HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

One Burrard Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Please excuse my mistake. I was tired. I really meant the second tallest tower, which appears to have an abundance of latticework to be painted a yelowwish green color. Got my bearings mixed up is all. Excuse me
No problem! I had to go check, as I live on that corner and was a bit concerned.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 9:30 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:18 AM

BIV confirmss that Reliance Holdings is planning a 28 storey residential tower at Hornby & Davie (7-Eleven site) - not part of Burrard Gateway.

http://www.biv.com/article/20130930/...elopment-booms

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:18 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Good news folks, things are progressing and this one will be going to council next week and should be referred to a public hearing before year end. Here are the details....

http://former.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/...cuments/p3.pdf

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:29 AM

Thanks.

Good to see that the taller tower has 2 banks of 3 elevators - a high-rise bank and a low-rise bank.

Looking at the plans previously posted by JLousa, they've reconfigured the elevator banks in the taller tower.
The highrise bank still has 3 elevators, but a former bank of 4 elevators with 4 for lowrise and 2 continuing into the midrise
are now 3 elevators for both the lowrise and midrise (and the highrise bank may also access the lowrise as well)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=363
(add "former." to links)

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 14, 2013 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Davie Tower?

It doesn't look like any of the project will be fronting Davie.
My barber was located in CD-1 block in this pic. Guess this explains why they closed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:44 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Surprised this isn't getting more discussion considering it will be one of the tallest building downtown and certainly one of the most prominent given it's location.
I'm looking forward to this one even more then Trump Tower to be honest, the developer did such a great job at West Pender Place and the Beatty St office building is turning out to be pretty impressive too that I have high hopes here.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:45 PM
ARTchitecture

Has it been approved? Does it look like construction will begin soon?

This project is extremely under the radar, but I have also been very excited about it since it was proposed back when I lived in Vancouver.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Has it been approved? Does it look like construction will begin soon?

This project is extremely under the radar, but I have also been very excited about it since it was proposed back when I lived in Vancouver.
See above. Goes to public hearing next week which is effectively the final approval. Permits could be secured by early next year and it could go to demo from there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:14 PM
Reason and Freedom

I wonder why the southwest corner of Hornby and Drake is not a part of this project, since it was reported some time ago that the developer had successfully purchased the property. Momentum on this project stalled at one point. But when it was reported that the developer had finally purchased that remaining corner, I assumed part of the delay was due to the developer's desire to acquire the property and integrate it into one unified design.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:42 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Surprised this isn't getting more discussion considering it will be one of the tallest building downtown and certainly one of the most prominent given it's location.
I'm looking forward to this one even more then Trump Tower to be honest, the developer did such a great job at West Pender Place and the Beatty St office building is turning out to be pretty impressive too that I have high hopes here.
For me it's the design, it just doesn't do much for me at this point. I won't be too surprised if the quality manages to sway my opinion once it starts to take shape but for now im pretty 50/50 on my expectations.

Remember it's not all about height!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:32 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Remember it's not all about height!
Did you just say that on this forum?
I'm willing to give the developer the benefit of the doubt on the design given their past recent track record. I think at ground level this one will be vastly superior to a project such as the Trump Tower. At the end of the day the public realm is what we end up interacting with and I think the public will be well served by this development.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 10:11 PM
Reason and Freedom

I find the design of the tower disappointing. The fact that it will be one of the tallest towers in the city doesn't mitigate the disappointment; it amplifies it. It's a lost opportunity to do something truly exceptional. That said, I hope it ends up looking better in reality than it does in models and renders.

I agree, however, that the public realm component is strong and will add to the urbanity of the area, especially the new street wall along Hornby.

Last edited by Prometheus; Dec 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 10:27 PM
ON3P Skis

I'm not so sure the Public Realm will be all that fantastic. Hardly comparable to Trump Tower though I think, it is so vastly different. Better to compare it against something like Telus Garden, or another project with crosses a city lane. That being said I do have confidence that Pattison/Reliance will deliver a pretty good product.

I am going to miss the back alley Musette Cafe though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Did you just say that on this forum?
I'm willing to give the developer the benefit of the doubt on the design given their past recent track record. I think at ground level this one will be vastly superior to a project such as the Trump Tower. At the end of the day the public realm is what we end up interacting with and I think the public will be well served by this development.
It is kind of a hard design to judge from renders/models, isn't it? I've noticed with a lot of busier designs, like Burrard Gateway, that I'll be underwhelmed by the designs until I see them in person where I often quite like them. I felt that way about Woodwards and am feeling that Telus Gardens is likely to have the same effect. The thing about Trump or the BIG tower, is that with such clean, unified designs it's easy to imagine what the finished product will look like, form an opinion, and get excited. More busy designs kind of stump me.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
Dig-it

I'm thinking that once the buildings get built, they will be lost in the landscape without any dramatic site presence.

The South-West corner low-rise will be prominent, but the other big building's design wont be a factor unless you take the time to look up while walking north on Hornby from Pacific.

I was wondering where they got their inspiration for that organic look, and the only thing I can come up with is a Honeycomb sponge.

The Alley sky connector is interesting, I guess it will allow people access to the amenities which will be housed in and under the Hornby street buildings.

Last edited by TwoFace; Nov 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 11:09 PM
ON3P Skis

Public Hearing has now be scheduled. Details as follows:

December 17th, 2013 - 6pm
Council Chambers, 3rd Floor City Hall
453 West 12th Avenue

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:38 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Now's the time to email mayor and council in support of this project. This one is going to council later today. Only takes a minute.

Click Here to Email them

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:34 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Is anyone going to the meeting tonight? I'm going to try to be there but I'm unsure if I can make it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver