HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:17 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Pretty damned spectacular in that render. We shall see how good it truly is if it proceeds as shown. And it shows that when demands calls for it, even newer "shitboxes" will be razed to make way for more profitable and ambitious projects. But the fact that we have so many projects already under construction, and double as many in the pipeline, DTLA will literally be unrecognizable by 2025.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:54 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Another, albeit not-too-revealing, rendering of 1300 Figueroa:

https://archpaper.com/2017/02/render...1300-figueroa/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:05 AM

Any Polls on how NIMBY "Measure S" is doing?

Good article in the LA Times today on how (according to the article) the main person backing the measure may have done so because the proposed Hollywood Palladium towers would block his view.

How can restricting supply help lower rents? It will raise them. Hope "S" is defeated! Restricting new construction will make L.A. less affordable & fewer jobs too. Just to protect a view (allegedly)?????

Apparently Measure S will also restrict height transfers & zoning variances that got the U.S. Bank (Library) Tower (& Wilshire Grand?) built. It will result is a less interesting, stubbier skyline with fewer new housing units. Probably no more super talls in L.A. if it passes. Maybe even nothing over 400 feet if it passes. San Franciscans & Seattlites are rooting for Measure S since they will take the Pacific skyscraper crown from L.A.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 25, 2017 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:40 AM

So anything that is not currently u/c will be blocked by Measure S for two years?

I cant believe this one guy can destroy a city because of his view of the hills.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 8:47 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
So anything that is not currently u/c will be blocked by Measure S for two years?

I cant believe this one guy can destroy a city because of his view of the hills.
Anything that is not currently Approved will be blocked for two years.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
... I told you guys to calm down and enjoy the journey.

I am not surprised about all those new skyscraper projects.
Take a look at Seattle and other cities, it's not like we are doing so much better, it's just the perfect time.

We need more housing so bring it on.
Not really a cause for celebration. Proposals don't necessarily mean guaranteed build out. Note Hunter's chart for example. I'll calm down when we see shovels and groundbreakings but if this is going to take at minimum 2 years just to clear permits and assuming Measure S passes you can kiss this gorgeous proposal goodbye. There was a poll posted:

This shows that Measure S is probably going to lose, but you never know about those polls. It needs to have a clear 50%+1 majority to pass or fail. Although don't take this poll as a sign of relief, Councilmen Huizar said:

Quote:
I think it is more accurately even at this time and could go either way.
He basically said they're tied. Not to mention that's an entire 20 percent of undecided voters who could swing either way. Both sides are doubling down on their campaigns, and the Yes campaign has even taken quotes from Los Angeles mayor Garcetti and used it as a tool to gain support even though he endorsed No:

Did anyone see the scare tactics that the Yes campaign did with the eviction notices? They posted fake eviction notices with the letterhead of the Sheriff's Department Court Services Division saying this(try and find the Yes on S, and Coalition to Preserve LA):

Thankfully the Sheriff's department responded quite aggressively and demanded they cease these notices immediately. In Short, everyone here should do what they can to get those in the LA area to vote No. The future of Downtown rests on this vote.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:22 PM

It blocks everything that requires an amendment to the zoning plan / height restriction.

There are restrictions because of fault zones and so on. Some areas (like Hollywood) would be more affected than others.

https://ladbs.org/docs/default-sourc...8.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Measure S promises cheaper housing, but the opposite would be the case. Some rich property owners want to protect their homes.

There are plans for a revision of LA’s outdated zoning code.
The bad news: The same people fight new zoning codes.

Let's hope Measure S will never pass. It would be a big setback.
Please vote. It's important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
.. but if this is going to take at minimum 2 years just to clear permits and assuming Measure S passes you can kiss this gorgeous proposal goodbye.
No.

Like I wrote, .. Measure S is about zoning changes / amendments.
They wouldn't stall every project that fits the height restriction. It's not a new height restriction like in the early 1900s..
Still, another setback is that it would bar developers from picking their own professionals for environmental impact reports.

Let's hope the poll numbers are correct. Only 300 people voted.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Feb 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:20 PM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Anything that is not currently Approved will be blocked for two years.
So this is not accurate. Building permits will not be issued for any project that has had a zone change. So even though Palladium is approved right now, it would be delayed two years. So every zone change that hasn't broken ground would be delayed and possibly no longer valid.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:58 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
So this is not accurate. Building permits will not be issued for any project that has had a zone change. So even though Palladium is approved right now, it would be delayed two years. So every zone change that hasn't broken ground would be delayed and possibly no longer valid.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that an overwhelming number of projects were being proposed downtown to get ahead of measure S, but it sounds like that's not the case.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:13 PM

Do most of the large projects proposed need a zone change though?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Do most of the large projects proposed need a zone change though?
Yeah because of LA's incredibly outdated General Plan. That's the real problem. LA should fix that immediately.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parking Podiums View Post
Yeah because of LA's incredibly outdated General Plan. That's the real problem. LA should fix that immediately.
Isn't that what RECODE LA is all about? Also, consider if this measure should pass, could it not be held up in the courts? Someone, somewhere (with proper legal savvy) could file papers (ala Micheal Winestein/Jill Stewart) to simply stop the implementation of the measure almost indefinitely with appeal after appeal. Perhaps that notorious Pasadena/Holywood attorney Robert P. Silverstein can be retain to do the job (I'm not kidding) he would do anything if the price was right

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 12:14 AM

Has anyone else heard that a Trader Joe's is opening in Broadway Palace phase 2? Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Has anyone else heard that a Trader Joe's is opening in Broadway Palace phase 2? Can anyone confirm?
Haven't heard it and I'm willing to bet it's not true

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Haven't heard it and I'm willing to bet it's not true
Hmm. That's what they told me when I took a tour. They seemed quite sure of it. I also took a tour of Oakwood and they claim that they have a Starbucks coming soon.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Welcome to Southern California.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Hmm. That's what they told me when I took a tour. They seemed quite sure of it. I also took a tour of Oakwood and they claim that they have a Starbucks coming soon.
They've also said Sephora and CVS are coming to phase one, but no delivery yet.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parking Podiums View Post
If Measure S were to pass but the entire general plan were to be massively upzoned, could projects prohibited from being constructed become allowed?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Really? I Am shocked if that's true. It'd be great since I live 2 blocks away. Where's the Oakwood Btw?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations