HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:39 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
You can go online http://www.treo.ca with your plate # and pay there. If you pay within 7 days, you save the licence plate processing fee. I registered with TReO and received the sticker and placed it on my windshield as directed. Its not in my field of vision as its behind the mirror. I have it linked to my MC and they will bill monthly. Only one of my trips has shown up on the website. I won't use it a lot, but its there. I'm reading on other forums that out-of-province tolls might never get paid as TReO has no agreements with other provinces to provide car information like ICBC does in BC. Might have never needed to pay the toll anyway.
I have gone over the bridge a few times coming in and out of Vancouver and have never received a bill. This is the same for the toll bridge in Seattle. I don't even thing they bother sending the bills to out of province and out of country vehicles.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:49 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
It may well be the worst but it is a million times better than when it used to be traffic lights all the way.
You can say that again.
Now just have to fix that last stretch (24thNW - 17th SW) to get rid of the lights and improve the river crossing CF.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I was just commenting on this earlier today. I think we might actually see Crowchild become construction-free by this fall. I'm sure there's some other piece of remediation work that will have to happen, because near as I can tell it's a city bylaw that Crowchild NW is not allowed to be 80 for its entire freeflow length.
I'm beginning to think the same thing. And the possible candidates are remediating the rough spots under Shaganappi. Failing that we have the interchange at Flanders and the one at Glenmore to look forward to as they rebuild them. Whenever that may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So they've been working on Crowchild for 17 years straight and they still don't have it right yet? Holy hell. Worst expressway in the country probably.
I wasn't meaning Crowchild has been under constant construction, many of my other routes to or from work have been (and continue to be) under construction. It just never seems to end. However now that I think about it, it is quite possible that Crowchild has been under constant construction of some type for the entire 17 year period. Actually the more I think about it the more I think that is the case. And while the road is much improved, it is hard to fathom that it has taken the City 17 years to do it.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:40 PM

If Crowchild is completely fixed though, we could no longer hold the claim to the worst interchange movement on the entire planet (Bow Trail eastbound to Memorial eastbound)!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:25 PM

Considering the average person will not be driving all the way from Glenmore to Stoney Trail on a regular basis, I assume most people do not feel like it's been under construction constantly for 17 years. Once they finished the stretch from Charleswood to 53rd Street it was all but done for what I used!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So they've been working on Crowchild for 17 years straight and they still don't have it right yet? Holy hell. Worst expressway in the country probably.
Yep.

It may be construction free by this fall, just in time for the new Flanders interchange to start up probably next year or one after. So the NW will be construction free but the SW part will be a mess for a while.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
You can say that again.
Now just have to fix that last stretch (24thNW - 17th SW) to get rid of the lights and improve the river crossing CF.
Is there any actual plan (old or new) to improve this stretch of Crowchild?? It's such a damn crawl in peak hours - should be up there amongst existing infrastructure that needs to be fixed

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 8:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Is there any actual plan (old or new) to improve this stretch of Crowchild?? It's such a damn crawl in peak hours - should be up there amongst existing infrastructure that needs to be fixed
There was one (or several) proposed in the last year or so. There was quite the public backlash against the plans, the price and the level of consultation with community so the City sent it back for review. I am not sure if they are still on the City's website.

The plans will be revised, but the City is developing a consultation policy regarding Transportation Corridor Studies that is being done first.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
There was one (or several) proposed in the last year or so. There was quite the public backlash against the plans, the price and the level of consultation with community so the City sent it back for review. I am not sure if they are still on the City's website.

The plans will be revised, but the City is developing a consultation policy regarding Transportation Corridor Studies that is being done first.
Thanks! I vaguely recall hearing something about that (this was before the days that I spent on this forum)

I hope they are able to fix that section of Crowchild ... Not only is it jammed packed, it's full of awkward/tight routes (seriously trying to get to NB Crowchild via EB Bow Trail is one of the weirdest connections of major roads I've seen)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:31 AM

This is the City's page for that corridor: http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...dor-Study.aspx

At the moment there is nothing concrete on the horizon for upgrading that stretch. I saw one of the proposals and significant community impact is unavoidable, including demolishing houses along the entire corridor (IIRC).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:46 PM

Proposed Flanders Avenue redesign options. There is also a survey linked from the city's page for gathering input as to which they go with.

Video Link

Source:calgary.ca/flanders

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:16 PM

I heartily endorse any proposal that uses roundabouts instead of traffic lights!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:19 PM

The roundabouts look great .. Will improve traffic flow nicely I think

With as much density planned in the Currie Barracks redevelopment I feel like 3 stoplights at that interchange so close together would cause a pretty good backlog in peak hours trying to get on to Crowchild

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:20 PM

Is the BRT using the 51st Ave Interchange? Or both?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:27 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Is the BRT using the 51st Ave Interchange? Or both?
Two different departments at the City. Talking to each other is forbidden. BRT alignment not considered. Consultation with transit on this would have resulted in several firings. Plus loss of catering privileges for group meetings.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I wasn't meaning Crowchild has been under constant construction, many of my other routes to or from work have been (and continue to be) under construction. It just never seems to end. However now that I think about it, it is quite possible that Crowchild has been under constant construction of some type for the entire 17 year period. Actually the more I think about it the more I think that is the case. And while the road is much improved, it is hard to fathom that it has taken the City 17 years to do it.
Man, you've just succumbed to Stockholm Syndrome. We've talked about this years ago, and at that time you were able to piece together a pretty continuous record of non-stop Crowchild construction.

I know that in my personal experience, it's been under construction since 2003, which gives us 11 years. And from memory and your comments, it goes further back from that by at least several years - Shag and 53rd and whatnot too years to construct.

All in all, for a road that's always under construction I have to admit that the NW leg still generally rocks (until you hit the lights anyway). And it's mostly tied into the LRT extensions, which followed the growth of the city overall. It's just.. indicative of how this city can't ever do a project all at once anymore. It's the same planning that has us finally seeing 4 car stations what, 8 years after they were first planned? Oh, if only we were one of the wealthiest jurisdictions in North America, just imagine what kind of infrastructure we could have....

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 8:47 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Man, you've just succumbed to Stockholm Syndrome. We've talked about this years ago, and at that time you were able to piece together a pretty continuous record of non-stop Crowchild construction.

I know that in my personal experience, it's been under construction since 2003, which gives us 11 years. And from memory and your comments, it goes further back from that by at least several years - Shag and 53rd and whatnot too years to construct.

All in all, for a road that's always under construction I have to admit that the NW leg still generally rocks (until you hit the lights anyway). And it's mostly tied into the LRT extensions, which followed the growth of the city overall. It's just.. indicative of how this city can't ever do a project all at once anymore. It's the same planning that has us finally seeing 4 car stations what, 8 years after they were first planned? Oh, if only we were one of the wealthiest jurisdictions in North America, just imagine what kind of infrastructure we could have....
Agreed, it totally rocks and yes, the construction has followed the growth of the City and since you and I live on the far NW edge, we don't ever see an end to it since the entire road is 'inner' city for us, there is practically nothing after our communities - except for the new lights that they promptly installed at 12 Mile Coulee Road, just so the City has something to do in 15 more years and they have run out of interchanges to build elsewhere.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:50 PM

Manning institute proposing toll lanes on Calgary Arteries. I'm surprised this is coming from them as it's basically a user tax and we all know how conservatives are supposed to feel about "taxes" lol. The comments are hilarious, apparently Nenshi is in league with the Manning Foundation now haha!

Anyway I think it's a good idea during peak times (7-9Am and 4-6PM) as this will add incentive to using transit or car pooling.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...881/story.html

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 8:22 PM

From the article:
Quote:
Bob Brunnen from the Manning Centre for Democratic Education says there are three major thoroughfares in Calgary that could easily be changed to include toll lanes as part of a pilot project.

Brunnen says the length of a daily commute would be reduced by 29 per cent for those who decide to opt into the plan.

He says the cost to a driver would be roughly $5 per day.

Brunnen says he expects there would be initial opposition to the idea, but as the benefits begin to become apparent, that would likely change.
It sounds more like he wants to setup exclusive "fast lanes" for those who can afford it. The lanes would have fewer users, meaning more people in the normal lanes, and slower traffic overall.

Looking at it this way, it doesn't sound so shocking an idea to come out of the Manning Centre. A privileged high speed empty road for those who can afford it while the plebs suffer more for their comfort.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 8:25 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Ha! Daily commute for those willing to pay reduced by 29%, and just what percentage increase would the serfs suffer for this?

This is the bike lane debate x90001 (it's over 9000!). This isn't a toll road option, that would be making the entire road toll.

Why not institute HOV lanes instead?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure