HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 5:27 PM

Maybe I missed this being talked about on here, but there is a pretty nice revamp coming for the Station Square LRT/bus/incline station. Seems like it is likely to be funded by the new infrastructure bill:

https://www.portauthority.org/inside...ement-project/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 12:21 AM

From PBT: PNC to purchase Skinny and Roberts buildings

By Tim Schooley – Reporter, Pittsburgh Business Times
Aug 10, 2021 Updated 38 minutes ago

PNC Financial Services Group Inc. (NYSE: PNC) is working to buy a block of small commercial buildings across Wood Street from its headquarters downtown.

After a couple mystery buyers bought most of the rest of a strategic block of Wood Street in the spring, PNC is on the agenda for the August board meeting of the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh to buy 429-431 Wood Street and 241 Forbes Ave., which includes the Roberts Building and the Skinny Building, from the city agency.

When asked about the the financial institution's interest in buying the two buildings and whether they were part of a larger plan, a spokeswoman confirmed that PNC has been seeking to buy the rest of the properties in the block of Wood Street.

"We made very fair offers to all the building owners on the block, though not all have elected to sell at this time," said Marcey Zwiebel, PNC's director of corporate relations, in an email. "PNC has purchased a collection of buildings on Wood Street and plans to redevelop them for mixed-use space that will support its employees as well as the downtown Pittsburgh community as a whole."

Other properties in the block have also been sold as well, records indicate, to corporate entities for which the true ownership has been unclear.

Other properties in the block have also been sold as well, records indicate, to corporate entities for which the true ownership has been unclear.

The URA estimates total development costs of $6.1 million for the project by PNC, including $4.8 million of direct investment in the buildings, which were deemed of sufficient historic value that Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation invested more than $500,000 in state grant money to help to renovate the two buildings in 2014.

Zwiebel further explained PNC's plans for the property, which suggested refurbishing and renovating the existing buildings instead of a larger redevelopment plan.

"As the bank continues to grow and acquire new talent, our continued development on Wood Street will allow us to procure additional employee office and amenity space while also offering us the unique opportunity to pilot new office concepts," she said. "Additionally, our plans will provide an opportunity for us to support local businesses and artists in a way that we believe will bring a renewed vibrancy to this corridor of downtown Pittsburgh. We look forward to redeveloping the acquired buildings for these purposes and to furthering our investment in our hometown."

PNC's buy of the two buildings comes after a building in the middle of the block, a mature mostly empty building at 439 Wood St. that was a former Isaly's store years ago, sold for $2.76 million, more than five times its county assessed value. The buyer was Driver Developers LLC, whose actual ownership has never been fully revealed before being confirmed as a buy by PNC.

Along with the two URA-owned properties it expects to buy, Zwiebel confirmed that PNC has also bought 433 and 439 Wood Street.

Agenda materials detail the URA board is slated to vote Thursday on a deal for the authority to sell the two Wood Street buildings to a PNC affiliate called Home Town Real Estate LLC at a price for $1.3 million for them both.

The URA agenda materials for Thursday's meeting detail a host of requirements included in the deal to preserve and maintain the buildings. According to the agenda, the URA "will retain the air rights and transfer of development rights" to the site.

The agenda details that "the URA will enter into a 99-year covenant agreement with PNC to protect the facades and prevent a future owner from demolishing the buildings" and that "PNC will use good faith efforts by working directly with URA staff to complete the exterior work (including facades) in a manner consistent with URA’s Main Street facade guidelines." That's expected to include new lighting on both buildings.

The URA estimates total development costs of $6.1 million for the project by PNC, including $4.8 million of direct investment in the buildings, which were deemed of sufficient historic value that Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation invested more than $500,000 in state grant money to help to renovate the two buildings in 2014.

Zwiebel further explained PNC's plans for the property, which suggested refurbishing and renovating the existing buildings instead of a larger redevelopment plan.

"As the bank continues to grow and acquire new talent, our continued development on Wood Street will allow us to procure additional employee office and amenity space while also offering us the unique opportunity to pilot new office concepts," she said. "Additionally, our plans will provide an opportunity for us to support local businesses and artists in a way that we believe will bring a renewed vibrancy to this corridor of downtown Pittsburgh. We look forward to redeveloping the acquired buildings for these purposes and to furthering our investment in our hometown."

PNC's buy of the two buildings comes after a building in the middle of the block, a mature mostly empty building at 439 Wood St. that was a former Isaly's store years ago, sold for $2.76 million, more than five times its county assessed value. The buyer was Driver Developers LLC, whose actual ownership has never been fully revealed before being confirmed as a buy by PNC.

Last edited by DKNewYork; Aug 11, 2021 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Add byline

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 2:57 PM

Posted on Hollow Oak Land Trust's facebook page:

Quote:
Construction of the Montour Run Bridge will begin August 23rd. This is the largest project in our 30-year history and construction is expected to be completed by early fall.
This 200-foot bridge will connect the Montour Trail to the trail system at Montour Woods and to Moon Park. This new amenity will fill a key recreational gap, encouraging more people to experience nature firsthand.

Please be aware that the Cave Trail, portions of Hemlocks Trail, and portions of Meeks Run Trail will be closed at times for safety during the construction.

The Hassam Road parking lot will be open during construction, but trail users will be encouraged to access Montour Woods via the Downing Drive or the Nike Road parking area during construction.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:12 PM

I found a cool new project on the OPDC site - plans to construct a new six-story, 80-unit LGBTQ+ senior housing apartment building in Oakland being built by Presbyterian Senior Care/Rothschild Doyno. The location is one of the several long-vacant sites in the "Oakland Portal" zone, by the corner of Forbes and Craft. The building itself is an L-shape taking up a triangular portion of the parcel on Forbes, but it also includes some greenspace and hardscaping heading out onto Craft. The plan still seems to be in the "rough draft" stage - not sure if we should take anything regarding the design and color choices as being meaningful at this point.

I also see here that Pitt is still planning on building Walnut Capital's research tower in Oakland, although they will use part of the space for educational purposes.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 10:19 PM

Local Census numbers dropped today. Lots to talk about.

1. Allegheny County unexpectedly grew by 27,350 (2.2%). This is the first growth of the county as a whole since 1960. It was enough to actually make the MSA as a whole grow by 14,45 (0.6%) - also the first growth since 1960.

2. The city of Pittsburgh unfortunately did not grow, but it didn't shrink by much. In 2020 it had a population of 302,971, meaning it lost 2,733, or about 0.8%, over 2010. I think we have turned a corner and will see growth in the 2020s.

3. As for what caused the small decline, it's basically two elements. One, the SCI prison closed on the North Side, which was directly the cause of the loss of 1,800 residents. The other was a major percentage decline in black residents, with the city losing 10,660.

I have not seen a neighborhood breakdown yet, but I did see one by City Council district. The districts of Gross and Strassburger both grew considerably. Lavelle's district also grew slightly, but it is no longer majority black (likely almost all of the growth was in Downtown/Oakland). Bobby Wilson's district on the North Side lost a lot of people (due to the SCI closure) as did Ricky Burgess's district (Greater Homewood continuing to empty out). The other four districts all shrunk 1%-2%.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Local Census numbers dropped today. Lots to talk about.

1. Allegheny County unexpectedly grew by 27,350 (2.2%). This is the first growth of the county as a whole since 1960. It was enough to actually make the MSA as a whole grow by 14,45 (0.6%) - also the first growth since 1960.

2. The city of Pittsburgh unfortunately did not grow, but it didn't shrink by much. In 2020 it had a population of 302,971, meaning it lost 2,733, or about 0.8%, over 2010. I think we have turned a corner and will see growth in the 2020s.

3. As for what caused the small decline, it's basically two elements. One, the SCI prison closed on the North Side, which was directly the cause of the loss of 1,800 residents. The other was a major percentage decline in black residents, with the city losing 10,660.

I have not seen a neighborhood breakdown yet, but I did see one by City Council district. The districts of Gross and Strassburger both grew considerably. Lavelle's district also grew slightly, but it is no longer majority black (likely almost all of the growth was in Downtown/Oakland). Bobby Wilson's district on the North Side lost a lot of people (due to the SCI closure) as did Ricky Burgess's district (Greater Homewood continuing to empty out). The other four districts all shrunk 1%-2%.
This is a really big deal. Looking forward to Chris Briem's take on things here.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
This is a really big deal. Looking forward to Chris Briem's take on things here.
Chris Briem posted this earlier:

East Liberty is no longer majority black. I think it's ended up around 42% black, 41% white

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:39 PM

A lot more Black residents left Pittsburgh after April 2020, didn't they? I wonder if the city's population is still above 300,000 as of today.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:00 PM

The City as a whole also appears to be continuing to diversify beyond white/Black. According to Briem, for the City:

Asian-alone population up from 13,465 to 19,836, or +6,371 (+47.3%)
Hispanic population up from 6,964 to 11,620 or +4,656 (+66.9%)
Multi-race population up from 7,688 to 17,979 or +10,291 (+134%)

Versus:

Black-alone population down from 79,710 to 69,050 or -10,660 (-13.4%)

I don't think he posted white-alone, but the above adds up to a net +10,658. Since the City was down 2,733, presumably the white-alone population dropped some too.

On the whole, I see this as mostly a positive for Pittsburgh. I don't of course want to see any ethnic group dropping per se, but I suspect a lot of that is just the older legacy population which was much more white/Black tailing off and being replaced by a more broadly diverse younger population, including a lot of people new to the region.

Briem, though, also thinks that when you look at the Allegheny County data, it looks like some younger Black families may be moving out of the City into the suburbs. That's not necessarily a terrible thing either, since pretty much always there is some such effect. Indeed, assuming I am right about the overall dynamic, we should eventually be seeing young Asian, Hispanic, and mixed-race families moving out to the suburbs. All of which is fine as long as the pipeline keeps attracting more new people.

But nonetheless. I think we need to be keeping an eye on housing affordability, which in turn is primarily a function of building enough new units to keep up with demand. Meaning it would be a bit of a bummer if there were people who really wanted to be living in the City, but couldn't because we were not building enough new units to allow for that.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Maybe I missed this being talked about on here, but there is a pretty nice revamp coming for the Station Square LRT/bus/incline station. Seems like it is likely to be funded by the new infrastructure bill:

https://www.portauthority.org/inside...ement-project/
When you think about it, that is really one of the coolest multi-modal transit stations around (short of cities which have urban gondolas, I suppose). So nice to see it getting some TLC, with better integration of the Incline alone being a really nice feature to me.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
I found a cool new project on the OPDC site - plans to construct a new six-story, 80-unit LGBTQ+ senior housing apartment building in Oakland being built by Presbyterian Senior Care/Rothschild Doyno. The location is one of the several long-vacant sites in the "Oakland Portal" zone, by the corner of Forbes and Craft. The building itself is an L-shape taking up a triangular portion of the parcel on Forbes, but it also includes some greenspace and hardscaping heading out onto Craft. The plan still seems to be in the "rough draft" stage - not sure if we should take anything regarding the design and color choices as being meaningful at this point.
Nice. That corner tower thingy would basically be 7 stories tall, and if it came together well it would be a nice gateway feature.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:38 PM

Okay, it took some time, but I managed to crunch the numbers by census tract. This doesn't give us neighborhood-level granularity everywhere. I believe that all Pittsburgh neighborhoods were based upon census tracts back in 2000, but the Census has been merging low-population tracts for some time, meaning I can't crunch the numbers of the smaller neighborhoods. on the other hand, some of the bigger neighborhoods can be given added granularity here. It looks like the actual boundaries changed a bit (beyond mergers) in Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar and the South Side Slopes, so those numbers may be off.

For every tract, I listed the numeric gain/loss. The map also uses blue and red to signify percentage gains and losses, with darker shades of red meaning deeper losses, and darker shades of blue bigger gains. Colors are in 5% increments.

Going round the city:

Central: Simply massive growth in Downtown and the Strip District. Surprisingly there was some growth in parts of the Hill District, but this was canceled out by losses elsewhere. Oakland's gains were more mediocre than I had expected, which may have to do with the pandemic and less students being in housing. Uptown had a big decline, which is probably due to variance in the population of the County Jail.

Upper East End: Notable nodes of growth in Lower/Central Lawrenceville, East Liberty, Bakery Square area, and parts of Bloomfield (by the new apartment building. Garfield came very close to growing, which really surprised me. The Greater Homewood area continued to hemorrhage population however, other than Homewood South, where the new construction came very close to ending the decline.

Lower East End: Overall modest growth here. The large growth in a portion of North of Forbes surprised me. This is the area around Chatham's campus, and may have to do with student housing. The most student-slummy portion of Squirrel Hill shrunk a bit, but the rest grew. Greenfield as a whole came very close to growing. Hazelwood is still declining significantly.

South Pittsburgh: As expected, little to no growth outside of South Side Flats, but the rate of decline was lower than I expected. Carrick actually gained population - I have to wonder if the Nepalese refugees played a role, as the tract with significant growth is now the most Asian part of Carrick (8.7%).

West End: Shockingly, the Greater West End grew over the last decade - albeit only by 7 people. It's hard to say where this growth was with the data I have, because so many neighborhoods are merged by the Census in the West End.

North Side: Very disappointing numbers overall, even taking out of consideration the massive decline caused by the closure of SCI prison. It looks like the additional inhabited apartment in Allegheny Center did cause significant growth - and unlike what I said last night, Central North Side did grow a bit. But almost everywhere else in the North Side experienced steep declines. I'm not sure what's going on in the tract which includes Northview Heights and Summer Hill. There was a new mini-development in Summer Hill this decade, but I thought it only had maybe two dozen houses. I suppose more people are living in Northview Heights? Most of the North Side seems to have declined at a rate between 5% and 10% for the decade, with Fineview declining more (due to the paring down of Allegheny Dwellings) and Brighton Heights and Marshall Shadeland (excepting the prison) declining by less.]

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Okay, it took some time, but I managed to crunch the numbers by census tract.
Awesome. Thank you so much for doing this.

Grab bag of thoughts:

(1) Just in terms of topography, transit access, and general location, Larimer and Homewood have so much potential. Obviously that area has a complex history, but it would be so great if it could evolve into a relatively affordable East End option over time without necessarily going full East Liberty.

(2) Same basic thought about Manchester, the flatter part of California-Kirkbride, and possibly Chateau.

(3) Uptown and the adjacent Hill areas too.

(4) Finally, maybe the most challenging on this list, but I would love to see the South Pittsburgh Hilltop neighborhoods really get in on the action.

Basically, those are the areas currently in pink to red that are nonetheless adjacent to blue areas, and which stand out to me as possible directions in which relatively affordable development could head.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
(1) Just in terms of topography, transit access, and general location, Larimer and Homewood have so much potential. Obviously that area has a complex history, but it would be so great if it could evolve into a relatively affordable East End option over time without necessarily going full East Liberty.
Larimer's loss is notable considering a new apartment building was constructed this decade and there was a lot of infill townhouse development as well. There's clearly still a massive number of houses being abandoned on the outer fringes of the neighborhood, where it's already down to in some cases only a few remaining homes on each block. But at some point it's almost all going to become urban prairie aside from the infill, and then there's nowhere to go but up.

Homewood South is pretty close to stabilization now I think - and it has the best transit access in Homewood. I think fixing Homewood West and North is a long way off - which is a shame, because the housing stock in Homewood North is actually quite nice (like a run down, slightly more modest Friendship). I don't think Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar or East Hills have any hope in the near future.

Quote:
(2) Same basic thought about Manchester, the flatter part of California-Kirkbride, and possibly Chateau.
Hard to say what happened here since the Census merged the tracks with Manchester and Chateau. But I haven't seen any signs that Manchester is notably getting worse. A few new market-rate homes are being built every year, and blighted homes are fixed up and flipped. I think it's slowly getting whiter and household size is shrinking. The combined tract for both neighborhoods is down to 63% black, and considering California-Kirkbride is probably much more heavily black, that means Manchester may be down around 50%.

Quote:
(3) Uptown and the adjacent Hill areas too.
Uptown may not have shrunk once you take out group quarters - I just don't have the information to make that determination. Though a lot of the new development is on the north side of Fifth Avenue, which technically puts it in Crawford Roberts (part of why that neighborhood treaded water this decade). If you discount the massive thinning out of Terrace Village (much of which was planned) it really doesn't seem like the Hill District did that bad overall.

Quote:
(4) Finally, maybe the most challenging on this list, but I would love to see the South Pittsburgh Hilltop neighborhoods really get in on the action.
I feel like having another working-class immigrant group like the Bhutanese in Carrick would help the Southern Hilltop. I see Mt. Oliver is over 5% Latino now - maybe it can develop into a Latino neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:

Very informative!

BTW that dark blue area with a 1,898 increase does not correspond to the entire Golden Triangle, as it should also include a western portion of the adjacent light red area. This so-called "Triangle" actually looks more like an arrow.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Very informative!

BTW that dark blue area with a 1,898 increase does not correspond to the entire Golden Triangle, as it should also include a western portion of the adjacent light red area. This so-called "Triangle" actually looks more like an arrow.
Nope. The city lobbied the Census and got the former Civic Arena site taken out of the downtown census tract and added to the Lower Hill census tract.

I made this modification to the pop numbers to account for this.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Nope. The city lobbied the Census and got the former Civic Arena site taken out of the downtown census tract and added to the Lower Hill census tract.

I made this modification to the pop numbers to account for this.
I believe everything you said. All I was pointing out was that the Golden Triangle is the arrow-shaped region highlighted in red below:

Image source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Pittsburgh

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:

]
Thanks for the work.

The dark red spot in The Hill District is where the Addison Terrace public housing development once stood. During the 2010's it was transformed into a lower density subsidized housing development consisting primarily of townhouses. So the loss of units of housing meant that the population there had to go down. Almost all of it African American.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 2:43 AM

are AAs just moving out of the city or out of the region altogether?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
are AAs just moving out of the city or out of the region altogether?
Understanding this data doesn't track on an individual level--Briem is reporting the parts of Allegheny County outside the City had a 15% increase in the Black-alone population.

So it looks like a lot of the decrease of the Black-alone population in the City is just Black families moving to the nearer suburbs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations