HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I seriously can't believe Phoenix puts up with this shit in their RFP process.
It's frankly annoying. I emailed the procurement officer to try to get some info on Central Station. The Edith is another that looks like it received an extension for another year. Sadly, that's Berger and they were also the recommended proposer for the Hyatt Garage RFP which will likely be stalled even longer as a result. It's seems like they've been "in negotiations" with the city for way too long now.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:24 PM
Chase M

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
It's frankly annoying. I emailed the procurement officer to try to get some info on Central Station. The Edith is another that looks like it received an extension for another year. Sadly, that's Berger and they were also the recommended proposer for the Hyatt Garage RFP which will likely be stalled even longer as a result. It's seems like they've been "in negotiations" with the city for way too long now.
I honestly had a feeling this would happen with the Hyatt Garage, they've taken so long with the Edith that I knew the Hyatt would get pushed back as well. Really should've went with Hines as they're a more serious developer, no doubt the garage would've been coming down by now. The city really needs to step it up and get more serious with developers.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 7:42 PM

I just watched a city planning hearing that was about the use of gplet’s that referenced Central Station just at the end of May. Not much talk about it, but for the city to still be reference the project as of a couple weeks ago seems positive, even if it is a small positive. The developer apparently offered a 7% workforce housing but was denied a gplet, but they still talk about the project as if it is about to start construction.

https://youtu.be/VEoIwLL5x4o

Its at 48:23 seconds but the entire beginning talks about absorption rates in the market and demand downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 10:17 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
I just watched a city planning hearing that was about the use of gplet’s that referenced Central Station just at the end of May. Not much talk about it, but for the city to still be reference the project as of a couple weeks ago seems positive, even if it is a small positive. The developer apparently offered a 7% workforce housing but was denied a gplet, but they still talk about the project as if it is about to start construction.

https://youtu.be/VEoIwLL5x4o

Its at 48:23 seconds but the entire beginning talks about absorption rates in the market and demand downtown.
Had no idea that they were going for a GPLET on Central Station.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Had no idea that they were going for a GPLET on Central Station.
Not sure they went for one - just that they offered 7% workforce housing and didn't receive one because of it. That's how I interpreted what she said. Sounded like she was pointing out the project as one where the developers were 'doing the right thing' despite not having the financial incentive.

Interesting that she said Link 3 was 'right behind' Link 2 construction. I'm sure recent events have pushed that out a bit... (convo for diff thread)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 11:04 PM

Update on Central Station from the procurement officer. Medistar is still moving forward with Central Station, but they don't have an official ground breaking date just yet.

Also, the Regency Garage RFP was recently canceled and there are no current plans to reissue that RFP. This sort of aligns with my thoughts that it would have likely been postponed anyway since Berger requested the extension for the Edith. If the city does reissue the RFP, I'm hoping Hines is still in the mix.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 11:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Update on Central Station from the procurement officer. Medistar is still moving forward with Central Station, but they don't have an official ground breaking date just yet.

Also, the Regency Garage RFP was recently canceled and there are no current plans to reissue that RFP. This sort of aligns with my thoughts that it would have likely been postponed anyway since Berger requested the extension for the Edith. If the city does reissue the RFP, I'm hoping Hines is still in the mix.
After this big of a delay, Medistar better have added the hotel portion back to the development!

Hines would have probably started by now even in the face of the epidemic as they were really wanting to push to be completed in time for the Super Bowl. They also have a lot more clout than Berger. I think Phoenix really dropped the ball by selecting Berger for the Regency RFP. I'm not even sure why they just cancel the RFP all together without even going back to see if Hines would still be interested in developing it?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:03 AM
Chase M

Quote:
After this big of a delay, Medistar better have added the hotel portion back to the development!

Hines would have probably started by now even in the face of the epidemic as they were really wanting to push to be completed in time for the Super Bowl. They also have a lot more clout than Berger. I think Phoenix really dropped the ball by selecting Berger for the Regency RFP. I'm not even sure why they just cancel the RFP all together without even going back to see if Hines would still be interested in developing it?
Agreed, Phoenix keeps dropping the ball on these kinds of developments, Central Station, Hyatt Garage, etc. They really need to start getting serious with developers instead of letting them constantly drag their feet. If anything they should revisit Hines and award them the Hyatt RFP as a way to send a message to Berger and other developers that they mean business and that developers will either rise to the challenge and see it through or face the consequences of losing the RFP to someone else.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Back when I emailed the city about the Hyatt Garage RFP and Berger during the middle of 2020, I had a feeling it was going to fall through. So I asked the question if they could potentially just award RFP to Hines if Berger falls through.

The short answer was no, it’s not that simple due to potential legal/liability reasons.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:32 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Back when I emailed the city about the Hyatt Garage RFP and Berger during the middle of 2020, I had a feeling it was going to fall through. So I asked the question if they could potentially just award RFP to Hines if Berger falls through.

The short answer was no, it’s not that simple due to potential legal/liability reasons.
I wonder how that would work...especially if Berger voluntarily pulled out of the RFP. Was there any other developers that submitted a proposal for the Regency RFP? I don't recall. If so, I could see just awarding the RFP to Hines being an issue as the other developer(s) may also still be interested in the development.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I wonder how that would work...especially if Berger voluntarily pulled out of the RFP. Was there any other developers that submitted a proposal for the Regency RFP? I don't recall. If so, I could see just awarding the RFP to Hines being an issue as the other developer(s) may also still be interested in the development.
If I recall correctly, it was just Hines and Berger. I tried to find the Award notice but the City already took the RFP down from their site.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
If I recall correctly, it was just Hines and Berger. I tried to find the Award notice but the City already took the RFP down from their site.
They must have JUST pulled it. It was there a week ago.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:25 AM

Has the city had any successful RFP development lately?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:52 AM
Skyriser

No. Pretty sure the last RFP'd development project was Cityscape, and even that was underwhelming. Block 77 was shortened, Block 22 was way short of the height limit and value engineered, and 23 is about a third the size of what they initially proposed.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
No. Pretty sure the last RFP'd development project was Cityscape, and even that was underwhelming. Block 77 was shortened, Block 22 was way short of the height limit and value engineered, and 23 is about a third the size of what they initially proposed.
The Fillmore was an RFP. But I guess we will see if it's still successful or not since they still need to build the 2nd phase.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 8:06 PM
Skyriser

That's right. They did botch the first RFP tho.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
That's right. They did botch the first RFP tho.
Yeah, that was the one that had to be redone because of conflict of interest issues, right?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 10:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yeah, that was the one that had to be redone because of conflict of interest issues, right?
Correct. Trammell-Crowe got it again the 2nd time around anyway.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:20 PM
Modulator

Looking back at the Fillmore RFP (Project #18-615), there have been pages and pages of permits and plan reviews submitted/approved. I am concerned why no more then 6 have been pulled for Central Station so far with the last one submitted on 5/20/20 with 3 of those having expired.

Surely, multiple permits and plan reviews should have been submitted by now? They can't build anything without having anything reviewed and approved by the city. Right now, I believe there is roughly around a 2 month turn around time on the permit process which means even longer delays once they do start submitting permits.

There has been no explanation as to what the delay is and the city, developer and Valley Metro all seem to be mum about the development delays. Does anyone feel this may actually fall through? Does anyone know if there may be any reported contract or negotiation issues between the city and Medistar? This is nearly the same amount of time that passed for the previous Smith Group proposal and we all know what happened with that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:27 PM

It does seem to have just been forgotten, doesn't it?

Let's be honest with ourselves, any developer penciling a return of less than 10% may have lost the lion's share of it to materials and labor cost increases. It makes perfect sense to me that some developers will simply walk away - I'm sure many will just make adjustments, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest