HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 2:28 AM

Well, we don't need to worry about it for a while. I won't lie, I was a little excited about it, but I'm over it now and I'm sure we'll be completely fine despite the hysteria of the yes team after their defeat.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 3:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
A new arena might fall victim to pro sports suffering the same trends as the Olympics.
That could be one potential positive outcome, agreed.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:04 AM

City to pay for half of arena costs in proposed deal

Meghan Potkins, Calgary Herald
Updated: July 22, 2019

The cost of a new $550-million arena would be split between the city and the owners of the Calgary Flames, with the city retaining ownership of the new building in Victoria Park.

According to the terms of the proposed deal — which will still have to be ratified by a vote of council — the Flames will carry the operating and maintenance costs for the new facility for the duration of a 35-year agreement.

The city will also receive a “facility fee” for the lifetime of the agreement and a share of the cash expected to come from the building’s naming rights.

Calgarians will have seven days to digest the proposed deal and offer feedback before July 29 when council is expected to vote to either ratify or reject the agreement.

If approved, the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC) is expected to lead construction and public consultations on the design of the building.

Council members met behind closed doors Monday afternoon to discuss the tentative agreement between the City of Calgary, the Calgary Flames and the Calgary Stampede.

Flames vice-chair Ken King was at city hall Monday evening for a news conference on the proposed deal alongside Mayor Naheed Nenshi and Stampede CEO Warren Connell. The Stampede has been involved in negotiations for the new facility since the Stampede owns the land in Victoria Park where a new arena would be built.

Calgary Sport and Entertainment Corp. (CSEC) will provide $75 million in funding to local amateur sports organizations for the lifetime of the agreement.

The city said in a news release that it also expects to see additional property tax revenue from the development surrounding the Victoria Park facility.

Davison said council could spend the next week talking to Calgarians about the proposed deal before the vote on July 29.

“We don’t need a $2-million engagement plan to take feedback in,” Davison said. “Obviously people have access to councillors’ emails and phone and social media channels. You can always submit letters through the clerk’s department, which would be accepted as part of the corporate record. So there’s many, many ways that the public can let us know how they feel about this.”

Coun. Evan Woolley said Monday that he’ll be urging his council colleagues to delay a final vote on the arena deal in order to extend public consultations.

Asked about the timing of the proposed arena deal arriving at the same time as city council prepares to cut $60 million from municipal budgets, Davison said council must deal with “conflicting” priorities all the time.

“We’re not oblivious. The timing is not ideal. We know there is a lot of things going on with respect to the budget,” said Davison. “But when you really look at $60 million worth of cuts, it’s really talking about two to three per cent of our operational budget. The sky is not going to fall for two to three percent.”

This will be the third attempt at reaching a deal to replace the Saddledome in the last four years.

Talks last broke down in 2017 amid an ugly dispute between the city and the Flames over the terms of a potential deal for a new arena in Victoria Park. The city had offered to pay one-third of the cost of a new arena, approximately $185 million, but the Flames were looking for the city to pay closer to half the cost.

More to come…

Source: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...y-as-next-week

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:15 AM

Dumb question alert:

Will they keep the Saddledome or demo, once the team moves to new rink?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlp89 View Post
Dumb question alert:

Blow it up.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:18 AM

What isn’t clear to me is whether the city is collecting the facility fee.

If so the city net contribution without the cost of finance is around $120 million.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
What isn’t clear to me is whether the city is collecting the facility fee.

If so the city net contribution without the cost of finance is around $120 million.
I'm pretty sure they are based on what was said in the press conference.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:34 AM

I assume you've seen this:

Seems fine to me, get 'er done.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I assume you've seen this:

Seems fine to me, get 'er done.
What's this about a possible second smaller arena mentioned in the info graphic? I hope that this is designed to make modifications easy to do so they can keep current. 35 years is a long time in arena land. The financials don't look bad at all. I was expecting this to cost $600 million but I guess it's possible that construction costs could be a lot lower now.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 5:12 AM

Artist rendering of a rejuvenated Stampede Trail. The Event Center to me looks a little too basic. It doesn't have to be iconic but this doesn't stand out at all.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlp89 View Post
Dumb question alert:

Seems sad to demo it when there are other uses that it could potentially be retrofitted for such as a water park/wave pool or other uses a la Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:25 PM

If it can be retrofitted that would be good. In Toronto Ryerson funded a big chunk of that. Edmonton sat around waiting for partners and after a not very formal search found none.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:46 PM

What a joke. The supposed business case doesn't even consider the time value of money.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:14 PM

In the press conference a city official stated the NPV of the deal to the city is -$48 million. They considered it - they just don’t consider it a useful number to give the public because it won’t be understood. If they were promoting “only a $48 million cost” detractors would be out and about spreading fud saying “how can spending more than $200 million only cost $48 million, it just does not make sense”

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Artist rendering of a rejuvenated Stampede Trail. The Event Center to me looks a little too basic. It doesn't have to be iconic but this doesn't stand out at all.

What direction is the view? I can’t picture in my mind where the artist is standing.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 5:50 PM
Near Generational

It's looking north up Olympic way/4th st/Stampede Trail. You can see the national music center in the distance.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:01 PM
Near Generational

So the city coughs up half of the upfront costs, plus all of the infrastructure/utilities, ends up with an arena and some higher revenue in an underdeveloped part of the core.

Seems like a good deal, no?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:08 PM

It's a deal where I don't feel like we're getting completely shafted, so it's good enough for me. I'm sure people with more expertise than me will be able to more thoroughly look at the numbers and decide, but to me it seems better than expected. Calgary needs something to get excited about, so by all means let's get on with it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:24 PM

Yeah. It is a really good deal - way better than Seattle’s. Way better than Edmonton’s. Would need to dive into numbers but possibly better than most if not all that have had public participation over the last 30 years.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 8:50 PM

For those wondering about what's going to happen to the Saddledome, the Calgary Herald article I posted last night has been updated to include some key info on this matter and one other point worth noting.

One key additional cost to the city will be the demolition of the Saddledome: the city will pay $12.4 million, or 90 percent of the total cost.

The deal also includes an option that would allow CSEC to acquire valuable city lands for redevelopment, including lands at the site of the former Enoch Sales house and Victoria Park bus barns along the banks of the Elbow River. The option on Enoch Sales would expire on opening day of the arena. The option on the bus barns would expire after 10 years.

The option for CSEC to acquire and develop lands in the area is something I said all along that they wanted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates