HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:15 AM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
To be clear, Denver requires the homeless person to apply for the free bus ticket and prove that they have family members or a support network in place at the destination city willing to help them out; otherwise, the city won't give them the bus ticket.
Salt Lake city has the exact same program.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:58 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Aren't we just going back to the 1980s when cities did this? Every city gave one-way bus tickets to homeless, who just cycled from city to city.

Guess that answers my question.
Yeah but in the 1980s we didn’t have the technology to identify somebody within seconds using biometrics. So we just tell somebody if they come back they go to jail...

Hell... we should just deport all the druggies to Mexico and trade them for Mexican people who want to come here and work... the druggies will even be able to get there dope quicker. It’s a win-win situation.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:25 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Hell... we should just deport all the druggies to Mexico and trade them for Mexican people who want to come here and work... the druggies will even be able to get there dope quicker. It’s a win-win situation.
Can we start with all the folks in Utah County hopped up on happy pills?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:17 AM

Never change Salt Lake City "development" thread. Keep being you.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
Greedy? Didn't Salt Lake City have a bribery scandal involved in their Olympic bid? Talk about greedy...
Every city before SLC was bribing the IOC. SLC was the first city where someone with ethics said this is wrong and became a whistleblower. So, it was actually SLC that helped clean up the IOC.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:56 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Every city before SLC was bribing the IOC. SLC was the first city where someone with ethics said this is wrong and became a whistleblower. So, it was actually SLC that helped clean up the IOC.
That's like saying Barry Bonds cleaned up baseball.

SLC's problem was that they were utterly incompetent in how they handled the bribing.

But I agree with the overall point - it's not greedy for LA to want the Olympics. That's just a really moronic thing to say in a thread where we're pushing the idea of SLC hosting the games so soon after the 2002 Olympics.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
That's like saying Barry Bonds cleaned up baseball.

SLC's problem was that they were utterly incompetent in how they handled the bribing.

But I agree with the overall point - it's not greedy for LA to want the Olympics. That's just a really moronic thing to say in a thread where we're pushing the idea of SLC hosting the games so soon after the 2002 Olympics.
If it weren't for the whistleblower, you would have never known SLOC bribed the IOC. I had nothing to do with incompetence.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Portland has a similar program to Denver; the homeless individual has to prove they have family in the destination city in order to get a free bus ticket.
The following is from the SLtrib article linked above:
"About a third of those surveyed said they had been in jail in the past six months. Half those surveyed said they were from out of state."
So yeah, lots are coming in from out of state, though that doesn't necessarily mean other cities are facilitating that migration. Though perhaps informally they are, or maybe word just spreads, like with the late show (or tonight show... one of those late night talk shows) picking up the story on the "Housing First" initiative a few years ago. I imagine word spread and a number of homeless folks managed to make it here in hopes that they could get into that program.
Half are from out of state sure, but there's no specification of how long those people have been here, or if they were homeless when they came here, or why they came here. That statistic is meaningless in a vacuum honestly.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:48 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
If it weren't for the whistleblower, you would have never known SLOC bribed the IOC. I had nothing to do with incompetence.
Well I don't know if you did or not, but yeah, it absolutely did with SLOC - including continued illegal activity and a trail of evidence that easily tied back to SLOC (which set it apart from other games, where most information was circumstantial).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Such a weird thing to blame "greedy" LA. They should pass because it might hurt a winter olympics in SLC? Come on.
The Olympics are changing, especially after disasters like Athens and Sochi. Cities are dropping out of bidding for the games, the residents don't want the billions in tax burden for their cities that aren't ready to handle it. Hence why Beijing, a city that doesn't really get any natural snow, is hosting the winter olympics in 5 years. This is the first time they'll award two games at the same time. The old rules are gone. I honestly think it's going to look more like how the Super Bowl used to be: a rotation of a few cities that are modern and set up to host the games by maintaining venues. LA, London, Beijing, Sydney, etc. Same thing is going to happen for the winter games, though winter games are much less expensive. But still, cities don't want to host. SLC is set up better than any city in the world to host the winter games. Easy to get to, plenty of hotel rooms, venues are intact and ready, infrastructure is ready, very little (relative) cost is needed to be "Olympics" ready.

The old rules of alternating hemispheres to host the games are gone. Asia is hosting 3 straight winter games (Japan, China, South Korea). If they don't change the rules, the Olympics will die out, or Beijing will host every single one.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:43 PM

Excellent points ucsbgaucho. For the Winter Games Salt Lake City fits well into the need to stay out of the financial red and turn a needed profit.

Of course, Los Angeles is a natural choice for the Summer Games. Just the fact that they will have all the venues in place, all the hotel rooms, stadiums and venues of various sizes will be here anyway, even without the Olympics. Including that L.A. is experiencing a flurry of mass transit expansion and construction, that will be in place by that time. For the Summer games there really is no better choice in the world, as far as keeping the financial impact out of the red, and actually showing a profit. The infrastructure for a Summer Games in greater Los Angeles is second to none.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Excellent points ucsbgaucho. For the Winter Games Salt Lake City fits well into the need to stay out of the financial red and turn a needed profit.

Of course, Los Angeles is a natural choice for the Summer Games. Just the fact that they will have all the venues in place, all the hotel rooms, stadiums and venues of various sizes will be here anyway, even without the Olympics. Including that L.A. is experiencing a flurry of mass transit expansion and construction, that will be in place by that time. For the Summer games there really is no better choice in the world, as far as keeping the financial impact out of the red, and actually showing a profit. The infrastructure for a Summer Games in greater Los Angeles is second to none.
Yep, they're already renovating the coliseum for USC, so that'll be ready for opening ceremonies. They'll have the most advanced football stadium available as well for soccer, plus the Rose Bowl, Staples Center and Honda Center for basketball and gymnastics (if they need both), I think UCLA has a high-end tennis center, Santa Monica for beach volleyball, Long Beach for rowing, etc. LA is going to start getting Olympics on a regular basis, I bet.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:03 PM
Engineer

Where did jubguy go? The first post on the SLC threads has been useless for years. Would be great to have a nice, well-put-together, up-to-date rundown of projects in SLC.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:04 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Whoa that is ugly! Glad the PC isn't on board with the design. Very, very ugly.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Half are from out of state sure, but there's no specification of how long those people have been here, or if they were homeless when they came here, or why they came here. That statistic is meaningless in a vacuum honestly.
Yeah, I agree with all the caveats you gave. I'll add that it was self-reported, which adds another layer of ambiguity. As some have stated, it's a national societal issue; we can't silo causes into areas, cities, or even states, so perhaps solutions can't be either.
On a lighter note, I took the trax red line from ballpark up the the U this morning, which I haven't done in quite some time. I was impressed with the new projects and amount under construction in the central 9th area. It really seems like it's developing into a pretty cool neighborhood. I'll have to go walk around sometime soon to get a better feel for it, but yeah, it's looking good.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:53 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Can we start with all the folks in Utah County hopped up on happy pills?
Hey, that's me.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportvids View Post
I've done my research thank you very much. No way the US will host back to back games. Very unlikely. Greedy LA who they feel they must ALWAYS have the spot light on them just killed our chances.
So LA is so greedy that Salt Lake lost its chances? Dude you seriously need to think before talking. The only one on here that sounds greedy to any extent is you. Your so greedy you can't even stand the thought of another city hosting the Olympics in your own country? I understand that LA hosts the Summer and Salt Lake can really only host the winter, But if I were to choose whether LA will host the summer or Salt Lake host the winter Olympics and you can't have both then I'm going to have to say LA, that is one of the largest cities in the world, has everything you could imagine, and is incredibly easier to get to than Salt Lake from anywhere in the world. It actually makes a lot of sense to do the summer Olympics in LA even if it means sacrificing the winter Olympics from going to Salt Lake, which I'm sure most of the world doesn't even care.

And over the passed 100 years all the way up to today, there is very few cities in the world that have shown they deserve the spotlight more than LA.

This thread is a prime example of absolutely nothing going on in a city. Its entertaining! Even Phoenix and Boise get excited about 2 and 3 stories going up! But you guys talk real! You guys always go off on some of the weirdest stuff! Keep it up Salt Lake!

Last edited by Jiffy; Aug 1, 2017 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:38 PM
BANNED

However I do wonder though, as I do believe that Salt Lake is one of the best places the Winter Olympics could be held, if there is still some kind of negative impact? I'm not too well versed in this subject, but I do know what a lot of positives are for hosting the Olympics, and I know the negative impact that it can serve on cities not quite ready to host something like that. But we know Salt Lake has hosted them before and is quite capable of hosting them again with no problem. But is there another negative to hosting them? Because cities, even in our own country that are far larger and far more capacity to host something that large (Like Boston) declined to host the Olympics. Why would they do that if they have all the infrastructure and supply for the demands if there wasn't some other type of negative impact?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy View Post
However I do wonder though, as I do believe that Salt Lake is one of the best places the Winter Olympics could be held, if there is still some kind of negative impact? I'm not too well versed in this subject, but I do know what a lot of positives are for hosting the Olympics, and I know the negative impact that it can serve on cities not quite ready to host something like that. But we know Salt Lake has hosted them before and is quite capable of hosting them again with no problem. But is there another negative to hosting them? Because cities, even in our own country that are far larger and far more capacity to host something that large (Like Boston) declined to host the Olympics. Why would they do that if they have all the infrastructure and supply for the demands if there wasn't some other type of negative impact?
The negatives are in the initial construction costs and maintenance of the venues. The more built up the city is, the harder it is to locate spaces for the venues. Winter Olympics also require less space overall than Summer.

There are less athletes for the Athlete Village but it is also that Winter sports are primarily outdoor and on mountainsides where summer have larger spaces for Track and Field, Golf, Rowing, Horseback riding and so forth.

For Salt Lake to host the Winter Olympics again, the only real need would be space for the Athlete Village as the previous village is now housing for UofU students.

Salt Lake did end up making money on the Winter Olympics and did have enough to fund an endowment for the venues so they are well maintained and in use currently.

If the Olympics started to be shuttled between 4 or 5 locations, I think that having a permanent Athletes Village would be something to look into. In the other years, it could be used as a training base for athletes from around the world as well as maybe used as an AirBNB or a low cost hostel to help recoup the maintenance costs.

I do think that SLC could host the Winter Olympics on short notice and would do well as one of the few rotating sites for the Winter Olympics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West