HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 1:21 AM

New artisan pizza shop to open on Tucson's east side

http://azstarnet.com/entertainment/d...d22e4405e.html

Quote:
Aaron May is about to expand his restaurant empire in Tucson with a pizzeria set to open in September.

The Heist artisan pizza shop will take up residence in the space that housed My Big Fat Greek Restaurant until early May.

. . .

But May isn’t finished yet; he plans to open two more restaurants here in the next year.

“I’ll have five places in Tucson in the next 12 months. I’m looking for a new house down there and I’m planning on spending a lot of time there,” said May, who attended the University of Arizona before going to culinary school and opening his first restaurant in Scottsdale 10 years ago.

“I have an affinity for Tucson that far surpasses my affinity for the Phoenix/Scottsdale area,” he said. “I want to be down there.”

. . .

May said he is close to signing two leases, one of them for Tucson’s first outpost of his popular Over Easy breakfast restaurant. The other lease will house a new concept that May said he is not yet ready to discuss.
I'm most interested in the discussion of the two yet-to-open restaurants. I think Over Easy would do great downtown or near UA but I'm not holding my breath that he'll choose either location. His business plan in Tucson seems to be developing concepts in neighborhoods with low restaurant saturation.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:03 PM

Yesterday, the Star ran a short article about Monkey Burger closing downtown. The gist seemed to be that closing was purely a business decision. Today, though, they ran the story below:

Downtown’s Monkey Burger shuts doors as building is sold

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...0a6848ee5.html

Quote:
Monkey Burger, the gourmet hamburger restaurant that was at the forefront of Tucson’s most recent burger infatuation, closed its downtown location last weekend after its landlord sold the building at 47 N. Sixth Ave.

Fletcher McCusker, who owns Monkey Burger with several partners, said the new owners plan to completely renovate the 100-year-old-plus former hotel.

. . .

Chas Karakey, general manager of the Broadway Monkey Burger, said the downtown restaurant had been struggling over the past several months.

“It’s not necessarily a bad thing that downtown closed,” he said Monday.

But McCusker said that with The Cadence student housing project opening this month,” I think we would have hung in there.”
So, business may have closed it eventually, but the sale and pending renovation of The Arizona was the real cause. That building has a lot of potential, so this is pretty great news, IMO. On another note, I didn't know McCusker partially owned Monkey Burger.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:35 PM

Tucson’s Downtown Renaissance Could Be Worth $2.4B

Quote:
Downtown Tucson may be embarking on a new economic boom. For the past five years, downtown has been experiencing a type of economic renaissance unlike anything before, according to Michael Keith, CEO of the Downtown Tucson Partnership, and it may just be the beginning.

With the economic uptick downtown, Tucson may be taking its place among other midsize cities to include Salt Lake City and Portland, but it may also become a contender with bigger cities such as Seattle and Denver.

Five areas of economic development

1. Public investment of $600M has resulted in private investors plunking down $250M into the downtown area.

2. Timing was right for Tucson. Keith said the majority of investment in the area has been from people that were either from Tucson or somewhere within the state.

3. Downtown’s proximity to the University of Arizona was key, especially since UA is landlocked and needed a place to expand.

4. Young, tech-savvy individuals wanting to start their own businesses are “flocking” to downtown, where other like-minded tech people are.

5. Baby boomers returning to urban centers are looking for community, culture, convenience and acceptable transportation alternatives.

What’s next for Tucson downtown?

“From here on out we are going to see projects from $20M to $500M,” Keith predicted, adding that, “We … have done everything we can locally and the next phase will be regional or out-of-state developers.”

Recently it was announced that AC Hotels by Marriott may be coming to downtown, with construction possibly beginning in the spring of 2014. The $27M hotel, which is being developed by Scott Stiteler, would be located near the intersection of Broadway and Fifth Avenue.

There are 63 lots to be developed [downtown], which account for 4M square feet of land, Keith said. If all of the lots are built multi-story, that could be 16MSF of real estate.

At $150 a square foot, if everything is built to capacity, Keith estimates that could bring in a total of $2.44B for the entire development over the [downtown] project’s lifespan.
http://azbex.com/tucsons-downtown-re...e-worth-2-4b/#

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
With the economic uptick downtown, Tucson may be taking its place among other midsize cities to include Salt Lake City and Portland, but it may also become a contender with bigger cities such as Seattle and Denver
Great news, the only thing I think is absolutely ridiculous is to mention Seattle and Denver in the conversation. For one, very few cities can contend with Seattle. Combining the economic development of both downtown Phoenix and Tucson would still not compare to Seattle. Downtown Seattle alone has more highrises than Tucson will ever have and more than 200,000 people (not counting the new massive Amazon HQ under construction) work in 3 square miles in downtown Seattle; nearly half the population of the city of Tucson. Seattle is also 3 times as dense as Tucson.

The article's author got a little ahead of herself on that point. Other than that, good to see both Arizona cities continue to develop downtown. Now, can we get rail to connect both city centers?

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Great news, the only thing I think is absolutely ridiculous is to mention Seattle and Denver in the conversation. For one, very few cities can contend with Seattle. Combining the economic development of both downtown Phoenix and Tucson would still not compare to Seattle. Downtown Seattle alone has more highrises than Tucson will ever have and more than 200,000 people (not counting the new massive Amazon HQ under construction) work in 3 square miles in downtown Seattle; nearly half the population of the city of Tucson. Seattle is also 3 times as dense as Tucson.

I think that article got a little ahead of itself on that point. Other than that, good to see both Arizona cities continue to develop downtown. Now, can we get rail to connect both city centers?
That was an odd line. I think the intent may have been to compare the potential for $2.4 billion to current investment in Seattle and Denver. I can't speak for Denver but, as you mention, even that amount probably doesn't get near what is happening in downtown Seattle right now.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
That was an odd line. I think the intent may have been to compare the potential for $2.4 billion to current investment in Seattle and Denver. I can't speak for Denver but, as you mention, even that amount probably doesn't get near what is happening in downtown Seattle right now.
Not even then, public investment in downtown Seattle exceeds $3 billion alone for the cost of waterfront improvements and the redevelopment slated to begin soon. Throw in the $2 billion for light rail and extensions and it isn't even in the same ballpark. Amazon's HQ alone accounts for over over $700 million in private investment. I won't even include recent skyscrapers under construction and new highrise condo towers being built.

Denver isn't growing nearly as fast as Seattle but even there, one project by itself (Union Station) will cost $500-600 million. Right now downtown Denver has hotel, condo towers, and office towers under construction. Phoenix has had over $2.5 billion in public investment the last 5 years, not counting private investments like the nearly $1 billion CityScape development. What is going on in Tucson would better compare to what is happening in Tempe (minus the $600+ million State Farm HQ and the $350 million USA Place).

The article's author did not check her facts before writing that piece. At least it wasn't in a professional business publication. It was in what is basically a real estate publication ... real estate types tend to exaggerate. One important thing the article failed to mention by name, although I'm sure it was included in the totals, is the streetcar extension. The streetcar is, and will be, an important catalyst for downtown development in Tucson.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Not even then, public investment in downtown Seattle exceeds $3 billion alone for the cost of waterfront improvements and the redevelopment slated to begin soon. Throw in the $2 billion for light rail and extensions and it isn't even in the same ballpark. Amazon's HQ alone accounts for over over $700 million in private investment. I won't even include recent skyscrapers under construction and new highrise condo towers being built.

Denver isn't growing nearly as fast as Seattle but even there, one project by itself (Union Station) will cost $500-600 million. Right now downtown Denver has hotel, condo towers, and office towers under construction. Phoenix has had over $2.5 billion in public investment the last 5 years, not counting private investment like the $600 million CityScape development. What is going on in Tucson would better compare to what is happening in Tempe.

The article's author did not check her facts before writing that piece. At least it wasn't in a professional business publication. It was in basically, a real estate publication and real estate types tend to exaggerate. One important thing the article failed to mention by name, though I'm sure it was included in the totals, is the streetcar extension. The streetcar is, and will be, an important catalyst for downtown development in Tucson.
The original quote is actually from Inside Tucson Business, so it may not have been a realtor.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
The original quote is actually from Inside Tucson Business, so it may not have been a realtor.
You're right and that is horrible if the editors in a business publication let that go to print. Those statements could have been debunked by a simple Google search. Ouch!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:34 AM

Development in tucson isnt above a national average it's at the average. Same with population growth. We as Tucsonans seem to make things sound better than they are. Once we can start making more buildings that aren't UofA related (and I do like the UofA's contribution) We can start talking about being comparable with Portland or Denver. All we've rebuilt besides UOfA and senior housing is the TEP building, One east broadway and the courthouse. We have planned things (Gadsen or Green Line) but those plans always fail or never get built. I hate being compared to Tempe but that's where we're at. If we can get a middle class downtown that'd be great but all we've got now are low income seniors, or urban baby boomers as they were called in the article, and college students. And what do they mean by tech savvy? Somebody who uses iPhones and goes on the Internet daily?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:43 AM

Development news. I found another story that you may or may not have seen about downtown. What I found interesting was that the marriot hotel would be here for 50 years. That's an older building but I'd hope it would be a quality building that could last at least 100 years!
Sorry I forgot to put in the link but here it is.
http://m.insidetucsonbusiness.com/co...9bb2963f4.html
It seems to be very similar to the story posted above.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:32 AM

Burlington Coat Factory

A new Burlington Coat Factory is underway at the site of Tucson's last old Mervyn's building at Interstate 19 and Ajo. This project was announced way back in June and we're just seeing this. At least I think this is the first time this is mentioned on this thread. It looks like it is set to open in October.It will be the chain's ninth location in Arizona, following the opening of the new store in scottsdale.
http://careers.burlingtoncoatfactory...g.asp?user_id=

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 11:19 PM

More details on the Arizona Hotel purchase:

Historic Tucson hotel sold to Sonora investors

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...1dacbfea1.html

Quote:
A historic downtown hotel, which has operated for nearly 100 years, is getting new life.

Investors from Nogales, Sonora recently purchased the Arizona Hotel at 35 N. Sixth Avenue and plan a major interior renovation.

“It has a lot of potential and historic value,” said Marcel Dabdoub, the manager of the family-owned investment company. “We’re looking forward to joining others who are investing in downtown Tucson to make it vibrant.”

Specific details on what will become of the 97-year-old building are still being refined, Dabdoub said, but, as part of the renovation, the historic feel and look will be preserved.
The Dabdoub family is involved in all sorts of projects downtown, including the AC Hotel project, so this is even more promising than I thought.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 6:38 PM

Here's an interesting article on High-rise construction in the U.S. over the past decade that mentions Tucson. The writer is surprised that for a city our size, economic conditions, and good quality of life, there have been no high-rises constructed (18 stories or higher ) since the 80's. I don't think he's taken into consideration the low-rise boom here over the last few years that will most likely lead to taller buildings in the next 10 which has already started with the construction of Level and the other two high-rises (13-15 stories).

An Analysis of U.S. High-rise Construction Activity in This Century

High-Rise Facilities
David Holmes |August 21, 2013

" I was surprised by the relative lack of recent high-rise building construction in cities such as Columbus, Fort Worth, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, St. Paul, and Tucson..."

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
...that will most likely lead to taller buildings in the next 10 which has already started with the construction of Level and the other two high-rises (13-15 stories).
A building with 13-15 floors is not a highrise, it's a mid-rise building. The popularity, which had proven to not be fleeting, of the suburban office park really put a damper on downtown development and the need for highrises from the 80s until the recession in 2007. Hopefully the end of the office park, or at least the proliferation of such construction, is near as more people are choosing to live closer to work and in unique properties near historic city centers.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Here's an interesting article on High-rise construction in the U.S. over the past decade that mentions Tucson. The writer is surprised that for a city our size, economic conditions, and good quality of life, there have been no high-rises constructed (18 stories or higher ) since the 80's. I don't think he's taken into consideration the low-rise boom here over the last few years that will most likely lead to taller buildings in the next 10 which has already started with the construction of Level and the other two high-rises (13-15 stories).

High-Rise Facilities

" I was surprised by the relative lack of recent high-rise building construction in cities such as Columbus, Fort Worth, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, St. Paul, and Tucson..."
Yep, I think that's how it works with Tucson, after decades of 'self-destruction' , it will take a step-by-step healing process before it accepts our dream of a skyscraper downtown. So far, Tucson's definition of high rise , is currently 10 floors (from 5 floors ... from 3 floors).

Anyway, I wished I have a photo of the new County Courthouse downtown but I must say it's looking good. I visited Thunder Canyon Brewery for the first time last night and it was packed.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
A building with 13-15 floors is not a high-rise, it's a mid-rise building. The popularity, which had proven to not be fleeting, of the suburban office park really put a damper on downtown development and the need for high-rises from the 80s until the recession in the 2007. Hopefully the end of the office park, or at least the proliferation of such construction, is near as more people are choosing to live closer to work and in unique properties near historic city centers.
Couldn't agree with this entire post more. 13-15 floors is not high-rise, and hopefully the end (or the slowing down of) the proliferation of office-parks and sprawl in general, is upon us, or near.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:42 PM

Quote:

High-Rise Facilities

First of all, awesome article. Great read.

I wonder though...the activity of MID-RISE building in cities such as Tucson, Albuquerque, Fresno...etc. I remember when the 4-5 story Pennington Garage was a big deal. That's how desperate we were. Now...despite the article saying anything less than 18 stories wouldn't change the landscape of a skyline...I feel for certain cities...especially the Southwest and certain areas in the West (Central California Valley) where skyscrapers were not historically prominent...it would.

Tucson is working its way up...our tallest new construction is 14 stories...hopefully in the near future we'll get to that 18 and up threshold. My 1st guess is a residential tower at the Peach property on Broadway.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
First of all, awesome article. Great read.

I wonder though...the activity of MID-RISE building in cities such as Tucson, Albuquerque, Fresno...etc. I remember when the 4-5 story Pennington Garage was a big deal. That's how desperate we were. Now...despite the article saying anything less than 18 stories wouldn't change the landscape of a skyline...I feel for certain cities...especially the Southwest and certain areas in the West (Central California Valley) where skyscrapers were not historically prominent...it would.

Tucson is working its way up...our tallest new construction is 14 stories...hopefully in the near future we'll get to that 18 and up threshold. My 1st guess is a residential tower at the Peach property on Broadway.
I think you're right in saying that MID-RISE buildings (you people and your technical building terms ) can change the landscape of a city like Tucson. It's changing the Main gate area I feel dramatically in giving the area a mini skyline similar to that around the Biltmore Fashion Park in Phoenix where a lot of mid-rise buildings were built in the last decade.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 4:38 AM

Quote:
I think you're right in saying that MID-RISE buildings (you people and your technical building terms ) can change the landscape of a city like Tucson. It's changing the Main gate area I feel dramatically in giving the area a mini skyline similar to that around the Biltmore Fashion Park in Phoenix where a lot of mid-rise buildings were built in the last decade.
Yes and no. Main gate square has dramatically changed and should developers full in as many of the lots as they can to their full height, it will make a significant difference. Especially if the first floors of the buildigs make up an outdoor mall or something to attract people to shop there. However the tallest building in the city is one south church. Our skyline will look more dense but not taller. I'm not neccessairily saying that either type of skyline ( dense or tall) is better I'm just saying that you still can not see the buildings from as far away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest