HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
The only extension of the green line is eastward.
And Northwest along Lincoln blvd.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:03 AM

^^^ Perhaps. But maybe its because I live a block away from the Green line, at its end in Norwalk, I'm really biased against it actually. It gets really busy in the morning and in the evening but I've come to accept it as a feeder rail line rather than a rail line on its own. I think it better serves as a connection between other lines in a sense. I rather the South Bay gets a whole new rail line that connects from Long Beach all the way to Santa Monica, or in other words a rail line that kinda parallels the 405 but more so hugging the coast so that we can finally get something that connects with LAX. The Lincoln line is a must and could be part of a rail line that connects Santa Monica and Long Beach. I feel the Green line is a shoulda coulda woulda, i rather move on to other projects. Even if it were to be completed and enters the center loop of LAX, I don't think it would be used as nearly as much as we would hope.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 9:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I normally try to cut down reading material but I found it all very interesting and relevant towards the overall project.

Edit: This was posted in the other thread, but Curbed has some interesting facts about the project. A little ditto with a tad bit more detail. I do hope this becomes a reality. GO LOS ANGELES!
--------------------------------------------------

Here Are LA's Huge Plans for the 2024 Olympics

Quote:
LA's bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games puts an upgraded Coliseum and Exposition Park at the core of its plan, says Inside the Games, a site devoted to the international event. The official plan, published last Friday, is currently unavailable on the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games' the official site, suggesting that perhaps it was prematurely posted. However, a few images taken from that presentation include a map of the four proposed "clusters" in which Olympic activity will take place. Exposition Park (the Olympic Park) and sites Downtown will form the "Downtown cluster," and utilize venues including the Walt Disney Concert Hall, which will host taekwondo, and the Convention Center (gymnastics). The LA River, the "spine" of the SCCOG's plan, will be where canoeing and kayaking go down.

The Stubhub Center in Carson (the "Avalon cluster") will have hockey, tennis, and rugby, plus cycling in its Velo Sports Center. A "Westside cluster" will include UCLA's Drake Stadium and the Riviera Golf Club; beach volleyball will hosted by Santa Monica Beach. The "Harbor cluster" around Long Beach will make use of the Long Beach Convention Center for judo and wrestling, and the marina for sailing. A blurb currently on the home page of the SCCOG site does confirm that Exposition Park will be the "centerpiece" of the plan, and that the idea of having four hubs of activity is still the plan.

Additionally, two new "new and purpose-built Athletes' Village" sites are planned, one "close to the heart of the city" and the other near the LA River. (It had previously been prophesied that the LA River would
have a part in the Olympic glory, so not too much of a surprise.)

Public transportation played into the proposal, with the SCCOG saying that they are "committed to delivering up to 80 percent of the spectators by public transit," says swimming site Swim Swam, quoting the official bid documents. Considering that the Expo Line be finished, and the Regional Connector will be online, that might actually be true. (Though it'll take you at least two buses to get you to Carson's Stubhub Complex form Downtown.) Now, if only we could lock down transit from LAX.

======================================
May 2, 2014
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...4_olympics.php

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 1:13 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...s-rise-in.html

The Oliver Apartments, under construction in Culver City. 30 apartments, 8,000+ sq ft of ground floor retail, from Bastion Development Group.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 5:04 PM

Looks interesting. I like it.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:05 AM

It's incredible how far wood paneling like that goes. Makes something forgettable and bland at the very least passable. On that detail alone, I like it.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:55 AM

^^^ My thoughts exactly

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:07 PM

Progress update on the Platform at Culver City

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...at-culver.html

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 8:38 AM

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:49 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...win-hills.html

Kaiser's new outpatient facility, scheduled to break ground later this year one block west of the future Crenshaw/MLK subway station. Four stories, 105,000 sq ft, designed by HOK.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
Office tower, apartment complex being built near Pasadena Playhouse

"Tower," is not quite how I'd describe it, but a nice looking building all the same.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 4:33 PM

Yeah, it's not bad at all. This part though makes me wonder if the final product will look as nice:

"Now housing Southwestern Law School, the landmark L.A. building is clad in terra cotta and tarnished green copper. Playhouse Plaza tower will have a similar exterior made of reinforced concrete panels accented with green panels made of fiber-reinforced plastic."

Can plastic in this context look like a quality material?

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Yeah, it's not bad at all. This part though makes me wonder if the final product will look as nice:

"Now housing Southwestern Law School, the landmark L.A. building is clad in terra cotta and tarnished green copper. Playhouse Plaza tower will have a similar exterior made of reinforced concrete panels accented with green panels made of fiber-reinforced plastic."

Can plastic in this context look like a quality material?
Brudy,
that's a very good question, but I don't know the answer. What I do know, however, is that anything can "fool" the eye. I think the better question is, will this pile of nicely designed artificial crap be standing 86 years from now (like the Bullock's Wilshire)--I won't be alive to verify, but I'd say probably not. But no matter, at that time no one will care.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 8:07 PM

In addition to the building at El Molino and Green, there is also another mixed user getting started at El Molino and Union:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...e_district.php

Both of these can be seen on the little development map I made for Pasadena a while back:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...c.ka-BADJybBKc

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 10:23 PM

The West SGV (Pasadena, SP, SM, SM, LC) is one of the greatest places to live in the world. Just stunning. Absolutely love it.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
The West SGV (Pasadena, SP, SM, SM, LC) is one of the greatest places to live in the world. Just stunning. Absolutely love it.
I'd add San Marino, Temple City, and even Arcadia to that list, too.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I'd add San Marino, Temple City, and even Arcadia to that list, too.
I can attest to the niceness of Arcadia in the late 1960's. Now I think that the feel of the city has been destroyed by the ubiquitous and hideous Mac Mansions.

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 7:59 AM

Good news regarding the proposed 16-story building at 6230 Yucca St., Hollywood.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...508-story.html

Quote:
We saw no faults of any kind," said Michael Reader, chief executive office of Group Delta, a geotechnical engineering company. "The report found conclusively that there are no active fault traces on or within 50 feet of the site. The report was filed with the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety as part of efforts to green-light construction for a project that would bring 95 residential units and nearly 14,000 square feet of office space. The site on the southwest corner of Yucca Street and Argyle Avenue is just east of the proposed Millennium Hollywood skyscraper project."

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 1:55 AM

I hope thats true because it bodes well for the Millennium project.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 7:42 AM

If you guys haven't yet, follow this Flickr user for frequent updates on the 40-story 10000 Santa Monica Blvd.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/planetbrent/

10000 Santa Monica Blvd 0196
by Eesomest, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations