HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 8:33 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
The Riot. Home of lost trophies.

I keep holding out hope that we start seeing development around the stadium soon.
Did someone misplace the MLS Cup Trophy that RSL won or something?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Did someone misplace the MLS Cup Trophy that RSL won or something?
LOL, No, I was talking about the big games played here at the Riot where the visiting team took home the trophies......

1. Western Conference Finals 2008
2. CCL Finals 2011
3. U.S Open Cup Finals 2013

What do each of these games have in common? RSL was shut out in each of these 0-1. 0-3 total.

The few trophies RSL has won, they won all those on the road. Til this day the club has yet to win anything at home. Hope that day comes.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 1:10 AM

I didn't realize that Peter Calthorpe and associates had already done some amazing TOD studies for the Salt Lake Valley. Peter Calthorpe is a renowned New Urbanist/environmentalist/architect that layed out Daybreak. These studies below are in the Murray area. These were done in 2002.

http://www.calthorpe.com/wasatch

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:57 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Another development that isn't going downtown............Oh No.

Real Salt Lake: Minor league stadium deal with West Valley City in closing stages
By CHRISTOPHER KAMRANI | The Salt Lake Tribune

"The deal between Hansen and West Valley City is in its closing stages, Zarkos said. An official announcement is expected within the next 30 to 45 days with the hopes of breaking ground on the stadium sometime in August. A construction timeline is anticipated last 14 months, start to finish.

"Pretty much, the deal's done," Zarkos said. "It's just getting the structure done right for taxation benefits. For all intents and purposes, we're good … It's moving full bore."

More:
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2465114...league-stadium
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 2:40 AM

I know we like to rip on the state, but outside perspective seems to like what Utah does. Nothing is ever perfect to all, but from the outside some really like what we do.

http://www.economist.com/news/united...and-surprising

Quote:
Utah’s curious history still defines it: the state’s population is nearly two-thirds Mormon. And so it may seem a strange place to look for lessons for the rest of America. Yet in recent years Utah has taken a surprising political path. The state is among the most Republican: in 2012 just 25% of its people voted for Barack Obama. Its governor, both senators and the entire congressional delegation are all Republicans. Yet, oddly, it is not the most conservative state in America. In several aspects of policy, Utah is quietly forging a model of constructive Republicanism.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:07 AM

Great article! Thanks for posting!

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:34 PM

Cottonwood Heights Plans Development District

By Tom Haraldsen

http://www.cottonwoodholladayjournal...pment-district

The future belongs to those who prepare for it, and officials in Cottonwood Heights City are working to stay ahead of the curve. In this case, it involves both curves and straightaways—along Fort Union Blvd.

A Planned Development District that city staff is now studying is intended to encourage mixed used development along the roadway, from 1300 East and Union Park eastward to the gravel pit on Wasatch Blvd.

“This has been on the city’s radar for the entire 10 years since its incorporation,” said Brian Berndt, community and economic development director. “The Fort Union corridor has some unique connection qualities that are underutilized, and we want to make sure we can offer options to both current property owners and those who look at new and redevelopment in the area.”

During his presentation at a city council work session, Berndt illustrated the potential for retail and residential development along Fort Union, as well as addressing the sales revenue leakage Cottonwood Heights is losing from residents’ spending.

“We’ve identified that more than two-thirds of the revenue we could be getting is leaving the city,” he said. “Hospitality dollars alone—lodging and food and beverage—are being spent in neighboring cities because our residents can’t find what they are looking for here.”

Fort Union’s connectability is multi-faceted. To the north, I-215 intersects at both 1300 and 2000 East, as well as at 3000 East, where motorists can turn to go up to Wasatch Blvd. On the boulevard itself, vehicles can travel to and from the canyons.

“So we’re looking at a type of zoning classification that could give property owners some options for development,” Berndt said. “By the city creating this master plan for the PDD, we can go out and seek funding for different grants, to help with highway, bike and pedestrian improvements.”

It’s a team approach, Berndt said, working with developers to help with established properties that are 40 or 50 years old and thus underutilized, as well as finding new businesses to come into the city.

“The code we’re proposing gives those owners and developers significant options,” he said.

The PDD divides the boulevard into three corridors—west, central and east. Though the development plan would be rolled out over the next 10 years, some of the changes could be much more immediate.

The west corridor, near existing retail businesses in the 1300 East and Union Park area, could see increased density of retail development, condensed parking areas that would reduce the amount of asphalt, improved visibility and signage, added entertainment options such as dining and plaza areas. Ultimately it is designed to recapture lost sales tax leakage through addition of new businesses.

“We want to create a place for people to shop and linger,” Berndt said.

Development in the central corridor, along Highland Drive and 2300 East, would be more recreation-related, with lunchtime eateries and a gathering place for community events. The plan calls for increased allowable housing densities and building heights (five to six stories), rental units at commercial nodes with townhouse development, increased walkability and bringing businesses out closer to the street.

“We can recapture lost sales tax leakage in smaller-scale businesses,” Berndt said.

The east corridor would ideally create a vibrant gateway to Fort Union, and could include splash pads, an ice skating rink, warming stations for bikers and walkers, food vendors and mobiles, interactive sports, a clock tower and unique, one-of-a-kind restaurants in a cluster area. Shuttle service to and from the canyons and from existing and future hotels would lend itself to development of this area. Class A office space in the area, which currently enjoys a 94 percent occupancy rate, would be increased. The Wasatch Front Regional Council estimates that 11,000 new jobs will be created in the city over the next 25 years.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:30 PM

I didn't know which thread this might belong to but Miller Motorsports Park is closing

Miller Motorsports Park to cease operations

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...perations.html

Quote:
The Miller Motorsports Park will cease operations on Oct. 31 of this year, the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies announced Friday, confirming a Deseret News report.

“On behalf of my family, I would like to thank all of those who have supported the track over the years, both locally and worldwide, for their enthusiasm and use of the facility," Larry H. Miller Group of Companies owner Gail Miller said in a statement released by the organization.

In its press release, the Miller group announced that it had indeed decided to not renew the lease on the land in Tooele County and to close the track, as was first reported by the Deseret News.

The Miller Motorsports Park will remain open throughout the racing season. The full schedule of summer racing events, driving schools, public karting and group activities will be held as planned, the organization announced.

Miller Motorsports Park opened in 2006 and was highly touted as being one of the nicest racing facilities in the world. However, it was also a huge financial drain on the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, losing millions of dollars since its inception.

Over the years, the Alan Wilson-designed, 4.5-mile track has hosted high-profile events, including the American Le Mans series, a NASCAR race (Grand National West Series), the FIM Superbike World Championship and the AMA Superbike Championship, among others.

Land adjacent to the track facility in Erda is one of five sites being considered by the Utah Legislature for the new Utah State Prison.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 11:51 AM

It's a good six months old, but this excerpt from the Rimrock Construction Blog about Holladay Village was good to hear. We need a photo update from someone who frequents that
area of the Village and old Mall regularly. Probably not much happening at the old Cottonwood Mall site yet, but it looks like The Holladay Village is moving along. Also, I've been
wondering if the current apartment boom is also happening along Highland Drive lately? It would seem that certain areas between I-215 and Sugar House would be ripe for more
residential density now.

KSL Article: New Mixed-Use Cottonwood Development Reinvigorates Holladay Community

The following is an exerpt from a KSL article about Rimrock's recently completed Holladay Village Center. Check it out.

HOLLADAY — When the recession hit in 2008, communities up and down the Wasatch Front felt the economic tremors.

The timing couldn’t have been worse for the city of Holladay, newly incorporated just nine years earlier and now in the middle of tearing down the old Cottonwood Mall. City Manager
Randy Fitts was worried.

“I think we started to do demolition that summer, and when the bottom fell out, we just thought, well we’ve got some problems,” Fitts said.

Plans for the 57-acre privately owned mall site were immediately put on hold, leaving the city’s hands tied. But Fitts and other Holladay leaders didn’t give up. Earlier this year, Fitts
and Mayor Rob Dahle watched as the Holladay Village Center opened its doors less than a block away from City Hall.

The mixed-use shopping, dining and office center is quickly filling up with boutiques, a salon, bike shop and several popular local restaurants. Andy Evans manages the newest
Caputo’s location.

“We knew that there was demand here in Holladay," Evans said. "Plenty of customers that come downtown that wanted us out here, and so here we are.”

Just across the plaza, Lunatic Fringe stylist Cliff Simons likes the look of the salon’s bottom line and appreciates the convenience for his customers.

“Everybody that lives up on top of the hill have to travel down to the downtown area or Sugar House, so honestly this location is perfect.”

READ MORE ON KSL

Posted by Rimrock Construction

Labels: Completed Projects, Retail

Rimrock Blog - http://3.bp.blogspot.com

Holladay Village Park

Holladay Village Plaza

Holladay Village Plaza http://img.ksl.com

Last edited by delts145; Sep 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:11 PM

So...fancy strip mall?

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 5:16 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
So...fancy strip mall?
pretty much. there is nothing urban about this design, as there is only retail and maybe a touch of office space on the second floor. Got to love it when a suburban city wants to go urban but at the same time have the mentality of not to urban.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 5:12 AM

I heard the other day about a proposed 14 story office building to go up in Sandy at the old Procenium site right next to I-15 just west of city hall. Does anyone know any details on that?

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 8:56 AM

Does anybody know if there's plans for anything to go in on the southeast corner of 200 East and 3300 South? There used to be a laundromat there but it closed about a year ago and they just tore it down. Are there any plans for that lot or did they just tear it down for safety reasons?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 7:11 PM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2553575-1...-its-land-near
so I don't know if anyone else has already seen this, but there goes my speculation about where the prison site was going to be. I'm guessing the Miller family didn't want to put themselves in the middle of a long drawn out legal battle potential. Probably smart on their part to keep good face with everyone. But I guess the list is now one site shorter than it was before. It does make me wonder what will end up going out there on that land. Probably nothing for a long time I'm guessing.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 4:01 PM
Let It Rise!

Photos

Hello all,

Here is a link to my Photo Walk thread if you are interested.
The photos are mostly shots of the buildings from different angles.

Also just an FYI, there were quite a few people in the downtown and surrounding area, but I tried to take photos without them in the shots.
Just so you know, the city was not a ghost town...

Anthony

Salt Lake City, Utah Photo Walk... http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...41#post7047141

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Last edited by ctobsl; Jun 2, 2015 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 5:30 PM

Park City Library will celebrate its grand opening

Scott Iwasaki, The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_2828344...-grand-opening

The wait is over.
The Park City Library's $9.6 million renovation is complete and the town will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, June 13 and it will be a party...

The Park City Library's will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday. The library has been closed since May 10, 2014, for a $9.6 million renovation. (Mark Maziarz)

Last edited by delts145; Sep 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 5:58 PM

Riverhorse purchases historical Imperial Hotel on Main Street
The building, which has been unused for years, will be turned into a market, event space and a condominium

Old Main, Park City

Bubba Brown, The Park Record
http://www.parkrecord.com/summit_cou...ce=most_viewed

An historic building on Main Street that has long sat dormant is under new ownership that has big plans for the property.

Riverhorse on Main recently bought the Imperial Hotel, at 221 Main St. The building, which the restaurant purchased from Provo-based Westlake Land, LLC., has changed hands multiple times in recent years but has been unused since it last operated as a hotel in 2006, according to The Park Record archives...

Adams said the restaurant plans to open a market on the ground floor of the building, which is more than a century old. He envisions an open, deli-like kitchen where customers can purchase items such as fresh meat.

The next floor will house an event space the restaurant will rent out and use for its own gatherings, Adams said. The restaurant is in the process of renovating the building to move a staircase from the middle of the floorplan to near the northern wall so the space can accommodate about 100 people standing and 60 to 80 people at a seated dinner...

Last edited by delts145; Sep 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:41 PM

I am extremely disappointed by this. I think completely demolishing Granite High is a complete lack of foresight and vision. I hope that their plan will be altered, but I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35224603&nid...&s_cid=queue-3
Plans call for 130 homes on old Granite High property

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc801 View Post
I am extremely disappointed by this. I think completely demolishing Granite High is a complete lack of foresight and vision. I hope that their plan will be altered, but I'm not holding my breath.

I couldn't agree more. I live in some apartments pretty close to Granite and am really disappointed that every time any proposal was brought to try and save and re-purpose the building everyone around started moaning about taxes being raised to have money for that. So now we all are going to get $300,000 boxes of stucco in place of the school. I guess at least it will help get some new development in the neighborhood there and hopefully help the area around it some.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:02 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc801 View Post

In an urban planning class where we had to reimagine South Salt Lake, I was assigned "education" which made me sad and happy. Sad because it's not as sexy as say "transportation" but happy because I don't know shit about rendering and stuff and it seemed like an easy enough thing for my lack of skills.

Anyway, it was actually really interesting and we worked the closest with the S SLC urban planner because it was all based around how being part of Granite School district essentially destroyed education in South Salt Lake. She was doing everything in her power to try and turn the school into a type of Charter School for kids lacking opportunity based around the Harlem School Project. It was a really great idea but it required some vision for the future and based on my experience working with the residents there (who were either very old or right off the boat refugees) it's a community that really lacks any kind of vision that would make it an exceptional community.

They didn't want to spend the extra money to save the school and make the charter school and now it will bite the dust like many of the cool older buildings that once had their place there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West