HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Because the union takes a portion of your wages and what is given in return would be a pittance at such a low revenue business? Juice probably isn't worth the squeeze.

I think Starbucks is a completely different animal (but ironically provides the most benefits). Not commenting on whether Starbucks should be unionized or not, just that if you were going to do it, that would be the place. To think you should or would unionize a small single location or multi-location chain is absurd IMO.
Thanks, yeah that makes sense.

Sounds like Union 80 was directly involved in the OCF push. Their track record has been kinda bad so far - Korshak’s closed, Good Karma decertified and now this. Ultimo unionized a few months ago and that process was pretty chaotic. Wouldn’t be surprised if the owners are now reluctant to open a new location anytime soon.

I agree, unionization might make sense when you’re dealing with massive corporations like Starbucks where it’s difficult to meet with executives, but for the most part it seems like most local cafe owners are fairly involved with their staff.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 7:36 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Thanks, yeah that makes sense.

Sounds like Union 80 was directly involved in the OCF push. Their track record has been kinda bad so far - Korshak’s closed, Good Karma decertified and now this. Ultimo unionized a few months ago and that process was pretty chaotic. Wouldn’t be surprised if the owners are now reluctant to open a new location anytime soon.

I agree, unionization might make sense when you’re dealing with massive corporations like Starbucks where it’s difficult to meet with executives, but for the most part it seems like most local cafe owners are fairly involved with their staff.
Only two of the four Ultimo shops are unionized now, following a move by workers at two locations to decertify.

Two Ultimo coffee shops withdraw from barista union | Inquirer
by Jenn Ladd
Published Jan. 19, 2024, 12:43 p.m. ET

Two of four Ultimo coffee shops are no longer unionized this week, after workers at the Germantown and Graduate Hospital cafes filed petitions to vote on decertification. Before any votes took place, the Philadelphia Joint Board Workers United filed respective disclaimers of interest, effectively ending union representation at both shops.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
I live right off of Ridge in the area and I agree. There are some decent businesses in some of the new spots so far, especially the recently opened Our Town Taproom, but there is so much potential for more. Between 16th and 17th there is so much room for nice places, but instead we are getting our THIRD vape shop on the block. I understand why investors are hesitant, but man I think if you could establish a decent bar or restaurant here you'd be set in a couple years. I think Ridge between Broad and Girard will be like modern-day Frankford Ave in 10 years.
I think the issue on Ridge is less about all the new spaces and more about the quality of the spaces. IMO, Francisville made the same mistakes NoLibs made in its first big push of development on 2nd Street. Namely, in an effort to reduce the size of buildings, NoLibs inadvertantly caused developers to build buildings with really undesireable commercial spaces. Specifically, in this day and age, no destination restaurant wants a dinky little space with 10 or even 12 foot ceilings. In an effort to keep buildings at 38 or 42 feet, developers in NoLibs built a bunch of buildings with very low ceilings on the first floor. Penny wise and pound foolish. To this day, many of those first generation commercial spaces sit empty at worse, or are very difficult to lease at best.

The new generation of new construction in Northern Liberties has very high ceilings on the first floor so shouldn't suffer the same fate, but it seems to be a common but misplaced reaction in new developments to assuage neighbors in newly hot areas.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:32 AM

Next phase of rail park is underway. Excited to see it moving forward finally. The connection to the Chinatown cap makes a ton of sense but I hope the final product is a little more inspired.
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ern-extension/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Next phase of rail park is underway. Excited to see it moving forward finally. The connection to the Chinatown cap makes a ton of sense but I hope the final product is a little more inspired.
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ern-extension/

Great to see, but the fact that we can’t get a road diet on vine street is such an embodiment of Philadelphia. It’s literally 12 travel lanes. Absolutely bonkers.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
The Fairview is gone? I used to love that place! That was the first restaurant me and my wife (then girlfriend) dined at once the restaurants began operating at 25% indoor capacity during the pandemic.

Fairmount definitely needs more food options. I thought that the neighborhood would have more options once the large developments along Ridge Avenue wrapped up, but that hasn't really happened. Fairmount Avenue from Broad to 17th, specifically the south side, could use a lot of new development. Fairmount Ave's energy drops off noticeably when travelling east of 17th Street. A more concerted effort to lure restaurants and other businesses to the Ridge Ave corridor should also materialize.
There needs to be a wine bar in Fairmount. It's crazy to me there's not. It's a pretty high income area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 11:28 AM

Are the rail park expansion and 76 cap funded? I thought the rail had stalled…good if it’s moving now.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Are the rail park expansion and 76 cap funded? I thought the rail had stalled…good if it’s moving now.
It is not funded. Various funding sources are being pursued (state and federal grants). More pressingly, the ownership issues have never been resolved (the city has never been able to actually take back the land/structure from the Reading Company). So these renderings are intended to gather public input and generate support and to allow the project to advance in design and engineering while on a parallel track those itsy bitsy little issues of not controlling the property nor having the money to pay for its improvement are worked on. I don't say this to suggest that it isn't an achievable outcome, just to remind folks that renderings being released for something doesn't mean there's money to make the thing in that rendering. It means there's enough money to pay a designer to draw said rendering.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
You better hope the Chinatown Association doesn't hear about this. Can you imagine the amount of gentrification this would usher in. They better put an end to this at all costs if they want to continue exist.

I'm putting together a new group... Chinatown Residents Against the Park (CRAP). Stand by for meeting details....

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:56 PM

delete

Last edited by jaysb; Jun 12, 2024 at 2:56 PM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
It is not funded. Various funding sources are being pursued (state and federal grants). More pressingly, the ownership issues have never been resolved (the city has never been able to actually take back the land/structure from the Reading Company). So these renderings are intended to gather public input and generate support and to allow the project to advance in design and engineering while on a parallel track those itsy bitsy little issues of not controlling the property nor having the money to pay for its improvement are worked on. I don't say this to suggest that it isn't an achievable outcome, just to remind folks that renderings being released for something doesn't mean there's money to make the thing in that rendering. It means there's enough money to pay a designer to draw said rendering.
You can't emminent domain a railroad, which I am sure is Reading Co's legal defense here. It's a shame, because I'd much rather this portion of the park be done than the Callowhill Cut (which has immense potential for transit).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
You can't emminent domain a railroad, which I am sure is Reading Co's legal defense here. It's a shame, because I'd much rather this portion of the park be done than the Callowhill Cut (which has immense potential for transit).
Funny you mention the Callowhill Cut and the opportunity that lies there because I think about that every day when I walk home from work. It would be perfect for a light rail. I'm not sure if it could get under Broad St but if it could it could even be a great opportunity for a new subway line or something. I'd love to see a map of the space that isn't used because I know it goes under like 21st or 22nd but have no clue where it goes from there.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:11 PM

;

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Funny you mention the Callowhill Cut and the opportunity that lies there because I think about that every day when I walk home from work. It would be perfect for a light rail. I'm not sure if it could get under Broad St but if it could it could even be a great opportunity for a new subway line or something. I'd love to see a map of the space that isn't used because I know it goes under like 21st or 22nd but have no clue where it goes from there.
I think it's a lost opportunity because there is a condo building structure on top of it next to the Roden Museum.
I always thought that building a light rail loop that goes through the cut, connects to Columbus blvd, goes to Washington ave, and goes along the Schuylkill River would get great, but most people think it won't be used as much.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuryphilly View Post
I think it's a lost opportunity because there is a condo building structure on top of it next to the Roden Museum.
I always thought that building a light rail loop that goes through the cut, connects to Columbus blvd, goes to Washington ave, and goes along the Schuylkill River would get great, but most people think it won't be used as much.
The condo mostly left the cut intact.

If I were to use it for transit, I'd reroute the Ridge Spur to run from 8th and Market, but then turn west on Noble Street and run into the Cut. That way, you'd have a bespoke subway trunk running from the Art Museum/Brewerytown to 8th and Market, with stops at 19th and Broad (where you could transfer to the BSL). There's also big potential there to one day extend it up 29th or 33rd.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
I listened to a good series called City on the Rails, mostly about Hobo life but also gave a good history of the railroad industry in the US. It's pretty insane the rights and protections granted to these RR companies. A real shame the city can't reclaim this land and put it to productive, value-added use.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
This is such an important distinction, and one of which most casual observers are unaware.

I've gradually lost faith in the Rail Park's ability to expand beyond its current footprint. Chiefly because Reading Company tends to sit on its holdings with a vice-like grip absent a huge influx of influence and cash that the Rail Park just does not have. But also because the park churns through executive leadership and seems to struggle to maintain its tiny plot. Remember the access stairs that were going to be installed at 13th Street? Or the welcome center at Broad and Noble? Apparently, neither does the Rail Park.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Is reading international technically a railroad though? They advertise as a entertainment and real estate company. Also the land is not even viable as a railroad anymore.

Anyone have any idea whether the schulkill river trail extension to grays ferry crescent is ahead of schedule? Seems like the boardwalk is pretty much done and the cables just need to be installed on the support pillars. Would be great if that opened sooner than expected since the bridge to Bartram's is also supposed to be installed soon.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:35 PM

I would hope that the Rail Park releasing phase 2 renderings means that Paul Levy was able to help with gaining control of that portion? I don't see the point in them releasing this without any ownership of the land. Sadly the handsome former reading building at 9th and Spring Garden was not saved before Reading demolished it.

I also want to join in that the cut should not be a fucking park. Obviously it should be a bus line, light rail or heavy rail. Mcgrath made an interesting point about using Broad Ridge Spur to connect to it. I thought the new police headquarters filled the tunnel between 15th and Broad? I recall it being a recycled glass fill but I can't remember where I saw that?

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230815.html

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
I would hope that the Rail Park releasing phase 2 renderings means that Paul Levy was able to help with gaining control of that portion? I don't see the point in them releasing this without any ownership of the land. Sadly the handsome former reading building at 9th and Spring Garden was not saved before Reading demolished it.

I also want to join in that the cut should not be a fucking park. Obviously it should be a bus line, light rail or heavy rail. Mcgrath made an interesting point about using Broad Ridge Spur to connect to it. I thought the new police headquarters filled the tunnel between 15th and Broad? I recall it being a recycled glass fill but I can't remember where I saw that?

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230815.html
The only other obstruction in the cut besides the apartment building is a parking garage at 15th and Callowhill. Other than that it is still unobstructed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development