HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
US Customs and Border Protection... i.e., the final boss you have to clear before you are allowed to enter the splendour of the YWG transborder area
I always get a little shaken when they say "welcome to the United States" just before I head to the Tim's kiosk.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I'll keep you posted. I checked YVR twitter and they seem to suggest that it's business as usual.
Well, I'm a bit late in reporting back, but it really was business as usual at YVR transborder. Very quick in and out, and no noticeable shortage of staff. I didn't use transborder at YWG but when I was there it didn't look like anything was unusual around that area... No warnings regarding delays, no long lines.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm a bit late in reporting back, but it really was business as usual at YVR transborder. Very quick in and out, and no noticeable shortage of staff. I didn't use transborder at YWG but when I was there it didn't look like anything was unusual around that area... No warnings regarding delays, no long lines.
Good to hear! Enjoy Hawaii.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
I'll be going through there Hawaii bound on Friday, Feb. 1st. Less than 2.5 hour layover so I hope it's the same!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:07 PM

Heading through Winnipeg for the first time since the new terminal and my family and I have a 3 hour layover on our way to Montreal. Are there any decent restaurants or any place y'all would recommend for a longer lunch post-screening.

Looking forward to finally checking out the new terminal.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:58 PM

Yay, direct to Halifax 5x weekly on Westjet. And not a stupid overnight flight! This also opens up all of their European flights from YHZ without having to backtrack through YYC.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:49 AM

Any updates on winter run by Flair?

The last update seemed okay but heard some scary numbers from YEG.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Yay, direct to Halifax 5x weekly on Westjet. And not a stupid overnight flight!
Is this upgraded to year round service or still seasonal?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:38 PM

Did some searching to find some Flair loads on their Sun Routes

Phoenix-Mesa, and Las Vegas seem to be performing very well (85%> Loads)

The Florida routes are doing TERRIBLY (Same story in YEG). Loads are well below 60% (St. Petes being the lowest -- Under 50%).

These are booked flight loads for the next 3 weeks so numbers may increase slightly.

I don't see Flair attempting Florida next year, but Mesa and Vegas are bound to return.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Heading through Winnipeg for the first time since the new terminal and my family and I have a 3 hour layover on our way to Montreal. Are there any decent restaurants or any place y'all would recommend for a longer lunch post-screening.

Looking forward to finally checking out the new terminal.
Nothing that rings a bell, but here's a link

https://www.waa.ca/services/dining

If you want something more on the healthy side, Freshii is a good one

Enjoy your trip, and enjoy the airport! Its a nice one

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:01 PM

Prairie Bistro is the only real sit down full service restaurant. It's fine.

In checking the place out, go to both ends of the domestic post-screening area. The west end is quite open with beautiful sunsets. However, don't neglect going to the east end near the Starbucks to check out the view of the baggage area, particularly the ceiling.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:03 PM

^Hey, come to our airport. Check out the ceiling!

Haha I know what you're getting at, just sounds funny.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:28 AM

Delta is apparently adding a third airbus. 3 A319 and 1 CR9

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Did some searching to find some Flair loads on their Sun Routes

Phoenix-Mesa, and Las Vegas seem to be performing very well (85%> Loads)

The Florida routes are doing TERRIBLY (Same story in YEG). Loads are well below 60% (St. Petes being the lowest -- Under 50%).

These are booked flight loads for the next 3 weeks so numbers may increase slightly.

I don't see Flair attempting Florida next year, but Mesa and Vegas are bound to return.
Honestly though that's less of a Flair issue and more of a Western Canada thing. BC people tend to go to California, Prairies go to Arizona, and Easterners go to Florida.

I'm flying Flair to Mesa next Thursday, will report back. I've heard some of their planes are awful, haha. But if you're going to Scottsdale/Glendale and many other places – the Mesa airport is way more convenient. PHX is a nightmare sometimes, especially if you need a rental car.

I'm going for a quick trip to visit the parents. Fly down next Thursday at 5pm, fly home Sunday at 11 pm. Direct both ways, including bags, was $250. Hard to beat that, and the flight times are much better than WestJet (for me at least).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 9:17 AM
BANNED

Continued Record Growth At Winnipeg Richardson International Airport

Highest Annual Passenger Volume Reached as WAA Caps Robust Fourth Quarter

WINNIPEG, Manitoba – January 29, 2019 – Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) ended 2018 with another strong quarter and set a new record for passenger traffic.

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport hosted 4.5 million travellers through its doors in 2018, a 4.2 percent increase over 2017’s passenger total. This marks five straight years of record growth at the airport. The surge was spurred on by an increase of 5.1% in the fourth quarter of 2018 as compared to the fourth quarter of 2017.

Commercial freight traffic also remained high in 2018, with larger planes arriving more frequently in Winnipeg. Winnipeg Richardson International Airport continues to expand our region’s role as a critical transportation and logistics hub, as cargo plane tonnage, a key performance indicator for the number of goods being shipped, increased in 2018. U.S. tonnage saw a year over year increase of 17%, while domestic cargo carriers operations reflected a 2% increase.

Consolidated revenue for WAA was $34.7 million for the fourth quarter, compared to $32.1 million for the same period in 2017. Earnings before interest, depreciation and taxes were $14.4 million for the fourth quarter of 2018. Complete 2018 financial results will be available at WAA’s Annual Public Meeting on April 24, 2019.

“Executing our vision and delivering on an ambitious strategy was central to our success in 2018,” said Barry Rempel, President and CEO of WAA. “We look forward to continuing our work with supply chain partners in service of this region and to further advancing growth in our economy in 2019 and beyond.”

2019 will be another exciting year for Winnipeg Richardson International Airport. WAA is refreshing/expanding areas of the terminal and doing rehabilitation work on the airfield as we continue the necessary work of facilitating the airport’s growth. This fall WAA will also open its new $27 million Ground Services Equipment building.

Source: https://www.waa.ca/media/news/articl...fourth-quarter

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
But if you're going to Scottsdale/Glendale and many other places – the Mesa airport is way more convenient. PHX is a nightmare sometimes, especially if you need a rental car.
Glenddale is significantly further from Mesa Gateway that Skyharor (PHX). For Scottsdale is doesn't make a lot of difference.

The Mesa Gateway is really stuck in the corner of the metropolitan area of Phoenix while PHX is more central from my experience. That said PHX is a really big airport where Gateway is tiny (smaller than YWG).

I have flown through both and definitely a fan of the Gateway airport. Skyharbor isn't bad though. It definitely isn't as hated by me as YYZ or YYC.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Highest Annual Passenger Volume Reached as WAA Caps Robust Fourth Quarter

WINNIPEG, Manitoba – January 29, 2019 – Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) ended 2018 with another strong quarter and set a new record for passenger traffic.

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport hosted 4.5 million travellers through its doors in 2018, a 4.2 percent increase over 2017’s passenger total. This marks five straight years of record growth at the airport. The surge was spurred on by an increase of 5.1% in the fourth quarter of 2018 as compared to the fourth quarter of 2017.

Commercial freight traffic also remained high in 2018, with larger planes arriving more frequently in Winnipeg. Winnipeg Richardson International Airport continues to expand our region’s role as a critical transportation and logistics hub, as cargo plane tonnage, a key performance indicator for the number of goods being shipped, increased in 2018. U.S. tonnage saw a year over year increase of 17%, while domestic cargo carriers operations reflected a 2% increase.

Consolidated revenue for WAA was $34.7 million for the fourth quarter, compared to $32.1 million for the same period in 2017. Earnings before interest, depreciation and taxes were $14.4 million for the fourth quarter of 2018. Complete 2018 financial results will be available at WAA’s Annual Public Meeting on April 24, 2019.

“Executing our vision and delivering on an ambitious strategy was central to our success in 2018,” said Barry Rempel, President and CEO of WAA. “We look forward to continuing our work with supply chain partners in service of this region and to further advancing growth in our economy in 2019 and beyond.”

2019 will be another exciting year for Winnipeg Richardson International Airport. WAA is refreshing/expanding areas of the terminal and doing rehabilitation work on the airfield as we continue the necessary work of facilitating the airport’s growth. This fall WAA will also open its new $27 million Ground Services Equipment building.

Source: https://www.waa.ca/media/news/articl...fourth-quarter
Would the cargo increase be due to the increase in online orders? or are those shipped by ground?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 10:36 PM

They'd be shipped both ways. If you get something the next day, it was on a plane. if you get something a week or two after ordering, it was likely shipped ground.

I think they will also load what would be ground shipments on the plane if there is extra space, but don't quote me on that.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:28 PM
Ignore these four words.

Ultra-low cost carrier Canada Jetlines Ltd. to fly from Winnipeg to Kelowna. Competition with Swoop perhaps?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4913628/l...ipeg-airports/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Ultra-low cost carrier Canada Jetlines Ltd. to fly from Winnipeg to Kelowna. Competition with Swoop perhaps?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4913628/l...ipeg-airports/
With both Swoop and Jetlines runs to Kelowna be seasonal or year-round?

Edit: Just checked the webites, and both appear to be year-round service, which is great. Hopefully the Halifax flight is becoming year-round service as well now that it is being upgraded to 5 flights a week.

Last edited by Pinus; Feb 1, 2019 at 9:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan