HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:34 PM

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/regina...1_5534583.html

The new facility will be located in the Cathedral area, on a piece of land gifted from the City of Regina.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
How does this fit with the Viterra crushing plant north of the refinery which will require a massive loop track?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/regina...1_5534583.html

The new facility will be located in the Cathedral area, on a piece of land gifted from the City of Regina.
More capacity for marginalized women is sorely needed. I just hope there is an addictions component. So many of these shelters will not take addicts. They are the most likely to be victims and be in need of support.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:09 PM
BANNED

(Nvm)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
More capacity for marginalized women is sorely needed. I just hope there is an addictions component. So many of these shelters will not take addicts. They are the most likely to be victims and be in need of support.
I agree.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Great map, gives us a better view of what is being proposed from a bird's eye view.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 1:46 PM

I don't think the rail relocation has any real chance of happening.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I don't think the rail relocation has any real chance of happening.
Sad... all the money and disruption being wasted on a new Winnipeg St. overpass instead of dealing with the real problems.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Sad... all the money and disruption being wasted on a new Winnipeg St. overpass instead of dealing with the real problems.
I still don't understand the whole Winnipeg overpass thing. 2 effen years of Ring Road disruption for basically zero gain. It's baffling.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure jigglysquishy is just stating his opinion on the rail relocation project and has zero inside info so there's that.

Last edited by pappcam; Aug 6, 2021 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 5:09 PM

I think rail relocation is stupid. It's way too much money. There are too many other things that need fixed in this city. The infrastructure is crumbling, but we are obsessed with vanity spending. It's not sexy to replace lead pipes, but putting a fancy waterpark in Wascana or moving train tracks so people aren't inconvenienced gets more attention. I think this city has screwed up priorities.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I think rail relocation is stupid. It's way too much money. There are too many other things that need fixed in this city. The infrastructure is crumbling, but we are obsessed with vanity spending. It's not sexy to replace lead pipes, but putting a fancy waterpark in Wascana or moving train tracks so people aren't inconvenienced gets more attention. I think this city has screwed up priorities.
I'd say getting railroad tracks off the busiest road in Saskatchewan is definitely not a screwed up priority.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Wasn't sure where this fit, but I think it's a great idea:

PCC pilot project to restrict vehicle access around Wascana Lake on select days

Over the course of the pandemic a lot of cities learned how important it is to have large, walkable spaces for the public. Many major cities are even going harder on this, such as Paris, which is closing down huge swaths of their city's core to vehicles. The funny thing? When it's closed to vehicles, pedestrian and bike traffic increases 100x. The space is still utilized, but it's more useable and friendly.
https://www.regina.ca/news/New-Alber...-Albert-South/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I'd say getting railroad tracks off the busiest road in Saskatchewan is definitely not a screwed up priority.
It is pretty screwed up when we are the ones that are going to be paying for the infrastructure of two very wealthy private companies. If waiting a train for 15 mins every once in awhile is so much of an inconvenience for people, they should perhaps relocate themselves.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 10:02 PM

I am with Pappcam. For future development of Regina, the rail over that stretch of ring road is something that will be an issue forever until it is removed. This will help the entire north east section of Regina for future industrial growth.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
It is pretty screwed up when we are the ones that are going to be paying for the infrastructure of two very wealthy private companies. If waiting a train for 15 mins every once in awhile is so much of an inconvenience for people, they should perhaps relocate themselves.
When the Ring Road was built, they should've grade separated the tracks then. We're not paying for these corporations, we're paying for the failings of previous city councils.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
When the Ring Road was built, they should've grade separated the tracks then. We're not paying for these corporations, we're paying for the failings of previous city councils.
And paying way, way more than it would have cost to do it right the first time (even if you take into 2021 dollars vs. 1979 dollars).

I'm torn on this project. It is an obscene amount of money that is sorely needed in so many parts of this city. No one in my household uses Ring Road for commuting so I'm not personally affected by inconvenient trains, but I get the frustration from drivers. I think I'm leaning to be in favour of this project for improved traffic flow, less car idling and an overall improved access for trains to the new canola plant. It's just A LOT of money.

My personal "train on Ring Road" is the timing of the lights on Lewvan which occasionally makes me fume, but I digress.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Wasn't sure where this fit, but I think it's a great idea:

PCC pilot project to restrict vehicle access around Wascana Lake on select days
Today was the first Saturday of three. I think it went pretty well and it will be better next week if words gets out to more people. Some knew but a lot did not; many thought there was a race going on. Lots of positive comments. Great to see kids on bikes on the road as well as rollerblades and scooters which don't really have a good place to go normally.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
This is exactly it. They've kicked the can down the road for so long it's gonna cost them big and of course "them" happens to be us.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
"It doesn't inconvenience me personally so therefore it's not important"

I don't use the Ring Road much either but again, it's the busiest road in Saskatchewan and there are trains going across it multiple times a day forcing vehicles to sit there idling burning fuel and spewing exhaust without moving for long periods of time.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 11:41 PM

Moving the tracks is in now way a vanity project it must be done for the betterment of the city and it’s future growth once it’s completed watch projects move forward , besides all that would you want to be in an accident being held up by a train I think not , those tracks where out there so many years ago things change we must move forward not in a stale Mate for the next fifty years Regina deserves so much better

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan