HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 5:14 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
No, I thought I was providing clarity for this part of your post:

Apparently, I was unsuccessful.
Yes I understood the intention; I didn't actually think you "intended" to re-iterate what I was saying. I was pointing out that regardless of intention, your point functions as a re-iteration of what I was saying, ie, obviously I already understand that a normal individual isn't going to have much influence on their own and can't change most people's minds. I connected it to my earlier analogy to show why this isn't important in choosing one's actions since small individual actions add up and we can only be individually responsible for our small part. It was a way to make the connection explicit in case you missed it. It was meant to avoid the potential embarrassment of having someone point out that you missed an obvious connection or the frustration of having me assume you missed something when you actually hadn't.

I find in cases when I'm not sure if someone gets what I'm saying it's often helpful to simultaneously assume that they got it while subtly explicating to be certain. I instinctively put more effort into being positive or diplomatic when speaking to someone I've had disagreements with in the past to avoid that compounding onto future situations.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
News flash: Ssiguy doesn't like electric cars. Details at 11.
News flash: ssiguy has no problem with EVs. Details at 11.

If someone wants to buy an EV then knock yourself out as long as you don't get a $5000 welfare cheque to do it.

As I have stated, EVs day will come but right now the technology isn't there resulting in them being, for the masses, to expensive, too unreliable, and impractical. Proof is in the pudding. Despite having a plethora of EVs now to choose from in every vehicle category, they still only make up 11% of new vehicle purchases. Is there something that 11% knows that the rest of 89% don't.

If you disagree with me fine but I want you to tell me why they aren't selling en masse. If they are the panacea that you and others think then explain to me why they aren't the dominate form of vehicle sales or nearly all of them for that matter. That is NOT a rhetorical question but one I would like you to answer.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yes I understood the intention; I didn't actually think you "intended" to re-iterate what I was saying. I was pointing out that regardless of intention, your point functions as a re-iteration of what I was saying, ie, obviously I already understand that a normal individual isn't going to have much influence on their own and can't change most people's minds. I connected it to my earlier analogy to show why this isn't important in choosing one's actions since small individual actions add up and we can only be individually responsible for our small part. It was a way to make the connection explicit in case you missed it. It was meant to avoid the potential embarrassment of having someone point out that you missed an obvious connection or the frustration of having me assume you missed something when you actually hadn't.

I find in cases when I'm not sure if someone gets what I'm saying it's often helpful to simultaneously assume that they got it while subtly explicating to be certain. I instinctively put more effort into being positive or diplomatic when speaking to someone I've had disagreements with in the past to avoid that compounding onto future situations.
My apologies for the confusion. I had interpreted your responses as missing the point of what I was intending to communicate, which would be on me as I strive to be clear when I post (but fail achieve success at times).

All good.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:02 PM

I wonder what this might mean for VW's panned investment here?

LG Energy solution-GM Joint Venture Suspends Construction of 3 Battery Plants in U.S.
Editor Michael Herh 2024.07.22 15:55

Ultium Cells, a US joint venture between LG Energy Solution and General Motors (GM) have suspended the construction of an EV battery plant in the United States due to a temporary slowdown in global demand for electric vehicles (EVs).

According to industry sources, the two companies have decided to pause the construction of EV Battery Plant 3 in Michigan of the United States. They were building the plant with the aim of starting its operations in 2025. The completion of the third plant scheduled for the second half of this year will be pushed back to 2025 or later, some analysts forecast.

Of the five lines at the plant, only two have received some equipment. The schedule for the remaining lines has been put on hold....

https://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news...l?idxno=221668

Europe’s Biggest Electric Car Battery Maker Mulls New Products as Demand Wanes
By Konrad Krasuski
July 23, 2024 at 9:29AM EDT

(Bloomberg) -- The biggest producer of batteries for electric vehicles in Europe may branch out to build energy storage facilities for households harnessing renewable energy, amid weak demand for e-cars.

The Polish manufacturing unit of LG Energy Solution Ltd already indicated that its sales revenue from the east European country would likely drop by around a third this year to 26.5 billion zloty ($6.7 billion).

“We are considering developing LG Energy Solution Wroclaw toward energy storage,” Joanna Silska, a spokeswoman for the company in the southwestern Polish city, said by email. “Energy transformation is crucial and inevitable for European economies, therefore we’re examining the potential for investments in new manufacturing capacities.”

Europe’s EV shift has faltered due to high prices and the removal of subsidies by a number of governments. This is weighing on suppliers such as LG Energy Solution, which in 2016 announced its EV battery plant investment in Poland, with annual production capacity of 100,000 units....

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/investin...-demand-wanes/

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:43 PM

Just keeping everyone up-to-date on the activities of everyones' favourite douchebag EV mogul has been up to:

Elon Is Playing a Dangerous Game With Kamala Harris Deepfake
Posting a manipulated recording of the US presidential candidate’s voice is no joke. It will embolden others to follow suit.
July 29, 2024 at 9:21 AM PDT
By Parmy Olson

A video that Elon Musk posted on X over the weekend has the voice of Kamala Harris speaking over her first big campaign ad, describing herself damningly as “the ultimate diversity hire” who does not “know the first thing about running the country.” It’s a powerful, devastating twist on the original ad because the voice is unmistakably Harris’. But it’s been digitally manipulated, most likely by an AI tool.

X prohibits users from posting media that has been “deceptively altered” and “likely to result in widespread confusion on public issues.” But such rules apparently do not apply to Musk himself. The original poster of the video marked it as a parody and got 22,000 views. Musk made no such disclosure when he reposted the video, which has been watched more than 128 million times.1 That may make him the site’s worst spreader of misinformation....

....Musk decimated the platform’s trust and safety team when he bought the company in late 2022, initially with a 30% cut in the company’s global safety staff, according to a report from Australia's eSafety Commissioner. Whoever is left to enforce its deepfake policies probably has the toughest job in the tech industry.

Musk seems unable to grasp his responsibility as one of the world’s most powerful media owners as the US heads into a fraught election. He should spend more time mending X’s election integrity efforts or letting his CEO run the business, and less time playing games and sowing lies.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...&sref=x4rjnz06

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada