HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 1:02 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Wow - can't wait to see it. But too bad that they covered up the weights.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 3:22 AM
Plenary pleasures.

^^The weights were never intended to be exposed, they serve a very specific purpose, just to anchor the tethering systems that is tied to the skylights, so I think it's best that their concealed otherwise they'd probably take away from the simplistic beauty of the overall space. It really was gorgeous (even under construction) and I think you'll all like the photos..if I can get my ass in gear and post them onto flickr already LOL

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 4:20 AM

Add my voice to the "throw the bums in jail for wanting to tear down South Shore High" chorus.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 4:23 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
You're joking I hope??
yes. the photo, with the construction around it, and rope on top of it, looks like it was just placed there. But def not joking about it being a masterpiece.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 5:23 AM
Chicago

Art Institute of Chicago's Modern Wing

Looks like wrabbit and I covered some of the same ground on Friday. Nice shot, by the way.

August 29, 2008

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....stitute-o.html

Art Institute of Chicago's Stock Exchange Arch to reappear

August 22, 2008
By Blair Kamin

Ever since construction began on the Art Institute of Chicago's Modern Wing three and a half years ago, one of the most important pieces in the museum's collection--the arch from the late, great Chicago Stock Exchange Building--has been under wraps, hidden in a protective cocoon of blue fabric mesh and scaffolding....

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 2:56 PM
Urbane observer

^Early on, there was talk that this project would include turning the arch 90 degrees, because Sullivan supposedly designed it specifically for eastern light.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 7:31 PM

Regarding the South Shore High School..
As a student, I like windows, I like to have natural light.
Learning can be hard when you feel like you're in a prison.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 8:18 PM
tilted & shifted

Upgraded Riverwalk awash in beauty

September 1, 2008
BY CELESTE BUSK, Sun-times News Group

If you haven't been to the Chicago Riverwalk lately, it's time head to the Loop to enjoy the new and venerable attractions waiting for you along the river's edge.

To make Chicago's "second lakefront" - as Mayor Richard Daley calls it - more enjoyable, the city has been progressively working on a plan that envisions creating a continuous riverwalk on the south bank from Michigan Avenue to Lake Street. Already, you can start at Lake Shore Drive and head west to just about Wacker Drive. But you get stuck at the bridges.

To make the Chicago Riverwalk easier to navigate, the city is building walkways beneath the north side of the bridges to link existing riverwalk paths. The new connections will eliminate the pedestrian headache of running up a set of bridge-tower stairs, crossing the street and going back downstairs...

http://www.southtownstar.com/lifesty...erwalk.article

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I was privileged enough to be given a site tour of this building on 8/22 (I will be posting pictures relatively soon) and was told that Turner will be turning over the building to the AIC on October 25, by which the building will essentially be done (core-shell and basic interior finishes) - the AIC then contracts their own interiors and curatorial consultants/contractors which will start working on installations and such all the way until the grand opening on May 16, 2009.

It's truly a gorgeous building inside with some genius architectural/engineering components..
.....Great, can't wait to see the pics ......can you tell us what is going on with the bridge ? .....they have had those temporary supports up all summer....is the bridge considered to be part of the building (and to be completed on Oct 22nd as well ??)

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 3:12 AM
Plenary pleasures.

here you go bitches..er..friends - as promised

Second floor gallery facing Millenium Park - the second floor ceiling is re-enforced concrete with the lighting track embedded in the concrete form - compare this with the image above of a 3rd floor gallery with the skylights and 'flying carpet' fins above.

The maroon rectangle is one of the structural counterweights that are embedded within the walls that support "Main Street"

Second floor view of 'Main Street'

Third floor roof deck view of Nichols bridge

West side admin. spaces

Detailing on this job is impeccable..but would you expect less for nearly $400 million??

South side view

Hope you've enjoyed - all in all this is a STUNNING and enviable addition to Chicago's artistic heritage - as always please reference the source if you copy these (and please use discretion as this is still an active construction site and I'd like to minimize any potential liability...I'd like to keep my job, thank you).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 4:07 AM

Thanks for sharing, sent

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 4:45 AM
BANNED

awesome fotos!

opinions: wow... wow... and whoa... 10/10?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 4:53 AM

when everything's completed, that might be the single best view in the city....

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 5:54 AM
Registered

Sentinel, thanks for the photos. I think it's a fine addition to the city, although I think in my book it's going to fall a touch short of greatness. I'm guessing I'll give it 8/10, and that's only after ignoring the stuff it mercilessly replaced. It's a Piano building, but not an especially distinguished Piano building.

Thanks also for responding to my structural question.

____

GREAT NEWS for anyone who loves Chicago - coming soon to a Landmarks meeting near you, the city will be discussing and likely designating a very large swath of Lower River North as a landmark district. This district, which comes up frequently on this forum, was first advocated for by the preservation community (I believe) over 6 years ago. This will focus development in River North to more controlled areas, hopefully push demand higher (yielding taller and more impressive buildings), and of course protect a major historic asset of the city's past.

The district is largely centered between Franklin and Dearborn Streets, and in the vicinity of Kinzie, Hubbard, Illinois and Grand. Not everything noteworthy would be protected (and those of you paying close attention will notice some glaring omissions that reek of political connectedness), but a good chunk of it is going to be saved. Frankly, we're lucky so much of this place survives at all.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 6:39 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Thanks all...and here's some more!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 7:30 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Awesome news on the River North preservation Honte. We can we learn more specifics perhaps? Any idea which buildings could be glaring omissions?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 1:31 PM

Thanks for the wonderful pics Sentinel! That third floor overlooking MP would be a wonderful place to host the IOC for a lunch or dinner in April on their visit to Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 2:02 PM
The City

Great update & much appreciated photos, Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
GREAT NEWS for anyone who loves Chicago - coming soon to a Landmarks meeting near you, the city will be discussing and likely designating a very large swath of Lower River North as a landmark district. This district, which comes up frequently on this forum, was first advocated for by the preservation community (I believe) over 6 years ago. This will focus development in River North to more controlled areas, hopefully push demand higher (yielding taller and more impressive buildings), and of course protect a major historic asset of the city's past.

The district is largely centered between Franklin and Dearborn Streets, and in the vicinity of Kinzie, Hubbard, Illinois and Grand. Not everything noteworthy would be protected (and those of you paying close attention will notice some glaring omissions that reek of political connectedness), but a good chunk of it is going to be saved. Frankly, we're lucky so much of this place survives at all.
^ Yeah, Crains has an article about this today. Great news! Not only will this protect these historic streetscapes, but it will hopefully force the redevelopment of some of those crappy parking lots and garages that remain in River North, esp since these historic buildings will be off-limits. That's really what I'm looking forward to seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post

This is exciting. Are properties owners (i.e. "Friedman") on board with this? Hubbard and Clark in particular have some incredible preserved stretches.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 2:47 PM
Registered

^ At this point, it seems rather a non-issue. I expect them to be able to push this through even without owner consent. The district is so strong (meets virtually all of the landmarking criteria), I don't expect there to be any way to defeat it legally. Yes, almost all of the Friedman properties are in there. I don't expect him to be on-board - I would expect him to argue that some of his stuff is "below par" or "sub-grade," not at "highest and best use," and "not historic." This will reveal a lot of true colors in the area.

Here is a link to TUP's article: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=30840 It will answer a lot of questions. Be careful with the map, however, which is not very clear and not exactly what I've seen so far.

@nomarandlee: The Crain's article mentions one of the "glaring omissions" that really ticked me off. Some others from my preliminary information: NW corner of State and Kinzie, NE corner of Wells / Hubbard, many properties west of Wells, the Reader Building and building that houses the Jazz Record Mart. Some of this has simply to do the time limitations of the Commission. Overall, it's an incredible advance for the city and they could pick up more of these later in an extension.

Another point that needs to be watched closely is which buildings are "non contributing" members of the district. A fair number of these buildings have been altered somewhat, which might be giving false hope.

By the way, I know we love to hate on Reilly, but Natarus was the chief reason this didn't happen decades ago.

@Sentinel: Is that a Door casing???

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development