HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 2:57 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
Furthermore, I believe some would argue against an Opera House? instead of Ripley's. I'm sure some would argue against any development next to the Alamo. That was just an all-encompassing statement.
I was pointing to fact that there used to be an Opera House on Alamo - see miaht's pic above. Sorry, that was unclear and muddied the argument.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 4:46 PM

From today's Statesman. The cost seems to be the only thing holding back the line from going forward. With all the new emphasis on multi-modal transit both here and in Austin, I hope that they can find the money to make this operational sooner rather than later.

It would be a great compliment to the new streetcar and BRT lines that will be based out of the westside terminal.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-2061235.html

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 3:46 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
From today's Statesman. The cost seems to be the only thing holding back the line from going forward. With all the new emphasis on multi-modal transit both here and in Austin, I hope that they can find the money to make this operational sooner rather than later.

It would be a great compliment to the new streetcar and BRT lines that will be based out of the westside terminal.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-2061235.html
Funding has been the major financial hurdler for most new commuter rail lines.
Little to no Federal FTA New Starts funds have been allocated for constructing new commuter rail lines. Here's a recent list of new commuter rail lines....
DCTA A Train = 0
CapMetroRail = 0
Northstar = 0
WES = 0
UTA Frontrunner = 0
NM Railrunner = 0
NCRD Sprinter = 0
NCRD Coaster = 0
NJT Riverline = 0
TRE = 0
All using diesels for propulsion.. The sole exception I have found is RTD's East line to Denver International Airport. Maybe because it's using electric propulsion might be why it got a significant share of FTA New Starts funding?

I wouldn't plan getting any FTA funds for a rail project governed by the FRA. Recent history on that front doesn't look promising. With the cities of Austin and San Antonio committing large sums for new streetcar lines, there isn't going to be much local money left over for investing in this commuter rail line. So, that leaves the State of Texas as the only source to ante up and fund a significant percentage for this train. That isn't likely. Worse of all, the organizing board for this train doesn't have any power to levy any taxes, it relies on partners to fund it.
So funding will be the achilles heel for this train...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 7:56 PM

Another interesting solution for the 35 corridor. Has anyone heard of this project before? I'm having trouble understanding if it's a modified, elevated, freight train type of setup or more akin to the conveyor belt systems you find in a distribution center.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...35-3498100.php

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 9:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Another interesting solution for the 35 corridor. Has anyone heard of this project before? I'm having trouble understanding if it's a modified, elevated, freight train type of setup or more akin to the conveyor belt systems you find in a distribution center.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...35-3498100.php
I like it except for two things: 1) skepticism about sealed containers crossing the border without need for inspection, 2) their refusal to consider passenger transportation as part of the program. Otherwise it sounds pretty good, assuming the design of the actual railway isn't ugly as all hell.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 11:24 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

If unions were mad about Mexican drivers being allowed across, I can't imagine what they will think about this....

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:59 PM

In statewide news, a private group (looks like its Houston-led) is teaming up with the private operator of Japan's high-speed train system to build a link between DFW and Houston. It sounds like they're doing all the developmental studies at the moment.

The advantage they have is that both regions already have built rail lines that the new service can connect with. With Austin voting today on a downtown rail plan and SA working on putting streetcars into operation, I wonder if a private firm would be the answer to creating real progress on our slow moving LoneStar line...

Quote:
Houston-Dallas could get $10 billion bullet train

A group including former Harris County Judge Robert Eckels, now president of Texas Central Railway, and representatives from Central Japan Railway Co. met Wednesday in Arlington to discuss plans to raise $10 billion from private investors to fund the project, which would allow passengers to travel between the two cities at 200 mph, the newspaper said.
http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012...-bullet-train/

and

Quote:
Group aims to raise $10 billion for high-speed rail in Texas

"It is a highly capital-intensive project, but we believe it is commercially viable," Eckels said. "We are not looking for operational subsidies from the state or federal government."
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/05...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 5:12 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
In statewide news, a private group (looks like its Houston-led) is teaming up with the private operator of Japan's high-speed train system to build a link between DFW and Houston.
With Austin voting today on a downtown rail plan and SA working on putting streetcars into operation, I wonder if a private firm would be the answer to creating real progress on our slow moving LoneStar line...
Only if Central Japan or Texas HSR can find the finances to build Dallas to Houston. TGV a decade ago thought they could build a HSR wye with private funds, but they found out otherwise.
CHSR thought they could raise half the funds for their HSR line privately too, and to date haven't found much private funds. Wait and see what happens is my advice.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:20 PM

VIA unveils new buses for rapid transit service

VIA unveils new buses for rapid transit service

from http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...=image_gallery

cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:59 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I saw a bunch of them parked under the alamodome earlier today. They look pretty good, even if the "Primo" name is kinda goofy.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:35 AM

Related to Primo and the streetcars, VIA is getting rolling on the multimodal center.

It looks like we'll finally get an actual square at Cattleman's Square!

Quote:
VIA unveils design for a new hub
http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/...#photo-2971639

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:46 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^

VIA has a tightrope to walk with how they develop that area and who all they invite to be a part of it.

The article mentions the possibility of Greyhound moving in eventually or sharing space...have you ever walked the block at the Greyhound station downtown? Folks I know who live at the Exchange bldg avoid that block like the plague and realize that it is a magnet for crime.

If VIA wants to reinvent itself, revitalize an area, and draw CHOICE RIDERS, they would be wise to avoid such partnerships. Whether real or not, the fear of such elements will keep people in their cars.

(That said, I would be all in favor of removing the Greyhound station from downtown proper and placing it on the fringe somewhere in close proximity to a local bus transfer station. I am sure the Alamodome bus terminal would love a paying user in the 364 days it isn't being used as P&R for the AlamoBowl.)

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:20 PM
Endless Moments...

Makes a good point. That whole area needs a major revitalization. It has great potential. So it will be interesting to see how it goes...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:53 PM

The perception of crime (whether real or not, like you said) does make people avoid that area; I know of a few myself that HATE it.
However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, there would be a perceived level of safety if the "greyhound" crowd is outnumbered when/if it moves to the WSMMS.
Which would tell me to wait 'til a bit more development in the area is there to build the level of perceived safety in the area which first has to clear the hurdle of all the day laborers standing around and HFH wanderers.
Get UTSA DT to expand out a bit, break ground on some development at the Scobey Warehouse and then it might be at that tipping point.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:00 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The perception of crime (whether real or not, like you said) does make people avoid that area; I know of a few myself that HATE it.
However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, there would be a perceived level of safety if the "greyhound" crowd is outnumbered when/if it moves to the WSMMS.
Which would tell me to wait 'til a bit more development in the area is there to build the level of perceived safety in the area which first has to clear the hurdle of all the day laborers standing around and HFH wanderers.
Get UTSA DT to expand out a bit, break ground on some development at the Scobey Warehouse and then it might be at that tipping point.
Exactly.

The WSMMS is up against H4H, the jail, and the day labor population. Add the Greyhound after mitigating some of those negative effects and you have a chance.

If they do nothing more than provide shade for the loitering masses, the first ride for many will be the last. Wish it SAs different and people weren't so ignorant (and fearful), but perception is reality.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:21 AM

Part of 1604-281 interchange nearly ready

Quote:
Traffic on U.S. 281 and Loop 1604 is about to get a boost, more than 100 feet in the air, thanks to a massive interchange project that will partially open next month.

The connector between U.S. 281 north and Loop 1604 west could be done by Oct. 11, the first section of the interchange to open. Roughly 13,000 motorists per day are expected to use that connector alone.

The second connector, from U.S. 281 north to Loop 1604 east, could open in another two months. The two remaining connectors, linking east and west traffic on Loop 1604 to U.S. 281 south, should be ready by early February.

When completed, the interchange at its highest point — 120 feet above the U.S. 281 main lanes — will be as the same height as the interchange at Interstate 10 and Loop 410, and four feet higher than the interchange connecting Loop 410 to U.S. 281, said Gina Gallegos, director of construction for the Texas Department of Transportation's San Antonio district.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...dy-3860184.php

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 5:00 AM

South Texas Medical Center Transit Center

http://www.viaprimo.com/Involvement/Construction.aspx

Quote:
Currently under construction at the corner of Medical Drive and Babcock, the 7.51-acre site will serve as a transit center and park and ride for bus service and the site for VIA’s future bus rapid transit service, Primo. The facility is designed in keeping with the aesthetics of the surrounding area while providing a state-of-the-art facility.
http://www.viainfo.net/Planning/STMCTC.aspx

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 8:32 AM

We need a rail system. ASAP

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 9:36 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
We need a rail system. ASAP
If you don't know, the urban core is getting rail.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:20 PM

I'm excited for the interchange. They really put that thing up fast!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio