HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
With recent talk of huge road projects and urban highways (plus the LRT tunnelling options) I thought I would share this article. It's about Seattle's project to tunnel highway under the downtown to replace the existing Alaskan Way Viaduct and revitalise the waterfront. Also, how it's not going exactly to plan.

http://grist.org/politics/seattles-u...t-fustercluck/

I know it's not Calgary specific, but I thought some of the themes were relevant here.
Wow great article. Scary stuff. Sounds like the City of Seattle is getting bent over royally. You would think after Boston's experience with its Big Dig no-one would want to touch large urban tunneling projects for a long time.

Walking to the waterfront under that highway has got to be one of my sketchier Seattle experiences. Otherwise I love visiting there.

Hopefully Calgary doesn't enter into dumb developments like this.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
With recent talk of huge road projects and urban highways (plus the LRT tunnelling options) I thought I would share this article. It's about Seattle's project to tunnel highway under the downtown to replace the existing Alaskan Way Viaduct and revitalise the waterfront. Also, how it's not going exactly to plan.

http://grist.org/politics/seattles-u...t-fustercluck/

I know it's not Calgary specific, but I thought some of the themes were relevant here.
This could be very relevant to West Village. Bow Trail will likely be realigned and I bet there will be a fight between those who want to keep it as a freeway and those who want to slow it down and integrate into the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:45 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks for posting that article 5seconds - very one sided but still a very interesting read.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:34 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBeer View Post
Wow great article. Scary stuff. Sounds like the City of Seattle is getting bent over royally. You would think after Boston's experience with its Big Dig no-one would want to touch large urban tunneling projects for a long time.

Walking to the waterfront under that highway has got to be one of my sketchier Seattle experiences. Otherwise I love visiting there.

Hopefully Calgary doesn't enter into dumb developments like this.

Thanks for posting this! A very interesting read. I have always wondered what the effects would be of removing Deerfoot trail and redeveloping the riverfront land.

Obviously this would never happen in Calgary, besides giving Rick Bell 5 years worth of writing material I'm sure there would be lawsuits from industrial and commercial businesses along Deerfoot and a suburban Coup d'etat on City Hall.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:47 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Thanks for posting this! A very interesting read. I have always wondered what the effects would be of removing Deerfoot trail and redeveloping the riverfront land.

Obviously this would never happen in Calgary, besides giving Rick Bell 5 years worth of writing material I'm sure there would be lawsuits from industrial and commercial businesses along Deerfoot and a suburban Coup d'etat on City Hall.
I am a huge urbanist, but I see absolutely no reason to ever bury Deerfoot. It isn't adjacent to anything useful or developed. The area of Deerfoot adjacent to the river is entirely isolated or next to industrial land.

We don't have a comparable project in Calgary, because we don't have any freeways through our downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:42 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The only comparable thing I can think of in Calgary is Memorial east of Edmonton Trail.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:51 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I am a huge urbanist, but I see absolutely no reason to ever bury Deerfoot. It isn't adjacent to anything useful or developed. The area of Deerfoot adjacent to the river is entirely isolated or next to industrial land.

We don't have a comparable project in Calgary, because we don't have any freeways through our downtown.
Sorry if I misled you, I wondered what it would be like if deerfoot was removed, not buried.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:15 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Sorry if I misled you, I wondered what it would be like if deerfoot was removed, not buried.
That would also be a terrible idea. It is not a freeway through a downtown, or bisecting a neighbourhood. It isn't located on prime real estate and is flanked by industrial for most of it's length. It is a north/south freeway in a city whose major axis and freight traffic is north/south. What would be the point, other than some symbolic victory over the car?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:11 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
That would also be a terrible idea. It is not a freeway through a downtown, or bisecting a neighbourhood. It isn't located on prime real estate and is flanked by industrial for most of it's length. It is a north/south freeway in a city whose major axis and freight traffic is north/south. What would be the point, other than some symbolic victory over the car?
And, for most of Deerfoot's length, there already is a physical barrier preventing ease of access from side to side.

It's same reason why the Nose Creek alignment made no sense for the NC LRT, it's not worth building anything in that area.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
The only comparable thing I can think of in Calgary is Memorial east of Edmonton Trail.
Memorial North of downtown is more reminiscent of what Seattle wants to have after replacement of the freeway.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:27 AM
I'm the bear on the right

A group of LED Streetlights has been installed on 37th St SW between Richmond Rd and 26th Ave SW. Very, very bright. Haven't seen white light on a road since I was a kid in the 80s.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
A group of LED Streetlights has been installed on 37th St SW between Richmond Rd and 26th Ave SW. Very, very bright. Haven't seen white light on a road since I was a kid in the 80s.
LED's on Glenmore installed also, at least from ~ Sarcee to ~Richard Road. Didn't get a good feel for them as the sun had started to rise and it wasn't dark dark.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:53 PM

I was listening to the CBC this morning and they had Evan Woolley on talking about upgrading the underpasses from the Beltline to Downtown, it sounds like the 1st. SW underpass is now funded (~3.5M I think but I was half asleep) so hopefully the renovations will start this Spring/Summer.

Edit: I guess I should have looked at the city's webpage first, there is already a bunch of info on it.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...hancement.aspx

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:39 PM
BANNED

The 1st underpass should be finished by Stampede. Hopefully 8 st sw isn't far behind as these will be significant public realm upgrades that are needed.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 6:38 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyric View Post
I was listening to the CBC this morning and they had Evan Woolley on talking about upgrading the underpasses from the Beltline to Downtown, it sounds like the 1st. SW underpass is now funded (~3.5M I think but I was half asleep) so hopefully the renovations will start this Spring/Summer.

Edit: I guess I should have looked at the city's webpage first, there is already a bunch of info on it.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...hancement.aspx
If one of the objectives is to make it 'urine-free', I'm all for it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 3:54 PM
Near Generational

The City is holding an Open House for the McLeod Trail/194th Ave Connection on Thursday.

Details here.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:34 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Sure hope this study results in something the City can move forward on.
I don't really know why the previous study was terminated ?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^Sure hope this study results in something the City can move forward on.
I don't really know why the previous study was terminated ?
The study was guided by preconditions that led to a truly ludcrous expense as a result. Easier to start again with fewer assumptions and more initial options.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:48 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Ahh I see - thanks

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:08 PM

Does anyone know where the previous recommendations are?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure