HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
they dont have any solutions, they just want the people to be able to use safely on the streets and not face any sort of pressure or consequences from authority. Basically, the status quo is what they are OK with. Granted, the loudest voices don't live up there and have to deal with this daily.
Progressive Twitter is all white kids in Fishtown and South Philly who wouldn't be caught dead at K&A. It's insane.

Anyways. I've had my own experience with these "harm reduction" non-profits.

Last year, I ordered a lunch from Honeygrow in Aramingo Shopping Center. I ordered on line and drove over about 10-15 minutes later to pick it up. As I was parking, I saw an addict passed out in the parking lot who I legit thought was dead. Saw no visibile movement in the chest area, etc.

Of course, called 911. Took a few minutes but I heard the sirens etc. I want to say about 1-2 minutes before the ambulance and fire truck arrived, this random Toyota appeared out of nowhere with two women in it. One of them had a bottle of water in her hand and the other was driving. The woman with the bottle of water jumped out of the car...shook him vigorously until he stirred awake and then asked him to move along. It took a bit but he stumbled onto his feet and scurried far enough away by the time the first responders got there that there was nothing for them to respond to.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it was at that moment that I realized one or two things were at play. 1. The "harm reduction" proponents are seriously misguided. Or 2, insidiously, there is some dark money at play to keep as many addicts alive and addicted for as long as possible. It also occured to me that #1 could be unknowningly (or knowingly) receiving it's money from #2.

Anyways. So enough for the bullshit. You're not saving anyone's life if you prevent them from interacting with the healthcare system.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Progressive Twitter is all white kids in Fishtown and South Philly who wouldn't be caught dead at K&A. It's insane.
100%. This is what drives me crazy about these progressive, affluent enclaves in the city. They rarely leave their serene Fishtown or NoLibs neighborhood and really don’t give a crap what the rest of us deal with on a daily basis.

I was reading a post on the Fishtown Instagram account about the first Starbucks opening up there. The comments were insufferable. I’m not a Starbucks fan but I appreciate the fact that they open early and close late and generally have a positive presence on the streetscape. Almost all the comments were from snooty white millennials/zoomers acting like they’re above it. They pretended like it was going to cause gentrification (even though they are in fact the gentrifiers lol) but it was obvious that their real gripe was that Starbucks is untrendy and has low quality coffee.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:24 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
100%. This is what drives me crazy about these progressive, affluent enclaves in the city. They rarely leave their serene Fishtown or NoLibs neighborhood and really don’t give a crap what the rest of us deal with on a daily basis.

I was reading a post on the Fishtown Instagram account about the first Starbucks opening up there. The comments were insufferable. I’m not a Starbucks fan but I appreciate the fact that they open early and close late and generally have a positive presence on the streetscape. Almost all the comments were from snooty white millennials/zoomers acting like they’re above it. They pretended like it was going to cause gentrification (even though they are in fact the gentrifiers lol) but it was obvious that their real gripe was that Starbucks is untrendy and has low quality coffee.
Saw that too.
But Lululemon, Shake Shack and Sweet Green are fine, lol. Ironic that the same people want a Trader Joe's in Fishtown.
It would be nice if people just didn't have an opinion sometimes. If you don't like Starbucks (or whatever store), then don't go... the world doesn't need to hear about it.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jun 6, 2024 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:24 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Great news. For a long time, I've considered this the perfect spot for such a treatment center. The site is isolated enough to remove people from the streets and not cause a controversy with any immediate neighbors, but connected enough to ensure that patients can move through the region. I hope this gets built and quickly. It is wholly unacceptable that the Kenney Administration let the situation in Kensington devolve as far as it did.
Council is on board.

Council green-lights Mayor Cherelle Parker’s budget plans, including $100 million for a Northeast Philly drug rehab center
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20240606.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

Anyways. I've had my own experience with these "harm reduction" non-profits.

Last year, I ordered a lunch from Honeygrow in Aramingo Shopping Center. I ordered on line and drove over about 10-15 minutes later to pick it up. As I was parking, I saw an addict passed out in the parking lot who I legit thought was dead. Saw no visibile movement in the chest area, etc.

Of course, called 911. Took a few minutes but I heard the sirens etc. I want to say about 1-2 minutes before the ambulance and fire truck arrived, this random Toyota appeared out of nowhere with two women in it. One of them had a bottle of water in her hand and the other was driving. The woman with the bottle of water jumped out of the car...shook him vigorously until he stirred awake and then asked him to move along. It took a bit but he stumbled onto his feet and scurried far enough away by the time the first responders got there that there was nothing for them to respond to.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it was at that moment that I realized one or two things were at play. 1. The "harm reduction" proponents are seriously misguided. Or 2, insidiously, there is some dark money at play to keep as many addicts alive and addicted for as long as possible. It also occured to me that #1 could be unknowningly (or knowingly) receiving it's money from #2.

Anyways. So enough for the bullshit. You're not saving anyone's life if you prevent them from interacting with the healthcare system.
Not to get too far into conspiracies or politics, but there are A LOT of people who will do anything and everything to avoid a hospital or ambulance bill. Not just junkies, but lots of lower to middle income people can be crushed by medical debts and trying to avoid the healthcare system (or any system) can seem like the best course of action. Not saying you did the wrong thing in calling it was 100% the right decision!

I also find it funny that progressives are still on Twitter, or X.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Council is on board.

Council green-lights Mayor Cherelle Parker’s budget plans, including $100 million for a Northeast Philly drug rehab center
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20240606.html
Question: How is Parker able to pay for all of these QOL initiatives? Suddenly we have resources to clean the whole city and $100M for a comprehensive drug rehab center. I'm not complaining but where are these funds coming from?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
Question: How is Parker able to pay for all of these QOL initiatives? Suddenly we have resources to clean the whole city and $100M for a comprehensive drug rehab center. I'm not complaining but where are these funds coming from?
The tax base has been steadily increasing for a while in the city. Except for the seasonal variations, there are more jobs in the City of Philadelphia than there has been since 1987. Additionally, hundreds of homes come off the 10-year tax abatement every year, more homes are built, property values have risen... All of it adds up to a tax base that has been increasing steadily for at least 15 years now.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post

LOL, that is funny. The gentrifiers are concerned that starbucks is going to attract more of them.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:35 PM

Quote:
construction is not operating money, its capital -totally different. Capital (unless its federal grant money) is paid for by debt service.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
My take is we've had the money but not the political will.

It takes more political will than you think to tell people they're going to have to move their cars for street cleaning when it hasn't been done for 20 years. People are lazy and there's a whole cohort of people who think, well if people just didn't litter, we wouldn't need this (and by extension, I don't litter, so I'm not moving my car).

What I like about her so far is that her attitude is I DON'T CARE.

That being said, the only thing that gives me pause is that I'm not sure she's actually working on solving the problem. $20MM a year for her "Philadelphia More Beautiful" project is a lot of money just to clean up a handful of commercial corridors. It feels like the money is going at clean up and not at all at solutions aimed at preventing it in the first place.

But, the clean up is needed now as everything has been neglected for so long. I'm hopeful as the initial layer of grime is removed people will feel more compelled to keep things tidy. I know I do. Even though I've always kept my block etc clean, when I notice things like the city cleaning a lot or a neighborhood park, it energizes me to step in a keep it clean after they're gone. The effort feels less in vain knowing the city is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

But, we need real solutions for dumping. Not just more people to clean up dumping. And there are solutions.

We need a real policy on street sweeping. It's still very ad hoc and I think a bit ineffective even in the areas where it's being done.

We need standards on trash collection. Like, why do we tolerate people putting little plastic bags of trash on the street (like using the plastic bag from Target as your trash bag). Why do we tolerate people leaving loose recycling on the street? It's incredibly dangerous for city employees from an injury perspective. It also slows the entire process down and contributes to the litter problem. In NYC you would be fined if you put a Target bag on the street as your trash bag. Of if you just left your recyclables in a loose cardboard box and expected the city to take it.

Also, people in this city unfortunately need to be taught how to be good neighbors. When you drive around the lower NE in particular, it's mind boggling how many of those small postage stamp yards in front of airlites are completely unmaintained. Start fining people for it. No, your grass shouldn't be 3 feet high. No, your can't have a 6 foot tall chain link fence at your sidewalk. I honestly think people don't know how to be good neighbors. Like, educate people. Has the city ever done outreach to flier those neighborhoods to explain city law and custom? Maybe people honestly don't know, either because they've never lived in a stand alone home or are immigrants and aren't accustomed to even having a lawn? It's hard to say...but it couldn't hurt to provide some amount of education on custom and standard (in many languages).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
The tax base has been steadily increasing for a while in the city. Except for the seasonal variations, there are more jobs in the City of Philadelphia than there has been since 1987. Additionally, hundreds of homes come off the 10-year tax abatement every year, more homes are built, property values have risen... All of it adds up to a tax base that has been increasing steadily for at least 15 years now.
Nice chart! Very interesting. I use FRED on occasion for work (specific inflation indexing for my industry) but had no idea they had City specific charts on there. There goes my afternoon

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:15 PM

There's a lot to be said about the "broken windows theory," too.

Clearly, the status quo for many Philadelphians for decades has been: "why should we care enough to keep up our neighborhood?"

But even if Parker's program isn't perfect, the most critical piece of it is "re-normalizing" the process of respecting and caring about how all of Philadelphia's neighborhoods look and function. Over time, it stands to reason that it will definitely have an impact on the city's psyche and behaviors. It's also likely to have a positive effect on reducing property crime, as well.

You have to start somewhere. Even incremental improvements add up, especially in a city as condensed as Philly.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Jun 6, 2024 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
There's a lot to be said about the "broken windows theory," too.

Clearly, the status quo for many Philadelphians for decades has been: "why should we care enough to keep up our neighborhood?"

But even if Parker's program isn't perfect, the most critical piece of it is "re-normalizing" the process of respecting and caring about how all of Philadelphia's neighborhoods look and function. Over time, it stands to reason that it will definitely have an impact on the city's psyche and behaviors. It's also likely to have a positive effect on reducing property crime, as well.

You have to start somewhere. Even incremental improvements add up, especially in a city as condensed as Philly.
Exactly. She’s doing something, trying things, which is welcome after do-nothing Kenney. I welcome politicians taking risks and doing what they can, rather than waiting around forever while some abstract ‘perfect’ policy created that likely won’t work anyways.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:24 PM

I will also posit that part of broken window theory can be applied to the quality of design of the buildings going up around the city. People will be less opposed to new development (and likely make more of an attempt to keep the rest of the neighborhood clean) if what's being built is objectively aesthetically pleasing.

Look at 5th Street on SEPTA. After the renovation, it's managed to stay pristine despite being on the dirtiest line on the system. This is because the redesign took it from a dingy, mediocre station to something we as a city could be proud of.

We at least need a fire district that limits facades to non-combustable materials. I also hope the mayor follows through with her hatred of vinyl siding.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Not to get too far into conspiracies or politics, but there are A LOT of people who will do anything and everything to avoid a hospital or ambulance bill. Not just junkies, but lots of lower to middle income people can be crushed by medical debts and trying to avoid the healthcare system (or any system) can seem like the best course of action. Not saying you did the wrong thing in calling it was 100% the right decision!

I also find it funny that progressives are still on Twitter, or X.
That's not a conspiracy theory.

At a minimum, these harm reduction folks (whether they're effective or not) are interested in self-preservation.

The conspiracy part of my theory is that they could be getting paid by the drug dealing apparatus to keep doing what they're doing. This paranoia comes from watching the Wire and I'm starting to believe it could be at play here.

How the F did some random person know there was an overdose at the precise moment in the middle of the Aramingo/Fishtown Square parking lot when I called 911? Clearly someone is scanning police radio and staying ahead of first responders. I'd argue that could have something to do with what you're talking about above. It has NOTHING to do with harm reduction.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 3:37 AM
Creative Ambitions

DJI_0370 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0369 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0368 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0367 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0363 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0361 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0360 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0359 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0349 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0348 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0347 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0337 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0336 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0335 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0344 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0342 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:14 AM

Speaking of Kenney, has anyone else heard a rumor that he apparently noped out of Philly and moved to Europe? I don't remember, it was either the UK or Ireland.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Speaking of Kenney, has anyone else heard a rumor that he apparently noped out of Philly and moved to Europe? I don't remember, it was either the UK or Ireland.
That wouldn't surprise me. I haven't seen him around Old City where he lives/lived. And I would have thought that given the amount he was out and about (hammered) when he WAS is office would have ensured he was gonna kill it when out of office.

He's so unpopular in this town, I'm sure he thought that he needed to bolt if he wanted to do his thing out in public. I know his mother lived in Jersey so I would think that would have factored into the decision to go that far away.

He wasn't a nice guy. Kind of a d!ck when you saw him out.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:10 PM

Expectation vs reality on that Broad & Ridge flatiron building is kinda disappointing right now. The paint looked better when we walked by yesterday but not by much. Hopefully some fancy light fixtures might dress it up. My friends just said it looks too flat. With the lack of trim around the windows, I agree. Also the cornice between the 2nd and 3rd floors was more pronounced in the renderings, which would have helped.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:13 PM

A lot of slop going up in those photos. Great shots regardless Tony.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development