HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:22 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I have dealt with electric heat before, and it is significantly more expensive than gas heat. I am all for getting rid of gas stoves and ovens in the home (electric ovens and induction stove tops work just as good if not better than gas, and no carbon monoxide to deal with), but until atmospheric heat pump technology gets better (electric resistance heating is an absolute non starter) and every home is equipped with solar panels and a home battery, its simply not economical to heat with electric in Chicago winters at the moment.
I'm no expert but cold climate heat pump technology has come a long way in the last few years as far as I understand.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:58 AM
BANNED

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2024/1/...oulias-preston

Illinois bill seeks to ban food additives linked to health issues
The five additives, including red dye No. 3, would be banned from retail sales of foods and beverages in Illinois by 2027.

By Stephanie Zimmermann Jan 22, 2024, 3:24pm CST

Examples of products containing red dye 3 or titanium dioxide,...

Five potentially harmful ingredients commonly found in food and drinks would be banned from retail sales in Illinois under proposed legislation that goes further than California’s first-in-the-nation ban on additives.

Senate Bill 2637, introduced by state Sen. Willie Preston, D-Chicago, and backed by Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias, would ban brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben and red dye No. 3 — four additives that California outlawed in October.

Preston said he’ll amend the bill, which was filed in November, to also ban titanium dioxide from foods and beverages.

Last edited by bnk; Jan 23, 2024 at 11:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Illinois is planning on phasing out fossil fuel power generation by 2050, no?
"Planning" is the operative word. If we built one new nuclear power plant per year from now to 2050 we might get there. But we won't, and everyone knows it. Without natural gas, there is no way this state handles -6 degree temperatures for days in January with all heat being electric. There will be blackouts. But the monied elite don't care. They will be somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I refuse to cook with electricity and will flout any ban. Ill use propane if I have to.
I've always had an electric oven and just deal with the 20 minute warmup time, but agreed, I refuse to ever have an electric cook top. A propane retrofit would not be hard.

Last edited by aaron38; Jan 23, 2024 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Five potentially harmful ingredients commonly found in food and drinks would be banned from retail sales in Illinois under proposed legislation that goes further than California’s first-in-the-nation ban on additives.
My inclination is to have truth in labeling and let the people make their own choices. But if Democrats feel that people are too dumb for that, then at least having my snacks not be bright colors doesn't make my pipes burst in January. No objection, just don't raise my property taxes while doing it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 4:13 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
"Planning" is the operative word. If we built one new nuclear power plant per year from now to 2050 we might get there. But we won't, and everyone knows it. Without natural gas, there is no way this state handles -6 degree temperatures for days in January with all heat being electric. There will be blackouts. But the monied elite don't care. They will be somewhere else.

I've always had an electric oven and just deal with the 20 minute warmup time, but agreed, I refuse to ever have an electric cook top. A propane retrofit would not be hard.
Induction is faster than gas.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Induction is faster than gas.
Yep - Doesn't help much in the oven space, but I've used induction before in a rental in Denver and it was beyond amazing. I would put it above gas any day.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Science can do a lot in 25 years. Tank-less water heaters, induction ovens, and heat pumps have come a long way in the past 25 years. Never say never.

I also think most would be happy if we could be 100% no fossil fuels with the exception of the 1-4 days a year the temperature goes below 0.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:32 AM
1st Ward

Induction is absolutely faster than gas. I am in the restaurant industry and I know many people (myself included) who have removed their natural gas burners in place of induction. It is just as responsive as gas, heat quicker, and much more efficient from a cost perspective.

As for electric ovens, I have one at home and it heats and cooks just as fast as the gas range at my parents house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I'm no expert but cold climate heat pump technology has come a long way in the last few years as far as I understand.
That's great to hear! My experience with them was from several years ago (pre pandemic) and I recall it being pretty expensive to operate as well as slow when it came to heating a space.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 7:44 AM

On another note, J.B Pritzker seems highly upset with Brandon Johnsons scattershot plans to house migrants in places outside of shelters. J.B. is probably thinking with the Democratic Convention coming to Chicago that it might not be the best look and runs the risk of too many migrants on the streets.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 3:43 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
On another note, J.B Pritzker seems highly upset with Brandon Johnsons scattershot plans to house migrants in places outside of shelters. J.B. is probably thinking with the Democratic Convention coming to Chicago that it might not be the best look and runs the risk of too many migrants on the streets.
His frustration is justified, as should be the frustration/furor of every Chicagoan with half a brain who realize that Johnson is fairly clueless about how to run the city, but oh well.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 10:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Inexperienced CTU activist stooge becomes mayor and has not a single fucking clue how to actually govern the city.

There was absolutely no way to foresee this.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:12 PM
1st Ward

It really is frustrating. This crisis is in many ways a blessing in disguise. Chicago has always relied on international immigration to make up for domestic population losses and outmigration. Mexico has historically lead the way since the 1980s, but that supply pipeline began drying up in the 2010s, and basically stopped during the Trump administration. Securing and establishing Central and South American immigrant communities who will then send for their relatives and friends can restart that immigration network and help the city stem population losses, as well as set us up for future population growth. It doesn't seem that the Johnson administration understands the long term benefits to the city these migrants can offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Inexperienced CTU activist stooge becomes mayor and has not a single fucking clue how to actually govern the city.

