HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:46 AM

If the major reason the USOC wasn't looking to submit a salt Lake bid for the 2026 olympics was because they wanted to focus on LA, now that La is in the bag, what would be keeping them from submitting a 2026 for kicks and giggles? Or 2030? 2034? To be honest, 2034 seems the mostly likely for the next possible time for Salt Lake olympics. I doubt the IOC would do two olympics back to back in the same country, even with the changing trends and reasoning behind city selection. But even so, what would be keeping the USOC from submitting a salt lake bid now that LA has been awarded?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:50 AM

Best case scenario: Salt Lake submits a bid for 2026, politely declined by the IOC due to LA recently being awarded, whatever host city/finalist cities selected for 2026 drop out, and SLC is left as one of the few Olympic ready cities willing to host. Bam. SLC 2026

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:29 AM

We could definitely use a large project announced in this city in terms of height but you have to be pretty happy with the direction of some of our infill projects if you want to call them that. Forgive my spelling of the latest 3 projects... the patinily group project by Little America, the Richi project by the arena and the latest project were Salt Lake roasting company is at. If all three of these project go through we will have 3 rather large "infill" projects relatively soon. Not too long ago we were hoping for a time when we would get developments more then 6-7 stories. We have three good quality projects that look promising that are 10+ stories. Salt lake is playing catch up with its residential density. residential growth will really spur all sort of other developments. In my opinion, the seemingly lack of dense residential has been the hold back for a lot of other movement. Keep pushing smart residential and the rest will come. The vibrancy will be a magnet for developers.

Again, my bad on the spelling of those three projects

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:55 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
We could definitely use a large project announced in this city in terms of height but you have to be pretty happy with the direction of some of our infill projects if you want to call them that. Forgive my spelling of the latest 3 projects... the patinily group project by Little America, the Richi project by the arena and the latest project were Salt Lake roasting company is at. If all three of these project go through we will have 3 rather large "infill" projects relatively soon. Not too long ago we were hoping for a time when we would get developments more then 6-7 stories. We have three good quality projects that look promising that are 10+ stories. Salt lake is playing catch up with its residential density. residential growth will really spur all sort of other developments. In my opinion, the seemingly lack of dense residential has been the hold back for a lot of other movement. Keep pushing smart residential and the rest will come. The vibrancy will be a magnet for developers.

Again, my bad on the spelling of those three projects
Any indication as to when these proposed projects are scheduled to start?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:41 AM
BANNED

I believe Salty Laker was being a smart ass and you guys all missed it.
Nevertheless there was a good amount of truth to this statement.
I will abmite I've been a bit of a bitch as of late. All I want is for Salt Lake to step it in high gear and catch up somewhat to these other cities. I'm from a big city myself and seriously moving to Salt Lake at a young age was like stepping into a time machine and going backwards 50 years. Truth is, this city is so far behind it's just painful at this point. If Salt Lake could somehow land the winter games again, than I don't even care about LA having theirs. But I fear LA killed our chances and it pisses me off.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:12 AM

I would love for Salt Lake City to host the Winter Olympics again.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 10:26 AM

Makid, I imagine that there are any number of locations that Salt Lake could target for an Olympic Village. Locations that could easily become mixed-use residential for locals after the games conclude.

I'm curious what the enthusiasm level is at the moment for near future games. Have you sensed any serious movement among City, State or SLC County political leadership for pushing upcoming bids? I wonder what Romney's enthusiasm would be for leading Salt Lake City as a location these next go rounds?

Also, albeit slow. Has there been any steps forward now on securing the needed mass of property on the Arrow Press block for a CCH? Since the OR has pulled out, have there been any signs from decision makers that they're now comfortable with continuing the buildup of smaller and medium size hotels for the near future, pushing back the time table on a future CCH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The negatives are in the initial construction costs and maintenance of the venues. The more built up the city is, the harder it is to locate spaces for the venues. Winter Olympics also require less space overall than Summer.

There are less athletes for the Athlete Village but it is also that Winter sports are primarily outdoor and on mountainsides where summer have larger spaces for Track and Field, Golf, Rowing, Horseback riding and so forth.

For Salt Lake to host the Winter Olympics again, the only real need would be space for the Athlete Village as the previous village is now housing for UofU students.

Salt Lake did end up making money on the Winter Olympics and did have enough to fund an endowment for the venues so they are well maintained and in use currently.

If the Olympics started to be shuttled between 4 or 5 locations, I think that having a permanent Athletes Village would be something to look into. In the other years, it could be used as a training base for athletes from around the world as well as maybe used as an AirBNB or a low cost hostel to help recoup the maintenance costs.

I do think that SLC could host the Winter Olympics on short notice and would do well as one of the few rotating sites for the Winter Olympics.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
When they arrest these homeless druggies. They should offer them the option to either go to jail or be on a bus to leave the state. Salt Lake even charter a bus like once every week or two that goes from here straight down to Los Angeles or something... somewhere with more moderate weather conditions.

Or if they’re caught with an out-of-state ID we can just send them back to where they came from... We can stop issuing state IDs the people who use the homeless shelter is an address... they need to have a real verifiable place of residence
Or set up a homeless camp, with minimal support, out in the dessert for those with repeated criminal and drug offenses. Where they either learn to clean up through the sheer will of wanting to stay alive or they die. I know that sounds awful, but there's got to be responsibility, penalties, & incentives to thwart this exacerbated problem. If people think they can just live and poop on the streets of Salt Lake City and continue to do drugs and illegal activities, then set up a system of penalties!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:20 PM

Tangentially related to the Olympics discussion -- they're expanding the Speed Skating Oval in Kearns this year, expanding the permanent training facilities and adding sports rehab facilities. It's the permanent home of US Speed Skating, and the World Cup competition is there, but they're really stepping it up to make it a world class facility.

Which...wouldn't help us get the winter games. But it's an example of how the existing facilities are still in use, being maintained and improved over time.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:02 PM

I want SLC to go after the FIBA basketball world cup. The facilities are there and grouped closer together than other host cities have been. There is a local passion for basketball. It just seems like a plug and play event that would be guaranteed to be successful.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Best case scenario: Salt Lake submits a bid for 2026, politely declined by the IOC due to LA recently being awarded, whatever host city/finalist cities selected for 2026 drop out, and SLC is left as one of the few Olympic ready cities willing to host. Bam. SLC 2026
Here's the list of 2026 potential cities/countries:
Kazakhstan
Calgary
Turkey
Innsbruck, Austria
Argentina
Sapporo, Japan
Sion, Switzerland

The bid will be awarded in 2 years, so there's plenty of time. Japan has the 2020 Summer olympics, and the next two winter olympics are in South korea and Beijing, so another asia games is unlikely. Innsbruck has hosted before, and 2026 would be the 50th anniversary of it hosting previously. Calgary is big and modern and could host, though would have about the same chance as SLC considering the LA 2028 games (same continent). So out of those, I think Calgary and Innsbruck would be the top of the list.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Tangentially related to the Olympics discussion -- they're expanding the Speed Skating Oval in Kearns this year, expanding the permanent training facilities and adding sports rehab facilities. It's the permanent home of US Speed Skating, and the World Cup competition is there, but they're really stepping it up to make it a world class facility.

Which...wouldn't help us get the winter games. But it's an example of how the existing facilities are still in use, being maintained and improved over time.
If that was the venue for the Olympics, improvements and expansion would absolutely help any Olympics bid. Showing the IOC that you've maintained all the facilities, and are still updating them to be technologically advanced and more attractive (also Vivint arena), it would definitely help. A brand new facility built for hosting the games is probably the best in the eyes of the IOC, so any existing 2002 venues need to be upgraded for tech mainly (wifi, new cameras and broadcast tech, wifi for public and journalists, etc). Not good enough to just say "see, the building still exists". But with cities and residents not willing to bankrupt their towns anymore to host the Games, where they'll lose money, it drastically helps cities like SLC. These incremental improvements would boost any bid.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:52 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
Not really, it will be about the same size but a circle.

Unfortunately that rendering is outdated and inaccurate... this is what it will look like. They cheapened up the design considerably.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:54 AM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:16 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Seems like I’ve read on here a few times that there was a plan to tear down the people’s freeway from 300W to West temple and heve the freeway end at 300w... well that's not happening. They are currently replacing all the bridges and doing a complete rehab on that section of freeway. I can’t imagine they would do that if there were plans to eliminate that section any time in the neer future.

Also. Does anyone know why they havnt started taking down the temporary buildings for ODR? Usually they start taking them down on Sunday, the day after it ends. Here we are Wednesday and there has been no activity. Are they possibly using them for another event?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:51 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Seems like I’ve read on here a few times that there was a plan to tear down the people’s freeway from 300W to West temple and heve the freeway end at 300w... well that's not happening. They are currently replacing all the bridges and doing a complete rehab on that section of freeway. I can’t imagine they would do that if there were plans to eliminate that section any time in the neer future.

I had the exact same thought as I watched UDOT's Facebook video just now. Those bridges will be there another 20 years now. Not sure how I feel about that.

https://www.facebook.com/utahdot/vid...5057526211715/

That said, it crosses a railroad at 300 West. Any chance of that line ever being added to the network of TRAX downtown?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:25 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

I had the exact same thought as I watched UDOT's Facebook video just now. Those bridges will be there another 20 years now. Not sure how I feel about that.

That said, it crosses a railroad at 300 West. Any chance of that line ever being added to the network of TRAX downtown?
The tracks that cross 300 west need to be ripped out. They are horrible to drive over.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
The tracks that cross 300 west need to be ripped out. They are horrible to drive over.
I think it would be great to keep part of it as a rail trail, like instead of the 'High-Line' it's the Low-Line from the Ballpark to all of the potentially cool areas of Central 9th. If more developers came in and rehabbed some of those older buildings along the rail line and 4th west, into restaurants, that could be really cool.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 3:52 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think it would be great to keep part of it as a rail trail, like instead of the 'High-Line' it's the Low-Line from the Ballpark to all of the potentially cool areas of Central 9th. If more developers came in and rehabbed some of those older buildings along the rail line and 4th west, into restaurants, that could be really cool.
I’m mainly just talking about the tracks that actually cross 300W. They are a horrible mess. It would be nice to rip them out and fix the street right there. They did the same thing on state and main right by where Classic Bowling use to be... they ended up putting them back in but the old ones were in bad shape... and the one on 300W is way way worse then thoes ever were.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

I am upset about it.

300 west is underutilized. The viaduct is horrible for the neighborhood (I lived on Jefferson St once). The land has a better use for sure. If SLC wants to create a tech district around the fleet block then you want the exit on 300 w not w temple.

The argument that it goes over Trax doesn't hold water imo because most of the people using the exit cross Trax at 700 s. Moving the exit to 300 w would actually mean less conflict with trax. Anyone working west of Main downtown would not have to cross it at all.

I don't want west Temple to be a wide highway type road anymore. 300 w, state, and 700 East are sufficient. Let's transform west Temple into something much better. Something we will be proud to have in the heart of our downtown.(ideally develop the median from 100-700s).

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Aug 3, 2017 at 5:22 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West