HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
Ex Houstonian

On that last photo, what is the steel thats going up on the right side of the memorial? I guess thats going to be the entrance to the museum or the museum itself?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:22 AM
Honored Member

Yea, that's the structure of the Museum Pavilion.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 2:49 PM
New Yorker for life

That's my cue to put up these renderings again...

View large.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:01 PM

by next year will we be able to access this entire area?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Earthcam is down so I assume that means they're putting a big girder in or something. That usually seems to be the case.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:47 PM

Why is there a rendering of a buidling inbetween towers 1 and 4 in one picture but not the other? What will that be?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Why is there a rendering of a buidling inbetween towers 1 and 4 in one picture but not the other? What will that be?
you mean the performing arts center in between towers 1 and 2?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:50 PM

NYGuy-

Do you have the dates on these renderings? I just noticed the difference on the land to the east of 1WTC. In the first one, the lot is empty, the second one it has a ~7 story building there. I'm guessing the first is more accurate, 1WTC looks more accurate. (I apologize if this has been discussed before.. just point me to the page w/ the related posts).

On a side note... I'm surprising myself, but I think I'm more intrigued by the whole complex coming together than just 1WTC. It's neat to see how all the building are coming together with the transit and the memorial.

Edit: I see I'm not the only one with this question, but didn't post as fast as others...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

OK, Earthcam is back on and I don't see any major changes. As Fonzie once said, "I was w-w-w..."

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenbagis View Post
NYGuy-

Do you have the dates on these renderings? I just noticed the difference on the land to the east of 1WTC. In the first one, the lot is empty, the second one it has a ~7 story building there. I'm guessing the first is more accurate, 1WTC looks more accurate. (I apologize if this has been discussed before.. just point me to the page w/ the related posts).

On a side note... I'm surprising myself, but I think I'm more intrigued by the whole complex coming together than just 1WTC. It's neat to see how all the building are coming together with the transit and the memorial.

Edit: I see I'm not the only one with this question, but didn't post as fast as others...
the one with the building is older,just take a look at 1 WTC's base design

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 10:32 PM

Ok people, the performance art center is planned for that location, and its being designed by Frank Gehry. The building and the grass lot are both placeholders for the design, though if construction is postponed, it could become a green space

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:32 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

morrongiello(August 26, 2010)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 3:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Ok people, the performance art center is planned for that location, and its being designed by Frank Gehry. The building and the grass lot are both placeholders for the design, though if construction is postponed, it could become a green space
Postponed, somewhat. They really wouldn't be able to build the PAC today (although some of the sublevel/foundation work is being done by the Port Authority) becaue the site is currently used as the exit/entrance to the PATH station. When the new station opens, and if funding is complete by then, the PAC can proceed.

tribecatrib.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:14 PM

i hope Ghery doesnt go crazy with this....

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/...to-take-shape/

Trees Helping 9/11 Memorial To Take Shape

August 27, 2010

Quote:
An army of construction workers has been installing steel and pouring concrete at the site of the 9/11 memorial.

Now, the site will be coming to life as the first trees are being prepped for their trip to Ground Zero.

9/11 memorial vice president Lynn Rasic gave WCBS 880 reporter Peter Haskell the details on the tribute.

“They’ve already brought in the soil,” she said. “And they’re actually creating the tree pits that will contain each tree.”

The first of the swamp white oaks will be loaded up Friday at a central New Jersey nursery and moved into place over the weekend.

The memorial has already taken shape with the two one-acre reflecting pools fully formed.

The plaza should be completed by 9/11 of 2011.

Trees for the 9/11 Memorial Plaza are seen in New Jersey

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

Cool, kinda strange that they are putting the trees in so soon, I would have thought that would be one of the last things they would do.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 5:40 PM
TL;DR

I imagine it must be quite surreal to see a truck loaded with trees coming through the Lincoln Tunnel...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 5:49 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Sounds as if one tree is being brought in to test the tree boxes.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Sounds as if one tree is being brought in to test the tree boxes.
nope way more 12!

Press Releases
MEDIA ADVISORY - FIRST TREES FOR 9/11 MEMORIAL TO BE PLANTED AT WORLD TRADE CENTER SITE
Date: Aug 27, 2010
Press Release Number: 56
About a Dozen Trees for the Memorial Plaza Are Expected to be Installed

What: 9/11 Memorial President Joe Daniels and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni will oversee the planting of the first trees for the 9/11 Memorial Plaza at the World Trade Center site.

At least a dozen Swamp White Oak trees will be planted on the western side of the site in between the Memorial Pools. The trees currently average 30 feet in height and have a branch spread of 12 feet. They were chosen from areas within a 500-mile radius of the WTC site, as well as from New York, Pennsylvania and near Washington D.C. – to symbolize the locations directly impacted by the 9/11 attacks.

The trees have been growing at the Millstone Township, NJ, nursery since 2007. Houston-based Environmental Design is coordinating the tree move from the nursery and planting at the World Trade Center for the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

Where: World Trade Center site
Gate 3C at Liberty and Greenwich Streets

When: 10 a.m., Saturday, August 28, 2010. (Please arrive by 9:45 a.m. to get hard hat and safety vests required to enter the site). Press credentials required.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 6:55 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
nope way more 12!
*Pulls up earthcam to count number of tree boxes that appear completed...*

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture