HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montréal is actually at 18. With about as many in the off island suburbs.

Montreal has been very low in recent years but it has not always been that way.

What would Montreal be if it had annexed the areas left out like Pointe-Claire and Montréal-Est? Also I find it odd they aren't part of Montreal, why is't the entire Island amalgamated?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:40 PM

Montreal had the most active bomb squad on the continent at one time I believe. This was back in the biker war days. Glad that city is much calmer these days and I hope it stays that way.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
What would Montreal be if it had annexed the areas left out like Pointe-Claire and Montréal-Est? Also I find it odd they aren't part of Montreal, why is't the entire Island amalgamated?
The spvm covers the entire island. Plus ile bizzard and nuns island.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
The spvm covers the entire island. Plus ile bizzard and nuns island.
And including Pointe-Claire and Montréal-Est (referred to by another poster).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 12:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
It is wrong nowadays, though. Men certainly don't need to do that to be seductive to women.
Even though it still might work, depending on how you look or act while doing it. Women are weird sometimes, hard to understand. They are very subtle and sensitive to the atmosphere and your personal touch at a given moment. I find it fascinating.
But "butt-pinching" is only some old Mediterranean/Catholic sexist tradition. You know, things like Spanish patriarchal habits. They still think they are entitled Don Juan, no matter how bad they smell.
That sucks. Lots of women actually dislike it, cause it makes them feel as if they were sexual slaves/objects.

It has to be reported as crime/sexual assault in stats. They had it coming. Bad Libertine customs are harshly punished in the end.
It basically no longer exists here. At least no more than in the rest of North America and Western Europe.

Though I do know it still persists to some degree in certain parts of Europe like Greece.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:51 PM

18 now for Brampton bringing Peel Region to 27, tying the record with 2008.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
why is't the entire Island amalgamated?
People in the West Island didn't want to be part of the new megacity.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:09 PM

It's so strange, seeing as they are surrounded by the city limits now.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The entire island (including the West Island) was initially amalgamated, but the Quebec Liberals - who were not the party of mergers - decided it would be a good electoral play to allow any municipality that had been merged by the previous government to "de-merge".

They imposed thresholds that needed to be met. In most places they were not but a few West Island municipalities got the numbers, as did Montréal-Est way out in the east end and I believe once small (now enclaved) municipality in Quebec City (L'Ancienne-Lorette?). None of the former cities that make up Gatineau got the numbers.

The West Island de-merged cities still share a whole bunch of stuff with Montreal though: police, transit, paramedic services, etc. They're only a step or two up from the city proper's boroughs (arrondissements).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:00 PM

That whole Montreal thing is confusing. We lend on tonnes of apartments and commercial buildings out there. When I see the city in the address and it's not Montreal I ask where the heck is that? But then I just assume it's a de-amalgamated city on the Island and that's usually correct. Though I imagine sometimes it's a community that technically is a part of Montreal but uses their name as the city in the address like Woodbridge, Maple, Concord, Kleinburg in Vaughan.

When you look at the city boundaries around Montreal in google maps it looks like a few enclaves with odd looking borders much like is common all over the US, but not nearly as bad as the US.

The US is absolutely ridiculous with their border lines and each little town and city and county having its own mayor, police force, etc. Their borders zig and zag all over the place. Must be super confusing for figuring out jurisdiction.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
That whole Montreal thing is confusing. We lend on tonnes of apartments and commercial buildings out there. When I see the city in the address and it's not Montreal I ask where the heck is that? But then I just assume it's a de-amalgamated city on the Island and that's usually correct. Though I imagine sometimes it's a community that technically is a part of Montreal but uses their name as the city in the address like Woodbridge, Maple, Concord, Kleinburg in Vaughan.
Some of the de-merged municipalities on Montreal Island have decent-sized populations. Dollard-des-Ormeaux has 50,000 people, whereas Côte-St-Luc has about 35,000 people.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

When you look at the city boundaries around Montreal in google maps it looks like a few enclaves with odd looking borders much like is common all over the US, but not nearly as bad as the US.

Before the initial merger there were 28 municipalities on the island of Montreal.

After the Liberals allowed the de-merger, 14 municipalities left the merged Montreal megacity. So at the moment there are 15 municipalities on the island.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

The US is absolutely ridiculous with their border lines and each little town and city and county having its own mayor, police force, etc. Their borders zig and zag all over the place. Must be super confusing for figuring out jurisdiction.
The Boston area is just insane in this respect, though Vancouver is no slouch either.

What's also freaky in some parts of the U.S. is how you have a town that sits across two municipalities. So the Town of Rockburn (which often actually has some administrative functions) sits astride the City of Conklin and the City of Jefferson. Both of which also have administrative functions.

You also have in some states cities that sit astride county boundaries. Again, the counties are not just lines on a map - they have a role in governing things.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:52 PM

When towns grow organically and there's civic pride, it's a tough pill to swallow when you get gobbled up into another city.

But the people who must be the most annoyed are city administrators. It must bug them when they see border lines that don't cleanly follow major roads or rivers and cut through parks, open fields, cemeteries and the middle of residential neighbourhoods.

If I recall correctly, pre-mega city Toronto's boroughs followed fairly clean lines but Montreal's history and geography makes for a very different dynamic. Plus 29 municipalities on the island vs. 6 for Metro Toronto. I do wonder how so many towns came about on the island and why TO didn't grow the same way. What if each major community in TO's boroughs were their own towns like Rexdale, Willowdale, Malvern, Weston, Mimico, York Mills, Danforth, Leaside, etc.

Last edited by megadude; Dec 10, 2019 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:23 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
If I recall correctly, pre-mega city Toronto's boroughs followed fairly clean lines but Montreal's history and geography makes for a very different dynamic.

Etobicoke (Humber River) and Scarborough (Victoria Park) do, but the Toronto-York-North York-East York border was pretty messy. Zigzagging through backyards, minor residential streets, etc. They're a bit non-sensical (as was whoever thought it was a good idea to name 3 different places York. Not to be confused of course with York Region just to the north).

Growing up on the North York-Toronto border, I remember how some blocks would have North York's orange street lights at one end, and would then switch to Toronto's white lights halfway through. Not sure if they've all been modernized to whiter LEDs at this point though.

Last edited by MonkeyRonin; Dec 10, 2019 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:28 PM
sick transit, gloria

^That's exactly what I was thinking of too. It's a weirdly non-trivial thing to get find exact boundaries of the old Boroughs in some areas as the modern ward boundaries and planning districts often don't line up (though they do make more sense!).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
When towns grow organically and there's civic pride, it's a tough pill to swallow when you get gobbled up into another city.

But the people who must be the most annoyed are city administrators. It must bug them when they see border lines that don't cleanly follow major roads or rivers and cut through parks, open fields, cemeteries and the middle of residential neighbourhoods.

If I recall correctly, pre-mega city Toronto's boroughs followed fairly clean lines but Montreal's history and geography makes for a very different dynamic. Plus 29 municipalities on the island vs. 6 for Metro Toronto. I do wonder how so many towns came about on the island and why TO didn't grow the same way. What if each major community in TO's boroughs were their own towns like Rexdale, Willowdale, Malvern, Weston, Mimico, York Mills, Danforth, Leaside, etc.
Montréal is special, it's a city, an urban agglomeration, and an administrative region. When you're on the island, you're in Montréal, much easier to see it that way.

The agglomeration of Montreal is governed by the Agglomeration Council. The council is composed of the Mayor of Montreal, 15 elected members of the Montreal City Council and 15 representatives of the cities of the suburbs of Montreal. The 15 seats in suburban cities are divided by one seat per city, except Dorval and L'Île-Dorval, which share one representative, and Dollard-des-Ormeaux, which has two representatives because of its size. The president of the agglomeration is the Mayor of Montreal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_...on_of_Montreal

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:

If I recall correctly, pre-mega city Toronto's boroughs followed fairly clean lines but Montreal's history and geography makes for a very different dynamic. Plus 29 municipalities on the island vs. 6 for Metro Toronto. I do wonder how so many towns came about on the island and why TO didn't grow the same way. What if each major community in TO's boroughs were their own towns like Rexdale, Willowdale, Malvern, Weston, Mimico, York Mills, Danforth, Leaside, etc
They actually were. I believe at some point Mimico and Leaside, and perhaps a few others, were independent municipalities, but were annexed into their surrounding boroughs at some point in the 20th century.

EDIT: Looked it up. When the Metro government was formed in 1953, New Toronto, Mimico, Weston, Leaside, Long Branch, Swansea and Forest Hill were independent municipalities, alongside the City of Toronto and the five townships of Etobicoke, York, North York, East York, and Scarborough. So there were initially 13 municipalities in what is now Toronto. They were amalgamated down to the 6 in a reorganization in 1967.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
They're a bit non-sensical (as was whoever thought it was a good idea to name 3 different places York. Not to be confused of course with York Region just to the north).
Originally there was a singular "York Township" and over time East York and North York were carved off from it, and part of it that centered on Yonge Street became part of "Old"-Toronto, with the remainder keeping the name "York". Which led to the confusing mix of names and boundaries.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:42 AM

3 in Montreal?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada