HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm at the edge of my seat!

Don't think we'll hear anything on the arena though (unless talks fell through, but we would probably know). Not expecting anything on that until the Fall.
The agenda is up!!!!! Update on LeBreton Flat is the last thing on the agenda

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...g-january-2023

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
The agenda is up!!!!! Update on LeBreton Flat is the last thing on the agenda

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...g-january-2023

With a 20 minute update for the public, and a 30 minute update behind closed doors, I expect the public piece isn't going to be that exciting.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 3:20 PM
Mooderator

Are they going to rename the Ottawa River Parkway again?

My GPS software can't keep up.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Are they going to rename the Ottawa River Parkway again?

My GPS software can't keep up.
Does anybody use the Sir John A or Etienne Carter names? They're Ottawa River Parkway and Rockcliffe Parkway to me.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:25 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Does anybody use the Sir John A or Etienne Carter names? They're Ottawa River Parkway and Rockcliffe Parkway to me.
My car (2016 XC90) with the latest map updates lists it as SJAM Parkway, east of the Champlain Bridge. West, it is still Ottawa River Parkway. Someone should tell the Swedes (or Chinese) to update it.

I think they want to rename it again, though.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I think I use them intermediately. The ones where I almost never stray away from are the Civic Centre and Corel Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My car (2016 XC90) with the latest map updates lists it as SJAM Parkway, east of the Champlain Bridge. West, it is still Ottawa River Parkway. Someone should tell the Swedes (or Chinese) to update it.

I think they want to rename it again, though.
The renaming of John A. is on tomorrow's agenda.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:30 PM

Not much was said on Lebreton Flat other than everything is advancing well.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway to be renamed using Indigenous naming exercise
New name to be presented to National Capital Commission board in June

Natalia Goodwin · CBC News
Posted: Jan 19, 2023 2:31 PM EST | Last Updated: 17 minutes ago

The board of the National Capital Commission has voted to move ahead in the renaming of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway with an Indigenous name.

After the 2021 discovery of unmarked graves at a former residential school in British Columbia, three Ottawa city councillors called on the commission to change the name.

During his reign as Canada's first prime minister, Macdonald's government enforced policies that starved Indigenous people to force them from their land, and outlawed their ceremonies. It also centralized and expanded a residential school system that took generations of children from their families and tried to wipe out their cultures. That legacy was detailed during the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

A name change was also requested by Chief Dylan Whiteduck of Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg First Nation and the band council of the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan First Nation in 2021, while hundreds protested on the parkway the following year.

The move to rename the roadway received unanimous support from the NCC board Thursday, including a board member from Algonquin Anishinabeg Nation Tribal Council

"That's a very important area for the Algonquin people. The river that's there, the Ottawa River, and the other waterways nearby, that was our highways … one of the main ways we'd get together to gather and trade," said Norm Odjick during the meeting.

"So it's got a very significant cultural significance."

An advisory committee was struck last August to review the name of the parkway, and it's met twice to craft recommendations that were presented Thursday.

The board agreed the naming will happen in consultation with the Algonquin Nation in what is called an Indigenous naming and engagement exercise. That will involve working with elders and other members of the community on the name, beginning this winter.

Further workshops and public engagement activities will begin in the spring, with opportunities to exchange information and stories about the historic area.

"The importance of that process is really to understand the meaning of what that name will be, because the significance attached to a name is really important to understand," said the NCC's Véronique de Passillé.

"We want to be able to integrate what we learned from that engagement in future interpretation strategies that would take place in the park that has been created along the parkway."

The proposed name will be presented and voted on by the board in June, and an unveiling ceremony is planned for Sept. 30 to coincide with the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...name-1.6719304

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 12:34 AM

I don't know why they didn't just revert to the original "Ottawa River Parkway" name, bring out the old signs from storage and call it a day.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 10:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Federal Court sides with National Capital Commission in tax battle over Gatineau Park
The two sides have been fighting about payments for five years

Andrew Duffy, Ottawa Citizen
Published Feb 01, 2023 • 3 minute read

The Federal Court has sided with the National Capital Commission in the latest round of the Crown corporation’s extended tax battle with the Municipality of Chelsea over the valuation of Gatineau Park.

In a recent decision, Federal Court Judge Peter George Pamel ruled that the NCC was justified in the way it calculated the payments it made to Chelsea in lieu of taxes for its Gatineau Park properties.

“Overall, I am of the view that the commission’s use of its discretion in aggregating properties and determining their effective value was, both in process and in result, transparent, intelligible, and adequately justified,” Pamel concluded.

The judge also awarded court costs to the NCC.

Two years ago, angry Chelsea taxpayers threatened to disrupt access to Gatineau Park over the NCC’s payments.

Federally owned land is not subject to taxation by municipal governments in Canada, but like other federal landholders, the NCC makes payments in lieu of taxes.

In late 2021, Chelsea went to Federal Court for judicial review of the NCC’s decision to override the recommendations of a federal advisory panel, which said the Crown corporation should give the municipality $1.4 million for payment in lieu of property taxes for the years 2018 through 2020.

But the NCC argued the system used to value its Gatineau Park properties was fundamentally unfair because it treated the land as if it had development potential.

The NCC said it could not accept a valuation of its Gatineau Park properties based on the sale of comparable residential properties when none were as large, or as restricted, as those owned by the Crown corporation.

The municipality argued the NCC was dutybound to follow the recommendations of the federal advisory panel.

The two sides have been fighting about the payments for five years.

In his ruling, Pamel said the NCC is not legally bound by the advisory panel decision and can deviate from its conclusions “if it is of the opinion that these conclusions do not comply with the principles applicable to property taxation.”

According to the decision, the Municipality of Chelsea sought to impose valuation increases of 19 to 25 per cent on NCC properties in Gatineau Park. During the same period, the average valuation increase in Chelsea was 3.9 per cent.

After conducting its own analysis, the NCC decided it would pay the municipality of Chelsea $1.1 million for the years 2018-2020 based on an effective value of $49 million for its Gatineau Park holdings, according to the court decision.

The Municipality of Chelsea said that the valuation was less than half of what the advisory panel recommended.

Chelsea Mayor Pierre Guénard did not respond Wednesday to questions about whether the municipality would appeal the ruling or what it would potentially mean for municipal finances.

Spokesperson Maude Prud’homme Séguin said the municipality will issue a statement in the coming days. “We are still in the process of analyzing the judgment,” she said.

Meanwhile, the NCC welcomed the Federal Court decision, which backed its argument that the property in question must be evaluated based on its use as a conservation park.

“The NCC is confident that we can continue to work closely with the Municipality of Chelsea, and hopes that the clarity of this decision will help us move forward,” the Crown corporation said in a statement Wednesday.

The Federal Court decision holds important implications for all municipalities with federal lands.

A spokesperson for the NCC said it has paid the municipality a total of $1.8 million in payments in lieu of taxes for the years 2018-2020, and another $1 million for those same properties in 2021 and 2022.

The NCC did not respond to a request for clarification by deadline on the breakdown of those numbers or an explanation as to why the totals are inconsistent with other published figures.

According to the NCC, Gatineau Park generates more than $240 million in economic activity and helps to support more than 4,700 jobs in the region.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-gatineau-park

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:57 PM

Seems like the NCC had a fair argument here. Glad they won the court case.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 2:58 AM

Victoria Island Remediation Project going great. Good job everyone!

Before:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:08 PM

Victoria Island has potential to be a really cool destination... in 50 years when the trees grow back.

If we could build the Indigenous Centre, add other points of interests. Wonder if there's any chance the climbing gym returns.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:34 PM

That Tunneys Skyline is looking pretty good from afar. People from out of town are going to be extremely confused as to where 'Downtown Ottawa' is in a few years, considering that our actual downtown is permanently stunted.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That Tunneys Skyline is looking pretty good from afar. People from out of town are going to be extremely confused as to where 'Downtown Ottawa' is in a few years, considering that our actual downtown is permanently stunted.
I think some of the most interesting Cities in the world have unclear downtowns. Where exactly is the "downtown" of Paris? (not to say that we are Paris, but none-the-less).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:49 PM

So, is Victoria Island in the hands of the Algonquin now, or I guess, after remediation?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
So, is Victoria Island in the hands of the Algonquin now, or I guess, after remediation?
Maybe after a well deserved name change

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 6:29 PM

The agenda for the next board meeting on April 20th is posted online! There's a Lebreton Flat project update on the agenda

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...ing-april-2023

Last edited by SL123; Apr 6, 2023 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
The agenda for the next board meeting on April 20th is posted online! There's a Lebreton Flat project update on the agenda
e
https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...ing-april-2023
Adjournment at 10:40? Not much going on at NCC.
Everyone must be busy catching that wild turkey on the loose at Mud Lake.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Adjournment at 10:40? Not much going on at NCC.
Everyone must be busy catching that wild turkey on the loose at Mud Lake.
That is quite short. Hoping to hear something interesting on LeBreton and whatever those major projects might be.

I'd love to see massing for the arena (I think they mentioned they were working on that last time), but we might just hear about the Flats District.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues