HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I was just up on Timothy Ave in Hanwell today and took a detour to check out some construction along the highway. No signage but two decent sized commercial buildings under construction, and about a dozen large lots with SOLD signs all along the highway. That is a really nice location with highway access a stones throw away.
That area has grown very quickly, probably because of the higway.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 3:04 PM
New Brunswick booster!

So...Fredericton is filled with smoke right now. Any ideas why? I live on the top of Regent and most times have a view of Oromocto and the northside but the are in a haze of thick blue smoke AND there arr ashes falling from the sky on to my balcony!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
So...Fredericton is filled with smoke right now. Any ideas why? I live on the top of Regent and most times have a view of Oromocto and the northside but the are in a haze of thick blue smoke AND there arr ashes falling from the sky on to my balcony!
Quebec forest fires - smoke plumes
http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/SWS_bu...e.html?prov=nb

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 8:00 PM
The Sheriff

Smoke, I heard St Marys was having their pow wow down by the river on the northside maybe that is why.. I was driving back from Chipman and saw all the action down there..

But Crazy just read that alert from the fires in Quebec. Crazy I am guessing they didn't get as much rain as we got here

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 11:14 AM

Smythe Street Roundabout

Roundabout concept: Here is the latest concept drawing of the roundabout proposed for the top of Smythe Street. A safety analysis has given the $2.3-million project the green light, but it must still be approved by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure and city council. SUBMITTED

GOVERNMENT-MUNICIPAL
ROUNDABOUT PASSES SAFETY REVIEW
BY STEPHEN LLEWELLYN LLEWELLYN.STEPHEN@DAILYGLEANER.COM16 JUN 2013 11:44PM
A proposed $2.3-million roundabout that would connect Smythe Street to Bishop Drive through Route 8 has passed a safety review.

But the project will require special signage, lighting and upgrades to the intersections at Smythe and Prospect streets and Smythe and Priestman streets, said Fredericton traffic engineer Darren Charters.

“We’ve had extensive analysis done, including the traffic study, which determines the impact of the connection on the overall system,” he said.

“Those (intersection) improvements are required now even if this (roundabout) doesn’t go.

“We’re now into writing the final report. The third-party (pre-design) safety analysis has been completed as well.”

Charters said another third-party safety analysis will be done when the design is finalized.

The safety analysis didn’t find anything unexpected, he said.

“There are a lot of safety issues that we’ve discussed with the auditor,” said Charters.

“We discussed ways to mitigate the safety concerns they had in their report.

“It is doable. We have the green light from the safety folks.”

But the roundabout will require design changes, he said, which include warning signs and lighting, pavement markings and possible speed radar signs.

Rumble strips have been mostly ruled out because of the noise they would create for hotels in the area, said Charters.

“The major hurdle has always been the safety and with the recommendations from the safety experts ... Our comfort level is to the point we intend to move forward,” he said.

A third-party roundabout design expert has also looked at the project plan and is making operational recommendations, said Charters.

The city budgeted $500,000 for the project this fiscal year but work isn’t expected to start on the roundabout until 2014, he said.

The upgrade of the intersection of Priestman and Smythe streets will be done this year and involve a double left-hand turn lane from Priestman Street onto Smythe Street, the first such intersection upgrade in the city, said Charters.

“We have to do the detailed design on that,” he said.

“That will be later on in the year.”

The Prospect and Smythe streets intersection upgrade will be done in 2014, he said.

The next step for the project is to get approval from the provincial Department of Transportation and Infrastructure, said Charters.

He said the city hopes to send the proposal to the department in the next month.

“What we’d like to do is we want to finalize our reports, complete our designs including the safety enhancements we have made to the design and send a complete package to DTI (Department of Transportation and Infrastructure),” said Charters.

The roundabout, which is being financed entirely by the city, must also get final approval from city council, he said.

Mayor Brad Woodside said council supports the roundabout project.

“Council is committed to making changes that move traffic in a safe and efficient manner,” he said.

He said no one would support the project if it wasn’t determined to be safe, adding roundabouts are working well everywhere else.

There have been letters to the editor saying a roundabout in a highway is dangerous.

“I know that some people have not been in favour of it and actually some people have a real difficult time with change,” said Woodside.

“It’s a matter of educating when we’re doing something different.”

The mayor said waiting for an overpass, which costs three to four times as much as the roundabout, wasn’t in the cards.

“The money’s not there provincially or the municipality,” he said.

“We’re doing the next best thing.”

I'm all for it. I don't see how this is worse than having an intersection with stop lights through a 90km/h roadway - doesn't Moncton have a couple of those on Wheeler? Do people in Moncton complain about that?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 9:58 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Still not sure how I feel about it. ^^^

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 10:21 AM

Good stuff. Lets get it going, traffic at Prospect & Regent ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 AM

I think the roundabout will be a great improvement. My only regret with the design is that they are using a set of lights at the intersection of Bishop and Smythe. How does that help anything? It should be another roundabout!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat610 View Post
I think the roundabout will be a great improvement. My only regret with the design is that they are using a set of lights at the intersection of Bishop and Smythe. How does that help anything? It should be another roundabout!
I agree, but can you imagine the backlash from some citizens? Haha.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM
The Sheriff

Traffic Circles

Traffic Circles are good only for the people who know how to use them. Ive seen so many people almost get in an accident on the Brookside Dr and Reyolnds. People either stop or slam on their breaks in the middle. ITs not really rocket science.. I was in Portland Maine last month and Ive seen a few of them and the people there know how to use them. WEll from what I saw anyways

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:46 PM

Agreed; they work good when you know it. But people need practice to learn how to use them, which puts us in a bit of a chicken and the egg situation.

As they've been installed in some of the secondary routes, the knowledge is starting to spread, but I suspect we'll have to bite the bullet with a big, fairly unavoidable intersection like OldTCH/Smythe, to really get the practice out there.

For me, I have no problem using them. I watch the circle as I'm approaching, and try to adjust my speed so I can slip in with the traffic if there is any, and just swing around. (Hell there are times I use the one on Brookside just to do a U-Turn to get into Brookside Mall instead of trying to wait for traffic to turn left).

My parents, my mom especially, have no clue how to use them, DON'T watch the circle as they get close, tend to panic a bit and do those stop and go as they enter it.

Circles really aren't that difficult to use, as long as you don't over think them. Sure they're a little different from what you're used to but not THAT difficult, and really they're easier than most intersections since you only have to pay attention to 1 direction.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 2:58 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

You should all read this article from the Globe and Mail. Pretty much sums up the biggest problem with Moncton's biggest true roundabout (the one at the causeway).
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12573689/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Traffic Circles are good only for the people who know how to use them.
Doesn't that statement apply to...basically everything?

I can just imagine what would happen if they introduced a double turning lane at an intersection in Fredericton. There really should be one or more at Regent and Prospect.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:01 PM

Agreed I've long said that middle lane on Regent should be a Left or Straight turning lane, just to handle the traffic turning from the mall onto Prospect. (Hell the buses already practically use that as a left turn lane when traffic's really bad)

Then again at least we have some road rules. Just saw "Don't Drive Here!" last night on Dehli and man, no matter how bad we think things are here, we aren't as crazy as they are over there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Doesn't that statement apply to...basically everything?

I can just imagine what would happen if they introduced a double turning lane at an intersection in Fredericton. There really should be one or more at Regent and Prospect.
Oh god, don't even joke about that. Considering how half the city has no idea how to make a left hand turn, a double turn lane is just begging for accidents.

It really would be helpful though. Same with the roundabout, although I think people are learning that. As for people stopping in it... people stop in other places too. I've seen people stop on the ring road because they don't know how to merge, or stop in the middle of Brookside to let cars make turns instead, or come out of the Sobeys parking lot... its just goofy.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 9:03 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Agreed; they work good when you know it. But people need practice to learn how to use them, which puts us in a bit of a chicken and the egg situation.

As they've been installed in some of the secondary routes, the knowledge is starting to spread, but I suspect we'll have to bite the bullet with a big, fairly unavoidable intersection like OldTCH/Smythe, to really get the practice out there.

For me, I have no problem using them. I watch the circle as I'm approaching, and try to adjust my speed so I can slip in with the traffic if there is any, and just swing around. (Hell there are times I use the one on Brookside just to do a U-Turn to get into Brookside Mall instead of trying to wait for traffic to turn left).

My parents, my mom especially, have no clue how to use them, DON'T watch the circle as they get close, tend to panic a bit and do those stop and go as they enter it.

Circles really aren't that difficult to use, as long as you don't over think them. Sure they're a little different from what you're used to but not THAT difficult, and really they're easier than most intersections since you only have to pay attention to 1 direction.

I know when I went for my driving test back in 1996. There was nothing about round abouts.. I think it should be like parrell parking If you cant do it then you should not get your license

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 9:28 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
I know when I went for my driving test back in 1996. There was nothing about round abouts.. I think it should be like parrell parking If you cant do it then you should not get your license
They can only teach you how to use something if you've got one to practice with. They don't teach people here how to properly drive on big city freeways either.

I personally find the whole thing pretty baffling. What is so difficult about driving in a circle? Merge when you have room, but yield to people already in the circle. It's in no way different than if you were on a highway ramp and merging into traffic.

The bigger issue isn't roundabouts. It's the fact that so many people have a mental block when it comes to proper merging.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 10:35 PM

Here are some developments going on across the road from Heron Drive in West Hills.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 4:35 AM

Some things never change. Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation's spring rental market survey shows Fredericton has the lowest apartment vacancy rate among the province's large urban centres, at 5.2 per cent.

The Fox 105.3

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 8:30 PM

New store opening at the Regent Mall on August 1 called Journeys.

http://www.journeys.com/store_locator.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces