HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
Does anyone have more information on this statement from Buffalo Rising:

"BSC Group (Issa) is funding a master plan of the downtown core, which it is working with the State to complete."

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/ar...wer_update.php
I've asked Stip what that meant, and he's not sure....but, we think Issa is talking to Empire State Dev. about doing a streetscape plan for the area around the Statler and City Tower sites, not so much a master plan.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 2:28 AM
welcome to the madness

Thumbs down Courthouse delayed again.

From today's Buffalo News, it looks like the Federal Courthouse project might be delayed again.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...08/1054695.asp

Oops they did it again!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 3:14 AM

Delayed, but I hear that heavy equipment has been spotted on the site- is demo starting???

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Delayed, but I hear that heavy equipment has been spotted on the site- is demo starting???
Went by today, there is a fence around the area on the back side and demo in progress.

Pics tommarow or thurs

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 8:54 AM

This is where Mayor Brown has a conference call to Gov. Spitzer, then gets on a Plane, meets Hillary and Chuck at Reagan Field, takes that ride to The Capital, Meets every member of The Congressional Black Caucus, and LOBBIES HIS ASS OFF! Oh, yes, there are ways Boyz and Girls. I feel confident somebody's going to pull a Rabbit out of the Hat on this one. If there is a delay, it won't be long, watch and see. The Statler will be finished, The courthouse and The Issa Tower will be well under way before Brown's first term goes into the last year. COUNT ON IT!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 5:36 PM
welcome to the madness

Hope you're right--I'd also like to see more garages and less surface parking by the time Brown's first term is over. From the favorable class and and class b vacancy rate downtown that may happen.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
Hope you're right--I'd also like to see more garages and less surface parking by the time Brown's first term is over. From the favorable class and and class b vacancy rate downtown that may
happen.
That would be cool. One thing's for sure, he knows he has to have something to show he's an improvement from "Mayor Tony", and that the citizens of Buffalo made the right choice. He's got tremendous pull in Albany, he better start using it, if he hasn't already.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 3:37 PM
seriously

Webb Building

New owner of Webb Building sees very bright future for structure

... Crews began shoring up the building's interior earlier this week, starting on the ground floor. ... Floor joists will go in one level at a time over the next few months, followed by roof work. Replacement of mechanical systems should be under way by April.

...Termini plans to convert the circa 1888 building, which began life as a belt and hose factory, to 32 apartments, with a day care center occupying the first floor. The first tenants are expected to arrive in September.

...As the first-floor tenant, Termini has signed Vincentes Academy, a day care center that will accommodate up to 200 children. The 32 apartments, which will average 1,100 square feet, will lease for around $1,000 a month.

Full: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...11/1067781.asp

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 3:44 PM

The rehab as described sounds very delicate- hope they know what they're doing and there isn't a wind storm. Still pisses me off about 85 Genesee Street that ended up collapsing while being 'fixed'.

I hope to have Webb on the downtown housing tour in July- hopefully with a model open, otherwise just an area to show what he's doing there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 12:14 AM

Developers have plans for Dulski Building
Business First of Buffalo - 3:07 PM EST Thursday

Plans to bring the recently vacated Dulski Federal Building back to life are taking shape.

BTC Block 1/21 Inc. -- the partnership between Uniland Development Co. and Acquest Development Co. that is working on the project -- is seeking an incentive package from the Erie County Industrial Development Agency to help finance key elements of the renovation.

The IDA will conduct a hearing on the financing request at 9 a.m., Feb. 9. The bulk of the request focuses on mortgage tax exemptions.

Uniland and Acquest acquired the building last year from the federal General Services Administration.

Tentative plans call for the 18-story, nearly 400,000-square-foot building to undergo a $19.24 million renovation program that includes a mix of Class A office space, condominiums or apartments and, possibly a hotel to the 35-year-old structure on Delaware Avenue.

The GSA began shifting 33 federal offices from the former Dulski Building to other locations four years ago. All but three moved to downtown locations.

The GSA considered the building obsolete.

Uniland and Acquest are planning a dramatic facelift for the building including removing its faded white exterior with a new, sleek steel-and-glass look.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue B View Post
Uniland and Acquest are planning a dramatic facelift for the building including removing its faded white exterior with a new, sleek steel-and-glass look.
Ok, so where a rendering? Assuming they want public funding to go forward, at least let the public see what the hell they have.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 4:18 PM

End-game negotiations focus on alternative Bass Pro locations
By SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporter
1/12/2007

Eleventh-hour negotiations to lure Bass Pro Shops to the Buffalo waterfront are now focused on alternative locations to the idle Memorial Auditorium.

At the top of list is the historic Central Wharf, across Scott Street from the Aud, directly on the Buffalo River. The approximately 1.5-acre site, adjacent to the recently rewatered Commercial Slip, is being eyed for a store that would resemble an original, early 1800s commercial structure.

"It's a whole new deal and a whole new approach," said a source close to the negotiations who requested anonymity. "Stepping away from the Aud makes things a lot less complicated and potentially less expensive."

As the clock ticks down to a Tuesday deadline to reach a deal, local negotiators and the retailer are said to be "working aggressively" to reach a binding agreement that commits Bass Pro to Buffalo.

Larry Quinn, Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp. vice chairman, who is leading Bass Pro negotiations, confirmed the parties are looking beyond the Aud to get a deal.

"We're considering a number of different options, and there's dialogue going on. We're trying to come up with something that works," Quinn said. "Where it will lead, I just can't tell you."

Mayor Byron W. Brown declined to comment Thursday, but a senior staff member said Brown has been briefed on a variety of development options in recent days, including the Central Wharf location.

Another source familiar with the talks said additional sites in the inner harbor neighborhood also are being eyed, but the Central Wharf parcel, currently earmarked to become public green space, holds the most promise.

"It's right on the water and would directly integrate Bass Pro with the bigger effort to invigorate the Erie Canal Harbor. It would be a great mix of the past and the future," the source said.

While the Central Wharf property requires no cleanup or demolition, its use as a retail footprint flies in the face of existing plans to create public access on the city-owned historic site. Slated to be landscaped with a mix of trees, shrubs, open lawn and an iris garden this spring, it is part of the ongoing $49 million effort to re-establish the 12.5-acre Erie Canal Harbor site.

That project, which includes reopening the 184-year-old Commercial Slip and unearthing original Erie Canal building foundations, is slated for completion in October.

In mid-December the harbor development panel set a 30-day deadline to either reach a deal with Bass Pro, or initiate talks with other retailers to anchor a sweeping, $200 million Inner Harbor revitalization effort dubbed "Canal Side."

The parties were expected to get down to business on a plan that called for $35 million in public funds to be used to gut and remediate the Aud, setting the stage for Bass Pro to create a 160,000-square-foot, $20 million store.

The current discussions on alternatives to the Aud are said to have resulted from frustration with the huge expense and lengthy timetable for either gutting the Aud or tearing it down. No cost estimates for a Central Wharf store were available, but sources said the shallow, rectangular riverfront site will force a smaller store than previously proposed, probably in the 100,000- to 125,000-square-foot range.

Current talks, which leave the Aud out of the Bass Pro equation, are a dramatic departure from discussions dating back to 2001 that have featured the former sports arena as the linchpin in redevelopment efforts. Bass Pro founder Johnny Morris traveled to Buffalo as recently as October to re-evaluate the Aud's potential.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20070112/1002357.asp

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue B View Post
Current talks, which leave the Aud out of the Bass Pro equation, are a dramatic departure from discussions dating back to 2001 that have featured the former sports arena as the linchpin in redevelopment efforts. Bass Pro founder Johnny Morris traveled to Buffalo as recently as October to re-evaluate the Aud's potential.
This is what I'm hearing:

CITY: We've got a $200 Million Waterfront project going, and we want Bass Pro to be a part of it. We'd like to convert the Aud into a Bass Pro, and $50 Million, once earmarked (public cash) for The Adelphia Project, will go to Bass Pro.

BASS PRO: (SIX YEARS LATER ) Tell ya what, You give us the $50 Million, and we do what ever the F@#K we wana do, but you get a nice, neat little Bass Pro, Someplace .

CITY: Sounds Good, Tell us what to do!

Why they just don't tell these guys to go F%$k themselves is beyond me. Seems like Mayor Brown is real pissed by his no comment stance. He should take a firm line he did with the Seneca's. Clearly, Bass Pro does not want to be in Buffalo, so why are they continuing to kiss that ass? REDICULOUS!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 12:31 AM
Great White Norf

I agree halovet!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:40 AM

What does everyone think the odds are for Bass Pro signing? I'll say 80 percent chance- and I don't have any insider info. on how close they are. And, I think it is a good idea for Bflo. to have them down there- they'll be the anchor that will draw thousands year-round.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What does everyone think the odds are for Bass Pro signing? I'll say 80 percent chance- and I don't have any insider info. on how close they are. And, I think it is a good idea for Bflo. to have them down there- they'll be the anchor that will draw thousands year-round.
No way they turn down 50 Million Cash~Louie's Pal!
Oh, they will take the money and run straight to the Bank.
I fully expect "a place" on the waterfront, but not the showplace Buffalo deserves. I believe there is a Bass Pro in Upstate NY (Auburn) already. With one there, and two others in Pennsylvania, this may not be the best outfit for the harbor. As I said before, Cabelas could have done the same thing, and perhaps for something smaller that a $50 Mil Carrot on a stick.

Last edited by Halovet; Jan 13, 2007 at 11:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 1:57 PM

Wasn't most of the subsidy supposed to go to gut the Aud? So in theory, if they pick another site, less to no subsidy. We'll see.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Wasn't most of the subsidy supposed to go to gut the Aud? So in theory, if they pick another site, less to no subsidy. We'll see.
I say nuke The Aud, and put up a 30 story version of Lakefront tower in Chicago.

Last edited by Halovet; Jan 14, 2007 at 7:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 2:58 PM

Did everyone read Donn Esmonde's column today about aud re-use? What is the fascination with IKEA? They won't come to Buffalo- and we don't want them on the waterfront- has anyone seen their stores? Big blue boxes without windows- and that is ALL they build.

I do like the indoor water park idea- I know quite a few people who take their kids to Erie's. Put in some giant garage doors and it would be summer-friendly too.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:33 PM

Along those same lines has anyone heard more about that water park that was supposed to go in across from the airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations