HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:41 PM
BANNED

It's huge, it's middle and high end, it's crowded and it's across the street from Santana Row. To the east, there are older 'hoods of sfh's and former industrial space converting to pricey apartments. The Silicon Valley companies are booming. What's not to like?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:39 AM

There was a write up on Curbed today about the Plan to rezone Downtown Berkeley.
http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...g_downtown.php

There's a huge document that you can download. Click Here. Be forewarned: it's 1200 pages, 173 MB.

Here is an image I pulled from the document.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:42 PM

From Berkeleyside:

Quote:
After seven long years, Berkeley adopts a plan for downtown
March 21, 2012 9:09 am by Frances Dinkelspiel

After hundreds of meetings, seven years of contentious debate, and the sting of a ballot referendum still fresh, the Berkeley City Council on Tuesday night adopted a new plan for its downtown.
Continue Reading....

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:33 PM

I was downtown San Jose today and noticed the parking lot at 2nd and San Fernando was fenced off with a backhoe on site. Anyone know what's up? I know this building was proposed at one point but was scraped....

Living Tomorrow's proposed tower, which was to include a hotel, at 8 East San Fernando Street:

Source: http://sanjose21.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Currently a parking lot, 8 East San Fernando Street is another high-profile downtown parcel. Adjacent to The 88, the lot was originally slated to be the site of Living Tomorrow's Silicon Valley pavilion, its first in the United States. But even before the current financial crisis, Living Tomorrow was unable to secure funding, so the project was scraped in 2007.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:22 PM

Architectural perfection:

Photos: Cupertino City Council

California can still dream!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:59 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I was downtown San Jose today and noticed the parking lot at 2nd and San Fernando was fenced off with a backhoe on site. Anyone know what's up? I know this building was proposed at one point but was scraped....
According to this 2010 article in the SJ Business Journal, the redevelopment agency sold it to Sobrato and it could be commercial or residential.

Then I found this article from March on sanjose.com that says the city is considering raising height limits and other incentives to get Sobrato to build something tall on that site. It also states that Sobrato is in wait and see mode:

Quote:
Within walking distance of pretty much everything the city’s core has to offer, it will be the site of San Jose’s next grand highrise, as originally planned. Or it will just rise to a fraction of its potential.

After shelving highrise plans four years ago when the economy tanked, just how interested is the current owner, The Sobrato Organization, in building high, now that the real estate market is showing signs of revival?

“It’s too early to tell,” says Tim Steele, Sobrato’s senior director of Real Estate. “Depending on the market, depending on the incentives that the city is willing to consider, and how they play and make any of those uses feasible, we have to wait and see.”
Doesn't answer anything. In fact, given that you've seen activity there it only adds to the confusion.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:52 PM

Apparently, they are just repaving and striping the lot, and wait for it...

adding a pay station!!! WOW!!

Though, I did found some more info and renderings:

Quote:
San Jose, California
This new mixed-use development will be located between 1st and 2nd street in San Fernando in San Jose. The building will consist of a 230-room, five star hotel on floors 1 though 7 and will have 216-residential units above. This modern urban resort cross utilization between the hotel and the residential will feature a restaurant and night club. In addition, the building is expected to be LEED certified.
http://www.scb.com/?mainpage=2&paget...l=6&seclevel=1

Source: www.scb.com

Source: www.scb.com

I'm pretty sure these are the updated plans for the site, but unfortunately it's looking like any development on this parcel is at least a couple years away.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Apparently, they are just repaving and striping the lot, and wait for it...

adding a pay station!!! WOW!!
So, technically they are building something! Say, is it a 20-story pay station by any chance?

How do you find this stuff? I searched all over for something and came up with the few scraps above. You're always finding these great renderings. I must be looking in the wrong places.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
So, technically they are building something! Say, is it a 20-story pay station by any chance?

How do you find this stuff? I searched all over for something and came up with the few scraps above. You're always finding these great renderings. I must be looking in the wrong places.
Haha...A 20 story pay station? I'll take it!

To answer your second question...

Well, I'm a nerd. Actually, I found these on accident - I was looking for renderings of Blocks 6 and 7 in the Transbay District (SF) here and stumbled across them.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:10 AM

Emeryville infill and remodel of Emeryville Public Market
from: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...partments.html

Quote:
TMG starts 190 apartments in Emeryville Public Market revamp
San Francisco Business Times by Blanca Torres, Reporter
Date: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 7:00am PDT - Last Modified: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 7:10am PDT

TMG Partners and capital partner Essex Property Trust plan to start construction on a $54 million, 190-unit apartment project in Emeryville that is the first residential component of the firm’s major revamp of the Emeryville Public Market.

Continue Reading....

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:47 PM

22-story tower might be under construction by the years end

Quote:
WEDNESDAY, MAY 16, 2012

New High-Rise Construction Update
I just received some info from the SJ Downtown Residents Association Newsletter that I think you are all going to enjoy. It looks like we'll finally have a crane back in Downtown San Jose this year. A new 22-story Barry Swenson apartment building that is going to be between Axis and the San Pedro Square Market has been approved and sounds like it is moving forward. More info below (sign up for this newsletter here) along with renderings of the building.

Continue Reading....

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:59 PM

I was wondering what was happening here. The Old Clarion Hotel near SFO is being converted into an Aloft Hotel. Nice upgrade!

Quote:
Starwood Converts an Old Clarion Hotel into Aloft SFO
04/30/2012
By Robert Carlsen

McCarthy Building Cos. is converting a 1960s-era Clarion Hotel property adjacent to the San Francisco International Airport into a “next generation” business/boutique property.

Aloft, Starwood Hotels & Resorts’ newest brand that launched in 2008, now has 87 locations worldwide, including three in California: This current under-construction property in Millbrae, in Ontario-Rancho Cucamonga and, opening next year, in Cupertino.

Aloft SFO, designed by Jonathan Nehmer + Associates, Rockville, Md., will have 253 rooms, a 5,102-sq-ft lobby with the brand’s signature hang-outs (the w xyz bar and re:fuel by Aloft eatery), 672 sq ft of meeting space and a detached pool. The whole property also features free Wi-Fi.
Source and article: http://california.construction.com/c...-aloft-sfo.asp

Source: http://california.construction.com

Source: http://california.construction.com

Hotel site:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ropertyID=3719

There is another Aloft (2nd Bay Area location) under construction in Cupertino as well. It will open early next year.

Quote:
This is the second Aloft hotel in the Bay Area. Starwood is renovating a former Clarion Hotel near San Francisco airport to reshape the hotel in the Aloft mold.
The Cupertino hotel will be constructed on a vacant lot at 10165 N. De Anza Boulevard between Stevens Creek Boulevard and Interstate 280, and is scheduled to open in 2013.
Source and article: http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...silicon-valley

Source: www.canyonvmf.com

Last edited by 1977; May 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:14 PM

Decision to be made about Block 2 in downtown Redwood City this evening:

Quote:
Hunter/Storm or Lowe Enterprises to develop Block 2 in Redwood City?
Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal by Mary Ann Azevedo, Reporter
Date: Monday, May 21, 2012, 2:47pm PDT
Related: Commercial Real Estate, Redwood City

The Redwood City City Council is expected to make a decision on Monday night as to who will redevelop Block 2, a city parking lot on 950 Middlefield Road.
Five developers were interested in the site but the short list came down to Cupertino-based Hunter/Storm LLC and Lowe Enterprises out of Los Angeles. The two developers have submitted final proposals at the end of March and have been eagerly waiting to hear who will be tapped to develop the 2.3-acre plot.
Hunter/Storm’s proposal involves a $100 million project that will be mainly office on the lot that is adjacent to the Redwood City Caltrain station. Ed Storm, chairman of Hunter Properties – the umbrella company of Hunter/Storm – said his firm’s proposal is to build a pair of multi-story office buildings totaling about 261,000 square feet. The developer also is proposing a 120-room hotel to be constructed in conjunction with Palo Alto-based BPR Properties.
Meanwhile, Lowe Enterprises is proposing 262,000 square feet of office, 145,0000 square feet of apartments and a 140-room hotel. It has tapped Redwood City’s DES Architects to design the project and would work with DPR Construction (also of Redwood City) to build it out if it is tapped to develop it...
Source and article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n....html?page=all

A breakdown of both projects can be seen here.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 2:46 AM
Only Mostly Dead

For anyone who didn't already hear, Redwood City is going with Hunter/Storm.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
For anyone who didn't already hear, Redwood City is going with Hunter/Storm.
Thanks for sharing the news Peanut Gallery. To be honest, both proposals didn't seem all that different from one another to me. Both were dense, but pretty bland. Funnily, I did think the Hunter/Storm proposal had a very NorCal approach to the architecture and the Lowe Enterprise had a very SoCal approach. I guess the Lowe proposal would have had more retail and residential units included, that was the main difference between the two.

Anyhoo, it's nice to hear that some big changes are coming for downtown Redwood City and that they went with a local company. Thanks for posting the renderings link 1977.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The Tribune is moving back downtown, well Uptown actually. From the SF Business Times:

Quote:
Tribune back in heart of Oakland
San Francisco Business Times
Date: Friday, June 8, 2012, 7:00am PDT - Last Modified: Friday, June 8, 2012, 7:18am PDT

The Oakland Tribune on Monday will begin operating out of a new home at 1960 Broadway in Oakland's Uptown district. The paper's editorial and advertising departments are setting up shop in the former Wachovia Bank branch there.

The Tribune left its iconic home in the Tribune Tower in 2007 to move into a space across Interstate 880 from the Coliseum.
Only a 5-year hiatus. It somehow seemed longer than that to me.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Tribune is moving back downtown, well Uptown actually. From the SF Business Times:

Only a 5-year hiatus. It somehow seemed longer than that to me.
Is this motivated by lower rents? I assume they don't need more space.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:47 AM

I took these photos a couple of weeks ago while going to work. I apologize for the quality. They were taken on my phone while the train was moving. It's incredibly close to the West Oakland BART station. Does anyone have any more information about this? Is this some expansion of the Mandela Transit Village?

This one is particularly bad in quality, but you get a sense of the impact:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:41 PM
testify

no info, but i have to say that though it's nice height for a wood frame construction, i'd want to spend about 15-20 minutes in the bedroom during listening for the morning bart noise before i'd consider moving in there.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:46 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I think that's senior housing by Michaels Development, called Red Star Apartments. Here's a rendering from Michaels' website:

Advent is the General and here's their project website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations