HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:11 AM

Edmonton Roughriders is trending

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
They did a consultation with indigenous groups recently and got the green light. Due to them being provocative in having dialogue and the groups being okay with the name, I find the new development puzzling.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the Washington Redskins deciding to change their name.

EDIT: big sponsor was threatening to pull out, so yeah, he exact same situation as the Washington Redskins.

https://www.thescore.com/cfl/news/1986646/amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Edmonton Roughriders is trending

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:16 PM

Kidding aside, I don't think the Eskimos should force themselves to keep the EE initials if there are no good choices for a name.

Edmonton Empire was always lame and it turns out that it pisses some people off, so scratch that from the list. Names like Edmonton Energy or Edge sound like roller hockey teams from 1994. Edmonton Elks at least has a historical pedigree, but it's still kind of meh.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Kidding aside, I don't think the Eskimos should force themselves to keep the EE initials if there are no good choices for a name.

Edmonton Empire was always lame and it turns out that it pisses some people off, so scratch that from the list. Names like Edmonton Energy or Edge sound like roller hockey teams from 1994. Edmonton Elks at least has a historical pedigree, but it's still kind of meh.
Ottawa did the same when the CFL returned in 2014. The team asked Saskachewan permission to use the name Rough Riders, but they refused. It's ridiculous to have two teams with the same name, even more so when the league only has 9 teams.

Anyway, the team wanted the new name to keep the "R" from the Rough Riders's glory days, so they consulted with fans to come up with a new name that starts with "R". My vote was for Raftsmen, but Redblacks/Rouge et Noir came out on top somehow.

For Edmonton, Energy or Edge sound very pee-wee/corny to me. I do like Elk because it's relevant to Edmonton's natural surrounding and football history.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

If they wanted to be cute about it, they could just call themselves the Edmonton Eskies. It's a breed of dog. And also Australian slang for a cooler you carry your beer or perishables in.

Though personally I'm partial to Edmonton Esquires! This would also allow them to keep the double E logo.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:42 PM

^ Edmonton can pick a totally different name that starts with a different letter, and just turn the "EE" logo into an "E", keeping things practically the same in terms of appearance.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though personally I'm partial to Edmonton Esquires! This would also allow them to keep the double E logo.

Now there is a classy name! Almost too good for Edmonton!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:

I’m going for either the Enigma or the Ermines, the CFL can’t afford to change all those EE logos! The Enigma is an homage to why the team ever choose Eskimos in the first place and the Ermine is a raw meat-eater aka Eskimo![I]

Ermines are carnivorous. They are actually very much like minks, ferrets, and weasels (believe it or not it's in the same family as the wolverine). They eat almost anything that moves. Like small animals like birds, eggs, frogs, fish, insects, ground squirrels, lemmings, cotton tails, small hares, porcupines and rats. Ermines eat warm blooded animals. They kill their prey by a quick bite behind the neck.

https://www.animalstown.com/animals/e/ermine/ermine.php

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:25 PM
arf

Edmonton Eagles (NFL would probably sue)
Edmonton Emus
Edmonton Egrets
Edmonton Eclipse
Edmonton Ego
Edmonton Emeralds
Edmonton Earaches
Edmonton Elves

But my favourite is Edmonton Ents

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Edmonton Eagles (NFL would probably sue)
Edmonton Emus
Edmonton Egrets
Edmonton Eclipse
Edmonton Ego
Edmonton Emeralds
Edmonton Earaches
Edmonton Elves

But my favourite is Edmonton Ents

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
** Eskimos moniker is one of pride in Northern hardiness, a respect for the people of the North.

https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/articl...ays-franchise/

With the Edm Eskimos, the origins of the name go back to Calgarians making fun of Edmontonians for their winters, and Edmontonians pridefully embracing that, with the term Eskimo used out of respect and admiration. .

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

How about the Edmonton Elephants?

The name Elephant could be considered an homage to the large size and physical prowess of your typical linebacker.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:58 PM

Probably won't be popular but I vote for just Edmonton Football Club and let the people give them whichever nickname they do (probably Eddies or realistically still Eskimos). Only because I've got high confidence the new name will be US minor league baseball level tacky, meaningless, contrived alliteration for the sake of alliteration rather than something with history or meaning.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Probably won't be popular but I vote for just Edmonton Football Club and let the people give them whichever nickname they do (probably Eddies or realistically still Eskimos). Only because I've got high confidence the new name will be US minor league baseball level tacky, meaningless, contrived alliteration for the sake of alliteration rather than something with history or meaning.
The issue with "Football Club" is that the moniker is often used by soccer club, including FC Edmonton. Adopting that name might be confusing for some.

Apparently, FC Edmonton's nickname is the Eddies, so that's out too.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Even when Edmonton doesn't have to stick with "EE" combinations they have still picked some pretty lousy names... the late "Edmonton Cracker Cats" may have had one of the worst team names I have ever heard, and explanation behind it was just cringe-inducing.

This was an actual professional sports team's name and logo:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The issue with "Football Club" is that the moniker is often used by soccer club, including FC Edmonton. Adopting that name might be confusing for some.

Apparently, FC Edmonton's nickname is the Eddies, so that's out too.
I mean, they are literally the Edmonton Eskimo Football Club right now so it's not like going by Edmonton Football Club is that unprecedented. On the prairies, football means gridiron football... no one would be confused.

The Blue Bombers are fairly well known by their official name, the Winnipeg Football Club. It's right above the entrance to the team offices:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Edmonton Eskers????

Quote:
An esker is a long, winding ridge of stratified sand and gravel, examples of which occur in glaciated and formerly glaciated regions of Europe and North America. Eskers are frequently several kilometres long
Esker could be considered appropriate since this landform is found in many areas of Canada, and pays homage to our subarctic climate.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 10:28 PM

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers were formally called the Winnipeg Winnipegs until 1935. Edmonton can harken back to CFL days of yore by renaming the team the Edmonton Edmontons.

On a serious note, I like both the Empire and the Elk.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 1:05 AM

Some wise guy on Twitter suggested West Edmonton Brawl... I liked that

Edmonton Explorers has an OK ring to it

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Edmonton Eskers????

Esker could be considered appropriate since this landform is found in many areas of Canada, and pays homage to our subarctic climate.
Actually, not bad.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Some wise guy on Twitter suggested West Edmonton Brawl... I liked that

Edmonton Explorers has an OK ring to it
It does, but the snowflakes will complain that this name can imply colonial conquest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada