HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 3:51 AM

The bus ride out was a bit of a pain, but otherwise fun was had by all.

Frinkprof you should've said hello...I don't think we've met before? We're pretty used to having a child hanging off our arm by now.

Might as well add my photos to thread.

Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 by Thomasaurus, on Flickr

Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce by Thomasaurus, on Flickr

Porsche 928S by Thomasaurus, on Flickr

Hmm, this guy looks familiar by Thomasaurus, on Flickr

Tunnel-16 by Thomasaurus, on Flickr

T-Bird by Thomasaurus, on Flickr

Porsche 550 Spyder by Thomasaurus, on Flickr

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 5:09 AM
power to the people!

I wish I hadn't pulled a thirteen hour shift that ended at 1:00pm, because I would have gone to this. Cool to see that many exotic and unique cars there.

Would've made for a good afternoon. Sure beats spending the day discussing American hookers online in a Calgary Urban/Suburban debate thread.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 8:27 AM

http://conf.tac-atc.ca/english/annua...ion7/azita.pdf

This document shows 2 narrower lanes plus LRT. It looks like you could just about squeeze in three lanes if you abandoned most of the shoulder, but that probably wouldn't be a good idea in a tunnel.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 1:22 PM
恭喜发财!

Is it just me or is that tunnel really tall? I don't seem to recall Shanghai's river tunnels having that much clearance, but it's been quite a while since I've gone through one so I may be wrong.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 1:47 PM

It didn't seem overly tall to me. Either way, they probably wanted to make sure it was able to handle a large cross section of vehicle types. They had a digger displayed on top of a trailer, and the space above it wasn't ridiculously high or anything.

If anything, the lanes were a little narrowed than I thought they'd be, but you have a bit of a different perspective as a pedestrian as opposed to when you drive.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 6:36 PM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Is it just me or is that tunnel really tall? I don't seem to recall Shanghai's river tunnels having that much clearance, but it's been quite a while since I've gone through one so I may be wrong.
Possibly to fit LRT cars if that pipe dream ever comes to fruition.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 6:54 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Possibly to fit LRT cars if that pipe dream ever comes to fruition.
LRT cars don't need as much clearance as trucks.

The tunnel is posted with a 5.3 metre clearance.

Above that are the fans, lane control, etc. it's around 7 metres to the ceiling.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 2:40 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
No, we wouldn't be "more glad". To start with, the tunnel money is only a drop in the bucket compared to the Green Line LRT. 20 years from now - hell, 20 hours from now - once the runway is operating, the price of a tunnel goes up at least an order of magnitude. So we could have the airport tunnel, and once we come up with $3 billion build the Green Line, or we could have some preliminary earthworks done for the Green Line, and only need $2.8 billion more for it, plus $3 billion for the airport tunnel.

I'm a transit advocate, but the airport tunnel is a total no-brainer. I'm just glad that a long-term perspective was used for once.
The bit that bugs me out the tunnel is that it should have been built 20 years ago when the airport put out the original plan for the second runway and closure of Barlow. Instead we wait till the 11th hour and have to pull money from other projects, when that money could have been put aside years ago.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 2:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Surprised not to see Bigtime there.
We were kid free on Saturday, took full advantage of it.

I did drive through it yesterday morning though, pretty cool.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
The bit that bugs me out the tunnel is that it should have been built 20 years ago when the airport put out the original plan for the second runway and closure of Barlow. Instead we wait till the 11th hour and have to pull money from other projects, when that money could have been put aside years ago.
Money wasn't pulled from current other projects, only from the post 2017 provincial funding envelope. The money was borrowed.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:43 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Money wasn't pulled from current other projects, only from the post 2017 provincial funding envelope. The money was borrowed.
So it was pulled from projects that would have been funded by the post 2017 funding, whatever they may be. My point is that the delays in planning, caused a shuffling of priorities, something that should have been done 20 years ago.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 4:20 PM

^ then we would have had to pull money from projects that are already done today! It makes little difference in the end.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
What we should have done is kept the airport terminal building where it was 50 years ago at the south side of the airport lands, and save everyone 4 km/trip over the past half century.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:56 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
What we should have done is kept the airport terminal building where it was 50 years ago at the south side of the airport lands, and save everyone 4 km/trip over the past half century.
I do believe even when the new terminal was planned they knew there would someday be the parallel runway, thus moving the terminal north to make operations easier when that day came.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:58 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
and, now, with the runway opening, a south end terminal would be a lousy place (in terms of taxiing distance) to have it.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 6:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
and, now, with the runway opening, a south end terminal would be a lousy place (in terms of taxiing distance) to have it.
Absolutely. You see this poor planning at a lot of airports, where you spend 15-20 minutes taxiing everytime. I'm extremely happy YYC made the right choice.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 6:26 PM
power to the people!

I'm for one glad there was enough foresight to move the terminal north to allow for growth. Imagine how much more of a clusterfuck that Deerfoot/McKnight/12th area would be if it had stayed.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:00 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the "fancy" crosswalk painting that the city is undertaking in parts of the city. They are painted in a terracotta and sandstone colour and feature a design that looks like stamped concrete. I can't seem to find a picture of one in Calgary but the image I have posted below is closest to it.

They look great, but I can only imagine the cost associated with them. They have been actively used on the crosswalks around the West LRT. My biggest issue is that they didn't weather the winter very well. In many locations it's all but gone. Additionally, i watch a crew go about putting in one of these crosswalks. It's a multi-step process that takes the better part of a day to complete half of a crosswalk.

I am all for beautifying our urban spaces but this doesn't really do so efficiently. Additionally, the impact on the safety of pedestrians, in terms of visibility is marginal at best.

Credit: Urban Spaces and Place Blog

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:06 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but I noticed that with the road construction being done on 14st SW, one can see the old streetcar rail ties.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but I noticed that with the road construction being done on 14st SW, one can see the old streetcar rail ties.
Awesome - any chance someone has some photos?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure