HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 11:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I just noticed this: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6111117
N.S.P.C. for healthcare and N.S.N.D.P. for small businesses… Did PC and NDP in Nova Scotia switch places or something?
Politics in Atlantic Canada is far less ideologically driven than in the RoC. It is a fight for the centre. It's not for nothing that the Tories here are still called the Progressive Conservatives.

Good governance is what counts, not ideology and demagoguery. This is a lesson the rest of Canada could learn...…..

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Politics in Atlantic Canada is far less ideologically driven than in the RoC. It is a fight for the centre. It's not for nothing that the Tories here are still called the Progressive Conservatives.

Good governance is what counts, not ideology and demagoguery. This is a lesson the rest of Canada could learn...…..
I suspect it may be our population size and riding area sizes that helps keep things close to home. Our politicians represent a smaller number of people compared to politicians in the bigger provinces. So the MPs are more accessible in general and are more likely to know their constituents better.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 5:34 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fed...call-1.6141189

Quote:
Canadians will head to the polls on Sept. 20.

Following a meeting with Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau this morning, Gov. Gen. Mary Simon approved his request to dissolve Parliament, triggering the issuing of the election writs and formally beginning Canada's 44th federal election.

The campaign will last 36 days — the minimum campaign length permitted by law.
Polling suggests another liberal minority government but with a possibly scandalous book coming out a week before the election and a 36 day campaign anything can happen

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 5:43 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens in Freddy; if the Green party can get a suitable candidate here (that can weather the Green Party National storm) or if we'll go Liberal and elect a party-crosser; or if we'll go blue (doubtful on the last).

In any case, yeah this is gonna be an interesting election month. I hope ultimately COVID doesn't play much of a factor in the end.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 6:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Freddy will certainly be the most interesting riding in the province to watch this time around.

Meanwhile in the southeast, nothing will change. You could run a trained seal for the Liberal Party in either Beausejour or Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe and it would win...........

Nationally the Liberals will win again, but their polling numbers have dropped five points since the election was rumoured a week ago. If the public is pissed off enough by an unnecessary pandemic election, the Liberals could be punished at the polls. I too predict another Liberal minority.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 6:36 PM

Two ridings in NL to watch:

- St. John's East: With NDP MP Jack Harris retiring, this is an open competition, likely between the Liberals and NDP. I would assume the Liberals have the advantage here and will definitely need this seat to get a majority.

- Bonavista-Burin-Trinity: One of the largest swings in the country towards the Conservatives in 2019, the CPC are running their 2019 candidate again (this time with support). She'll be fighting an uphill battle against the country-wide dislike of the current CPC, but she could pull it off.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 6:59 PM

I have a feeling the Conservatives are going to hold a slim majority this election. The younger generation is being drawn to the NDP, with false promises or free education and many more progressive ideas. ( not all are bad) just the NDP won’t be able to secure a majority ever. Without a majority it’s impossible to get through huge legislation. The NDP will eat at some of the liberal support and we will see some tight races won by conservatives for this reason.

This is just how I feel based on personally working with a campaign to prepare.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 7:15 PM

I think O'Toole loses some support in the west, where he can afford it, and Ontario, where he can't. The CPC has a legitimate shot at gaining three seats in New Brunswick- Miramichi-Grand Lake, Fredericton, and Saint John-Rothesay, from most to least likely.

More or less a status quo outcome, but seats will change hands. Slightly fewer CPC and more NDP on balance. Greens may get tabled.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
based on personally working with a campaign to prepare.
Just wanted to congratulate you for getting involved. More people should do the same. Change is effected from the inside, as you likely know.
I got involved very deeply in one election, got my ass handed to me in a paper bag, but learned so much, met so many nice and/or influential people, created a ton of memories and campfire stories, and did I mention that I learned a lot? LOL
I hope you enjoy every minute.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Just wanted to congratulate you for getting involved. More people should do the same. Change is effected from the inside, as you likely know.
I got involved very deeply in one election, got my ass handed to me in a paper bag, but learned so much, met so many nice and/or influential people, created a ton of memories and campfire stories, and did I mention that I learned a lot? LOL
I hope you enjoy every minute.
Thank you! I don’t have any political party preference which I let the Candidate know, but I see this person as someone who really will work hard and they were willing to give me a chance to prove my social media and marketing abilities to help them get elected. It will definitely be a very hectic month long campaign. If they win I’ll reveal them, if not I’ll just disappear for awhile haha

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I have a feeling the Conservatives are going to hold a slim majority this election. The younger generation is being drawn to the NDP, with false promises or free education and many more progressive ideas. ( not all are bad) just the NDP won’t be able to secure a majority ever. Without a majority it’s impossible to get through huge legislation. The NDP will eat at some of the liberal support and we will see some tight races won by conservatives for this reason.

This is just how I feel based on personally working with a campaign to prepare.
The CPC has begun their campaign with a wishy washy message on vaccines to pander to the far right, while even 51% of their own party supports vaccine requirements/passports. They are completely backed into a corner while trying to proclaim the election is too dangerous during a pandemic. They also produced an embarrassing childish ad the day before the election call. It doesn't look to me like a party that thinks it has a serious chance at a majority let alone a minority.

You can't really count on NDP voters especially because their distribution across the country doesn't work well for seats. They also lack a presence in Atlantic Canada (something they should be working on). If the polling tightens up I'd expect the ABC strategy comes more into play but even without it looks like a another LPC minority with a small chance at a majority.

Personally if I was a CPC voter I might wish for a liberal majority if for no other reason than to signal the need for a rebuild of the party. The focus on climate change will continue to grow as priority in future years and the party itself argues whether it is real. If its a liberal minority will the CPC change leaders again?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
The CPC has begun their campaign with a wishy washy message on vaccines to pander to the far right, while even 51% of their own party supports vaccine requirements/passports. They are completely backed into a corner while trying to proclaim the election is too dangerous during a pandemic. They also produced an embarrassing childish ad the day before the election call. It doesn't look to me like a party that thinks it has a serious chance at a majority let alone a minority.

You can't really count on NDP voters especially because their distribution across the country doesn't work well for seats. They also lack a presence in Atlantic Canada (something they should be working on). If the polling tightens up I'd expect the ABC strategy comes more into play but even without it looks like a another LPC minority with a small chance at a majority.

Personally if I was a CPC voter I might wish for a liberal majority if for no other reason than to signal the need for a rebuild of the party. The focus on climate change will continue to grow as priority in future years and the party itself argues whether it is real. If its a liberal minority will the CPC change leaders again?

Definitely don’t disagree with what you are saying here. A lot of what I’m saying is just based on observation. You are very correct that NDP votes aren’t the most reliable and I really don’t see them making a huge difference in Atlantic Canada. I know know there are a lot of youth who and I mean this nicely don’t fully understand how the political system works and so if they do decide to come out that will only hurt their desire for change as it will lead to another minority government.

As for the CPC, yes they are starting off from a bad place, and it’s hard to dig yourself out of a hole. You also have to look at how Doug Ford has hurt the brand as well as Jason Kenney, so I don’t disagree with you, I just don’t know at this point what will happen, but it will all depend on who turns out to vote.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:21 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:55 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
While I agree there are better methods we can have for voting representation I don't get why the liberals are always singled out on this one. Neither of the main parties wants to change this be it conservative or liberal. The one party who might actually make the changes needed is the NDP and they'll never get the representation needed with the FPTP system. No point in discussing it now anyways as another election won't be called until 2025 as the NDP can't afford one and they will prop up the liberals as long as they can.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 10:14 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
No point in discussing it now anyways as another election won't be called until 2025 as the NDP can't afford one and they will prop up the liberals as long as they can.
If Liberals delay again on acting on the social and if enough Canadians get disgusted by that and decided to fund the NDP as an alternative, the NDP might be in a position to force change.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 2:58 PM

So in the new federal cabinet Dominic LeBlanc has been handed an additional responsibility as Minister of Infrastructure and Communities. Anyone have any projects in mind they think might get off the ground because of this local representation?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
So in the new federal cabinet Dominic LeBlanc has been handed an additional responsibility as Minister of Infrastructure and Communities. Anyone have any projects in mind they think might get off the ground because of this local representation?
With this additional responsibility, it appears that Dominic is well placed to shepherd along a couple of pet projects of his (the prison hospital at Dorchester and the Atlantic Science Enterprise Centre at the DFO building in Moncton). There is also the completion of twinning of Highway 11 at least as far as Bouctouche (although this requires the cooperation of Parsimonious Higgs).

Also, it should be noted that Ginette Petitpas Taylor from Moncton, Riverview, Dieppe has been elevated back to cabinet. NB again has two seats at the table.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Does Via Rail fall into that domain in any way? Aside from the projects already mentioned, if he now gets any hooks into Via, it might help get the SJ/Moncton/Halifax route plans back on track and bring in more service for the Maritimes in general.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:58 PM
Throbbing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Does Via Rail fall into that domain in any way? Aside from the projects already mentioned, if he now gets any hooks into Via, it might help get the SJ/Moncton/Halifax route plans back on track and bring in more service for the Maritimes in general.
How about bringing Fredericton into the mix as well? The fact that our provincial capital has no passenger rail service depresses me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumater View Post
How about bringing Fredericton into the mix as well? The fact that our provincial capital has no passenger rail service depresses me.
I'd love to see that, but it's a pipe dream for now because the rails were ripped up long ago.

Better to work with what we have on the ground now, get the SJ-Halifax route down (and profitable, or as profitable as Via gets), and then we can start looking at pushing a line back up to Freddy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces