HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:42 PM

Rendering of new SCAD Student Housing from Midtown DRC.

http://www.midtownatl.com/about/prog...2017-drc-recap

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^The skywalk and the parking deck are not part of the building. The sidewalk is also not part of the building.
I have one lazy eye and the other is bloodshot, but this appears to be one structure with the same address.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I have one lazy eye and the other is bloodshot, but this appears to be one structure with the same address.
Sometimes I don't know whether you are just trolling or are serious. The parking deck and skywalk were clearly tacked on later to accommodate automobile commuters, with little concern for matching the architectural style, materials, or quality of the original building. You can clearly see this in the images you have posted. I don't think anyone would be upset if the parking deck were redeveloped.

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/do...trial_life.htm

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Sometimes I don't know whether you are just trolling or are serious. The parking deck and skywalk were clearly tacked on later to accommodate automobile commuters, with little concern for matching the architectural style, materials, or quality of the original building. You can clearly see this in the images you have posted. I don't think anyone would be upset if the parking deck were redeveloped.

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/do...trial_life.htm
Honest to god, can't you folks on here recognize humor/sarcasm?

You are correct jwbab - the parking deck was "tacked on" and nobody stopped it. Therefore it is now ONE structure - not TWO. If some developer was dropped from the heavens to do an adaptive reuse on this building, what do you believe is the likelihood they would tear down the parking garage and build a new one - because commercial buildings in the COA require parking?

Net, net - no developer will ever touch this building. The land value and taxes are to high for this to make economic sense. Not mention nobody is in the market for condos or loft style offices with 8 foot ceilings and small windows nestled in a sea of parking lots.

So what everyone on here is arguing for is lack of progress because if you are successful (0% chance) then the COA will be left with an 85 year old building that will continue to decay for many decades to come.

And I am the troll?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:14 PM

I honestly don't know what you guys see in some of these old buildings. If you ask me those cornices are nice but there's nothing else worth keeping. It's just a box with some column-like panels tacked on. The street presence sucks, the windows on the ground floor don't line up, it has no depth or symmetry, and the north facade is absolutely hideous. I think I'll skip the vigil for that one.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:

You are correct jwbab - the parking deck was "tacked on" and nobody stopped it. Therefore it is now ONE structure - not TWO. If some developer was dropped from the heavens to do an adaptive reuse on this building, what do you believe is the likelihood they would tear down the parking garage and build a new one - because commercial buildings in the COA require parking?

Net, net - no developer will ever touch this building. The land value and taxes are to high for this to make economic sense. Not mention nobody is in the market for condos or loft style offices with 8 foot ceilings and small windows nestled in a sea of parking lots.

So what everyone on here is arguing for is lack of progress because if you are successful (0% chance) then the COA will be left with an 85 year old building that will continue to decay for many decades to come.

And I am the troll?
Feel free to push your own prerogative at your NPU and planning meetings. We'll continue to do the same at ours.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I honestly don't know what you guys see in some of these old buildings. If you ask me those cornices are nice but there's nothing else worth keeping. It's just a box with some column-like panels tacked on. The street presence sucks, the windows on the ground floor don't line up, it has no depth or symmetry, and the north facade is absolutely hideous. I think I'll skip the vigil for that one.
I think a big issue here is Emory hasn't released their plans. All we know is that demolition is imminent, yet again, with no public knowledge of what/if anything is to come. BoZ Plaza wasn't built like a horrendous waste of space, the north and eastern facades wouldn't be an issue as they'd be covered with similar buildings directly adjacent.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:22 PM

Where country music was born

Now, THIS is a building worth saving. I mean, Margaritaville? Seriously?

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/8/9/...margaritaville

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Apparently not. Most of us are just really stupid uneducated yokels.
Quote:
You are correct jwbab - the parking deck was "tacked on" and nobody stopped it. Therefore it is now ONE structure - not TWO.
That's not really how it works. Unless they depend on each other for structural integrity, one can be removed and the other remain. Is this not obvious? Are you saying you could not remove one without the other?
Quote:
If some developer was dropped from the heavens to do an adaptive reuse on this building, what do you believe is the likelihood they would tear down the parking garage and build a new one - because commercial buildings in the COA require parking?

This is just speculation. Neither you nor I have any inside information about what is or is not possible here. Do you really think no one understands that economic realities present constraints on what is possible when considering adaptive reuse?

Maybe this building cannot feasibly be re-purposed. If that is the case, I am fine with that. But I think the default position should be to make a good faith effort to save our old stock of buildings. I don't understand why this is controversial?
Quote:
And I am the troll?
Yes. Making repeated "humor/sarcasm" posts on a topic, trying to goad a response, is the definition of trolling.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Feel free to push your own prerogative at your NPU and planning meetings. We'll continue to do the same at ours.
I don't have a prerogative SA, but I am sincerely trying to understand yours and the others. Help me...

Do you honestly believe there is a developer willing to take on the expense of purchasing the land and building, renovation costs, taxes (an acre of land here is $10+ Million = lot's of property taxes), tearing down the parking garage and skywalk - building a new parking garage and god knows what else....?

Because if you don't believe there is a developer out there to take this project on and you still want to forbid Emory to demo the building for a new structure, then you are agreeing to let an 85 year old building sit there and continue to decay and shit up the neighborhood.

To me that means you are against progress and that is where I do have a prerogative. Make sense?

Furthermore, someone stated they have been trying to get historic classification on this building since 2008. Has is dawned on anyone the powers that be don't deem this structure as historic? Surely it doesn't take 9+ years for this process.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Apparently not. Most of us are just really stupid uneducated yokels.
I can assure you jwbab my level of education, profession and financial standing does not make me an uneducated yokel. Nor am I a robot or a person with autism that would prevent me from reading a post on an internet forum and seeing the difference between someone being humorous vs trolling. Most especially this "uneducated yokel" has a knack for spotting @$$holes.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe there is a developer willing to take on the expense of purchasing the land and building, renovation costs, taxes (an acre of land here is $10+ Million = lot's of property taxes), tearing down the parking garage and skywalk - building a new parking garage and god knows what else....?
Yes. Yes I do. Glad we could wrap up this conversation.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:38 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
Rendering of new SCAD Student Housing from Midtown DRC.

http://www.midtownatl.com/about/prog...2017-drc-recap
When are they planning to start on this?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:40 PM

Can't we all just get along? Aren't we too busy to hate?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:46 PM

Integral Group filed a permit today for:

Quote:
Proposal to construction 225 units of student housing on the undeveloped parcel at 556 Centennial Olympic Park Drive
Link: https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

This is up closer to North Avenue by Georgia Tech across from the dorms that were built for the Olympics.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Integral Group filed a permit today for:

Link: https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

This is up closer to North Avenue by Georgia Tech across from the dorms that were built for the Olympics.
Ohh, I hope they're finally moving forward with this! They rezoned that lot way back in 2015.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Yes. Yes I do. Glad we could wrap up this conversation.
Slow down SA - this "uneducated yokel" doesn't move fast unless I am behind the wheel or the sheets.

First of all that is awesome you are highly confident a developer(s) would be lined up for the challenges of such an "historic" and costly endeavor. I am really curious the name of the developer(s) you think would be up for the task. I really would love to see their other work as I am a fan of adaptive reuse developments.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Ohh, I hope they're finally moving forward with this! They rezoned that lot way back in 2015.

The subject parcel is in red. Do you know if there are any plans for the abutting vacant parcel at 168 North Ave? Seems like I remember hearing GT had plans to put a dorm there.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:15 PM

^Hmm, I was under the impression that it's just one project. Maybe this portion just doesn't front North Ave? The proposal from 2015 was for:
Building A: 87,800sqft. 6 stories. 80' tall. 172 studio apts.
Building B: 116,200sqft. 7 stories. 90' tall. 228 studio apts.
Building C: 236,000sqft. 14 stories. 149' tall. 320 1br apts, 100 2br apts.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
Can't we all just get along? Aren't we too busy to hate?
P2 Thank You!!! Of course the folks attacking me aren't to busy to hate. As matter of fact I pulled Shivtim, Street Advocate and Jwbab's calendars and let's just let the facts speak for themselves...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations