HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Even if we forget about that, we will soon be to the point where about half of people in NS live in the Halifax area. Already about 2/3 of people in NS who live within an hour or so of Halifax (mostly Lunenburg, Kings, and Hants) and could easily visit something like a stadium. In other words, it makes perfect sense for a large proportion of provincial money to be spent in Halifax because that's where the people are.
There are 52 provincial electoral districts in Nova Scotia with which the government is concerned.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:50 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
There are 52 provincial electoral districts in Nova Scotia with which the government is concerned.
Since the NDP have 31/52, if they lose 5 then they no longer have a majority. Ignoring their supporters in the Halifax area will be an unwise decision (but that is ok with me, I think that the NDP are bad for business in the province).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
Salty Town

It shocks me that anyone voted for the NPD. The populace was suckered by an inexperienced group of merrymen. Robin Hood politics has done great damage to this province and will bankrupt us unless the NDP is soundly ousted.

It is business that makes this province tick and not a John Buchanan style politics. The NDP's biggest claim to fame is leaching off the shipyard contract and providing handouts to dying industry. Business that works gets ignored and the biggest business of all (Halifax) gets a slap in the face.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
It shocks me that anyone voted for the NPD. The populace was suckered by an inexperienced group of merrymen. Robin Hood politics has done great damage to this province and will bankrupt us unless the NDP is soundly ousted.

It is business that makes this province tick and not a John Buchanan style politics. The NDP's biggest claim to fame is leaching off the shipyard contract and providing handouts to dying industry. Business that works gets ignored and the biggest business of all (Halifax) gets a slap in the face.
Neither of the other two parties offered a viable alternative. The NDP were the govt pro-tem for most of the Rodney years and used their power to drive up spending while making the Cons look bad, not that it was hard to do that. While they have done a better job of administering the provincial finances than I expected, their priorities are totally screwed up when it does come to spending money and they have shown a surprising tendency to play pork-barrel politics. Sadly, they will not be ousted in the foreseeable future until the other two parties get new leaders and new blood.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hopefully Optimistic

Quote:
How about the sands of salter.

This:

Was turned into this:

And a stadium will be built again here this summer. If the weather is decent enough for beach volleyball than it shouldn't be a problem for football (especially since football takes place during the good weather months).

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/hal...at-salter.html
http://sandjamhalifax.ca/index.htm

How about this beauty on our waterfront?

http://inhabitat.com/files/hmstadium2.jpg

http://inhabitat.com/files/aerial2.jpg

http://inhabitat.com/files/hmstadium1.jpg

http://inhabitat.com/files/stad-interior.jpg

Website: http://inhabitat.com/herzog-and-de-m...mouth-stadium/
I really like the look of this! Seems like a great location to me. It's close to the Westin, right? I'm not as familiar with the city having only lived there for a year... But it seems great to me!

Quote:
This may be why the provincial government said no. A strong narrative exists outside of HRM that "Halifax gets too much."

Essentially, after Halifax received the 'gift' that is the shipbuilding contract, after the 'gift' that is federal funding for a convention centre, if we also received a stadium then rural Nova Scotia would look at every crack in their under-used roads with increasing bitterness. Rural Nova Scotia wants new hospitals, new schools, new public offices, new parks....

The fact that Halifax is more capable of generating a return on investments doesn't phase the townies.
I find posts like that incredibly frustrating. Not all "townies" think like this. I am a rural Nova Scotian who believes that the way forward for both the city and the province is a stadium. I mean last I checked, it's not going to bar anyone who doesn't actually live in the city from using it. While it may consistantly used by Haligonians, it *will* also be used for events (whether games, concerts, etc) by Haligonians, non-haligonian, tourists... I don't mean to harp on you or anything, I'm just asking people not to paint everyone who lives outside the city with the same brush.

Quote:
we will soon be to the point where about half of people in NS live in the Halifax area. Already about 2/3 of people in NS who live within an hour or so of Halifax (mostly Lunenburg, Kings, and Hants) and could easily visit something like a stadium. In other words, it makes perfect sense for a large proportion of provincial money to be spent in Halifax because that's where the people are.
exactly!

To be quite honest, I was worried the ball might be dropped (no pun intended) on a stadium after the Fifa thing didn't work out. But if this forum and the people on it are anything to judge, I don't think we have anything to worry about. This forum is still quite active, and there's lots of progressive people with vision on here. I just wish that some of you were on city counsel, and/or were sitting MLAs...

I think the key thing forward is to toss pretty much all current counsellors/MLAs...probably even MPs in NS...and get in a whole new group of people of people with a progressive vision of what the province is, and what it can be. If people had the vision needed, a stadium would be a no-brainer-something not held back because idiologies are a bit different from time to time...

Highway to Halifax: Lets bring AC DC to the city---https://www.facebook.com/highwaytohalifax

Last edited by HighVoltageRock; Apr 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Since the NDP have 31/52, if they lose 5 then they no longer have a majority. Ignoring their supporters in the Halifax area will be an unwise decision (but that is ok with me, I think that the NDP are bad for business in the province).
Dexter has publicly made himself appear as though he was a warrior for Halifax, lobbying for the shipbuilding contract. I don't think that HRM will vote against him for holding out on funding for a stadium that wasn't seen as necessary by the majority of people actually living in this city.

Yes, of course we want a stadium -- but the shipbuilding prize is enough to satisfy Halifax as the NDP works on solidifying votes in rural Nova Scotia.

All parties have shown themselves to be bad for business in some aspect. You cannot please everyone.

As Nova Scotians continue to urbanise out of necessity, Halifax and the larger towns -- Truro, Amherst, Yarmouth, etc.-- will have more say over their own finances.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:48 PM

One Question

I plan to ask every candidate in every election what they plan to do about a stadium.
I also plan to let them know they will not get my vote without a commitment to a CFL size stadium.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltageRock View Post
Not all "townies" think like this. I am a rural Nova Scotian who believes that the way forward for both the city and the province is a stadium. I mean last I checked, it's not going to bar anyone who doesn't actually live in the city from using it. While it may consistantly used by Haligonians, it *will* also be used for events (whether games, concerts, etc)...
Of course not all townies are opposed to a stadium; there is a minority in support, of which you are. The vast majority of people living in rural Nova Scotia think Halifax gets too much -- and you know that this is accurate.

And yes, stadiums are typically used for events...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:56 PM
Hopefully Optimistic

just to clarify...

I meant that for the day-to-day, it may be just used by Haligonians, but for events everyone will be using it...

Highway to Halifax: Lets bring AC DC to the city---https://www.facebook.com/highwaytohalifax

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I meant that for the day-to-day, it may be just used by Haligonians, but for events everyone will be using it...
Everyone is welcome to pay for tickets

Having a stadium downtown, perhaps on or near the waterfront, could attract some business from tourists via cruise ships.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:15 PM
Hopefully Optimistic

Quote:
Everyone is welcome to pay for tickets

Having a stadium downtown, perhaps on or near the waterfront, could attract some business from tourists via cruise ships.
I guess I should have used the word "primarily"... anyway...

I do like the idea of it being near the waterfront. Which is why Shannon Park (I think thats what I am thinking of...), with some highrises and all that, which has been mentioned as an ideal before, sounds great to me.

Downtown is OK as long as noise bylaws don't interfear with the ability for it to be used for events...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Of course not all townies are opposed to a stadium; there is a minority in support, of which you are. The vast majority of people living in rural Nova Scotia think Halifax gets too much -- and you know that this is accurate.
I wonder how true that is, given how the media love to find "squeaky wheel" complainers for every story. Like I said, a stadium in Halifax would be well-located for a large percentage of the province's population. It doesn't really make sense for somebody in Truro to be upset about a stadium being built 1 hour away that they can visit easily.

For convincing the rest of the province, I don't think it makes sense to focus on the "economic engine" argument. I think a more convincing argument is that something like a stadium or the convention centre is directly beneficial to the whole province, and for a lot of infrastructure like that there's no real alternative to putting it in Halifax because you need the transportation connections, local population, hotels, etc. It isn't really the "Halifax vs. Pictou" situation it is portrayed as sometimes in the media. I think we get that angle a lot because it makes for more dramatic articles, not because it is the best representation of reality.

The supposed Halifax-Moncton competition is very similar. The regional economy is not a zero-sum game where if one city gains another nearby must lose; with the shipyard contract, everybody in the region wins. Growth in Halifax is a big positive for Moncton because it means that Moncton businesses have a big market nearby they can cater to, and possibly some better regional amenities than they would otherwise have. The same thing goes for a place like PEI. If Halifax were three times as large it would be great for PEI because they would get more tourism and would have a bigger, wealthier regional market for their products.

Even the sense that Halifax is "sucking up" young people from the rural areas is wrong. A huge component of Halifax's growth is immigration, and a large percentage of rural people move out of the region to Alberta. If those people end up finding jobs in Halifax instead of moving to Alberta then the Maritimes end up much better off.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:26 PM
Hopefully Optimistic

a tiny bit off topic...

Someone on the "Highway to Halifax" page said that Halifax doesn't need a Stadium because, and I quote here: THe need for a Stadium is absolutely NIL in the HRM simply because people in HRM don't support shows like they do in Moncton.... I'm guessing that this person doesn't get the point of the page...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Someone on the "Highway to Halifax" page said that Halifax doesn't need a Stadium because, and I quote here: THe need for a Stadium is absolutely NIL in the HRM simply because people in HRM don't support shows like they do in Moncton.... I'm guessing that this person doesn't get the point of the page...
I wouldn't take that person too seriously. I found the facebook page that you were referring to - http://www.facebook.com/highwaytohalifax . The person that made the comment, "Paul Taylor", also goes by other usernames such as "The Shadow Knows" (he has posted on here also - I think he was banned?). He seems to be making it his mission to stop a stadium in Halifax. His avatar is him jumping with outstretched arms (like a bird, perhaps the KoKo variety) in a stadium .

About a year ago I drew a 3D SketchUp model of a fantasy stadium for Halifax, which I posted 2D images of - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...74940&page=143

A couple of days ago, I did a quick animation which I uploaded to YouTube - http://youtu.be/f_QgsoQ_FK8 (this is a different stadium animation than the one that I posted previously)

Video Link

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The supposed Halifax-Moncton competition is very similar. The regional economy is not a zero-sum game where if one city gains another nearby must lose; with the shipyard contract, everybody in the region wins. Growth in Halifax is a big positive for Moncton because it means that Moncton businesses have a big market nearby they can cater to.
And conversely something good for Moncton might in fact also be good for Halifax. It works both ways. It isn't a one way street.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's great! And you did this in your spare time?? Good work, Fenwick!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And conversely something good for Moncton might in fact also be good for Halifax. It works both ways. It isn't a one way street.
Please tell the Times&Transcript this!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
BANNED

I Love Halifax, last post!

Smart post and right on! It's rewarding to see someone finally gets it!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hopefully Optimistic

Quote:
I wouldn't take that person too seriously. I found the facebook page that you were referring to - http://www.facebook.com/highwaytohalifax . The person that made the comment, "Paul Taylor", also goes by other usernames such as "The Shadow Knows" (he has posted on here also - I think he was banned?). He seems to be making it his mission to stop a stadium in Halifax. His avatar is him jumping with outstretched arms (like a bird, perhaps the KoKo variety) in a stadium .

About a year ago I drew a 3D SketchUp model of a fantasy stadium for Halifax, which I posted 2D images of - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...74940&page=143

A couple of days ago, I did a quick animation which I uploaded to YouTube - http://youtu.be/f_QgsoQ_FK8 (this is a different stadium animation than the one that I posted previously)

Video Link
I wasn't aware of this person's history... Thanks for letting me know. I think people like that are frustrating to deal with...

anyway...

I love the stadium design Fenwick! Even the *idea* is exciting... But if the right people had that kind of vision, and actually moved forwards on the project until it got built? I can't begin to describe how excited, how proud I would be! How many people do you think this would seat, especially since we are no longer under Fifa contraints?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I love the stadium design Fenwick! Even the *idea* is exciting... But if the right people had that kind of vision, and actually moved forwards on the project until it got built? I can't begin to describe how excited, how proud I would be! How many people do you think this would seat, especially since we are no longer under Fifa contraints?
I was having some fun with various layouts. The one in the video is 25,000 seats expandable to 42,000. I gave more details when I drew it and posted 2D images on this forum about a year ago - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...74940&page=143. I did the animation a few days ago. It shows what can be done with 3D computer modelling programs such as Sketchup (this is a very user-friendly version of CAD 3D modelling software programs; SketchUp has similarities to such engineering programs as SolidWorks, Inventor, and Solid Edge)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment