HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:36 PM
Chris

Mentioning politics because of the election.
A Progressive takeover is a rather scary prospect, and the article reads like a cult narrative (not surprising from the Inquirer)... I remain hopeful that sane politics will prevail.

Philly progressives are building a new political machine. 2023 will test it.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philly...-20230228.html

Over the past six years, progressives in Philadelphia have scored a series of victories that have shaken the city’s political scene, and this year, they’re looking for their biggest win yet: the mayor’s office.

Some of the same groups and organizers that helped the likes of District Attorney Larry Krasner stun the establishment are pinning their 2023 hopes on former Councilmember Helen Gym, hoping to also lift progressive City Council candidates to office.

”If we win, she will be one of the most progressive mayors in the country,” said Steph Drain, Philadelphia political director of the labor-aligned Working Families Party. “It would be historic for the left nationally.”

The ascendant left has proved it’s organized. The question is whether it can overcome increasing pushback.

“This is an opportunity for us to vote in a true progressive,” he said. “If we win the mayor, it will be the hugest win we’ve seen since Larry Krasner.”

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:44 PM

Anna Orso is incredibly bias in every article she writes. "Labor-aligned" is the exact opposite of what Helen Gym's policies are. Try non-profit aligned. Orso literally is just a mouthpiece for the far left.

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Feb 28, 2023 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:47 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Even as a lover of public parks and spaces and capping, this still strikes me as a bit of a waste of a lot of space.
What do you mean? It's a man-made park and intrinsically it's open space.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Agreed. It's baffling to me someone could suggest that it's a bad use of space when right now it's... a highway lol..

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Even as a lover of public parks and spaces and capping, this still strikes me as a bit of a waste of a lot of space.
What's not to like? Year round programing with tons of different uses for the park. It has to be the biggest civic project in Philadelphia since the commuter rail tunnel right? My only complaint would be that the cap should extend from Walnut to Dock Street where the Korean war memorial is already capped over 95 but it's still such a transformative project. I assume the grades were too different?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:28 PM

Quote:
This may be the craziest take I've ever seen here... and that's really saying something.

I am so excited for this project.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:44 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Agreed. It's baffling to me someone could suggest that it's a bad use of space when right now it's... a highway lol..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
What's not to like? Year round programing with tons of different uses for the park. It has to be the biggest civic project in Philadelphia since the commuter rail tunnel right? My only complaint would be that the cap should extend from Walnut to Dock Street where the Korean war memorial is already capped over 95 but it's still such a transformative project. I assume the grades were too different?

I am not saying don't do it, I am saying why does all of it need to be a park and greenspace? I feel as if you could scale the park part down a bit and use the rest of the space for real estate or something more "useful". Taking CC into account there is not a desperate need for a large swath of park/greenspace and this chunk in the middle of what is around it seems disconnected and even a bit out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
This may be the craziest take I've ever seen here... and that's really saying something.
Yeah sure, okay

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
I am not saying don't do it, I am saying why does all of it need to be a park and greenspace? I feel as if you could scale the park part down a bit and use the rest of the space for real estate or something more "useful". Taking CC into account there is not a desperate need for a large swath of park/greenspace and this chunk in the middle of what is around it seems disconnected and even a bit out of place.
I agree in the sense that it's kind of out of the way (imo). Capping 676 would do SO much more for transforming the city, and also would give green space to areas that actually don't have any.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah sure, okay
Yeah, I’ve been thinking the same thing and understand where you’re coming from. The cap feels like it’s blanketing the entire area in a rambling greenspace and a potion of Delaware Ave will become some kind of tunnel. I’m fine with capping I-95, but I think it’s a missed opportunity to activate Delaware Ave for useful development. In fact, it’ll likely make it less pedestrian friendly. Instead of capping over Delaware Ave, I would have like to have seen more investment in capping over other parts of I-95.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Feb 28, 2023 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:31 PM

So pumped the I-95 cap is happening! Can't wait for it to be complete. This will easily expedite the redevelopment of the rest of Penn's Landing and points north into a Waterfront Philadelphia can be proud of.

I-676 cap is next. Let's do it!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
It looks like there is some construction activity in that empty lot by Waterfront Square: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpLJ7...YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

I believe it's this project?

Permit: https://li.phila.gov/Property-Histor...CP-2021-006675

It's sort of unrelated but I could never believe that Waterfront Square never finished their project or attempted to make the entrance more appealing. I am aware on 3 of 5 buildings were built but they left the ugly dirt lot at the entrance.
Nice! More development along the Waterfront. Love it.

Waterfront Square will eventually be completed, but not with the additional two towers. It will likely be a 7-8 story building.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:40 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I agree in the sense that it's kind of out of the way (imo). Capping 676 would do SO much more for transforming the city, and also would give green space to areas that actually don't have any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Yeah, I’ve been thinking the same thing and understand where you’re coming from. The cap feels like it’s blanketing the entire area in a rambling greenspace and a potion of Delaware Ave will become some kind of tunnel. I’m fine with capping I-95, but I think it’s a missed opportunity to activate Delaware Ave for useful development. In fact, it’ll likely make it less pedestrian friendly. Instead of capping over Delaware Ave, I would have like to have seen more investment in capping over other parts of I-95.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:46 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The park is of good scale and it is not really disconnected. It will be a central asset to the Waterfront along with all the programming along the waterfront throughout the year. Having a proper park next to Delaware River will be awesome and will be a main piece on the River Trail. The park's entrance will be on Front Street and access is also from the waterfront along the walking path along the river. There's also been lots of residential development over the years in Old City and surrounding neighborhoods and there's definitely a need for a park there. People living in that area will certainly use it. And if you look at the rendering posted above, it shows a possibility for future growth with the multiple high-rises and mid-rises. So, I don't think we are just looking at it today but well into its future growth. Consequently, other developments will further get spurred as a result of this project. There's plenty of land left for future development so I wouldn't get too hung up on this park project's size or function.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:47 PM

March CDR Submissions

1818 N. 53rd Street
-Located in Wynnefield
-4 floors in total
-98 residential units plus a ground floor commercial/retail space
PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20230221...7-2023-CDR.pdf

225 N. 13th Street
-Located in Chinatown
-7-floors in total
-81 short term rentals and ground floor commercial/retail
PDF:

4151 Lancaster Avenue
-Located in Belmont
-5 floors in totl
-50 residential units plus ground floor commercial/retail
PDF:

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:48 PM

14 Homes for Historic Temple Beth Israel Site in Strawberry Mansion

Current site:

Project rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...wberry-mansion

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:52 PM
Creative Ambitions

Delete

Last edited by TonyTone; Feb 28, 2023 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:53 PM

An Overbuild Brings 50 Units Near N. Broad & Germantown

Quote:
However, for the property at 3901-05 Germantown Ave., just northwest of the busy intersection at Broad, Germantown, and Erie, there are plans at a scale we rarely see around here.

Currently a one-story structure that was once home to an auto service company, there are plans to create some additional density to this IRMX-zoned property.

There’s plenty of gorgeous historic architecture in the vincinity, but the building in question is far from a stunner. We are pleased to share that zoning permits were just issued for a three-story addition to the existing structure, which will feature 50 units on those new upper floors. Two large commercial spaces will be located on the southern portion of the trapezoidal site, creating a more activated experience for folks walking near this busy area. Parking for 17 cars and 15 bicycles will be accessed via a one-way enclosed garage, with entry on Pike St. to the south and an exit out onto Nice St. to the east. The look from S2 Design, while we have few details, appears to be a contemporary, geometric pattern which uses window bays for additional depth.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...oad-germantown

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:56 PM
Creative Ambitions

Delete

Last edited by TonyTone; Feb 28, 2023 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:56 PM

Quote:
^
There's plenty of land left for future development so I wouldn't get too hung up on this park project's size or function.
I think my main concern is that it’ll turn part of Delaware Ave into a tunnel. IMO, extending the concept of the Korean Memorial cap, which incorporates the avenue instead of burying it, would have made for a cleaner and more elegant plan.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 5:01 PM

A Wynnefield Proposal Offers 98 Tastefully Designed Units

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...designed-units

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development