HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 7:36 PM

I don't think it's Marriot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
So, the first phase is a hotel which is all lined up. Does this mean there is yet another hotel interested in Peel Plaza too?

I'm guessing the Mariott would be the likely tenant for the coast guard site; maybe they're thinking of Peel Plaza if the coast guard site redevelopment fails or is delayed too long.
i have a friend in the construction business and he told me last year that the Coast Guard site hotel was Amsterdam Inn! This could have changed, but I doubt it. I never even heard of Amsterdam Inn before that. I guess there's a small one in Quispamsis, but apart from being a locally owned chain I knew nothing about them at all. I hope Mariott goes-in Peel Plaza on top of the garage. 7 floor hotel on top of the 8 floor garage is better than nothing.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 8:41 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

They have locations in Moncton, Fredericton, Quispamsis and Sussex.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 1:29 AM
Unregistered Loser

Wow...two more large hotels on the horizon in addition to the 3-4 recent ones.

Here is a pic I snapped at the garage this evening...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 2:09 AM
ハルウララ

I don't understand why Saint John Transit would need a doubledecker...and aren't there some places that a double-decker can't access around town?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
I don't understand why Saint John Transit would need a doubledecker...and aren't there some places that a double-decker can't access around town?

Um... Elaborate where you think they couldnt fit? If a transport truck can fit uptown, why couldntg a double decker? Seems like your being negative... So if your dont mind... Do you have any ideas you could tell us where you think this bus or any transport truck couldnt fit? (and please leave out the chipman hill pedway or St Patrick street pedway since we know transport trucks easilly pass under them?) Thanks..

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 12:14 PM
ハルウララ

I'm not trying to be negative at all, I love City Transit, I just don't understand why we need buses for a higher capacity of rider-ship when we have more than enough buses to do that currently.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 12:22 PM

Hotel at Coast Guard

I wouldn't be surprised if the Coast Gaurd site sees another Hotel from the Hilton family of brands. This would help the Trade and Convension Centre as an event venue (Hilton manages this space), and the Hilton would benefit from having an overflow hotel.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonPlaceorThing View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Coast Gaurd site sees another Hotel from the Hilton family of brands. This would help the Trade and Convension Centre as an event venue (Hilton manages this space), and the Hilton would benefit from having an overflow hotel.
Yeah, Thats a good theory PPoT. I stayed at Embassy Suites in Montreal not long ago and they are owned by the Hilton Family, and had condos on top of the hotel... So it does seem like a good theory....

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 8:31 PM
Unregistered Loser

From the Telegraph Journal:

East side
New subdivision moves closer

Common council moved closer Monday night to rezoning two parcels of land at 1808 Hickey Rd. on the east side to make way for a new subdivision that will include a high rise. Council unanimously approved first and second readings of the bylaw amendment Monday night after hearing from an area resident who is worried the property will be clearcut. "I don't think it's fair for people who have lived there for a number of years that everything should be just cut down and slashed away," said Barbara Burns, who has lived on nearby Grandview Avenue for 49 years. Burns asked the developer leave a buffer of trees between adjoining properties. The developer said the construction will be gradual, with 25 lots developed in the first phase, so clear-cutting shouldn't be a concern. The rezoning converts the property from one- and two-family suburban residential to one- and two -amily residential and high rise residential.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 8:42 PM
Unregistered Loser

Q-plex construction
Telegraph Journal

Cindy Wilson/Telegraph-Journal

Work crews pour cement at the site of the new recreation complex in Quispamsis - near the Gondola Point Recreation Centre - known as the Q-Plex.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 8:46 PM
Unregistered Loser

Open house on Eider Rock assessment set Sept. 9

Environment Province accepts report on environmental impact of shelved refinery

APRIL ROBINSON
TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL

SAINT JOHN - Irving Oil Ltd. has reached a milestone in the planning process for a second oil refinery - even though the company has shelved the project.

The provincial government has accepted an environmental impact assessment report for the $8-billion project, known as Eider Rock.

Irving Oil announced in July it would not proceed with the massive project because of poor market conditions.

But the company wanted to continue with the environmental impact assessment process to keep its options open to build the refinery sometime in the future, as unlikely as that might be.

Lesley MacLeod, spokeswoman for Irving Oil, said it was also important to gather community input on the proposed refinery. "It's just good to know the expectations for large projects," she said Monday.

The assessment is a key part of any significant building project that could affect the local eco-system and habitat, including that of area residents.

The public is invited to an open house on Sept. 9, where they can learn more about the assessment. Jacques Whitford Stantec Ltd., which prepared the report, and Irving Oil will host the event. It will be from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the New Brunswick Community College campus at 950 Grandview Ave.

"We remain committed to completing the environmental assessment, given the significant progress that has been made over the past two and half years," Kevin Scott, Irving Oil's commercial director of refining growth, said in a release.

The province will also host a formal public meeting on the assessment this fall as part of the environmental impact assessment process.

Irving Oil plans to host a technical workshop to discuss the environmental effects of the proposed refinery in coming weeks. Registration will begin at the Sept. 9 open house.

The public has until Dec. 4 to submit comments, then the province will issue a final decision, which could be valid for a few years, based on its discretion, MacLeod said.

The environmental impact assessment report and associated documents are available for download on the Irving Oil website at www.irvingoil.com/company/erock.asp. CD ROM versions of the documents are also available from Irving Oil upon request by calling 1-888-525-1777 or emailing eiderrock@irvingoil.com.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 8:56 PM
Unregistered Loser

Route 111 interchange upgrades being studied

September 01, 2009 - 3:48 pm
By: Todd Veinotte-News 88.9 staff

Rothesay, N.B. - A spokesperson with the Department of Transportation says the groundwork continues for upgrades to the Route 111 interchange in Rothesay.

Kim Mathisen says the department has received a consultant's report which will now by studied, with recommendations to senior management on the way.

Route 111 is off the Mackay Highway.

Mathisen talks about some potential changes.

"There's potential for such things as traffic control devices, additional lanes, signals and additional signs," Mathisen says.

The department has already committed to adding a third lane in both directions from Route 111 to Route 100 near Rothesay Avenue.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 8:58 PM
Unregistered Loser

Airport hopeful funding will come from Atlantic Gateway Program

September 01, 2009 - 10:49 am
By: Denise Barkhouse: News 88.9 Staff

SAINT JOHN, NB - Plans to improve infrastructure at the Saint John airport have been put on hold.

It turns out the airport does not qualify for Federal funding through the Building Canada Fund, because it's on government land, but that's not stopping officials at the airport from trying to make it happen.

Saint John Airport Authority President Bernie LeBlanc said there are other ways to round up the cash.

"Even if we are on Federal land, we can qualify for funding under the Atlantic Gateway Program. So from the airport and port's perspective, we are looking at that possibility." said LeBlanc.

He said each province is responsible for putting projects forward, adding many have been submitted.

LeBlanc expects the process, the province will use to choose which projects will be submitted, to begin within the next couple of weeks, and is hopeful the province will put the airport projects forward.

The money is needed to help with terminal renovations, a parking lot expansion and adding more runway lighting.

Saint John airport board Chair, Paul Doiron will join a Southern New Brunswick Gateway Council meeting later today with Minister Peter McKay.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 11:32 PM

Let me be the first to say you're looking very distinguished these days Helladog.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:08 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
Let me be the first to say you're looking very distinguished these days Helladog.
"Stay thirsty my friends"

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 10:54 PM
Unregistered Loser

What happened to this...?

I was playing with the old microfilmed newspapers at the library (yeah, I live an exciting life...) and in February 1972, there was a pretty large residential development that looks like it almost made it. As seen in the camera phone pic below, this was planned for Millidgeville. It kind of reminds me of the six mid-rise buildings on the east side, but a bit taller and all together.

Source: Saint John Library / Evening Times Globe

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 2:27 AM
ハルウララ

Kind of looks like Brentwood, but Brentwood would only be one of those buildings.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:35 PM
Unregistered Loser

Changing the sign...

Telegraph Journal

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:29 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Man, the boys at WorkSafe NB would have a field day if they saw workers on top of a 20 story tower with no tethers.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Man, the boys at WorkSafe NB would have a field day if they saw workers on top of a 20 story tower with no tethers.
Welcome to Saint John.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces