photo gear at Don's on Portage, a downtown institution.
26. Walking to Mitzi's for lunch, best chicken fingers in town.
27. Summer "Out to Lunch" Concerts put on by the Downtown BIZ.
28. Enjoy life, walk along the river walk at lunch
29. Catching a presentation at the library on some esoteric topic.
30. Launch at the Forks
31. IMAX 3D is awesome for adults too.
32. Run quick errands on your afternoon breaks and relax more at home!
33. A heated walkway to get you around the entire downtown, 200 shops and services, three malls, and lots of walking, (bring your walking shoes to work).
34. All the walking will make you happier and healthier than taking your car everywhere.
35. Catch dinner with your friends before a show or other major entertainment event after work instead of racing all the way home and back downtown again.
36. You are near and connected to a postal outlet and the main post office - you'll never run out of stamps!
37. Take your skates and go to Central Park or Library Park at lunch. (In summer take a book).
38. Walk to lunch at a different restaurant every Friday. It will take you years to get to all of them. Think of the calories you'll burn by walking rather than driving. It's like getting a couple of calorie free lunches a year!
39. Underground heated parking. In -40 you could wear a t-shirt from your car to work and back again, and its well worth $175 per month.
40. Hot dogs and people watching at lunchtime on Broadway, just a couple of blocks away!
41. Wander down to Old Market Square for lunch and catch the onstage entertainment, very relaxing, stress relieving lunch!
42. Take in one of the Exchange walking tours and get to know a bit of the history behind the neighbourhood you're working/living in.
43. Walking down Portage Avenue on the sunny side during the summer.
44. The Rastafarian man, Ricco, beating his drums in front of Portage Place during the summer is one cool dude. And when you do please remember how blessed we all are, and say hello!
45. The historical buildings, everywhere, but especially in the Exchange
46. BIRKS downtown has just made life easier for the men at Hydro looking for that special gift. Plus 20 other jewellery stores, some across the street.
47. Royal Winnipeg Ballet and the fact that the box office is across the street
48. Close access to various government offices
49. Jazz at portage and main
50. Hy's restaurant a classic
51. Cinamatheque and the movie and dinner deal you can get at the lineup is pretty good.
52. Hydro workers will have a great view of the Grey Cup parade when the Bombers win someday!
53. Front row seats for the Santa Clause Parade on Portage Avenue.
54. Courier pick up and drop offs are quicker in the downtown.
55. It's closer to Wpg Blood Services if you give blood/platelets.
56. Downtown is more bike friendly to commute
57. A bunch of galleries in the Exchange for contemporary art that are worth checking out now and then. Among them: Plug In; Ace Art; Urban Shaman; Semai Gallery; and the photo gallery across the hall from Cinematheque to name a few.
58. Watch downtown revitalization unfold around you. From the major U of W expansion poised to take off, to more downtown housing, and the expansion of the Red River College Culinary School. And there are almost no empty storefronts on Portage Avenue.
59. The Downtown Spirit for FREE shuttle service to the Exchange and the Forks, zipping around the downtown every 15 minutes.
60. Cake clothing, unique and awesome clothes for hip people and Warehouse clothing outlets in the Exchange
61. Forget about Toys Are Us, we have Toad Hall in the Exchange.
62. Canadian Footwear. Any and everything for your footwear needs
63. Winnipeg Square for all your professional services and fast food.
64. The Food court at Portage Place and King Pie, the fist franchise in North America, right across the street.
65. Cool restaurants in the Exchange like Mondragon, The Fyxx, Foon Hi, other
66. Stroll down Waterfront Drive or the Exchange and dream about living near your work, and then make it happen!
67. Many drycleaners and tailors. Get you clothes done while you work!
68. Aqua bookstore and Bistro Cafe on Garry.
69. The Wagon Wheel on Hargrave, noted for chips & gravy and fresh turkey everyday
70. Take evening classes at UW or RR and further your education - great for advancement or additional pay!
71. For political junkies - catch part of a city council meeting or Leg session and watch democracy in action
72. Yes there will be panhandlers. We are a big city, with big city problems. If you want to give, give. But please be kind.
73. Magnificent 360 views of the city!
74. A quick jaunt to HMV
75. A short stroll to Staples
76. A stones throw away from Taco Time
77. A hop skip and a jump to Academy Florists to remind your wife how wonderful she really is.
78. An easy wander to Cotton Ginny
79. Not too far from Footlocker
80. No need to drive to Hangers, just walk across the street
81. Easy to visit the folks at Hank FM, CTV, CBC, Global, and every other major media outlet, they are here where the action is!
82. You can take the skywalk to Le Chateau
83. You don’t get winded walking to Manchu Wok.
84. Flowers and Banners in the summer time, and colourful holiday lights and Festival ice sculpture in the winter time to overtake your senses.
85. You can brag that you work in one of the greenest buildings ever built - the wave of the future and you're on it!
86. Friday afternoon/evening African Market at Central Park
87. Winnipeg's toughest workout, the Pan-Am Boxing Club on McDermot
88. If prayer or meditations is more your style there are some beautiful churches a few steps away (St. Mary's Cathedral, Trinity. Some have services certain lunch hours, some just open to be a quiet place.
89. The Canada / Manitoba Business Service Centre and Library is on the Skywalk and offers noon-hour sessions on taxation, starting a small business.
90. Sign up for wine tasting at Fentons Fine Foods at the Forks, and check out his selection of cigars and fine brandy’s too.
91. Do you like a good political rally / protest / vigil? They usually happen lunchtimes at the Legislative building, the place where laws are made.
92. More cigar stores on Graham at CitiPlace and across the Convention centre on Carlton to celebrate the birth of your kids, or the loss of your bachelorhood.
93. Friday afternoon/evening African Market at Central Park
94. If you're gay, you're where all the gay bars are for after work drinks, even if your not, check it out!
95. Fish Fridays at the Paddlewheel at the Bay
96. You're right in the heart of the Cruisin' Downtown old car displays in the summer around Pony Corral
97. Visit Travel Manitoba Centres at the Leg and the Forks over lunch and plan your vacation !
98. Free horse and carriage rides around Christmas courtesy of the BIZ
99. Pastry Castle ! Bring a gourmet desert home once a week.
100. Pamper yourself at the Magic Room, Ten Spa, the Spa at the Forks, and others, all within walking distance.
101. The Downtown. It all about people of different colour and race, with varying incomes and different positions in life. Some working, some living, others studying and visiting. Who all come together, every day, to make the downtown the most vibrant and exciting place our city has to offer. Welcome Hydro employees!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 3:23 AM
Starring as himself

The Lunch Hour That Saved Downtown. Don't most people just brown-bag their lunch anyway? And most of the year you're most likely just going to sit at your desk to eat. But I think people will like the building as a building and maybe there will be a little extra business for the Bay and Portage Place. Hopefully they'll find that downtown isn't all that bad.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 8:11 AM

did alllllll my xmas shopping downtown this year WITHOUT a car and it was amazing! highly suggest it! got everything i needed between the bay downtown and osborne village.. and i've lived vicariously between toronto and vancouver throughtout the year so don't give me any flak!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 4:50 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
did alllllll my xmas shopping downtown this year WITHOUT a car and it was amazing! highly suggest it! got everything i needed between the bay downtown and osborne village.
Join the club.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 5:31 PM

same here... and i don't drive

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 5:47 PM

in the same boat here. and i successfully convince 3 suburbanite-mall-lovers at work here to do the same!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 4:24 AM
Youth of a Nation

Anyone see this?

Sources: League trying to find new revenue for cash-strapped Coyotes

By Scott Burnside
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 23, 2008, 7:50 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

The NHL hasn't taken over control of the Phoenix Coyotes, but it is taking an active role in trying to find new investors or ownership for the financially strapped franchise and is being kept apprised of any "significant" financial decisions the team makes, ESPN.com has learned from team and league sources.

The league also is trying to help broker changes to the existing lease with the city of Glendale in the hopes of making the situation more attractive to new investors or owners.

Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes is in dire financial straights, with his outside business interests -- most notably Swift Transportation, a large trucking firm -- having been hammered by high gasoline costs, followed by the dramatic downturn in the economy.

And although team officials say the club has never relied on Swift revenues to run the team, the Coyotes aren't in much better shape and are expected to lose another $30 million or more this season, on top of the more than $60 million they are reported to have lost the past two years.

In short, Moyes wants out, a number of sources told ESPN.com. At the very least, he is in desperate need of an influx of capital to help in the continued operation of the team.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com the biggest hurdle is the current lease with Glendale.

The 30-year lease that accompanied significant municipal support in the building of Jobing.com Arena (the municipality put up $180 million of the $220 million price tag) has a number of problem areas as it relates to the franchise's ability to generate revenues.

Take parking. The Coyotes, unlike most teams in the NHL, receive nothing from parking fees at the arena. Instead, they actually pay a surcharge of $2.70 per vehicle. That means instead of generating upwards of $10 million in revenue, they pay more than $2 million.

In short, said one source, they are paying people to park at their building.

Changing that part of the lease is one of the areas the NHL is trying to help renegotiate with the city. Ultimately, the league is hopeful it can help create strategies through which both the municipality and the team can gain, as opposed to simply asking the municipality for concessions.

The league is helping the Coyotes by providing detailed data from other franchises on revenue streams, especially those in nontraditional hockey markets.

Sources say the talks with the city "are in progress" but it's unknown how amenable Glendale officials are to making alterations to the lease.

"Everybody agrees that we need to find a solution that works for both of us," team CEO Jeff Shumway told ESPN.com Tuesday.

No one knows for certain if the Coyotes can finish out the season under the current financial climate, and at some point the specter of bankruptcy looms large.

Sources say the team hasn't come close to failing to meet the payroll, but if that situation were to present itself, the NHL would move swiftly to take over operations.

The fact the league is significantly involved now suggests it is in a position to step in quickly to provide what might be described as "bridge" funding of the team's operational costs and maintain the integrity of the franchise.

"There simply aren't any subtle ways to deal with this situation anymore," a source said.

City of Glendale spokesperson Julie Frisoni said the city has a policy of not discussing ongoing negotiations. She did say that city lawyers have investigated the lease and believe that in the event of bankruptcy, the city and its investment are well-protected.

It's not unprecedented for the NHL to take such a hands-on approach to assisting a team through troubled times. The situation in Phoenix has been likened to the situation in Ottawa a number of years ago, when Rod Bryden was trying to sell the financially troubled Senators.

The league was instrumental in assuring a seamless transition to the current owner, pharmaceutical businessman Eugene Melnyk, and the Senators continue to be a successful franchise.

The league also played a major role in bringing together the sides in the Pittsburgh arena situation, when two years ago it looked as if the Penguins would move out of Pittsburgh, with Kansas City as the most likely destination.

Although the team's financial future seems doom and gloom, there are actually a number of positive elements.

First, ticket sales have increased about 77,000 from a season ago, team officials said. Television ratings have improved dramatically and if the team continues its strong play and can make the playoffs and take advantage of a few home dates (the Coyotes were in seventh place in the Western Conference as of Tuesday), the bottom line will be significantly improved.

The team is not saddled with onerous, long-term, big-value contracts, and the Coyotes have put together an impressive lineup of high-end young players such as Mikkel Boedker, Martin Hanzal and Peter Mueller.

The Coyotes are one of the biggest benefactors of the NHL's revenue-sharing program as well, and last season received $15 million, something that should also be attractive to potential investors.

The NHL has approached head coach Wayne Gretzky about the potential changes to the ownership group and he has assured league officials he isn't going anywhere (he told ESPN.com the same thing last week). That's not insignificant when it comes to luring deep pockets to the desert.

Gretzky remains one of the pre-eminent names in pro sports, and knowing he's on board with the improving Coyotes, even if there is another ownership change, is a huge selling point, sources told ESPN.com.

Although it's assumed Moyes is beating his own financial bushes looking for help, the NHL has also gone back to its list of potential buyers and is approaching or has approached them about their interest in the Coyotes.

Hollywood movie and television mogul Jerry Bruckheimer, long thought to covet an NHL franchise, has been linked to the Coyotes.

Because the primary goal of Moyes and the NHL is to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix, BlackBerry inventor Jim Balsillie would be ruled out, at least for the time being. His interest in NHL ownership generally has been limited to teams he might at some point be able to relocate to Ontario.

It's not believed a breakthrough, either in terms of significant investor relief or an ownership takeover, is imminent, although that could change in a short period of time.

Scott Burnside covers the NHL for ESPN.com.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 3:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

be pritty funny if the old team came back home

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 4:16 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
be pritty funny if the old team came back home
WHEN a team comes back, I want a winning team; not one with a washed up coach that can't get their shit together. In other words, don't give us the scraps that are the Coyotes.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 7:19 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

It's too bad the NHL didn't try nearly as hard to keep our team here.

In his tenure as head of the NHL, Buttman has made hockey one grade better than the Shrine Circus when it comes to professionalism and intrigue.

I hope him and his league go broke.

Fuck, I hate hockey!!!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 8:25 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Fuck, I hate hockey!!!
Blasphemy, Blasphe-you, Blasphe-for-everybody-in-the-room...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 6:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ok well the cdn elimination game died but theres still a euro one lets get out and vote for the prague

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...161616&page=17

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:05 AM
I am a typical

The Prague!!

It's the Winnipeg of Europe!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:25 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
While real estate might be "cheap" in terms of lower prices compared to other cities. It is certainly not "relatively cheap" when you factor in average income.

Jobs in Winnipeg (generally private sector jobs) pay lower than comparable jobs in other cities which makes mortgages more expensive for Winnipeggers.

It would cost my wife and I more to live in Winnipeg with the same house and jobs than it is to currently live in Calgary with a decent size mortgage.
Sorry, the cost of housing in comparision to income is much cheaper in Winnipeg than Calgary. Calgary's real estate ballooned up due to high oil, but that bubble is in process of correcting again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan