HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 6:53 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Here you go. I'm hoping we'll get to see them testing some lighting elements before the end of the year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 9:32 PM

^Thanks

These recent EarthCam snapshots are looking strangely familiar...

On another note, now that this building has started to make its mark on the skyline I feel like I can show a project I've been working on.

If this thread isn't the place for this kind of post then please don't hesitate to take this post down - I just thought I'd share.

I've been working on 3D modelling and printing some of NYC's supertalls to roughly match the scale of my LEGO Empire State Building, and my 270 park finished printing recently. It's certainly not 100% accurate (of course, neither is the LEGO ESB) but it's a decent comparison I modelled using the information available online and on the ground. I have other models on my shelf, some partially printed, and some I'm still CADing up.

P.S.: For peace of mind I made the V-shaped support columns symmetrical

Here it is next to the ESB and my model of the 432 Park Ave building and its surrounding block, all to scale with the ESB. N.B.: The width of the ESB isn't entirely accurate, and I used it's pinnacle height as a reference, but I think this still shows how much bulk 270 Park is bringing to the midtown skyline. Can't wait to see it complete!

If this forum (and particularly these P&C threads) are an appropriate place, I hope to post some more of my models here in the future!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 1:00 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Looks pretty good. A few more coming to add to that collection.

They have mentioned the slight adjusted height again, though media won't care to get it right.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Looks pretty good. A few more coming to add to that collection.
Thanks!

And absolutely! Can't wait to start work on 175 and 350 Park, but I'll definitely need some more filament.

-

Piercing the clouds tonight:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 5:58 PM
New Yorker for life

The sun does still exists. They should finish the top cladding this week. Maybe. It sometimes slows down at this point.

https://youtu.be/FNSXtKYMEZI?si=MVS8o6Fn-X16Knz9

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 10, 2024 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 6:32 PM

It does seem like progress has slowed down recently, hopefully that top cladding finishes over the coming week!

More shots:

262 Fifth Ave making an appearance here^

Source

That top event space is very visible now against the surrounding floors. I bet the views are great - but from up there, the only thing you wouldn't see is 270 Park itself...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 5:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 5:52 PM

My latest video from this morning, NYCSKYSCRAPERS2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy5ATyOL-IQ

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 10:06 PM

^Those are some great shots!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Always love the distant shots of the skyline. It puts the true scale of these giant towers on display. Some people may even think 270 is taller than Vandy.

AUGUST 11, 2024

Also love the unexpected glimpses of the towers from different angles...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Always love the distant shots of the skyline. It puts the true scale of these giant towers on display.
The view from across Jamaica Bay is one of my favs, especially during late afternoon/sunset. The Sunlight combined with the distance helps the landmark towers stand out from the rest - and its nice to see 520 Fifth standing out too!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 12:12 AM
New Yorker for life

^ The lighting will make it even more spectacular.

JMS2

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 9:55 PM

It appears that the cladding has reached full height! (At least on the East side)

Source

Sauce

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
This shot inspired me to recreate that lineup with my models since my One Vanderbilt model recently finished printing. Can't wait to see this lineup once 270 is finished...not too long now! Just imagine the lighting at night.

(Each model is spaced properly to scale, and it took a very high f-stop and a lot of trouble with the light to get some adequate photos, so please forgive the poor lighting)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 5:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Post a side by side of the Vandy, 270 models.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 7:02 PM

[I've updated the photos and made my post a little easier to follow]

Quote:
Post a side by side of the Vandy, 270 models.
Sure, here you go:

It might not look it, but the Vandy model is ever so slightly taller than 270 and 432 Park - the surface they're sat on isn't doing that fact any favors though. 270 Park really makes Vandy look skinny, but that's just because it's absolutely enormous!

I suppose now is the best time, so here's all of the 1:820 scale models I have completed so far, with some others in the works!

A few things to note:
  • The models aren't perfect, but they're good enough to sit on my shelf!
  • The base thicknesses allow me to adjust for differing height above sea level and calibrate pinnacle heights
  • Some models need some sanding work to remove seams/lifted corners
  • The floor count for One Vandy isn't remotely accurate, because I wanted to save a load of effort - floor height, and the thickness of the interstitial spaces varies as you go up the building
  • This means that the mechanical floor heights/positions also aren't accurate, a second version of this model should have those fixed and spaced properly
  • The setback heights and thicknesses for 111 W 57th aren't totally accurate, it was my first model and a second version should include fixes for those issues

Let me know if you want to see any photos/updates on my models, as I'd be happy to share them with the people who are actually interested in this stuff!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 12:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Very nice! Can't wait to see more added to that collection. 270 is truly a beast. Now if you can add 30 Hudson, just for comparison. That one is also a deceptively bulky.

The proportions of 270 Park are perfect, and I do like the symmetrical version better than the earlier version.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

borus001

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 9:11 PM

Cladding has reached the top on the E, W, and S sides. The detailing on the upper setbacks can't come sooner.

Quote:
Very nice! Can't wait to see more added to that collection. 270 is truly a beast. Now if you can add 30 Hudson, just for comparison. That one is also a deceptively bulky.
Thanks! As a matter of fact, 30 Hudson Yards will be my next model for the printer...the CAD work for it is currently ongoing - it won't be finished for a little while though, as the modelling takes up a good amount of my evenings!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 11:36 PM

The idea of the model lineups has been on my mind all day, so I decided to do a few more but with better lighting and a properly edited background. They almost look photoshopped in, but they aren't - I've once again spaced them accurately to scale....take a look:

Here's the same angle as last time, not quite aerial, not quite on the ground:

Here's an aerial shot from the other side, 270 looks like a blend of its two supertall neighbors (soon to be a few more):

And finally - the main reason for this post - this one makes me most excited for the construction elevator to go down and the lighting to be finished... because that should allow for shots like this:

Just imagine what this lineup might look like with 350 Park too^

Sorry for double post (again), I hope this post is thread appropriate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction