HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass View Post
Apart from the strong family ties, I'm not sure Vancouver registers much on the HK consciousness -- and certainly not as it did in the 90s.
I dunno, that's just an opinion. There are HK TV shows that are set in Vancouver, plus there are something like 30 non-stop flights a week between the 2 cities. So....

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
I dunno, that's just an opinion. There are HK TV shows that are set in Vancouver, plus there are something like 30 non-stop flights a week between the 2 cities. So....
Read what I said again. Of course there are close ties between Hong Kong and Vancouver. But "what Hong Kong wants to be" (as the previous poster said -- sorry, I know it wasn't meant to be taken literally) is London or New York or Paris -- or even Sydney. Family ties aside, I haven't seen Vancouver mentioned in HK as an urban development model. Even as a place to live, Vancouver no longer seems to register as much compared with several years ago (as might be suggested by the huge drop in immigrants to Canada from HK). The next time you're in Hong Kong, check out the overseas property listings. In the main, they're in the UK and Australia (and even New Zealand), or resort properties in Thailand and Indonesia.

Now back on topic...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:48 PM

As of this morning they were working on level 60 of 61. I'm guessing the last floor will be poured early next week, and then the roof garden slab soon after.

So the building will appear to add two more floors from where it is right now.

Here's where they are:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 9:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6969 View Post
Looks like they were working on a new floor today, to it's definitely not topped out yet, but this could be it...they haven't done much in terms of glass for the last few weeks, i can't imagine they get this whole thing closed in till the end of january...and as for the fins, well we all know how long the roof on bentall 5 took.
Yeah, i couldn't believe how long it took to add those top 12 floors to Bentall V. I'll bet some 34-story buildings get built from scratch in less time than it took them to make that addition. I don't think you can make a comparison between Shangri-La and Bentall V though because the two buildings are so different. I'll bet part of the reason Bentall V took so long was because the technology of adding floors to existing buildings is in it's infancy so they didn't want to fuck things up.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Dec 14, 2007 at 9:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:20 AM

or disturb the tenants in the building already

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:18 AM

Are the fins only gonna be one story, cuz i thought they were 3 before we got the extra floor, so i was expecting at least 2 story's still.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 10:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6969 View Post
Are the fins only gonna be one story, cuz i thought they were 3 before we got the extra floor, so i was expecting at least 2 story's still.
Nathan6969.....you couldn't be more wrong. The fins will measure at 34.7 feet.

Also, "cuz" is spelled "cause" - and in this case shortening the word "because" to "cause" makes no sense as then you are proving case which you aren't. Good luck though.

Last edited by Tower Power; Dec 12, 2007 at 11:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Read what I said again. I haven't seen Vancouver mentioned in HK as an urban development model.

Now back on topic...
I just replied to what you said:

Quote:
I'm not sure Vancouver registers much on the HK consciousness
I have in fact seen Vancouver mentioned in the South China Morning Post regarding urban development recently. They wanted to know why HK developers do not build the same way in HK as they do in Vancouver (ie. podium towers, etc).

I just said what you wrote is your OPINION, which you are entitled to, as I am to mine.

NOW, back on topic.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 8:23 PM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Power View Post
Nathan6969.....you couldn't be more wrong. The fins will measure at 34.7 feet.

Also, "cuz" is spelled "cause" - and in this case shortening the word "because" to "cause" makes no sense as then you are proving case which you aren't. Good luck though.
You must be joking. This is a casual internet forum. He can use all the colloquialisms and improper grammar/spelling he wants, assuming you can still understand him (which you apparently could). He's not writing a formal essay for Christ sakes. Who are you, an English teacher? Lighten up.

While I'm sure you had good intentions behind your critiquing, you kind of just ended up looking like a huge condescending asshole. Sorry to 'attack' you on this matter, but while your pet peeve is apparently improper grammar, mine is people treating others like jerks when they don't deserve it. He was just trying to find out some information.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 10:59 PM

pwnage.... take your editing ways outta this thread....

back on topic!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post

I have in fact seen Vancouver mentioned in the South China Morning Post regarding urban development recently. They wanted to know why HK developers do not build the same way in HK as they do in Vancouver (ie. podium towers, etc).
IMO, HK and Vancouver battle with different conditions in construction. HK is confined and short on space, making huge high rises built out everywhere necessary in order to accomodate the 6 million residents, while in Vancouver we are trying to protect the view corridors with the POTO style developement. Can you imagine how much one of those podium townhouses would cost if it was built in HK? It'd just be like building a 3 level townhouse podium in Manhattan.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
pwnage.... take your editing ways outta this thread....

back on topic!!!!

IMO, HK and Vancouver battle with different conditions in construction. HK is confined and short on space, making huge high rises built out everywhere necessary in order to accomodate the 6 million residents, while in Vancouver we are trying to protect the view corridors with the POTO style developement. Can you imagine how much one of those podium townhouses would cost if it was built in HK? It'd just be like building a 3 level townhouse podium in Manhattan.
True, but development guidelines in HK are also generally more relaxed, allowing developers to maximize their profits (that's what it's all about, isn't it...?) I don't see the same level of scrutiny in HK to built form and response to the environment that the UDP panel gives to new developments in Vancouver. Maybe it's not practical given difference in size between the two?

All joking aside, the more relaxed guidelines have resulted in some great buildings but also some truly hideous ones. Some people talk about Vancouver's bland architecture, but overall, the quality of build and design -- and the resulting urban environment -- tends to be very good.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:15 AM

Stuck in traffic on the way home from work today, snapped a few pics on my camera phone... so excuse the quality.

And then the view from my road.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:16 AM

Speaking of being "on topic", what do comparisons of Hong Kong & Vancouver
have to do with Living Shangri La? And now that we're back on thread, I would personally estimate that LSL is just over 600 ft right now, so with 1 more floor
and the fins to go, that will put it pretty close to 645 ft.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:21 AM

Quote:
And then the view from my road.
You wealthy mofo.... I kid I kid.
thanks for the shots.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:48 AM

Dude wtf????

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:49 AM

Anyways for christ sakes this tower is getting god dam tall, before Vancouver was called Hongcouver for the large influx of people from Hongkong but looking at some of these pictures the actually skyline is starting to resemble Hongkong. By the way nice view rag, now im jealous...'now im going to find out how to use the ignore feature...Though i might wait and see what happens, i sense some good old entertainment, something i haven't seen on the Vancouver forum in a while.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:49 AM

^^Cuz...cuz...cuz...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 3:18 AM

A two-week account suspension on the eve of Shangri-La topping out would suck, wouldn't it?

So let's get back on topic and quit the Hong Kong nonsense.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
So let's get back on topic and quit the Hong Kong nonsense.
Well, Shangri-la IS a HK-based hotel chain...

sorry sorry sorry.

A while back someone mentioned some of the penthouse apartments were still unsold. Any update on that?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Shangri-La is only # 563 in the entire world in terms of height.

Callgary's Bow Tower, if finished today, would rate # 234 in height

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver