HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
there's a bit of a paradox there: with a city as dense as Philly, you would think the traffic would be so bad that it wouldn't allow for people to speed, at least not enough to warrant speed humps. Some people are even advocating for density tolling, to discourage people from driving into Center City.
areas adjacent to Center City, like North Broad around Temple Hospital, might benefit from speed humps though. Lot of knuckleheads driving like maniacs through there.
Not saying this is the only reason, but I think there’s a chunk of speeding due to frustration that the vast amount of lights aren’t timed in the city. For instance, i was driving down Del Ave from fishtown to the stadiums the other week and I hit every light. Then people started speeding just to get through the next lights. It was a mess. And it happens often on stretches where you’d think they’d have factored traffic flow.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Not saying this is the only reason, but I think there’s a chunk of speeding due to frustration that the vast amount of lights aren’t timed in the city. For instance, i was driving down Del Ave from fishtown to the stadiums the other week and I hit every light. Then people started speeding just to get through the next lights. It was a mess. And it happens often on stretches where you’d think they’d have factored traffic flow.
lol if lights were timed perfectly that would not stop speeding at all, it would probably increase it. this city has a driving issue and the only thing that will curb bad drivers is cops enforcing driving laws and traffic calming measures being put in place.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:07 PM
build awesome buildings

Germantown HS redevelopment update...

Details Emerge for Germantown High School Residential Conversion
Naked Philly, 5/30/2024
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...al-conversion/

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 9:05 PM

The neighborhood immediately east of Temple’s campus (Harntraft) is booming! I looked out of my train window and noticed site work occurring at 919 Diamond Street, a long-delayed project proposed just prior to the start of the pandemic. Further up 10th Street, steel is finally rising at 2132-38 N 10th, a building that will eventually rise to six stories. Smaller new construction projects can be found all around the two larger projects, with some rising as far north as York Street.

I hope the development wave continues to spread north and west from South Kensington. I am looking forward to the (distant) day where the development wave reaches Lehigh Avenue.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:42 AM
Creative Ambitions

DJI_0276 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0275 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0257 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0255 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0274 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0272 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0271 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0270 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0268 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0266 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0265 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0264 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0260 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0259 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0258 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0256 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0249 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 5:52 PM

Seems pretty positive despite some of the negative headlines out there. And I think it's true...you have to have the space ready for the next boom, if you wait to put shovels in the ground you'll miss it, this industry moves fast.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...d-leasing.html

'We're missing a unicorn': Local real estate developers ready for another life sciences success story

For Philadelphia’s life sciences market to resume its once explosive growth, local real estate developers say the city could really use a new Spark.
Local gene therapy company Spark Therapeutics provided the blueprint for how a single firm’s success can quickly drive real estate development. The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia spinout was scooped up by Swiss pharmaceutical giant Roche for $4.8 billion in 2019, grew to more than 800 employees and now has real estate projects in the works that will expand its local footprint to almost 1 million square feet of office, lab and manufacturing space.
A lengthy stretch of depressed venture capital investing has prevented other life sciences startups from following Spark’s lead, reducing demand for new space and slowing life sciences developments that are either underway or on the drawing board.

“We’re missing a unicorn at this point,” said Jeff DeVuono, executive vice president of Brandywine Realty Trust’s life sciences division. “We had Spark Therapeutics, we had the Roche situation, we need a couple more compelling stories.”

Several Philadelphia life sciences projects have been built or are being built with significant chunks of space available. But as funding for life sciences companies has slowed over the last two years, they’ve hesitated to expand their real estate, local developers said during the Philadelphia Business Journal’s recent “The Future of Life Sciences” event at City Winery.
That means some new life sciences buildings are sitting largely empty.
University Place Associates’ 250,000-square-foot University Place 3.0 at 4101 Market St. in University City has seven floors of space available.

The team of Ensemble Real Estate Investments, Mosaic Development Partners and Oxford Properties still have more than three-quarters of their 137,000-square-foot Navy Yard building 1201 Normandy Place available after leasing 32,000 square feet to French biotechnology company bioMérieux.
“It all comes down to capital,” said Pete Cramer, vice president and market executive for developer Wexford Science & Technology. “These companies are in capital preservation mode. I think I’ve heard that term 100 times in the last six months. The money they do have, they’re focused on their science and proving out their science. So real estate is secondary.”
Wexford built One uCity Square, a project that was more than 90% leased by June 2023 less than six months after it opened. The building at 25 N. 38th St. in University City has 400,000 square feet across 13 floors. Now, Wexford is waiting for tenant demand to pick back up before building its next project, a 200,000-square-foot life sciences building at 3838 Market St.
Brandywine is building a 400,000-square-foot life sciences building at 3151 Market St., another development set to be completed later this year. DeVuono said prospective tenants in the market were looking for a total of around 2 million square feet of space in January 2021. That number has steadily dropped over the past few years to 820,000 square feet at the end of March.

“If you were doing that math today, half of those people in that 820,000 thought they were in the market, but they have no money,” DeVuono said. “So they’re optimistic, but they’re raising money. That’s a pretty significant drop.”
The glut of space that’s now available came as a result of developers evaluating tenant demand in 2021 and 2022, according to Nelson Way, director of leasing and development for Ensemble.
While developers already have plans for future life sciences projects, most of those are on hold until the existing supply gets leased up. Way said managing the inventory strategically has positioned Philadelphia well for the long-term.
“The market will absorb deals over the next two years that will fill up all the inventory that exists today and that’s currently under construction,” Way said. “I don’t think any of us here got out over our skis. I think we’re really smart about what we’ve developed and how we develop it and pulled back on stuff that we had sketched up already.”

The existing inventory could also be a positive for the life sciences industry, developers said. While they’d like their space to be leased, life sciences companies typically can’t wait for two years for a new building to be built. They often need space faster.
After companies make a discovery and raise money to expand, they can’t tell investors they need two years before moving into a larger space to accommodate the growth, DeVuono said.
“If we would have had more space available in 2020, we would have captured so many more companies that would have ultimately become unicorns,” DeVuono said.
Anthony Maher, president of University Place Associates, recalled a few years ago when life sciences companies said there needed to be more lab space developed in Philadelphia. Now it’s happening.
Maher said he’s spoken recently with two prospective tenants that could fill up the entirety of University Place 3.0 if they both sign leases.
He described Philadelphia’s life sciences market as hitting puberty because it’s going through the some growing pains as it matures. Long-term, Maher said University Place Associates is optimistic.
So are Brandywine, Ensemble/Mosaic and Wexford. All four firms have plans for future lab buildings and are just waiting for market conditions to ease up and existing life sciences space to lease up.
“Philadelphia has a very, very promising opportunity,” DeVuono said. “But it’s not a layup.”

Last edited by jaysb; May 31, 2024 at 5:53 PM. Reason: added

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:27 PM

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Oh man. That's not good for S. Broad or the city in general. I can't speak to the merits of the school, but that's a lot of newly vacant space.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 2:05 AM

Ouch. That’s a HUGE blow to South Broad Street and the city at large. What a disaster. This one will hurt. How many vacant buildings will this leave? At least 6 or 7?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 3:05 AM

I had a couple classes there. That really caught me off guard.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 4:31 AM

Not gonna lie. UArts seemed to be MIA since COVID. They used to have a much bigger presence 5+ years ago with students bustling everywhere but it honestly seems like the whole campus is closed whenever I’m on Broad (I think there was a discussion on this here 1 or 2 years ago). The devil collected his due from extended lockdowns and remote learning. Hard to teach dance and acting over zoom.

It’s difficult to spin it as anything but a significant setback for CC and Philly Arts/Culture. However, the university really hasn’t had much of a presence since before COVID so perhaps its loss won’t be noticed as much. Most of its buildings are perfect for residential conversion anyways.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 6:25 AM
Creative Ambitions

You're comment had me think about something Skyhigh, not many cities in the US seem to have rebound after their 1940-1950 Population's highs, at which point cities in America were at their peak, and functioning at high capacity.

I just looked at a bunch of different cities population charts, ie: Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, DC & ETC all of these cities have never recovered since the 50's

However the only cities that have retained or grown past the 50's boom since than have only been NYC, LA & Chicago hasn't rebounded to it's original 50's pop, but it has remained in the top 3.

My point for saying this is that it seems that cities will never fully function as originally intended due to population losses & changes that affect the main thing that drives cities.

People

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:14 PM
PHL

Very sad to see. Very many of my friends went there and it's an important piece of the Philly jazz scene. Dang man, RIP

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:57 PM

I always used to say, somewhat half-jokingly, that University of the Arts and University of the Sciences should have merged and become one actual university. Well USciences instead merged with St Joes and now UArts is closing. Maybe that would have been a good idea.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
You're comment had me think about something Skyhigh, not many cities in the US seem to have rebound after their 1940-1950 Population's highs, at which point cities in America were at their peak, and functioning at high capacity.

I just looked at a bunch of different cities population charts, ie: Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, DC & ETC all of these cities have never recovered since the 50's

However the only cities that have retained or grown past the 50's boom since than have only been NYC, LA & Chicago hasn't rebounded to it's original 50's pop, but it has remained in the top 3.

My point for saying this is that it seems that cities will never fully function as originally intended due to population losses & changes that affect the main thing that drives cities.

People
Philly,and center city, definitely needs to rethink how it wants to function going forward as the world has changed. Sometimes I read the CEO of Center City Districts posts and they seem stuck in a different era, focused on return to work will solve everything….but not realizing the world is changing, people’s wants are changing, and the city needs to evolve to meet that.

It’s def sad to see U of Arts close. I hope they are able to find good, interesting uses for those spaces. Yes, we need housing…but we also need investments in culture too.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 1:44 PM

Hopefully someone else snags up the remnants? Maybe a Drexel arts expansion or something. Sounds like this sudden closure was a real cluster F, and literally came out of nowhere. What a mess. Interesting a school with a $54M endowment (2020) and only 1,900 students couldn't find a way.

Also likely a sign of how STEM focused higher ed has become.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 2:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Hopefully someone else snags up the remnants? Maybe a Drexel arts expansion or something. Sounds like this sudden closure was a real cluster F, and literally came out of nowhere. What a mess. Interesting a school with a $54M endowment (2020) and only 1,900 students couldn't find a way.

Also likely a sign of how STEM focused higher ed has become.
Won't happen, but Cheyney University should relocate to Center City.

An HBCU would have so many more resources in Center City versus Chester County, and it may help expand the University, which is barely getting by.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 2:26 PM

Hate to say I told you so but this is EXACTLY why so many of us on here were practically screaming that the city needed to open back up and why it was important to get back to normal. From what I’ve heard UArts really fell into decline during COVID/lockdowns/remote learning with dwindling enrollment numbers.

Not enough people listened and now we lost THE city’s premier arts conservatory among a long list of other things. 150 year old institution! Well done Covidians!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 2:31 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Hate to say I told you so but this is EXACTLY why so many of us on here were practically screaming that the city needed to open back up and why it was important to get back to normal. From what I’ve heard UArts really fell into decline during COVID/lockdowns/remote learning with dwindling enrollment numbers.

Not enough people listened and now we lost THE city’s premier arts conservatory among a long list of other things. Well done Covidians!
Not to derail into a political discussion, but looking back, the lockdowns, remote learning, etc., have taken an extended toll on many cities, schools, organizations, and even the polarization of everything. I viewed them as a mistake back in 2020/21, but kept my mouth shut because cancel culture was at its height back then.

But yes, a huge unfortunate loss for the entire city & region. If I was a mega-billionaire, I would write a check right now.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 2:34 PM

No way to spin this, what a terrible development for the students, for arts in the city, for South Broad and Center City in general. I don’t know how it would all work but hopefully Drexel or Temple or some other university steps in and helps these students and/or takes over some of the space. South Broad is already kind of shaky at times and to immediately add so many new vacant properties doesn’t help.

As a side note, it’s amazing that considering how beautiful and vibrant most of Center City is, the two streets that tourists are going to be on the most (East Market and South Broad) are arguably the two worst streets in Center City in terms of visitor experience (homeless, cleanliness, greenery etc.). I sometimes feel like I’m going crazy that the city can’t clean those two streets up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development