There was absolutely no way to foresee this.
Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 8:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!
Kang's platform that was heavy on baseball and freedom twirling really resonated with me!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 11:52 PM

Quote:
It doesn't seem that the Johnson administration understands the long term benefits to the city these migrants can offer
It’s been stated a million times, this is completely different than Mexican immigration, due to the asylum requests and how these people are in limbo until the Federal government hears their cases.

As far as I know, we are still the only city prioritizing finding long-term housing for new migrants. There have been posts in this thread about how migrants in NYC chose to come to Chicago because of the networks that have already been established.

I don’t think anyone is happy with how the situation is being handled, but I’m not sure what else the city could really be doing. Especially when compared to any other city’s response (Denver, NYC, etc).

Last edited by moorhosj1; Jan 26, 2024 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 3:30 PM

^That's why I think this is ultimately going to be a win for Chicago, despite some relatively short term pain. . . time will tell. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 3:59 PM

Paul Vallas Hosting Republican Fundraiser

"Lifelong Democrat" Paul Vallas is hosting a Republican fundraiser in Chicago next week. I don't care that he is Republican, but he spent 6 months lying to us about it.

Why can't we have legitimate candidates for mayor?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

BJ's first job approval poll numbers are in.

Excellent: 7%
Good: 14%
Fair: 27%
Poor: 43%

Don't know: 10%

Source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2024/1/...lchin-research

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 8:56 PM

It's strange that neither Arne Duncan, Mike Quigley or Bill Daley even ran last time. Perhaps they didn't want to have the reins while Covid funding fell off?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 6:37 PM
TL;DR

Being mayor is an utterly thankless job with very little upside. I'm not surprised that big names have stayed far far away.

If you have a good reputation, a stint on the 5th floor will sink it. If you need to build a reputation, it's a terrible place to start. You have to own all of the dysfunction that the city has accumulated over the last century thanks to the machine, but you have very little power to fix anything since growth and tax revenues are anemic. You cannot go onto statewide or national office. Etc etc.

Even Rahm Emanuel, who did a great job as mayor, got sucked down by it and had nowhere to go afterwards except a powerless ambassadorship appointment.

Note this is true of mayors generally, NYC has not had any mayors go on to higher office either in a very long time. But NYC has lots of diverse political factions, and lots of independently wealthy folks who have a Bruce Wayne complex and don't necessarily care about higher office.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Being mayor is an utterly thankless job with very little upside. I'm not surprised that big names have stayed far far away.

If you have a good reputation, a stint on the 5th floor will sink it. If you need to build a reputation, it's a terrible place to start. You have to own all of the dysfunction that the city has accumulated over the last century thanks to the machine, but you have very little power to fix anything since growth and tax revenues are anemic. You cannot go onto statewide or national office. Etc etc.

Even Rahm Emanuel, who did a great job as mayor, got sucked down by it and had nowhere to go afterwards except a powerless ambassadorship appointment.

Note this is true of mayors generally, NYC has not had any mayors go on to higher office either in a very long time. But NYC has lots of diverse political factions, and lots of independently wealthy folks who have a Bruce Wayne complex and don't necessarily care about higher office.
Was Rahm really a good mayor? Or did he benefit from a pre-Covid world and his connections to Barack Obama. During those days practically ALL the guys - every single one of them - that were connected to the Obama administration rode the fast train to uber success in private/public life, including politics.

As a lifelong INDEPENDENT I can take this view and look at him with a fair, objective and relative non-biased eye.

Moreover, I submit that a credible argument can be made that ANY MAYOR who caters to one group/one sector/one part of the city over other parts, by definition, cannot be categorized as a "good mayor".

Moving on.... mayors today (particularly in big cities) have a much more difficult job in a post-covid world/with the influx of migrants/Maga nuts/polarized politics devoid of reason... and with respect to Brandon Johnson - cleaning up the mess left by Rahm due to backlash in certain communities, resulting rising crime from being overlooked/neglected, etc.

In short, Rahm created some of the major problems Brandon Johnson is now faced with.

That said, if I had to rank the job that Brandon Johnson is doing... looking at it fairly and objectively... I would rank him at somewhere around average to below average.... leaning more in the direction of below average.

He does get a major feather in his cap for slowing violent crime and murders in the city. As someone who travels quite a bit I have distinctly noticed that crime and Chicago is not something I hear nearly as often being talked about -- on the news or while out and about -- during my travels. He is doing something right with respect to this and he deserves credit. That said, this does not change my view that he has to start stepping it up with tangible results -- he gets a below average from me AT THIS POINT in his administration.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-viol...rime/14241408/

However, it is still somewhat early. And I do see the vision for what he is trying to do and I know that many of his plans are more long term and will not result in quick resolutions. But today's world does not wait -- we want what we want NOW and most do not have the patience or vision to wait for what may or may not come in the future.

Long story short -- Brandon Johnson has faced, and continues to face, ENORMOUS challenges -- a good chunk of those challenges he needs to change from "potential" resolutions that he is working to resolve.... into resolutions that have fixed the problem -- past tense.

He needs to start putting more W's on the scoreboard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest