HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
So, truncated at Pearson, or just to Union?
I guess it would depend on how much demand there was for the airport. If there was a lot it might make sense to extend to the airport.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I guess it would depend on how much demand there was for the airport. If there was a lot it might make sense to extend to the airport.
I'd assume they would look at the UPX traffic.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I'd assume they would look at the UPX traffic.
I don’t think it would make sense as a way to get to the airport if you are already at union (if you’re in Amsterdam you don’t take the Thalys to the airport). If there were a lot of people heading from the East whose final destination was the airport an extension might make sense.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Hush you troll.

You know you can just scroll on by those you don't like? Kinda what I have done with you once I understood you just tow the company line.
Good to know that you have no longer blocked me and that you apparently will read it when I patiently explain how mindnumbingly dumb some of your brilliant ideas you share with us actually are…

Quote:
Neither. It makes no sense to build high speed rail to communities less than 100km from Toronto that can be well served by GO upgrades that are a fraction the cost. To the extent there is London or Windsor demand then the routing should be whatever is the most efficient route to London.
It indeed doesn’t make sense to build a HSR just to link two cities 100 km apart, but neither does ignoring a 500k CMA which happens to be half-way between Toronto and London (another CMA of 500k)…

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
It indeed doesn’t make sense to build a HSR just to link two cities 100 km apart, but neither does ignoring a 500k CMA which happens to be half-way between Toronto and London (another CMA of 500k)…
Going through Kitchener to get to London is considerably out of the way. The hypothetical straight line between Toronto and London passes between Cambridge and Branford.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Going through Kitchener to get to London is considerably out of the way. The hypothetical straight line between Toronto and London passes between Cambridge and Branford.
But there's no straight line in real life. And shortest route is not the only consideration. By this logic, HFR/HSR should skip Ottawa because apparently all that matters is connecting two endpoints.

The Ontario HSR report already looked at travel times, access into Toronto and reusing existing corridor via Kitchener, with the specific intention of connecting Pearson. There's a good case to go that way. Good luck to anybody trying to shoehorn HSR via Hamilton on an already busy Lakeshore Corridor. Especially, if GO wants to regularize Niagara Falls service with full RER, and add any branch to Brantford.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/high-speed-rail

I seriously can't believe that people here think any network designer would pass up an airport connection because of maybe 20-30 km more rural track needed.....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:55 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The problem with this idea is that nobody lives between Cambridge and Brantford and this hypothetical line doesn't get Pearson, Hamilton, OR KWC.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:16 AM

Quick and dirty Google maps:

Union to London:

Via Hamilton and Brantford: 202 km
Via Kitchener and Stratford: 220 km

This is a 9% difference. Or 5.4 mins at 200 kph HFR speeds. It's just not significant enough to be the deciding factor. Everything from ridership potential to cost and corridor access will decide this over 18 km of track difference.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The problem with this idea is that nobody lives between Cambridge and Brantford and this hypothetical line doesn't get Pearson, Hamilton, OR KWC.
High speed rail (at least how it is implemented in most places) is used to connect relatively spaced out cities. If what you want to do is provide links between closely spaced cities/suburbs then high speed rail isn’t the right tool, you are better off investing in GO.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
But there's no straight line in real life. And shortest route is not the only consideration. By this logic, HFR/HSR should skip Ottawa because apparently all that matters is connecting two endpoints.

The Ontario HSR report already looked at travel times, access into Toronto and reusing existing corridor via Kitchener, with the specific intention of connecting Pearson. There's a good case to go that way. Good luck to anybody trying to shoehorn HSR via Hamilton on an already busy Lakeshore Corridor. Especially, if GO wants to regularize Niagara Falls service with full RER, and add any branch to Brantford.

I seriously can't believe that people here think any network designer would pass up an airport connection because of maybe 20-30 km more rural track needed.....
The Ontario High Speed Rail “plan” was a highly questionable “plan” that was put together by a British consulting company on the eve of an election without bothering to visit Ontario. It shared a significant amount of track with GO and freight, with only a small high speed greenfield section between Kitchener and London and in some variations a greenfield bypass of Guelph.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:52 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

Not only that, but it isn't going through Kitchener that adds the extra distance. It's going up to connect Stratford and St. Mary's. I straighter route between Kitchener and London that bypassed those stops (like under the Wynn HSR plan) would be just as short as the southern Lakeshore route through Brantford.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Good to know that you have no longer blocked me and that you apparently will read it when I patiently explain how mindnumbingly dumb some of your brilliant ideas you share with us actually are…
So, you just move on toting the company line and insulting others on here. Good to see how dependable you are.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:33 AM

Quote:
So, you just move on toting the company line and insulting others on here. Good to see how dependable you are.
„Never let facts get in the way of your most favorite stories“ seems to be your life motto, but I left VIA two years ago and will happily acknowledge its deficiencies to those people who are capable enough to correctly identify them.

Now, why don’t you just stop compulsively disproving your own claims that you skip over my posts when you read this thread or that you created this thread for any other purpose than to perpetually steer the discussions back towards your personal fantasy or vanity projects…?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
„Never let facts get in the way of your most favorite stories“ seems to be your life motto, but I left VIA two years ago and will happily acknowledge its deficiencies to those people who are capable enough to correctly identify them.

Now, why don’t you just stop compulsively disproving your own claims that you skip over my posts when you read this thread or that you created this thread for any other purpose than to perpetually steer the discussions back towards your personal fantasy or vanity projects…?
Too bad you can't take your own advice.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:36 AM
ハルウララ

Please stop bickering and continuing on.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
High speed rail (at least how it is implemented in most places) is used to connect relatively spaced out cities. If what you want to do is provide links between closely spaced cities/suburbs then high speed rail isn’t the right tool, you are better off investing in GO.
Where are you getting this from? The endpoints are far apart in most places. But stop spacing is generally 50-100 km, with higher spacing for higher speeds. At 200 kph ( as proposed by Ontario HSR), stop spacing of 30-50 km is perfectly fine. That is a stop 9-15 mins apart. And every one of the stops suggested is an urban centre. The only one that isn't a city, is Pearson.

Quote:
The Ontario High Speed Rail “plan” was a highly questionable “plan” that was put together by a British consulting company on the eve of an election without bothering to visit Ontario. It shared a significant amount of track with GO and freight, with only a small high speed greenfield section between Kitchener and London and in some variations a greenfield bypass of Guelph.
It's a feasibility study. I don't think we'll find any other study that comes to different conclusions. It's nonsensical to skip a CMA of almost 600k en route (KWC) or the airport (which would also be beneficial for travelers from the East). The only town that could be skipped is Guelph. And that is exactly what was suggested.

As for it being a GO and freight route too, well good luck proposing a full Greenfield HSR route into Toronto. I don't even want to attempt to guess what that would cost. At least leveraging the $2-3B being spent on the Kitchener line for GO Expansion means that there's fully electrified grade separated track for a third of the proposed routing in this proposal. An example of what is involved is the 401 tunnel:

https://www.infrastructureontario.ca...1-Rail-Tunnel/

This thing alone ended up costing $200M. Greenfield alignment means building multiples of crossings like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Not only that, but it isn't going through Kitchener that adds the extra distance. It's going up to connect Stratford and St. Mary's. I straighter route between Kitchener and London that bypassed those stops (like under the Wynn HSR plan) would be just as short as the southern Lakeshore route through Brantford.
And that would cost more and take longer to construct. Which is why the idea was discarded. Reusing an existing, under-utilized corridor is pretty close to what VIA was trying HFR in the East. Only this track is straighter and has slightly more traffic.

Collenette gamed out what full HSR (350 kph) would cost. And I recall the cost was ridiculous, because it would basically require a tunnel from the airport to Union Station to maintain speed. Any dreams of a Greenfield line mean building a multi-billion dollar high speed subway tunnel or viaduct just to get out of Toronto. And then spending billions more on a new routing. Not happening. It's either we figure out how to leverage existing track and GO's electrification and grade separation investments, or we don't build this.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Mar 9, 2023 at 11:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You‘d be surprised how short most HSR lines are:

Source: UIC

Last edited by Urban_Sky; Mar 9, 2023 at 1:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:43 PM

Quote:
You‘d be surprised how short most HSR lines are:
A lot of that is counting phases of larger projects. For example 3 phases of the Rome Florence line are listed separately, but if you actually take a High Speed Train in Italy, Florence is almost always the first stop.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting this from? The endpoints are far apart in most places. But stop spacing is generally 50-100 km, with higher spacing for higher speeds. At 200 kph ( as proposed by Ontario HSR), stop spacing of 30-50 km is perfectly fine. That is a stop 9-15 mins apart. And every one of the stops suggested is an urban centre. The only one that isn't a city, is Pearson.

It's a feasibility study. I don't think we'll find any other study that comes to different conclusions. It's nonsensical to skip a CMA of almost 600k en route (KWC) or the airport (which would also be beneficial for travelers from the East). The only town that could be skipped is Guelph. And that is exactly what was suggested.
None of the marketing suggested Guelph was going to be skipped. Guelph was a swing riding for the provincial liberals.

Pearson is 25 km from Union, Guelph is 79 and Kitchener is 101 (although they are moving the station to the west, so it may be 102 or 103 in the future). Where else does a High Speed Rail line operate like this?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Pearson is 25 km from Union, Guelph is 79 and Kitchener is 101 (although they are moving the station to the west, so it may be 102 or 103 in the future). Where else does a High Speed Rail line operate like this?
Just three examples out of the top of my head:

Frankfurt-Cologne: 5 stations over 180 km (1 station every 36 km)
Tokyo-Osaka: 16 stations over 515 km (1 station every 32 km)
Tokyo-Kanazawa: 17 stations over 345 km (1 station every 20 km)

Honestly, just look at almost any HSL in China or Japan…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada