HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 7:18 PM
the first stamp is free

^ exactly my point tho. People are still choosing to live where housing is unattainable.

Until that changes, I don't really want to hear anyone from those areas whining about it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ exactly my point tho. People are still choosing to live where housing is unattainable.

Until that changes, I don't really want to hear anyone from those areas whining about it.
Where is housing attainable? LOL.

I mean we love Winnipeg, but I could see why people would stay in Calgary in spite of skyrocketing housing and rent prices. The economy is still great, taxes are low, and job prospects and wages are far higher.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
It will not be a win-win. It'll be devastating. We're reeling from immigration levels that were agreed to voluntarily. What'll happen if that number triples or quadruples? It's a grim outlook based on human history when these mass migrations happen.
If history is any indication, probably war. People aren't that different than mammals. When too many of us are competing for the same resources, and the influx of non-Canadians effects the entire population very adversely, it will lead to war and conflict.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 6, 2024 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:39 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I beg to differ. When one looks at Indeed, and sees 100-500 people applying to relatively unskilled Landscaping and Warehousing jobs, there is a shortage of employment opportunities.
Well, that's the thing: Just to take any job that came along as long as I figured I could tolerate it never took me more than an hour to find. I could literally walk out on one job and find a job on the way home. Of course, I was younger and didn't care but the crappy jobs have always been plentiful. Getting a job doing something slightly above tolerable with commensurate pay was a lot more difficult. While I'm settled now with good pay, I could never find any indication that unskilled labour jobs were less than a dime a dozen. Having hundreds of people lined up to take these jobs now is unfathomable to me. If I had to guess, I would say that we're talking about people who don't know how to find a job.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well, that's the thing: Just to take any job that came along as long as I figured I could tolerate it never took me more than an hour to find. I could literally walk out on one job and find a job on the way home. Of course, I was younger and didn't care but the crappy jobs have always been plentiful. Getting a job doing something slightly above tolerable with commensurate pay was a lot more difficult. While I'm settled now with good pay, I could never find any indication that unskilled labour jobs were less than a dime a dozen. Having hundreds of people lined up to take these jobs now is unfathomable to me. If I had to guess, I would say that we're talking about people who don't know how to find a job.
One of the problems is that with each passing year, Indeed seems to have a monopoly on the non-hidden job market. I still can recall when I was a youth in the 90s, going downtown, and using those Government kiosks to find any job. The Government Job Bank is now worthless. I actually heard that employers are now exponentially more likely to sift through an employees social media accounts (especially LINKEDIN), instead of going through one's resume with a fine tooth comb.

The key is now more than ever, networking. I had a fairly good network in Alberta, but being away from Manitoba for so long, I have to start from scratch. Developing a network takes time, and sadly the old days of dropping resumes off, and asking to speak with HR are also somewhat obsolete, especially with the big players.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 6, 2024 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 12:47 PM

^ what kind of work are you in? I'm truly shocked that it's tough to find a job here. I know numerous people who have recently made major jumps in their professional careers due to opportunities. I also know lots trade people who are constantly working tons and looking for people.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 1:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Where is housing attainable? LOL.

I mean we love Winnipeg, but I could see why people would stay in Calgary in spite of skyrocketing housing and rent prices. The economy is still great, taxes are low, and job prospects and wages are far higher.
I think my point has flown over everyone's head and hit the back wall.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 1:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Calgary is the city drawing folks from the BC Lower Mainland; as well as Ontario. Halifax is also drawing folks from Ontario.

Sorry Winnipeg...tough competition.
Lots leaving Toronto for the out lying areas too.

Halifax is a real gem, love going there. I'll stay where I am though, the weather can't be beat!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
^ what kind of work are you in? I'm truly shocked that it's tough to find a job here. I know numerous people who have recently made major jumps in their professional careers due to opportunities. I also know lots trade people who are constantly working tons and looking for people.
It would definitely help a lot of us, if you provided some actual names of these contractors.

When over 250 people are gathered at 9:45 AM (15 minutes before opening) at the Convention Centre for a job fair (with relatively few employers present), it definitely does not scream "there are a ton of jobs in this city."

Warehouse Associate position

I know it's Indeed, but nearly 800 people applied for this relatively entry level job.

Update:

Canada unemployment rate jumps to 6.1%

Statistics Canada says the unemployment rate jumped to 6.1 per cent in March as more people looked for work and job growth ground to a halt. That’s up from 5.8 per cent in February and marks the largest increase in the unemployment rate since summer 2022. The federal agency’s labour force survey shows employment was little changed last month, with the economy shedding 2,200 jobs, after modest increases over the last several months.

Job losses were concentrated in accommodation and food services, followed by wholesale and retail trade and professional, scientific and technical services. Meanwhile, employment increased in four industries, led by health care and social assistance. Statistics Canada says the increase in the jobless rate was driven by an increase of 60,000 people searching for work or temporarily laid off.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 5, 2024.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 5, 2024 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I think my point has flown over everyone's head and hit the back wall.
I get it, I was thinking the same things.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:

For me the next question is "why?". Why do people still rush to places where many of them will never be able to afford a house?

I suppose if one's career is only supported in a certain size of city, or immediate access to an ocean or mountain is essential to someone's lifestyle, then one's choices are limited. After that, is image/reputation of the city the guiding factor in people's decisions?

Pretty much any sizeable city will have good and bad areas where crime and poverty are more or less evident. Most cities will have the usual complement of stores, restaurants, movie theatres, and the basic amenities, though the availability of top-of-the-line concert experiences may be limited. I think night-life exists in some degree or another in every sizeable city, though where one must go to find it probably differs.

I guess Im thinking like an old fart instead of a young single looking for excitement, but it seems that we spend more of our lives either at work or at home, rather than in nightclubs or restaurants. To me, "affordable housing" isn't damning with faint praise, as it were. It should be a huge positive in choosing a place to live. But, then again, "old fart" thinking, I guess...

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
It would definitely help a lot of us, if you provided some actual names of these contractors.

When over 250 people are gathered at 9:45 AM (15 minutes before opening) at the Convention Centre for a job fair (with relatively few employers present), it definitely does not scream "there are a ton of jobs in this city."

Warehouse Associate position

I know it's Indeed, but nearly 800 people applied for this relatively entry level job.

Update:

Canada unemployment rate jumps to 6.1%

Statistics Canada says the unemployment rate jumped to 6.1 per cent in March as more people looked for work and job growth ground to a halt. That’s up from 5.8 per cent in February and marks the largest increase in the unemployment rate since summer 2022. The federal agency’s labour force survey shows employment was little changed last month, with the economy shedding 2,200 jobs, after modest increases over the last several months.

Job losses were concentrated in accommodation and food services, followed by wholesale and retail trade and professional, scientific and technical services. Meanwhile, employment increased in four industries, led by health care and social assistance. Statistics Canada says the increase in the jobless rate was driven by an increase of 60,000 people searching for work or temporarily laid off.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 5, 2024.
you still havent told us what kind work you are looking for!

so 93.9% canadians have jobs! almost every career fair has 1000's people lined up, it's been like that for decades.

using Indeed, there's 6961 jobs posted for Winnipeg. Assume 30% are BS, that still leaves you with 4900 active openings. looking at "last 7 days" theres 1300 posted.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
you still havent told us what kind work you are looking for!
You: "I know numerous people who have recently made major jumps in their professional careers due to opportunities. I also know lots trade people who are constantly working tons and looking for people."

Me: "It would definitely help a lot of us, if you provided some actual names of these contractors.'

you: "I'm not telling unless you disclose what type of work you are looking for."

you: "in my opinion (and I've been hiring for 14+ yrs in the IT sector), for entry level Developer types, i'd rather see someone who has a diploma and work experience in any sector (McD's, Walmart, mowing lawns, etc). I see many who have 0 experience, never had a job, fresh out of school. Having at least some type of empoloyment, it shows they know what it likes to have a boss, show up on time, communicate, etc etc."

Did it ever occur to you that maybe...just maybe some of us (including myself) will take about literally anything available? With some exceptions, people in general like to work. Hell I agreed to a lawn care job two weeks ago (that starts late April), if I could not find anything by that time.

Quote:
so 93.9% canadians have jobs! almost every career fair has 1000's people lined up, it's been like that for decades.
Actually, the employment rate is 63.4%

And no, not "every career fair has 1000's of people lined up."

Quote:
using Indeed, there's 6961 jobs posted for Winnipeg. Assume 30% are BS, that still leaves you with 4900 active openings. looking at "last 7 days" theres 1300 posted.

Did you ever bother to find out how many people are applying for said jobs? At best 30-35. At worst, there are a few I've seen that have 1,000 applicants. However, it must be my fault for being out of work for two months.

Are you always this obtuse?

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 6, 2024 at 1:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 1:39 PM

BlackDog204, less time on this forum, more time taking online courses for free and polishing up resume is what I suggest.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 3:44 PM

n/m

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 13, 2024 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 8:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

My son was in your shoes some time ago, he didn't know what to do. He ended up joining the Navy. He is out now and works for a defence contractor in Victoria.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
My son was in your shoes some time ago, he didn't know what to do. He ended up joining the Navy. He is out now and works for a defence contractor in Victoria.
that's pretty cool.

If I was 17, I definitely would consider a career in the Armed Forces. They had a career booth set up the Canadian military last week.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
that's pretty cool.

If I was 17, I definitely would consider a career in the Armed Forces. They had a career booth set up the Canadian military last week.
Thought of the Reserves for now? It's part time but you can't get deployed or posted. Basically choose a unit in town and work with them. Only travel needed is for courses that aren't run here. What kind of work do you do? Ive been in your shoes man, it fucking sucks. Right out of university I couldn't find a job for almost a year. Ended up railroading for a few months, hated it and jumped ship to a job I wanted tout suite.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Thought of the Reserves for now? It's part time but you can't get deployed or posted. Basically choose a unit in town and work with them. Only travel needed is for courses that aren't run here. What kind of work do you do? Ive been in your shoes man, it fucking sucks. Right out of university I couldn't find a job for almost a year. Ended up railroading for a few months, hated it and jumped ship to a job I wanted tout suite.
I was working for a decade in oil and gas, in a profession that is not really compatible with outside the industry. What sucks is I am in my mid 40s, and I've noticed that there definitely is a feeling among certain employers that I am too old for some jobs I apply for.

However, I did manage to land a labourer type job that starts Friday, and at this point, I am willing to settle on anything. I figure that if something comes up that I really like in late spring, I could always just switch over.

Thanks for the reserves idea though. It never occurred to me that they accept us old farts lol. At the career event I went to, there was definitely a large contingent of Ukrainians. If I had stuck around all day, I could ahve picked up some of the language...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 10:21 PM

Winnipeg Transit might work for you short term. I would hate the split shifts but I'd do it if I needed a job quickly.

https://info.winnipegtransit.com/en/...urly-pay-rate/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan