HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 12:18 AM

Did they get their approvals from Cheektowaga yet? I really don't think it was much of a water park per se. Wasn't it 5,000 sq.ft. according to the News? That sounds more like an enclosed pool.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 5:41 AM
seriously

Glass Buffalo

-Federal Courthouse
-Issa Tower
-Dulski Building
-New Era HQ

Anyone notice how all these buildings (all in the same area of the city) are getting the "Glass and Steel" look?

It just seems odd that there is very little modern glass structure in the entire city and now all of it is happening by chance in the same 2-block area!

Even the Niagara Center is in that same block (although not really steel and glass, it is relatively modern styling by Buffalo standards)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 5:56 AM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064 View Post
Ok - so what about a GRANDER PLAN - to make it affordable "market rate" apartments to try and create a ripple effect of rebirth on the east side?

I know- I know - I may be talking out my ass - but there has to be something that can be done with it. The East side is Buffalo's worst section - so why not start a rebirth of the area by saving and refurbing the areas greatest asset? It would offer affordable living with downtown views in a centralized location.
Chiming in a little late here but I had the opportunity to talk to the owner of Central Terminal. He said the eventual goal is to have condo and office space in the tower while the terminal itself would forever be preserved for the public use. I got the impression that this is many years down the road, perhaps a decade or more away since he is very charismatic but was speaking on adaptive reuse in rather vague terms. I believe his heart is mostly in the right place and that he is on the level, but if he is able to revitalize this landmark it will be an absolute steal! He purchased the building for $1 and so far few if any of the renovations have come out of his own pocket and the labor thus far has been all the work of volunteers. As I said if he is able to revitalize this building and put it on market, he will have essentially stolen this building, but in the end it’ll be good for Buffalo.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 5:58 AM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
Even the Niagara Center is in that same block (although not really steel and glass, it is relatively modern styling by Buffalo standards)
Sorry, but I don't think the Niagra Center is modern by anyones standards, not even for Buffalo.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 6:32 AM
seriously

I know, the Niagara Center wasn't the focus of my point.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064 View Post
Ok - so what about a GRANDER PLAN - to make it affordable "market rate" apartments to try and create a ripple effect of rebirth on the east side?

I know- I know - I may be talking out my ass - but there has to be something that can be done with it. The East side is Buffalo's worst section - so why not start a rebirth of the area by saving and refurbing the areas greatest asset? It would offer affordable living with downtown views in a centralized location.
"affordable "market rate" apartments? Affordable living with downtown views in a centralized location."? You just discribed the project highrises of The Perry's and Fredrick Douglas housing projects. My old stompin grounds. I watched from the top floor of 312 Perry, when The M&T Bank and Erie Bank tower's were built. That facinating sight is most likely what gave me a facination for Skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Chiming in a little late here but I had the opportunity to talk to the owner of Central Terminal. He said the eventual goal is to have condo and office space in the tower while the terminal itself would forever be preserved for the public use. I got the impression that this is many years down the road, perhaps a decade or more away since he is very charismatic but was speaking on adaptive reuse in rather vague terms. I believe his heart is mostly in the right place and that he is on the level, but if he is able to revitalize this landmark it will be an absolute steal! He purchased the building for $1 and so far few if any of the renovations have come out of his own pocket and the labor thus far has been all the work of volunteers. As I said if he is able to revitalize this building and put it on market, he will have essentially stolen this building, but in the end it’ll be good for Buffalo.

The owner isn't a 'he', but a non-profit corporation. But yes, their goal is to preserve the building, maintain it best they can, keep it on the public's radar through events, and raise money to seal/clean the balance of the complex until an end-user(s) come around. I'm a card carrying member of the Central Terminal Rest. Corp.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 9:51 PM

Planning board discusses, approves tower
Business First of Buffalo - 11:51 AM EST Tuesday by James Fink Business First

The Buffalo Planning Board Tuesday gave the green light to concept plans and designs for a proposed 40-story office tower in downtown Buffalo.

The board's unanimous approval is the first of many steps that must be taken before construction on the $360 million, privately-financed project can begin. It does, however, mark the first time since the tower was announced in mid-October that a city agency has given the greenlight to any aspect of the project.

The tower is being proposed by English investor/developer Bashar Issa and will serve as a companion to his $80 million restoration of the historic Statler Towers.

The proposed tower will feature a mix of Class A office space, condominiums, retail, hotel and some entertainment space. It is slated for the corner of S. Elmwood Avenue and Mohawk Street, just a few blocks from Buffalo City Hall. At 593 feet tall, the tower will be the tallest structure in either Buffalo or Niagara Falls.

The approval came following a brief public hearing held Tuesday morning by the agency. While most praised the project, some raised questions about the tower's height and related environmental impact and the decidedly upscale bent of its residential condominiums, where some units may have price tags approaching the high six-figure range.

Planning board member Susan Curran Hoyt, reiterated her feelings from a Jan. 2 hearing, where she felt the tower was too tall and out of scale with the rest of downtown Buffalo. Hoyt said she would prefer it if the building were 75 feet shorter.

"True, it is a tall building by Buffalo's standards," said design principal Harry Warren from Grand Island's Cannon Design . Cannon is the project's architect. "But, we are making this an icon for today."

The building's 40 stories and nearly 600-foot tall structure is well within the city's zoning ordinances, noted Frank Manuele, planning board chairman.

"Remember some of the icon buildings in the town -- that includes Buffalo City Hall -- were considered out of scale at the time when they were built," said Cynthia Schwartz, another Buffalo Planning Board member. "Some of the buildings we love the most today, were considered out of scale at the time (they were built)."

Warren said an environmental impact study will take between six and eight months to complete and construction won't start for at least two years.

Issa has previously said he won't begin construction on the 1.1 million-square-foot complex until it is at least 40 percent under contract, either through office, residential or a committed hotel -- or combination of the three.

If construction begins within the next two years, Warren said the entire tower could be completed by 2011.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 1:36 AM

Pics of work near site of new court building but I don't think it's related.
http://mrussell.us/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=10375

Latest pics of 285 Delaware and WGRZs new fence
http://mrussell.us/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=10345

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:36 AM
try being in the Buff

Interesting to see the new channel 2 fence. Not much of an improvement over the barbed wire. Still very prison / bunker like. I bet not one person who works there lives in the city. They appear to be petrified of their surroundings

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:39 AM
try being in the Buff

The non profit running the central terminal is doing a great job. they have held a long series of events there that regularly attract large numbers of people. They have stabilized the building, brought back historic artifacts that were removed and have proven that the building is useful. I hope they start focusing some on the low rise wing as well. It will eventually be restored and could be an anchor for revitalizing that neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 9:21 AM

Four things, first, I thought the tower was 615, 600, NOW 593 ft tall. Is it just me, or is the dam thing srinking? Lord, PLEASE don't let that continue. I know someone said she's one of "The Good Guyz", but, Susan Curran Hoyt's elevator aint going all the way to the top floor. No offense, but what's up with that Sky Blue color on 285 Deleware? It looks way to Gay for a hard town like B-Lo. Steel, I sure hope you're right on Central Terminal.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 1:52 PM

"It looks way to Gay for a hard town like B-Lo."

It's just a undercoat, check out:
http://projectbuffalo.com/index.php?content=detail&id=7
For renderings of how it will look.

Last edited by mrussell83; Jan 17, 2007 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussell83 View Post

Thanks mrussell83, I thought that might be the case. Some do find my sense of humor disturbing at times, so If my comments go to far, feal free to let me know publicly, or in private.

I still want to know what happened to 615 ft?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:43 PM
welcome to the madness

mrussell--Brilliant work. The Channel 2 fence is pathetic, but if downtown can continue to rally, who's to say that someone doesn't try to buy that property? It's a huge lot in a prime space and the WGRZ studios aren't much better than a suburban plaza. As long as the area continues to evolve, this area will probably be redeveloped. Channel 4 and 7, though not as nice looking newscasts, report "real" news, not the feel good stories and "hand-delivered" letter writing schlock that 2 serves up. Garbage--makes us look like a small town, but maybe that's what we've become--eh Sulley?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:46 PM

Quote:

Checked out the rendering. I can remember when it was first posted as well. Yeah, it's gona fit right in with Buffalo's "Hard as Nails" image (and Rep).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:23 PM

So nice to see that your last name can still get/save you a job that you are obviously not qualified for miss hoyt.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet View Post
Some do find my sense of humor disturbing at times, so If my comments go to far, feal free to let me know publicly, or in private.

ha! I don't think they go far enough

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54 View Post
So nice to see that your last name can still get/save you a job that you are obviously not qualified for miss hoyt.
That's my thinking Pal!

Quote:
ha! I don't think they go far enough
Thanks! but alas, I have softened with age, and I'm finding that political correctness has it's merits. HOWEVER,Should you youngsters start crackin the whip every now and then, this old Nam Vet wont be complaining. I'll be watching from the sideline, with a real big SMILE.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue B View Post
Planning board discusses, approves tower
Business First of Buffalo - 11:51 AM EST Tuesday by James Fink Business First

The Buffalo Planning Board Tuesday gave the green light to concept plans and designs for a proposed 40-story office tower in downtown Buffalo.

The board's unanimous approval is the first of many steps that must be taken before construction on the $360 million, privately-financed project can begin. It does, however, mark the first time since the tower was announced in mid-October that a city agency has given the greenlight to any aspect of the project.

The tower is being proposed by English investor/developer Bashar Issa and will serve as a companion to his $80 million restoration of the historic Statler Towers.

The proposed tower will feature a mix of Class A office space, condominiums, retail, hotel and some entertainment space. It is slated for the corner of S. Elmwood Avenue and Mohawk Street, just a few blocks from Buffalo City Hall. At 593 feet tall, the tower will be the tallest structure in either Buffalo or Niagara Falls.

The approval came following a brief public hearing held Tuesday morning by the agency. While most praised the project, some raised questions about the tower's height and related environmental impact and the decidedly upscale bent of its residential condominiums, where some units may have price tags approaching the high six-figure range.

Planning board member Susan Curran Hoyt, reiterated her feelings from a Jan. 2 hearing, where she felt the tower was too tall and out of scale with the rest of downtown Buffalo. Hoyt said she would prefer it if the building were 75 feet shorter.

"True, it is a tall building by Buffalo's standards," said design principal Harry Warren from Grand Island's Cannon Design . Cannon is the project's architect. "But, we are making this an icon for today."

The building's 40 stories and nearly 600-foot tall structure is well within the city's zoning ordinances, noted Frank Manuele, planning board chairman.

"Remember some of the icon buildings in the town -- that includes Buffalo City Hall -- were considered out of scale at the time when they were built," said Cynthia Schwartz, another Buffalo Planning Board member. "Some of the buildings we love the most today, were considered out of scale at the time (they were built)."

Warren said an environmental impact study will take between six and eight months to complete and construction won't start for at least two years.

Issa has previously said he won't begin construction on the 1.1 million-square-foot complex until it is at least 40 percent under contract, either through office, residential or a committed hotel -- or combination of the three.

If construction begins within the next two years, Warren said the entire tower could be completed by 2011.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Does anyone have a dirty sock laying around that they could shove in that lady's mouth??

I have an idea - why not just build 12 - 50 foot buildings instead. That oughta make Buffalo's skyline look more like Syracuse - nice and flat. She would probably be happy with that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations