HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Sure, although it would be hard to imagine land in downtown Winnipeg being that much in demand. We’ll see if the fourth tower materializes, first!
Why is it so hard to imagine? Chipman owned companies have now built 4 towers near MTS Centre with another 2 on the way. On that basis, a seventh doesn't strike me as somehow being out of the question.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 6:40 PM

@SeanBarnes13
5m5 minutes ago
J+D Penner installing granite pavers as part of the @PCLConstruction team in the public plaza @truenorthsquare

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:30 PM
Ignore these four words.

Bam!

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Why is it so hard to imagine? Chipman owned companies have now built 4 towers near MTS Centre with another 2 on the way. On that basis, a seventh doesn't strike me as somehow being out of the question.
It would depend on if there is any public $$$ to be found (TIF, etc).

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 4:02 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
The former bookstore is not that old by downtown standards, it's an early 80s build IIRC. A very well kept building that was only ever occupied by one tenant.

That said, I am intrigued by Biff's comment. As much as I like the idea of developing that site, it is fairly small... I'm not sure what you could really build there. Could you realistically fit a 10+ storey building on that site?

I always sort of thought TNSE would eventually work out a deal with RWB to acquire their residence and then use that site for TNS phase 3. They could probably then fit RWB's residence into that development or on a site nearby.

EDIT: something like the Edge would be awesome for that site. I really like that building. It would be the one corner in downtown Winnipeg to my knowledge where all 4 buildings on the corner are from this century.
Hull's bookstore moved from a much smaller location somewhere downtown to Graham Ave. in the "heady days" just before Portage Pl. opened in '87.
Checking NewspaperArchive.com (via WPL),,,
A Jan. 28, 1986 Free Press article mentions a Hulls address of 372 Graham Ave.
An Oct. 31, 1985 (pg. 26) full page ad in the Free Press says "Grand Opening".

Last edited by LilZebra; May 28, 2018 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 5:14 PM

Looks like they're building scaffolding on graham to protect possible pedestrians? Maybe they'll be opening that sidewalk soon?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 5:46 PM

Photo's from today. Getting a lot of the corners and edges worked on now. Starting to come together.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 5:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Soon the construction fencing will be strictly around Tower 2 and gone around Tower 1.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Hull's bookstore moved from a much smaller location somewhere downtown to Graham Ave. in the "heady days" just before Portage Pl. opened in '87.
Checking NewspaperArchive.com (via WPL),,,
A Jan. 28, 1986 Free Press article mentions a Hulls address of 372 Graham Ave.
An Oct. 31, 1985 (pg. 26) full page ad in the Free Press says "Grand Opening".
I think shortly after closing on Graham they re-opened on Portage somewhere.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
^ I suppose that only the developer knows for sure, but I would imagine that something like a residence filled with the RWB's students would have some very particular needs. I can't imagine that you could just put them into a standard apartment building without extensive changes first.
Maybe yes, maybe no. They're people like anyone else. If anything, it would be their lack of need... i don't imagine that RWB needs them to have brand new appliances, high end finishes and all those amenities... They need perhaps a usable kitchen and a bed. So transforming the floorplate might be needed unless RWB wants to pony up and pay market rent for a larger unit.

Quote:
It's not unimaginable for Chipman's to strike a deal with a particular party for a particular need, but at this point in time we don't know where the market demand lies to warrant another high rise. Perhaps more low/midrise buildings that are cheaper to build, but right now we're out of TIFs and tax abatements and are about to flood the market with supply.

Aside from the chipmans striking a deal, it's a question of the market, not if it's possible because of the chipmans.

However, demand did free up a little now that SKyCity has died... perhaps...

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:03 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think shortly after closing on Graham they re-opened on Portage somewhere.
1317 Portage to be exact. The same building I took a Data Entry Course in 30 years ago.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:54 PM

I live not far from the RWB and we had students living in our building. They shared a two bed-room place. They were nice.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:58 PM

From my viewpoint, I find a lot more action on site in the mornings. Maybe crews are scheduled differently. Just seems like there was a ton of stuff going on this morning. Now there's nothing happening. All the lifts are parked, nobody around.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
From my viewpoint, I find a lot more action on site in the mornings. Maybe crews are scheduled differently. Just seems like there was a ton of stuff going on this morning. Now there's nothing happening. All the lifts are parked, nobody around.
I wonder if the heat has anything to do with it?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I wonder if the heat has anything to do with it?
Well, how long is a typical working day, and when do they usually start?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:49 PM

When I was getting off work at 5am a few months ago I would see the PCL laborers doing their morning pre job stretches as I was coming out of City Place.

Now that I start at 6am I see some workers heading into the site so they may be working by 6:30am. As the building gets more fitted out there may also be less staff onsite to do the remaining work.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
IIRC, I remember looking for events at the Burt pre-TNSE and they had a handful a quarter. Now there's that many a month. I don't have numbers to back it up, but from the eye/memory test, there appears to be a lot more events there.

I know they did some improvements. I suspect as the venue becomes more profitable that they would continue to make more.
Because The Burt was a non-profit before and had no money, they never bought shows – they were strictly a venue for hire. So they wouldn't actively look for shows, would just hope if touring shows were looking for events, they would reach out. That's why there was always high school-age events there.

Quote:
^ I suppose that only the developer knows for sure, but I would imagine that something like a residence filled with the RWB's students would have some very particular needs. I can't imagine that you could just put them into a standard apartment building without extensive changes first.
Considering many of their students are under 18, I'm sure they have some different needs from standard units and buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Sure, although it would be hard to imagine land in downtown Winnipeg being that much in demand. We’ll see if the fourth tower materializes, first!
Land is not necessarily in high demand here, but at that location it definitely could be. Sure TN could build on many other lots if wanted, but they wouldn't be right in the middle of their existing major development(s).

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Well, how long is a typical working day, and when do they usually start?

I don't know how long they work. Looking at site righty now, everything is as it was yesterday. Anyways, not a big deal, just an observation.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:57 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Because The Burt was a non-profit before and had no money, they never bought shows – they were strictly a venue for hire. So they wouldn't actively look for shows, would just hope if touring shows were looking for events, they would reach out. That's why there was always high school-age events there.
Interesting. Thanks. Yeah, I don't know that side of the business, but glad to see so many events there now.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Interesting. Thanks. Yeah, I don't know that side of the business, but glad to see so many events there now.
The Burt was out Plan B (in case of bad weather) for a major indy wrestling event back in 2002 (we had it at Shaw Park). We were going to do monthly shows there. The deal, if I recall, was they'd take a portion of tickets based on X amount sold.

They were very keen to do business. But the guy that ran the place (at least as far as who we were dealing with) was a total jerk and we wanted nothing to do with him after the Shaw Park event.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan