HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 11:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

its a terrible problem — much, much worse since covid free ride days — like i said and for example, no one in staten pays

Why the MTA’s bus drivers don’t enforce the fare

By Ramsey Khalifeh
Published Aug 9, 2024

The MTA is struggling to get New Yorkers to pay to ride the bus, in no small part because drivers don’t enforce the fare.

But for decades, that was a key part of a bus driver’s job.

“When I was a kid, the bus wouldn’t run if you stood there and said, ‘I’m not paying.’ [Either] the bus driver wasn’t going to run the bus or you would have to get off,” MTA Chair Janno Lieber said during last week’s MTA board meeting, recalling growing up on the Upper West Side in the 1970s.

But in 2008, Brooklyn bus driver Edwin Thomas was stabbed to death after telling a passenger he needed to pay to ride. And the union representing bus drivers subsequently succeeded in implementing a softer approach toward fare beaters.

“I will not let my operators get involved in fare disputes because that’s not our job,” said J.P. Patafio, head of buses at Transport Workers Union Local 100. “Our job is to drive the bus safely from point A to point B, and getting into arguments about the fare has historically led to an increase in assaults.”

Lieber last week said “too many [bus drivers] have been subject to violence,” and that asking them to enforce the fare would put them in danger.

New York City Transit’s rule book shows fare collection is part of a bus driver’s duties. But Patafio said in practice drivers are only asked to state the cost of the fare, and make a record every time someone doesn’t pay.

Meanwhile, MTA stats show fare beating has spiked dramatically – particularly since the pandemic.

more:
https://gothamist.com/news/why-the-m...force-the-fare

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 12:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

robert moses explains his current plans —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-KOf...xyZjV4bGFyaA==

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 1:02 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 1:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

fearlessly incredible — sixth avenue subway construction 1927

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 3:21 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

That's when they had balls.

Now cowering politicians constantly kowtow to the squeakiest "stakeholder" wheel which means major surface disruptions are avoided at nearly all costs even though that is often the best and most economically way of building underground transit. Don't even get me going.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 3:25 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
These are pretty damn good, and pretty damn sad.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 3:27 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
robert moses explains his current plans —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-KOf...xyZjV4bGFyaA==

I'm gonna have to admit, I don't get like half the references.

Can someone cooler younger than me break this down?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That's when they had balls.

Now cowering politicians constantly kowtow to the squeakiest "stakeholder" wheel which means major surface disruptions are avoided at nearly all costs even though that is often the best and most economically way of building underground transit. Don't even get me going.

lol yeah true, I'd bet it'd be cheaper to shut businesses down for 2 years and pay each 1.5x their lost revenue than the way it's done so painstakingly slowly now. You'd greatly save on time and efficiency of the operation.

(if you intelligently capitilized on the advantage which.. who knows with the MTA)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 5:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
lol yeah true, I'd bet it'd be cheaper to shut businesses down for 2 years and pay each 1.5x their lost revenue than the way it's done so painstakingly slowly now. You'd greatly save on time and efficiency of the operation.

(if you intelligently capitilized on the advantage which.. who knows with the MTA)
we can’t even get a simple trolley across brooklyn-queens in a gift wrapped sunken rail line, much less pay people to dig up around them. ugh.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 1:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

this is via nys sen. hoylman newsletter —

Electrifying MTA Buses

I joined the MTA, Assembly Member Rosenthal, City Planning Commissioner Garodnick and other government colleagues on a tour of the Michael J. Quill Bus Depot and the electric charging station in the Hudson River Park to discuss efforts to transition to a zero-emissions bus fleet by 2040. The MTA fleet consists of 15 electric buses, with 60 new buses on the way. Nearly 500 new buses are scheduled to enter service by 2026, but unfortunately, the recent “pause” of congestion pricing imperils the MTA’s ability to secure orders for nearly half of this total. In addition, timely orders are complicated by there being only one manufacturer currently producing electric buses in the U.S. to the MTA’s standards. This is yet another important reason why congestion pricing must proceed as soon as possible.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 2:41 PM

Quote:
we can’t even get a simple trolley across brooklyn-queens in a gift wrapped sunken rail line, much less pay people to dig up around them. ugh.
MTA doesn't even want to move a few dead people to avoid what will likely be an operationally crippling street running segment lol.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:
fearlessly incredible — sixth avenue subway construction 1927

It looks like this section of subway construction was part of a simultaneous street widening project. So comparing what we're looking at here to cut-and-cover construction beneath grid avenues isn't useful. Also, there are so many existing subway tunnels and tunnels of other types in Manhattan that there isn't much potential for cut-and-cover construction.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 4:10 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

On closer inspection, this image looks like it's from the original section of the Sixth Av Extension which went from Carmine St in the village to Canal. This was a completely new street cut through the existing neighborhood, not just a widening. It displaced around 10,000 people and dozens of building demolitions to accomplish. The second phase of the Sixth Av Extension ran from Canal to Church. IND construction of the 8 Av line was simultaneously carried out.

A good source of info on the 6 Av Extension: https://www.villagepreservation.org/...-before-after/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 8:26 PM

A ferry from New Rochelle and the Bronx to LaGuardia would be great.

High Speed Ferries: Could It Be The Solution To JFK And LaGuardia's Public Transportation Problem?

By Alexander Mitchell
Simple Flying
Aug. 17, 2024

"Few airports are as important in the United States as LaGuardia Airport (LGA) and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), the only two facilities officially located within New York City. These airports handle millions of annual passengers, each serving a uniquely important purpose, with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey reporting a record 65 million passengers across the two facilities in 2023.

LaGuardia is only connected to New York via a few bus routes, and it does not offer convenient access to Manhattan’s major business districts and residential areas. JFK also lacks an easy transportation option, and like LGA, does not offer a dedicated station on the New York Subway, again requiring most to undertake multiple transfers between forms of mass transit to get to their final destination..."

https://simpleflying.com/high-speed-...tion-solution/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation